Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Terper posted:

poo poo I forgot to add the "Which character are you starting with?" poll

I'm starting with either Cyrus or Alfyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Alright, having played the demo, I think I can answer some questions regarding the characters:

I started off with Cyrus. He was pretty cool. Definitely the Black Mage of this game in terms of skills. When I completed his prologue, while Cyrus's story will continue in Quarrycrest, given that I do not know where it is, I decided to recruit the other travelers. I went for Tressa first, which is where I discovered that you basically get to play through the first half of her prologue, before I was allowed to recruit her. But from the text, I understood that I couldn't take her out of the town before I actually finish her immediate problem which was to deal with some pirates led by two goons named Mikk and Makk. But because I didn't start as her, for the second half of her prologue, my main (AKA Cyrus) was now fighting alongside her for the part where she would have gone it alone. Once I actually got her for reals, I went further downwards to Cobbleston and picked up Olberic, using him alone for the first part of his prologue story, then our team (consisting of Cyrus and Tressa) assisting him for latter part. My demo hours ran out when I finally got the cave where Gaston (aka Olberic's Prologue Boss) awaits us.

Since I managed to learn two skills for Tressa (Trade Tempest and Donate BP) and one for Olberic (The early Spear skill that I can't remember the name of right now), as well as 2 skills (Lightning and Analyze) for my main Cyrus, and also managed to level up all three (AKA full HP and SP for everyone) when my time was up, I'll be transfering this demo save to the real game, but I have a guest account I can use to experiment with the other characters.

Furthermore, I like that the locations that each character starts in means no matter whether you'll do a clockwise/counterclockwise or simply recruit the characters closest to your starting location, you can get all the four types of field actions early into your party. It also means that the character whose field action overlaps with yours is in the location furthest away from you meaning you always have the chance to recruit three characters to round out every type of field action for a full party of four before you can recruit duplicates.

EDIT: Speaking of Cyrus, holy crap! At the end of his story, the figure that appears when he leaves the town looks like one of the three Crow Men from the intro of Primrose's story.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 15, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I went from Tressa to Cyrus :toot::hf::toot:

Some observations I've made from the demo:
- The demo only lets you do the prologue of each character and the demo won't let you go outside the circle of roads connecting all the characters
- Looks like the story of each character might be more important than I thought anyway? :v: The only pointer on where to go next is a quest marker pointing to each character's "Chapter 2" (I had both Tressa and Cyrus' pointing to Quarrycrest though)
- The maps are a bit disappointing. It's basically pretty hallways and random encounters, no world map. Also every single screen has a save point?
- Combat scales, at least in the character quests. The recommended level for recruiting the characters also went up as I progressed.
- Apparently you can clear your bad reputation at inns, presumably for a fee?
- Tressa owns

Well, yeah, judging by the trailers, both Tressa and Cyrus's Chapter 2 are located in Quarrycrest.

Anyways, I'm probably going to just run and pick up every single character before I progress once I get the main game.

But really, the genius of how the paths are set up make for some genius recruiting in terms of path actions: If you go clockwise as Cyrus (Information), he'll probably recruit Tressa (Items) first, then Olberic (Fight), then Primrose (Guide). Do the opposite, and you get Ophilia (Guide), Ha'anit (Fight), and Therion (Items). If you decide to recruit the ones closest to your starting location, you could pick either Ophilia (Guide) or Tressa (Items), then pick up the other one, then get a choice between Olberic or Ha'anit (Fight). See a pattern here? And this is basically the same for every character in this game. No matter whether you choose to go clockwise or counterclockwise or mix it up, you will have a chance to get a four-man party with every type of path action before you get characters with path actions that achieves something that someone in your party already can with their path action.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Well, that sounds a little bit better. I definitely hope it picks up later.

Part of me wonders if the character recruitment process is just kind of a fluke because they couldn't quite make it work because of how many different permutations of party configurations there could be as you go, so all you're really doing is playing through each character's prologue and then after that things actually start, because they know you have all eight? I dunno.

If it were me, I might have made these prologues a "flashback" or something. Like start with the whole party around a campfire or something and you pick who tells their backstory first, then just play through all the prologues solo and pick up from there.

Ah, that makes sense. So far I've only really played as Cyrus so I only had a rogue path action to work with.

