Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nomadotto posted:

One of the challenges I've found with trying to get folks together for a Glorantha-set game, is it's hard to give people enough of an info-dump that they can "get into" the fiction without having a huge amount of homework. Is that just the situation with the setting, or is there a good resource to point people to?

I always find setting up a clan beforehand helps as it gives lots of cool hooks. Then just lead into it whilst mentioning all the weirdness as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

My first instinct when I started reading what the game makers considered important about Glorantha as a setting was that a Blades in the Dark hack would be perfect for it. Your crew playbook gets replaced by a clan playbook (with different options for different cultures) and your personal playbook is the cult you belong to. It'd be a lot of work though

Oooof, this would be interesting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I always imagined it to be like those dances people do where they spin till they see things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay so some events you can back up include is what is mentioned in the pre-time section of the KoDP game. For example: Who are your ancient enemies? What happened to your clan during the chaos wars?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Please enjoy this fantastic Esrola priestess art I just got!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JanPospisil posted:

Is that by Jacob Hinds by any chance?

Nooo, it's by a lady I know from LARPing actually!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Invisible Orlanth is closer to the belief that Orlanth Is the Invisible God. I think there is a section written about it in the Ralios subsection.

It isn't fleshed out that much, but essentially the Camarian bloke is convinced that the second the barrier comes down (and it's coming down soon) Camaria is going to get invaded, and so imports the cult as a training method. Because it is closer to a school of magic and not worship of Orlanth it's technically supposed to be okay? But I think it might be more the fact that the empire doesn't have the same amount of control in these places that it thinks it does.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dammit, yes it's the Chariot of Lightning School I was getting it confused with FFS.

Saying that? I always thought they were basically similar.

Also part of me wants to see how the CoL responds when the windstop happens and suddenly everyone starts going "errrr, what the gently caress guys?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This makes me weirdly glad I am no longer on the Glorantha high I was on a few years back. This is still really disappointing though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do like the idea of the Turtle Hsunchen wandering throughout as terrifyingly strong semi trickster figures, able to defy the emperors mandates and acting as both a focus for popular discontent, champions of the neglected and anti-mystic speakers would be quite interesting.

I just like the idea that all draconic mystecism is is a turtle got really up themselves and became the universe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

Oh are we posting our YGWV versions of Kralorela? I've got one of those. FWIW I guess I should say I'm Chinese-American, had similar complaints as other people here about how it's written, and tried what I could to address the weaknesses in what's there now.

That does sound really goddamn cool.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

... God dammit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, so also wondering.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh poo poo the rough guide to glamour is the one with batman? I read that years ago!

Also I always saw the Lunars as Romans from the collapse of the Republic through to the crisis of the 3rd century. In that everything is set up so that it doesn't actually matter who the red emperor is, so long as there is an emperor.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ooof. That is a tough one. Personally I would suggest looking into the idea of the White Moon. There isn't much on that, but it could well serve as a decent guide at the beginning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

Also, wouldn't the fact that they apparently have records from as far back as the God War create a lot of questions about the mythology of Glorantha? Like if there are actually records of the time period that's facts entirely rely on the people who worship it, doesn't that end up meaning that a lot of it really is straight up poo poo people made up to justify whatever? Or those records are written in the style of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-Books.

It's combinational. Sure you can probably have something a little different from last years records, and that might be different from the years before etc. But you've got to remember that when you can connect directly with the gods/ runes it's a lot harder to just "make poo poo up" about them. It's all interpretative.

Though personally, yeah I would change the ever loving hell out of Kralorela. For starters just make it so that Godyuna is a dragon, but it hasn't always been "draconic" run. This is a more recent development as a reaction against the God learner invaders, who saw a lot of the dragon motifs and then used in the pre invasion empire and justified themselves based on descent from them.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 3, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm now imaging this dialogue:

But between someone yelling at an elf.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

I really should've asked this earlier but can you elaborate on this? How was it different, despite being ran by a dragon emperor from the start, did the Dragon just start to gain greater control over the government after merely being a spiritual leader?

Well this is purely based around how I would develop it.

