Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

honestly shocked how we've never realllllly gotten a true good turn based SRPG for Warhammer poo poo in the last few decades a la XCOM or something but with armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Radukar the BEAST? Dude has raged out since his Cursed City debut

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there's no way they mention Cursed City without some kind of update on that poo poo later this week

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I started with a lot of 40k stuff last year but between the ennui of painting certain units over and over (and needing so goddamn many for armies) + the brainmelting ruleset of complexity and relatively sameness of shootman actions, I've been slowly backdooring into Sigmar with my Underworlds warbands and Cursed City box. The last month or so of ridiculous models revealed for Sigmar---Vampires especially--have been pushing me to do some research later on for possibly making a full army. It doesn't hurt that all of my gf's friends pretty much play Sigmar more than 40k and vastly prefer it. Sigmar armies generally look like they're a bit smaller and unique than the 40k ones, is that true?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Imagined posted:

If you were an Underworlds player who's always wanted to play big kid Warhammer but has never made the full plunge, would you pick 40k or AoS, or wait and see whatever they're going to do with the Old World? As an outsider it seems to me like 40k is still more popular and a "safer" bet in terms of "will my models still be playable in 10 years", but the AoS minis are so, so beautiful.

A good number of Underworlds stuff can be actually carried over into AoS in the first place so that's an easier transfer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my hobby shop is only getting TWO of each gravelord thing on preorder which is loving nuts. idk if it's just my store or if GW preorders sent to shops is extremely goddamn tight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Cursed City Crew's in the book but can still only be taken as the one choice.

edit: nm found the reddit post about the Unit values from CC. That's very odd that all those characters count as one unit.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I mainly got Cursed City for the cool minis/cool game and have Crimson Court (and Sepulchral Guard) for Underworlds---so, it's pretty cool I automatically have like 1200 pts for the Soulblight faction lol. I guess this is my backdoor into playing Age of Sigmar!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its probably a terrible intro to the faction as a heads up. Its a lot of empty points on crap.
So while i figure you wont judge the game on it alone, just know you can do a lot better.

I figured it wasn't the optimal choice for sure---I'd get Blood Knights or Lords as well if I did anything else.

Why in Age of Sigmar do some units not have point values in the codex??? Do you just take like 50 zombies and have a flat fee of points for them? I'm confused about how some of those point values work compared to how definitive 40K points are.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its straight forward once you get what theyre doing. The point value is the cost for the minimum, and every time you add the minimum you just multiply the number. So skeletons are 85 pts and the minimum size is 10 so 85 is the cost for 10.

20 would cost 170 (85×2) and 30 cost 255 (85×3). You cant add individual models, just multiples of the minimum up to the listed maximum.

Any gear or special weapons on the warscrolls is free so youll almost always take them anyway.

Oh yeah, I figured it was like that---I was just puzzled that the pictures of the Soulblight codex had point values for most characters and then for the Deathwalker Zombies, there wasn't any on its page. There is, however, a number for them (115 or so) on the "pitched battle profile" page. Seems like kind of a stupid fuckup for the book? Why not just put that number on the actual warscoll page.

Another thing was, they have point value for Radukar the Wolf, but it doesn't matter since you have to take him + the other CC models in one 770 point chunk. So why bother? It seems like major proofreading errors so I was just completely baffled about if points work different.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had a question about the Radukar and Friends unit: does it all count as just a single unique Leader unit? Wanted to see if I could still put guys like Kritza and Grandma Vyrkos in an army even with the handful of Radukar's friends in an army.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so what exactly IS Cities of Sigmar? Just the leftovers of previous old-times Warhammer stuff involving dark elves, dwarves, and humans?

I saw the pair of Witch Hunters previewed a while ago + read that Cursed City heroes would be available for the faction. Are they pivoting towards a bunch of witch hunter / mercenaries for the faction? I'd really like a band of witch hunters for an army.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Someone help me I can't find this miniature anywhere even though I've vainly searched for it, what IS this? I NEED it

https://twitter.com/dana_howl/status/1395762403317620738?s=20

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

god damnit. first time I've thought an event exclusive mini was jawdropping.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I don't think the White Dwarf crew got the memo...

isn't White Dwarf completed/written way, way in advance? Probably was too late to edit this out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

stoked af for Radukar THE BEAST, Kritza the ratboy, and dire wolves to come in. Radukar is gonna be my July project lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Underworlds, which imo is the premier GW miniature game, being a backdoor into Sigmar is a cool thing, as is having this big fucken Cursed City box I got solely for the minis/boardgame and was secretly a Gravelords starter box

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Those new Ork models are loving amazing. Didn't expect I'd like whatever was in the other side of the box but goddamn they are a great advancement from other Orruk stuff they have.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

koreban posted:

I just can’t get into the new Uruk-hai faction’s aesthetic against the older cartoony, soccer hooligan, classic Ork look. I love the new look, but it’s at such a dissonance from the Ironjawz that it would almost look like you were playing with models from two completely different manufacturers were you to play a combined arms force. Same with Gloomspite.

I sort of understand but I also look at it like how the older bowlegged space marines look versus the taller sexier Primaris marines. I think it's experienced less in AOS models since so many are already "new" GW sculpts but the orcs across the board seem like they've always had that cartoonish bigmouf look.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

was foolishly hoping Radukar the Beast would have a dual hero/monster designation

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder if this means more factions will get Monster-class characters. I guess that Kruleboy riding an Ogre thing is their Monster?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I hope so, I play clan Skryre so no monsters for me.

isn't that big hulking fleshblob thing from the Skaven a monster unit? Though iirc it's loving expensive to find these days

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I want a giant Sigmarite piloted by 5 different people like a power rangers mech. When it explodes you get to roll a D6 to see how many people survive and get to fight again.

no joke but I would love some kind of Stormcast power ranger automaton, would legit be the most incredible poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want more and more monsters just so there can be giant kaiju Monster Hunter turf wars in the midst of smaller units fighting tbh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Kruleboyz are part of Orruk Warclans so it’s a step up from allying in.

good to know I could slot in the beefboys next to the kunnin' boyz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Koramei posted:

Are there any opinions on a Start Collecting set that's especially fun to paint / is regarded as looking particularly nice? I'm more interested in looking at the stuff than playing it so I don't need a viable army or anything, but I've never tried actual Games Workshop models and I kind of wanna give them a go.

I've been mulling over the skinks but I heard the models are a little dated.

if you like skinks then get the Starblood Stalkers Underworlds warband, fantastic new lizard models.

nthing the "get Underworlds packs for starters" since they are incredible looking. Can't go wrong with the Starblood lizards, Magore's Fiends, Crimson Court, Khagra's Ravagers.