For people who have played several/all of the prologues: which characters have the most compelling plot setups for you? Cyrus's kinda left me cold so I'm shopping around for who I'm going to pick as my "main" character.

Currently, the most compelling stories for me are Cyrus, Alfyn, Tressa, and Olberic's stories, and those four are probably gonna end up as my main party. That said, the others also did catch my eye (except for Ophilia, but that's because I haven't gotten around to actually do any of her stuff.)

Besides, I have a secondary desire to know whether or not the person who shows up at the end of Cyrus's prologue is one of the three crow men that killed Primrose's father.

Terper posted:

The inter-party character interactions are absolutely my biggest "Hmmm??", and have been for quite a while. With that said, a month or so back, Gameinformer wrote up their thoughts on the preview event some journalists went to, and they did detail an event between two party members.

That is freaking neat.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is somewhat amusing to me that mild-mannered, kind-hearted Alfyn's only available weapon (without sub-jobs, of course) is a big ol' giant axe. I kinda figured he'd use daggers and bows or something.

AMPUTATION! :black101:

What amuses me most about that is that Alfyn is the one that has the direct damage Axe skills. I'm probably going to make his subclass a Scholar down the line.

Incidentally, it seems that the classes that have both physical direct damage skills using their weapons and magic direct damage skills of elemental nature only have one single-target elemental spell (with the rest of their direct damage skills using one of their weapons, if they can equip more than one weapon). By contrast, the ones that don't have physical direct damage skills have at least one single-target and one multi-target spell of one particular uncommon element amidst various other skills, while Cyrus has 6 spells, two each for the more common Fire, Ice, and Lightning elements, that deal multi-target damage (with 3 of them hitting twice), and Olberic has physical direct damage skills for both sword and spear on top of his other skills.

What this means basically amounts to:

Cyrus can use Staves with his normal attack action, but does not have any attack skills that uses the Staff to do direct damage. But he has direct damage spells among his skillset that lets him hit no less than three elemental weaknesses (Fire, Ice, and Lightning) + versions of them that hits all enemies twice (and one skill that let's him see the HP of enemies + see any unrevealed weaknesses they have).

Tressa can use Bows and Spears with her normal attack action, but do not have direct damage skills for either of them. Her direct damage skills that come from her own power are the single-target and multi-target Wind elemental spells (the skill that let's you summon hired help might add more ways for her to damage enemies, but I'm not sure since I haven't used it, and the rest of her skills are support skills).

Olberic can use Swords and Lances and has direct damage skills for both of them (in addition to support skills befitting a physical attacker).

Primrose has one single-target and one multi-target dark spell in her skillset. The rest are support moves. In addition, she can use Daggers with her normal attack action.

Alfyn can only use an Axe, and his skillset has a single-target ice spell and direct damage Axe skills (but only two of them so far because he also has a variety of healing magic + one spell that poisons enemies). There's also his Concoct talent that I haven't tested out fully.

Therion can use Daggers and Swords, but his skillset only has direct damage skills for his Dagger weapon + 1 single-target Fire spell.

H'aanit can use Axes and Bows, but her skillset only has direct damage skills for her Bow weapon + 1 single-target Lightning spell.

I'd bet Ophilia won't have any attack skills that uses the Staff that she's able to use with her normal attacks, while she's going to have one single-target and one multi-target Light spell in her skillset along with a plethora of healing and support skills.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eeyo posted:

At least one concoct combination I tried dealt fire damage. I think I'm going to buy a bunch of ingredients and test it out later. So far it hasn't been explained at all in the tooltips but I may have missed it.

Thought there might be something like that with his Concoct skill.

Also, judging by the icons, Cyrus's eight skill that's currently a mystery for now seems to be something that helps allies. Tressa's eight skill seems to be something that does physical damage, as is Olberic's, and Primrose's also seem to be something that helps allies.

Harrow posted:

Alfyn having the Final Fantasy Chemist-style Mix ability is definitely a strong argument in favor of making him my main character, honestly

I wonder what would make the best subclass for him. Depending on how rare/precious ingredients are, Scholar might be redundant if he can deal other kinds of elemental damage with mixes.