The fact is Dragons have been used as metaphors for the emperor/ imperial line since before the dawn. The mysticism of prior imperial lines easily attaching themselves to the most iconic creatures of Mystic power in Glorantha. But before the invasion of the God learners you have the traditional human rulers simply competing with each other. The various different areas have all thrown up rulers of certain sorts, with different sections rising and falling dependent. It's still human run. The idea of the Exarchs are that they are powerful mystics but they are also not the people really in charge. It's the ones at the level underneath who interpret them that hold a lot of the real administrative power in the empire. The emperor is similar (or can be) their rule is based on Mystic as well as Theistic and Animist rituals, combined with them having a big old army to push in the face of whoever disagrees.

Then the God Learners show up. Like good cultural imperialists they see the dragon motifs, the ways in which the kralorelan people venerate dragons and the rhetoric surrounding the (again, perfectly human) emperors. So they do what every good Cultural Imperialist does. Take something they "know" and find the evidence to match. They start taking over and pushing themselves as the "true draconic heirs to your ancient Mystic truths" horseshit. Destroying armies with fire, transforming themselves into dragons etc.

Then Godyuna shows up, as a reaction to their usage of draconic mysticism and goes "no, you are false" they lose and we end up in the current situation. Godyuna is "in charge" but in actuality a large number of imperial subjects have been arguing with each other about everything especially after Sheng Seleris came and instituted some reforms alongside murdering an entire province.

At least that is how I would like to run things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

This is super cool. Actually some of these (like the idea of the subjects arguing with each other while Godyuna is just like "nothing is real lmao") are ideas I've thought of myself.

It's all relatively simple but I think it can be relatively effective! I really need to do a proper deep dive on the "before the dawn/time" aspect of Kralorela to do a rewrite/ spread some difficulty about what is "true" or not because what sort of good mystic would believe otherwise. And thank you!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I didn't know he was involved in that! Thanks for the info!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

The domestication of humans thing is SUPER loving HORRIFYING JESUS.

Herdmen can actually eat grass and not have it damage their teeth/ internals. The Morokanth also have 1) Special magic that lets the grow thumbs 2) Special magic that means that Herdmen can be trained to think about things and 3)

wiegieman posted:

Morokanth claim that herdmen aren't humans, they just look like them.

They also tend to have a larger number of herdmen after they take captives.

This.

Morokanth are terrifying but mythologically important.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Magic is a pretty important part of survival in Glorantha, and SOME sort of mythic connection to the land in which you live is actually pretty important to your magic working right. Some of the praxian nomads probably do leave Prax, but I doubt they recognizably stay praxian nomads for long, when their magic is so specialized for living in prax.

There were a few Sable Lancer dynasties in what would become the Lunar Empire right?

Also I think the tribes stay there because, well, where else is there? There are still fertile bits and, in one example of true irony, the various different species of animal could all survive on different food there is no explicit need for competition between the tribes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

A Hsunchen mercenary in the Waertagi fleet at the battle of Tanian's Victory, 718 ST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSs9-NDP3E

Gods drat you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Why on earth are they still arising around with a tiny backwater area when Ralios is sat right there

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The entekosiad is fully up there in terms of "poo poo that I have read but cannot understand".

Glorious Re-Ascent is one of my personal favourites because it is so so interesting to see the history of people and to imagine how they survived all the weirdness that the Storm and Chaos ages did to them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh niiiice!

Will have to look into picking this up, is that Ernalda slaying some sort of Chaos creature?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It appears as if Lodril has got back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Haystack posted:

They really missed an opportunity to place that mace so that the base haft was a bit more around the pelvic region, if you know what I mean.

Also, why a mace? Spears are like lodril 101.

I'm assuming this is Southern Lodril, not Northern Lodril? Maybe it means his spear is a bit blunter in the south after the whole "Argan Argar" incident?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mimir posted:

How does being the enemy on a Heroquest work? The example is usually the Summons of Evil, where someone hears a call to be the bad guy, but how do you choose to get involved as a disruptive force? Do you see yourself as the unnamed, minor gods in the opponent's myth, or do you embody your own gods?

