Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm now going to decide whom I want to pick first, because that's the character who'll be in my party permanently.

This is a difficult decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpMZhpNRwWY

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A random number generator told me to start with H'aanit, and then there was a locked chest in her starting town so I'm getting Therion next. Maybe I'll just recruit everybody in reverse order, like HTAPOTCO

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm definitely going to be spending this entire game abusing NPCs. Robbing them, having leopards maul them, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mill Village posted:

Are the only healers Alfyn and Ophelia? I may have to rethink my team.

H'aanit can catch monsters that have healing moves, and I assume Primrose (and Ophilia, but that'd be redundant) can recruit some NPCs who know healing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Are there any negative repercussions to Provoking and beating the crap out of everyone possible? Will they stay knocked out forever and lock me out of potential sidequests or something?

If you leave the town and come back they'll be conscious again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I stole a Golden Axe from an old man, just to see if I liked the idea of savescumming for rare steals (I don't, and I probably won't do it again). This thing has about five times as much attack power as any weapon I've seen for sale, it's fantastic.

Now I have to decide whether to recruit Ophilia or Primrose next.

I love how everybody keeps saying similar things, but they're always different similar things.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Iverron posted:

Does the Dialogue get a little less flowery and verbose after everyone’s first chapter? I’m getting Persona 5 flashbacks of pressing through dialogue that doesn’t really add anything to the plot and seems to repeat / drone on endlessly.

When H’aanit have a 10 page long soliloquy to a mindless monster about the circle of life my eyes almost rolled out of my head.

Goofy faux-archaic dialog is the gimmick from H'aanit's area, which is remote and rustic. They speak differently in other places.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Wow, elderly woman in Alf's village is a max strength challenge.

And if you use Inquire on her, you will probably learn why.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Harrow posted:

Getting around to actually playing this now. Two questions now that the game is actually out:

1. To what degree does your starting character matter? I know they can't leave the party, but is there anything other than that? (Minor spoilers are okay if you've completed the game and there's something where your main character takes focus or something--I don't need specifics but just like "yes, there are story elements where your main character matters" is enough detail, if anyone knows that much anyway.)

You can't remove your starting character from the party until you've finished their story. If you pick a starting character whose path ability is extremely similar to another's (like, say, Alfyn and Cyrus, or Primrose and Ophilia), that can marginally increase the inherent awkwardness involved with recruiting a new character past the fourth one, but that's something you were going to have to deal with anyway.

While you can recruit the other seven in any order you want, geographically speaking, some will be easier to access than others, and you'll always end up with a balanced party if you recruit only characters who are adjacent to characters you've already recruited.

Mathematically speaking, every choice involves tradeoffs that can't easily be compared, so really, the best thing you can do is start with the one whose sprite and voice clips you like best. I started by letting a random number generator tell me my first character (H'aanit), and the effects of this choice are so subtle and complex that I think no prior description could have helped me decide which one I now think I'd actually like to have started with.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love it when I find a child who has candy in their inventory, because it means I can steal the candy from them.

I don't need the candy. I don't even know how much HP a candy heals, because I've never used any of the candy I've stolen so far. I just want the NPCs not to have it any more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So hey, do H'aanit's summons scale off her own stats, or do they have stats of their own like Ophilia's and Primrose's?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can't guide or allure NPCs that are blocking doors.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who really didn't like Primrose's chapter 1. :sigh: The overarching story about getting revenge on the people who murdered her father is interesting, but the sexual abuse stuff really felt kind of... not fine. I just feel like JRPGs might not be the right format for that sort of stuff.

I know some people who are skipping the whole game because of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, I got the eight basic jobs, so I guess it's time for me to start going after chapter 2s. But now I'm facing all new indecision about what jobs to allocate where. It seems clear that the JP ramp-up will be exponential. Anybody got a list of what all the passive skills are?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

Nah JP is calculated per job. So it's always 30/100/500/1000/3000/5000 to unlock all the skills in any given job.