Hm... is Concoct able to be boosted? If not, the Scholar will have value.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 15, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I picked Tressa to start with. Her hired help lets her spend money to use an attack that targets all enemies. Your options are:

Mercenary- $150, sword attack on all enemies and boost defense for all allies
Bandit- $800, Axe attack on all enemies
Dancer- $2,500, Dagger attack on all enemies with a chance of inflicting status ailments
Cleric- $10,000, Light attack on all enemies
Veteran Soldier- $30,000, Powerful sword attack on all enemies

Boosting causes them to hit multiple times like normal attacks do, but doesn't change the cost.

So she can get access to a bunch of other elements, but unless there's some serious money inflation later on (which is possible, this is a JRPG) you probably won't use most of them in random encounters.

That probably sounds like something you'll get the most use out of in the lategame when money isn't quite as big a problem.

Also, Primrose's seventh skill appears to do a random effect on enemies. I've seen a Wind elemental attack done from it.

I don't think it's going to be a skill that can be relied on though.

I find it interesting that all the support characters so far has at least one move or talent that can shore up on their weapon/elemental attacks but are either unreliable or rely on resources other than SP and equipping the right weapons. Now I just need to see Ophilia's skill set.

(For the record, the characters of an offensive bent appear to be Cyrus, Olberic, Therion, and H'aanit who all have multiple attacks in their skillset that let them reliably hit enemy weaknesses.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Does it matter that much who I start with? Does it seem like it may impact the long term narrative or anything?

Well, the first one you start with will have an easier time finishing their Chapter 1. Once you start recruiting other characters, the Chapter 1 and starting region, more enemies will be battled per encounter, and you'll eventually get introduced to tougher enemies alongside the weaker ones. Each character's Chapter 1 boss also get tougher with higher stats, more Shield Points, an expanded moveset, and more advanced tactics to make up for the fact that your party is getting bigger and stronger and are more able to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. Though this seems to only be done to let you start with anyone, be able to go and recruit the rest, and still get progressively more challenging (in a mostly fair way) fights (as well as getting everyone up to speed in terms of levels) during the starting phase, since the Chapter 2 stories have fixed levels from what I can see on the world map (Primrose has one of the lower Chapter 2 level caps at only 21 compared to some of the other travelers).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

I really like Alfyn as a starting character. He has a good plot setup and I really loved how he fuckin' smack-talked a snake before and after beating the poo poo out of it :allears: I think he's gonna be the dude I stick with as my "main character" guy.

It's probably just H'aanit. The four prologues I've played (Alfyn, Olberic, Primrose, and Cyrus) all had totally modern English dialog writing.

Alfyn is my second favorite (my favorite is Cyrus). He owns! :allears:

Definitely starting up a second save file with Alfyn as my main once the game comes out.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh yes, one more thing: Both boss themes (that I've heard) are dope as hell! Game is gonna own on the music front!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I honestly think that if you wanted to go full support Ophilia, you could subclass her as a merchant just for the BP donation ability. It’d also let you get the support ability that lets you have a 25% chance to use items for free, so you could just have a heal/BP donating/item chucking/ buff giving support monster that’s facilitates the rest of the fighters. I wonder if the item support ability from Merchant could also be useful for Alfyn’s concoct ability’s, though I have my doubts about that. You can also subclass Merchant to Cyrus and have him have fire/water/earth/wind attacks and while I didn’t pick them, I’m sure Rest or the one that lets you 100% dodge the next hit would be useful on characters too.

EDIT: I checked the subreddit and someone mentioned something that was really cool. No matter who you start with, if you collect characters clockwise or counterclockwise, the first 4 characters you get will always have unique path actions therefore letting you have access to all of them relatively easily from the beginning of the game. Just thinking about the amount of thought and planning that must’ve gone into this game is really staggering and it just makes me love this game more. :allears:

You could even pick characters on one path, then decide that no, you want characters that are on the other end, and no matter how many characters you ended up recruiting on the clockwise path, going counter-clockwise still gives you a full party that contains all path actions before you get to the duplicates. Or even if you zigzag and recruit everyone close to you first, you can still get a full party with all types of path actions. It's extremely well planned.

