Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

This name is terrible. Why isn't it "Eightfold Traveler"? I assume it's a reference to the noble eightfold path anyway.

I don't like it when people want unique things to be blanded up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I accidentally hit quote instead of edit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started with Cyrus, but then met Tressa and did her storyline. I'm on the Tressa bandwagon now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was dumbfounded when Tressa's mom had a Minnesota accent. It was actually pretty refreshing to hear that in a European style fantasy setting JRPG.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She was older but that had no bearing on the Minnesota accent the VA used.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

well fair enough, i've never been to minne

Me neither but I've seen Fargo at least.

What happens when you hit the 3 hour mark? I'm afraid of getting booted from the game and not having saved.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a GameXplain video where he xplains that due to the way the game is structured, there isn't much interaction between the party members. Each character is basically alone in the cutscenes in their particular storylines. There are times where party members do talk to each other but he gave the impression that they're few.

Also keep in mind, your starting character can't be taken out of the party at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's probably going to be one of the biggest criticisms from the game and I bet a sequel would do better about it. That said, I'm still hyped for next week.

Tressa.gif

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phenotype posted:

If I start the demo with X character, does that lock me in to my "main" character when the full game comes out?

Yeah. Your starting character can't leave your party.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No game reviewer has beaten it yet because completing each story gives you a Melody and getting all eight melodies unlocks an official English version of Mother 3 which you have to beat in order to get the true interconnected ending.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The true ending is finding out Tressa's last name is Walton and she founds a mega department store that over takes the world and destroys small businesses and squases labor unions and consumer protection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mine shipped yesterday and will be arriving tomorrow. But it's being shipped via FedEx and probably while I'm at work so :cripes:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo sent out an email promoting Octopath Traveler and at the bottom was a poll.

Cyrus is a popular boy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would it be :filez: if someone were to post the PDF of all of them?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty glad this game doesn't use the ZL/ZR triggers because it feels so perfect playing it with my SNES 8bitdo controller.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been playing in Japanese and when Cyrus casts a spell it sounds like he's saying "Because it's you!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What am I supposed to do about those Wind Wisps in Chapter 2 of Cyrus's story that do 500 damage to my party?

Edit: I think I'm just severely underleveled.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cyrus chapter 2 story chat:

So Odette tells Cyrus she'd help him find clues about the Hell book if he could figure out what happened to the people who went missing. Cyrus finds out they've been kidnapped by Van Hohenheim. After Cryus kills the Elric patriarc, he finds a fansubbed version of the Hell book. He takes it back to Odette and Cyrus deduces the place the book was made based on the paper stock and binding. Cyrus leaves and then Odette claims that they're even. The gently caress? Cyrus did all the work and Odette did Jack poo poo except insult Cyrus's bad social skills. I thought she was in on it until it revealed the mysterious robed guy listening in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't think Alfyn's chapter 2 would be good but holy poo poo the antagonist is Martin Shkreli.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it possible to win the forced duel with Erhardt at the end of chapter 3?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Relax guys. I didn't lose. I'm in the middle of the fight and was wondering. You know how some JRPGs will put you in an unwinnable story fight. Was wondering if it was one of those times.

My Olberic is pretty underleveled though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lol he killed me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Was hoping for a cool alternate story angle.if you lose. Red screen of death?

Yup. And since I didn't realize it would lock me into the duel, I gotta redo the lizard boss fight. I wish I knew to save.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was wondering why Throné’s chapter 2 boss was so loving hard compared to everything else and then I realized that her chapter 2 basically splits into Mother and Father branches and the Mother route is level 7 while the father is 16. My party is in the 16-17 range right now and the Father route boss still edged me out. Gonna target Mother right now instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roque is Elon Musk.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, the storytelling for the NPCs in this game is great. I just got the Engagement Bow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harvey is a bastard man.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Octopath Traveler 3 will have one playable character with 8 split personalities.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got this game on launch day on Switch. I had finished 6/8 of the character’s stories. I started with Osvald. Just needed to beat Dolcinea for Agnea and I’d only done the first chapter for Hikari. Dolcinea was insanely unfair. Couldn’t beat the second phase no matter what I did.

I rebought it on Steam a month ago and have been playing through again. This time I started with Hikari. I’m back to 6/8 stories finished. This time I annihilated Dolcinea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harvey is a bastard man.