Er, I mean that JP earned ramps up exponentially.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

This has all the ones for basic jobs.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7479-octopath-traveler-passive-skills-passive-skills-for-all-classes

Go for Thief 3 early and stick it on a Merchant so you can get all the money.

The author seems to have listed these abilities in alphabetical order instead of unlock order, but thanks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope somebody out there has documented which skits can appear at what times. That seems like the sort of obsessive gimmick that I'd follow a guide for, given the opportunity.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I admit it bugs me a little bit that they went with fake archaic when they definitely knew what they were doing well enough to have gone with real archaic instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What chapter is this in? Also, what order is every party scene in? I want to see as many of these as possible and I don't want to have to stumble around finding the right party combinations all the time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

These skills don't check accuracy and hit 50% of the time, but will always hit at least three times.

What!

Well, that explains it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also outside of quests what's the point of provoking/challenging people? They don't seem to drop their stealable items (though sometimes they drop consumables?), they barely give any exp and it only goes to one party member.

If they're standing in front of a house, challenging them and winning lets you go inside. Within the house you might find good loot (it may need to be activated as a hidden item through Inquire/Scrutinize first) or additional sidequest elements.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems you can't check the cost for a reputation repair until you actually need one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

Finished up all the Chapter 1 missions and moved on to Therion's Chapter 2 and I'm just getting wrecked. Took a break and leveled my party (Ophelia, Cyrus, and that Beastmaster girl whose name is impossible) up to the recommended level 22 but I party wiped with the boss' HP in the red.

Am I still under-leveled or is there some trick to this fight that I'm missing?

Did you find any shrines along the way to any of the chapter 2 towns?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elderbean posted:

What triggers the party banter? I haven't seen any of it yet.

It happens only during chapters (not in free play), starting in chapter 2, and requires you to have the participants in your party. They unlock after plot events.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I want a big spreadsheet with the locations of all the equipment in the game and where to steal it from

here you go

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have found information concerning the requirements for accessing the party chat scenes. I haven't verified it, but it seems to have been transcribed from a Japanese strategy guide. If you're like me and want to see all of it, here's basically how it works.

In each chapter 2, 3, or 4, you can get one-on-one conversations between the chapter's main character and each of the other characters. Each one requires you to have that character in your party. They're unlocked after doing a plot scene in that chapter, and are accessible only until the next plot scene. Since the chapter plots are linear, that just means you've got to rotate the characters through your party in the right order and you can be confident you'll see them all. So here's the orders, broken down by character then by chapter.

Ophilia
2. Cyrus, Alfyn, Primrose, Tressa, H'aanit, Therion, Olberic
3. Tressa, H'aanit, Cyrus, Therion, Alfyn, Primrose, Olberic
4. Therion, Primrose, H'aanit, Tressa, Alfyn, Olberic, Cyrus

Cyrus
2. Ophilia, Primrose, Tressa, Therion, H'aanit, Alfyn, Olberic
3. Olberic, H'aanit, Therion, Tressa, Alfyn, Primrose, Ophilia
4. H'aanit, Therion, Alfyn, Primrose, Ophilia, Olberic, Tressa

Tressa
2. H'aanit, Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, Alfyn
3. Ophelia, Therion, H'aanit, Olberic, Cyrus, Primrose, Alfyn
4. Cyrus, Ophilia, H'aanit, Therion, Alfyn, Olberic, Primrose

Olberic
2. Cyrus, Primrose, Tressa, H'aanit, Ophilia, Alfyn, Therion
3. Cyrus, H'aanit, Primrose, Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa, Therion
4. Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia, Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit, Tressa

Primrose
2. Ophilia, Tressa, Alfyn, Cyrus, Olberic, Therion, H'aanit
3. Tressa, Cyrus, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, H'annit, Alfyn
4. Cyrus, Therion, Tressa, Ophilia, Olberic, H'aanit, Alfyn