Also, apparently, while boosting does boost it, some say that Tressa's Hired Help does not scale when you level her up, which means the ability will lose it's luster later on as a means of getting her all kinds of weaknesses with good damage (but still works for just hitting elemental weaknesses to get you that much closer to whittling down an enemy's shield points).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Not really. Helps that their stats and skillset are all optimized to excel in the role of their primary class.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Incidentally, one of the reasons that random encounters are used is because the developers thought that having enemies visible on screen could have led to confusion about how to interact with them (Path Actions and the like) so random encounters were used instead.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gUd2cx3GY

As noted in this box art analysis, all of the eight characters are equally important, so whoever is the main character is entirely up to you. :kimchi:

(Also has some cool notes about the placements of the characters on the boxart and so on.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

clearly they don't know the the most important metric: how cool and/or adorbs is this character

They are all very cool and adorbs.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Because she has a hat.

Alfyn does not have a hat.

Checkmate.

Alfyn has a ponytail.

Tressa does not have a ponytail.

(His associated color is also green, which is my favorite color.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

You know, after hearing all the pre-boss battle themes, I must say that they are all pretty awesome! My favorite of them is Cyrus (For Truth), then Alfyn (For Succor), H'aanit (For Master), Tressa (For Treasure), Ophilia (For Light), Olberic (For Redemption), Therion (For Freedom), and finally Primrose (For Revenge).

(Also like that, like the pre-boss battle themes, each of the characters' starting town and area use their instruments.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Standest thou against me? Then be hunted!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry but this is straight up wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ptY2mxE9M

So extremely good

Personally, I'm partial to Cyrus's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LNu6LbKRmU

Also his boss intro version, For Truth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8tmac5y_HY

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

BTW all attacks hitting enemies in the Break State get the bonus for hitting weaknesses on top of the bonus for hitting an enemy in the break state. Which means that all broken enemies should be hit with your most powerful skills at max boost when applicable, not weakness-hitting attacks/skills.

In addition, magic damage will never crit, but will always hit the chosen enemy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Also boosted melee means more attacks, so after you break the remaining hits gain the broken boost.

Whike boosted abilities/magic do tons of damage but are still just 1 hit. So they should be broken first.

The game is gonna be all about building boost while healing and using items and then timing who uses boost on what attack when.

Only just got 3 characters in the demo, having a party of 4 should make things interesting.

So far I like boost a lot. Its basically Bravely Default's mechanic except better.

Also if you haven't seriously try Primrose. Her unique class ability lets her seduce NPCs into becoming battle summons. Its such a cool mechanic, going through town eyeing up the NPCs to see who would be the best escort.

(Shout out to the 'old woman' who was max level but only a 2% chance of seduction success)

A little correction to that: Boosted melee means more attacks in some cases (most notably, normal attacks, which does not have the multiplier on them like most other attack skills, and on attack skills with a fixed power like Tressa's Hired Help, Alfyn's concoctions, and the Summon talent on the Guide characters... might possibly apply in some ways to H'aanit's Beast Lore as well). As this multiplier is the biggest increase in damage output, you generally do not want to attack with normal attacks when you finally break an enemy.

Also, certain magic spells (alright, it's mostly Cyrus's) can hit twice as well.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I still think it's hilarious how all of these characters have really JRPG motivations, summed up well in their themes "For Freedom", "For Truth", "For Revenge", "For Master" etc. and then there's Tressa who's literal only motivation is "see the world and find treasure yay :toot:"

For Treasure!

Really though, every character basically have their motivations laid out in their pre-boss themes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Whelp, after hearing one of the datamined tracks, I am fully convinced that this game is going to utterly own in the music department.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

That was clear from the demo

Well, it was just made even more clearer to me. Dang, this soundtrack is godly!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

There's a review (or is it a preview?) of Octopath Traveler out in Japanese: https://www.4gamer.net/games/368/G036845/20180619012/

I don't think there's any important spoilers in the article as it's pretty barebones, but there's a screenshot that shows a scene between Ophilia and Cyrus so character interactions between the main cast are now without a doubt a thing in the game.

Someone on reddit also machine translated the review to see what it said. I do like the part about the sprites deliberately being limited in expression so that the players use their own imagination as to what the characters' expressions are, thus making them feel more involved in the story. And depending on your party makeup, certain events can be triggered so it definitely seems that who you have with you does matter in the long run.

