Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Great OP, definitely been hyped about the game since the first demo and can’t wait to buy it.

Really dig the 2D-HD style myself. Makes the game stand out, and it looks a lot better in motion than I would have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

This name is terrible. Why isn't it "Eightfold Traveler"? I assume it's a reference to the noble eightfold path anyway.

It was a working title until it wasn’t. I think it was a combination of people liking the dumb name (it’s a jRPG so it’s required to have a dumb name) and the staff not thinking of anything better.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Your Computer posted:

can't sleep so I started blocking out a Bravely Default style Tressa 3D model because obviously that's the best use of my time

That's loving awesome! I'd love to see the rest of the cast like that, though obviously that's a lot to ask.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As far as I know the demo's not going anywhere. No reason really to remove it when it's being used to entice people to try the game in the first place, and since the demo already has a time/content limit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is the origin story of FF4’s Octomammoth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Recruiting other characters is optional though, so it'd be more like FF6's World of Ruin. Sure, they can have some character interaction but having lots of it would mean having to have constant checks for who is/isn't in the party and adjust accordingly, that is a hell of a lot of work to do.

It's a lot of work, sure, but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount of work. It seems like all that interaction could be something that could fit into the scope of everything else they're doing. Limiting things to eight characters helps a lot with that, too.

It'll probably be a combination of party members chipping in for certain quests that may interest them, and something like those friendship spots in Xenoblade where if you have the right characters in your party you can trigger a cutscene to build their friendship a bit. At least I'm hoping it's along that scope. I could and probably will end up disappointed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It feels generally for RPGs, six is the magic number as far as having unique lines for each party member without branching into generic responses, though there are plenty of exceptions either way.

But I guess it really depends here on how far dialogue has come in the past twenty-ish years since games like Chrono Trigger had characters with unique lines pop up. I don't really expect characters in the same party to have unique conversations with each other within certain quest lines, but I'm at least hoping for each character to have unique lines for each quest, even if they're rather generic lines customized for that character's personality, with maybe some sort of party chat or specific points to trigger character-specific cutscenes. I feel like with the team the Octopath devs have and the large scope of their project, it's reasonable to expect each character to have their own voice in the events of the game without everything being generic.

I don't expect the world, of course, but I think it's more reasonable to expect some individuality of the character responses without going all-out in stupid poo poo like Chrono Cross's accent generator.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I hope there's a scene where they decide to call themselves the Octopath Travelers.

I'll still call them the Octopathers though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ONE MORE loving GOD drat WEEK

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sucks to hear about the limited interparty interaction. The story/characters will probably still be as good as the SNES/PS1-era Square RPGs, it just seems they won't be taking that extra step to really make this group of travelers feel like an actual group.

A bit disappointed, but still hyped for the other parts of the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Your Computer posted:

can't believe this game isn't cool and good and is actually bad and terrible, oh well

It's a Square-Enix game, it was always going to be bad and terrible.

I'm still going to buy and enjoy this bad and terrible game though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm probably getting it more for the gameplay myself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That's why you don't pre-order vidjagames! There's literally no reason.

Even if there's some pre-order bonus (and there's not, right?) then you can just "pre-order" the night before it comes out and get the bonus all the same.

Yeah, this. I'm 99% likely going to buy it, but haven't put down money yet on the 1% chance that reviews come out the day before and say "This game really falls apart after the first few hours and devolves into total garbage."

Then again I'm going digital anyway, so it doesn't really matter when I buy it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

hosed up she's only happy about the JoyCons and shoved the Switch itself back in the stocking.

Also hosed up there's only two Octopathlings on the tree.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I’ll probably main Alfyn when I finally play the demo and/or main game. I love generic protags like him.

I also like FF5’s Mix command, so bonus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I thought she was basically like a Beastmaster from FF5? Which of course also predates Pokemon by a few years.

I'm encouraged by how much they're copying FF5, though considering it's the Bravely team, it's also no surprise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, the animals aren't like persistent. You basically collect them and get a fixed amount of times you can summon it into battle. You then have to recollect it if you want to get more summons.

Her wolf is the only exception to this.

That's kinda cool. So basically Beastmaster but !Release isn't one-and-done. Not a bad improvement to that idea.

How many monsters can she hold at one time?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Interesting choice if true to backload all the inter-party development. I'm intrigued how that gets pulled off.

Thursday reviews can't come soon enough (nor can the Friday release of course).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My heart can't take two Zaphods arguing like this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

theshim posted:

tell kotaku to stop loving doxxing me

You better believe I'm going to do solo runs of this baby once I get my first one or two playthroughs done.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally cracked and played the demo. Digging Alfyn so far, Concoct seems awesome from the little I used of it, can't wait to get larger parties. Gonna ration out the next two hours for the rest of the week.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna mix-and-match my POTATO team.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think common advice for slow Amazon shipments is to buy it at a store and return the unopened Amazon copy when it comes in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is loving stupid. Stop being pedantic fools and go to sleep right loving now so you'll maximize your Octopath time tomorrow.