Oooh, see it can work in a number of ways. Sometimes it is just you going "hmm, now would be the correct time to act against these people who we dislike" you may not even perceive yourself as being involved in anything more "questey" than going on a raid. Well, at least right up until you get there and the person you are raiding is suddenly glowing. Another example is used where the person is "summoned" and sees the person doing the summoning as far more powerful than expected. One bit of lore related to this is in the history of the Heortling's book, where a Troll heroquester finds himself pulled into the enthronement ceremony of a king but sees the king as Orlanth himself who he manages to get certain concessions from, even as the king gets some concessions from the Troll quester.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Where are the Wasp Riders and the Telmori?

I'd include the Wasp Riders under the "Beast Wilds" group TBH. And weren't the Telmori part of Kallyr's "New Sartar" at this point?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Delecti was a named GL Hero, before he defected to the EWF, I believe?

I think that is correct.

You could also count Marshall Nisaro? He was one of the heroes who helped to destroy the cult of Arkat in Ralios.

The problem is that we are one world spanning apocalypse and 500 years removed from the God Learners, so the individuals do not matter as much.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's also why the Lunars are slowly building up a kind of "karmic debt". One of the big issues that they have is that the straightforward idea of just exploiting things runs up against a lot of competing subsections of myth an politics and it is all going to go wrong in spectacular fashion.

If the Lunars were a bit less concerned with speed running and made sure to tamp down on expectation, or had perhaps stayed as a faction ruling of the Solar Empire for a century or so, then things might be different. As is they have tried to amalgam some of the best aspects of the first age with the God Learners. This will not end well.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

The Lunars respect the original myths and work hard to uncover them. Just look at the Entekosiad, it's a lunar made book that tries to uncover the "original" story of Entekos/Dendara after they got sublimated by Yelmic patriarchal rule.

They respect their version of it, too much Nysalor for them to be able to respect some things that should stay buried. If they'd had stayed in Peloria then maybe, but the continual expansionist drive and the attempt to reconcile chaos is what is leading to problems. Nysalor is Arkat reversed and because of it it means that they are never satisfied with what they have. Their goal is always based around expansion even as the idea of them is based in individual illumination.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah just make the moon white though and it's fine.

I mean... maybe?

This is one of the things I do like is the idea of the moons white face being the generative part of chaos being wrenched into concord with the rest of the world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Just Dan Again posted:

Oh man, Masters of Luck and Death would be really interesting to see. Especially if it's time-shifted into the Hero Wars after Belintar's death- him still managing to come back even after the Lunars hacked him up into pieces (or someone else usurping his full power, or The Only Old One managing to piggyback on Belintar's whole deal to return to the world, or or or...) has seemed like an interesting Glorantha story to me for a while.

I would love it if they think they've brought back Belintar and instead it's just the Only Old One laughing uproariously.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The weird thing I found was that my players complained it wasn't "complex" enough because everything was resolved with d20's.

Which, like, what the hell?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do dislike how the current set up seems to lean heavily on the mythological underpinnings of the current conflict, vs them and the obvious political conflict that is occurring at the same time.

The attempt to define Orlanth as the Barbarian and the attempt to quite literally "otherise" him when Sedenyas resurrection was accomplished through his methods is part of it. That and, as I think I've said in one thread or another, the most interesting aspect of the Red Goddess is that she has not yet become able to apologise for the harm she has caused. Orlanth (having murdered Yelm) makes restitution and apology for his faults, hell he does more than that and ensures the Dawn and makes a plea for friendship with Yelm. But Sedenya has never apologised in her life for her actions. Her attempts to create transcendence have harmed and hurt so many, and yet she believes that it is all for the good.

To me at least the white moon to come is one where Sedenya apologises for her actions, atones, and seeks to rebuild the world a bit better than it was.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Do not read the Entekosiad with the expectation of understanding it. The entire thing may well have been Jeff loving about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ainda_ posted:

EDIT: idk who that first one I linked is supposed to be, I've just assumed its an anonymous moon sorceress of some kind. I'm gonna say she's from the Sister's Army, cuz Deneskerva is cool.

I think that might be Yana Arranis, the horse devouring Goddess that is a daughter of the red emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the sourcebook is probably more useful. The Guide to Glorantha is chock-full of pages devoted to worthless bullshit.

What's the worthless bit. There are so many bits I've stolen to make things more fun in my other games.