Given how the limited expressions on the sprites allow for a degree of imagination, combined with eight stories that you can do however you want + interactions depending on who you're using and so on, this seems very very awesome! What each player choose to experience for themselves seem to be very important to this game's makeup.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 2, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

minya posted:

It seems certain characters are just objectively more powerful than others, yeah? I started with H'aanit and her beast summon thing was so much stronger than anything Therion or Alfyn could muster.

H'aanit's beasts can get mighty powerful, but higher-level beasts are much more difficult to capture (particularly the secret bosses which seems to have a 1 to 3% capture rate depending on HP depleted... and apparently how many weaknesses you discovered on it), have far less uses, and if it uses single-target attacks or heals it will pick an eligible target at random. It's the price to pay for being able to boost it compared to other characters' talents.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Apparently, according to someone (who didn't provide a source, which makes me think he found a Japanese source and translated that) Primrose's story will explore the "darkness of humanity" while Cyrus's story will explore the "darkness of the word itself".

Huh...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bean posted:

Doesn’t Reddit have some pet theory about having four more classes? Sounds like there’s your four extra gods right there.

Yes, basically. The theory is that there are four additional classes with Divine Skills named after the last 4 Gods that will provide additional subclass options.

I kind of find it believable. Especially when we still don't have a Stat-raising skill for all the stats yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

The names of the four final jobs were revealed:

-Warlord
-Enchanter
-Augur
-Rune Lord

Although these apparently came from Nintendo France so they might not be the official english names.

Hell yeah!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

On the four new jobs:

Rune Lord: Essentially the Spellblade of the game. Or Spell Fencer or Mystic Knight if you prefer. Buff yourself to add an element to your physical attacks (unsure if it's only for normal attacks) and whenever you do a physical attack, a magic attack will trigger at the end and hurt the enemy. Due to that, characters that have high elemental attacks might actually be better for this class than the physical attackers.

Enchanter: Spells that hit thrice but are expensive to cast. Has Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Wind magic and might have the other two elements as well.

Augur: Seems to have what appears to be a random magic attack and a couple of buffs like regen.

Warlord: Can equip every weapon in the game and comes with attack skills for at least Sword, Lance, and Axe. The physical counterpart to the Enchanter.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

oh hey it's one of my favorite rpg classes :toot:

what's the deal with these extra jobs anyway, though? I guess you get the option to turn your characters into them (instead of multi-jobbing I assume)?

I think they're subclass options.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Also, some people are more receptive to one path action than the other, and everyone in town can be made more receptive to path actions if you inquire/scrutinize certain people.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

One thing I was confused about in the demo: when playing as Tressa and it says she found more money, is that something automatically added to your inventory or do you have to find it somewhere on the map?

It's automatically added to your money count. I believe it's based on how many enemies you killed before entering another screen (the stronger the enemy, the higher the money).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who likes Alfyn. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the least popular protagonist.

I think it's less that he's the "least popular protagonist" and more that he's "everyone's second favorite character after their favorite character in this game".

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

So is Tressa the mirror to H'aanit in combat then? Because Tressa has (gains?) an ability to spend money to have a human mercenary come in and do one attack.

Given that H'aanit's talent expands her attack options in battle, I'd say Olberic is the mirror to her with his more defensively-focused moveset and also being a physical attacker type.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Them some fightin' words, mate:

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1016279221025550336?s=19

https://twitter.com/ShadowForks/status/1016458830027214848

This is gonna be an interesting game to say the very least.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

So does,the mercenary thing. Like you can pay some money and get a sword attack going for Tressa even though she doesn’t carry swords.

Yeah, but unlike H'aanit, Tressa doesn't have physical skills that use her actual weapons (her divine skill is non-elemental) and work better as a mirror to Therion's abilities... or Alfyn's, come to think of it. Alfyn's Concoctions give him elemental variety for break purposes with non-scaling moves, just like Tressa's Hired Help for physical weapons.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was just eight separate personal stories either because it's actually kinda fresh.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Well, I'm going with team COAT. (Cyrus, Olberic, Alfyn, Tressa... actually, Alfyn is before Olberic on my team set-up but COAT just sounds better,)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any reason you shouldn't steal anything and everything as Therion, aside from the potential for reputation hit? Like could it affect side quests if NPCs no longer have certain items, or you can't guide them into battle anymore?

Well, one lategame town has you fork out 100000 cash to restore your reputation if you gently caress up so...