However much time you think you'll need, multiply that by eight. Just means you're going to have to get rid of unnecessary distractions like work, family, and hygiene.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Once again, that's an oversimplification. (And very dismissive)

My posts are the problem though, because I assume you can understand a complex opinion. My bad. You're clearly children who only think in binary terms.

Octopath Traveller will be very fun.

There, is that simple enough for you?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Sort of? It branches the plot and you have to choose left or right.

Now there's a situation that could benefit from an Octopath.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

But what does "Path" mean?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Up in the US!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alfyn to Therion to H’aanit so far. That recent boss was freaking great and made me use everything I had.

I hope the game gets even more brutal as I go.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Terper posted:

It doesn't matter how weak his elemental concoctions are, they still remove the enemy's shields.

This. Two elemental hits is pretty significant for certain foes, and the debuffs are a nice bonus too. I use the basic fire one somewhat regularly since the ingredients for that one are readily available in his hometown's shop.

Plus his healing mixes have been crazy good for me so far. Just got Ophilia as my fourth (taking the ATHOCTOP) and I can still use the basic items to full-heal my entire party with ease, plus the handy SP recovery.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Did you go back to the mansion and inquire the dogs with Alfyn? :3:

Somehow I missed them. Guess what I know I'm doing next time I play!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

oh my god Cyrus is awesome. He's a less dickish Miles Edgeworth.

I don't care if it's redundant I'm totally rolling with Alfyn and Cyrus in my party. I don't really see myself using the Villager Follower path action that much anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is perfection.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don’t think any of the stories are bad, it’s just some are lighthearted and more inconsequential than others, which I’m more than fine with. There’s a good mix for sure.

Also failed to complete the Octopath today, though I have everyone but Primrose now. Should be able to start some Chapter 2’s tomorrow, so looking forward to that!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

So my question is, has anyone noticed that multi attacks do a lot more damage overall? I'm curious if I should beeline for multi-hit skills on my other characters.

Multi-hit are great for breaking tougher monsters or getting free hits in if you break the first hit. Likewise, abilities that hit all foes are great since you can break multiple enemies at once, and eventually randoms aren’t a matter of “Can I clear them?” but “How can I wipe out this trash without taking any damage and possibly in one round?”

As for H’aanit, based on Chapter 1 she’s one of the strongest characters due to the versatility and power of her monsters, plus her one “shoot all enemies multiple times” skill is freaking bonkers and annihilates anything weak to bow attacks.

Honestly versatility seems to be the name of the game due to how the break system works, though I’m sure my opinions will change once I unlock subclasses and suddenly everyone has more flexibility.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ManSedan posted:

After the original demo I went pretty much lights out on this game. Chose Alfyn at the start because I asked my wife who to play and she used to work at an apothecary. I was kind of unsure at first but turns out this dude is super fun! He’s real earnest and I like his combination of abilities. I need to explore more with his concoct ability, any good tips on it?

The heal-all concoctions are really good, does 800HP to everyone which will carry you for a good while, likewise for the SP ones (and I assume BP ones too). The offensive concoctions deal two (and looks like later items can do three) hits of a specific element, with the Fire and Wind ones being readily buyable, with a possible bonus debuff depending on the mix.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

eonwe posted:

hows everyone liking it

I'm liking it.

DLC Inc posted:

How often do sidequests come up? Should I be finding any so far?

For Chapter 1 they pop up after you do a character's quest and recruit them. There's 2-4 per city, and a lot of them require travel between cities and what have you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phenotype posted:

If he can't break an enemy with axes or ice and no one needs healing, I'm stuck whacking a guy for negligible damage for most of his turns.

His offensive concoctions deal two hits of an element and are very useful at minimum for breaking Fire and Wind weaknesses since you can buy those ingredients easily and cheaply.

As for AoE, most characters have an AoE for one weapon or element that's part of their unlockable skills. Some, like H'aanit's, are really good since they're also multi-hit, plus her companion creature can also multi-hit. Olberic starts with his outright. And Cyrus is pretty much nothing but AoE, with his more expensive techs hitting twice to boot, and he has that for three different elements, so if you're wanting AoE Cyrus is a fantastic choice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shyfted One posted:

Which Alfyn axe skill should I get first?

Last Resort, even at high HP it does solid damage, and target-all is always great to have for randoms/boss adds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Other complaint just being that I think the story structure feels like it's going to be a mess jumping back and forth between 8 unrelated plot threads all at once. Maybe as I get further it'll be more gentle but right now it's kind of hard to stay motivated when I have to sit through 8 intros back to back. That's just me though

I kinda wonder whether it might be better to do two separate games of four-person parties to experience everything rather than just one game of all eight. Less micromanagement that way, which is always nice.