Alfyn
2. H'aanit, Olberic, Cyrus, Tressa, Therion, Primrose, Ophilia
3. Tressa, Therion, Ophilia, Cyrus, Primrose, H'aanit, Olberic
4. Tressa, Cyrus, Primrose, Olberic, Ophilia, Therion, H'aanit

Therion
2. Tressa, Olberic, Primrose, H'aanit, Alfyn, Cyrus, Ophilia
3. Tressa, Cyrus, H'aanit, Primrose, Alfyn, Ophilia, Olberic
4. Tressa, Alfyn, Olberic, Ophilia, H'aanit, Cyrus, Primrose

H'aanit
2. Cyrus, Primrose, Tressa, Therion, Olberic, Ophilia, Alfyn
3. Ophilia, Therion, Cyrus, Tressa, Olberic, Primrose, Alfyn
4. Tressa, Cyrus, Ophilia, Olberic, Therion, Primrose, Alfyn

Additionally, after you've completed any character's chapter 4, there are party chat scenes that can be viewed by bringing certain combinations of three or four characters into a tavern. These can be done in any order, so here's the checklist if you want it.

- Ophilia, Cyrus, Tressa
- Olberic, Cyrus, Tressa
- Therion, H'annit, Ophilia
- H'aanit, Ophilia, Cyrus
- Olberic, Primrose, Tressa
- Olberic, Primrose, Alfyn
- Primrose, Alfyn, Therion
- Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit
- Olberic, Alfyn, Ophilia
- Primrose, Therion, Cyrus
- Olberic, Therion, Ophilia
- Olberic, Therion, Cyrus
- Alfyn, H'aanit, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Cyrus
- Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Tressa
- Olberic, Alfyn, Cyrus
- Primrose, Therion, H'aanit, Cyrus
- Olberic, Alfyn, Ophilia, Tressa
- Primrose, H'aanit, Cyrus, Tressa

Now that I have this information, I can continue the story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Does boosting Olberic's abide skill give him more of a damage buff?

Use the Y button to toggle the tooltip when picking a skill after boosting. It'll show you the effect, which is just that it multiplies the duration.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Is stealing path action chance based on level at all or is it static based on the item?

I think the probability increases slightly with Therion's level. There are NPCs who, when successfully inquired or scrutinized, increase the stealing rate as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Can someone help me with a boss? I'm stuck on this giant guy with 2 smaller dudes behind him. I don't know the bosses name but it has like... 1 move is a slash that hits everyone and then he has a move where he charges up with a purple glow. Any help would be really great he's super difficult!

That's like half the bosses. Which character and chapter are you on?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Flowery fake archaicisms own.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lhet posted:

Just picked up this and it's super awesome, I'm really getting into it, went Tressa->Therion->H'aanit, Alfyn, and am finishing up Olberic's story.
Quick question on stats: Are secondary job stats the same as primary-job stats? e.g. if you had a lvl 20 Tressa w/ Warrior and a Lvl 20 Olberic w/ Merchant, would their stats be equal, or does the primary jobholder get a bit more of their job's statboosts?

The secondary job grants a fixed percentage boost to base stats. The primary job has a much larger effect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Even at a 25% chance? It's worth the 3000 JP?

When do you know that it's proccing?

At the end of the turn, when you find yourself either getting the bonus action or not.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Has anyone come across animal warriors (rats, froggen, etc) that do Staff damage?

Bears from the snowy area.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The line in the spoiler-tagged image is rhyming slang.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Primrose is patient and the trail isn't about to go cold, so she can help out her new friends while walking all the way to the other side of the realm.

The thing about Therion is that in regard to his loner schtick he's obviously full of poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Passive skills can be equipped in any job. For active skills, you have to currently be in that job to use them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure that items you steal are the same as the items that drop. Consult this spreadsheet, maybe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quinquadecapath Traveler is gonna fuckin own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octopath has more to do with SaGa than with Final Fantasy, but it's far more its own thing than Bravely was.