Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm gonna go so hard on ghosts when they come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Age of Sigmar V2.0 - Ghost Tiddies

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

grassy gnoll posted:

Somebody in one of the other threads said something about new Skaven types coming out. Is that a thing, or can I remain true to Never Giving GW Money?

I don't think anything has been confirmed but in the realm of speculation I just want to point out that the story has been paying quite a lot of attention to Clan Eshin and their shadow war with the Daughters of Khaine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Preem Palver posted:

Don't play AoS, but saw some of the new box set models that were very subtly set on the painting table at the local GW to drum up interest for preorders. There was a dope-rear end ghost riding a skeleton horse with amazing detail on the model, like a thin cloak (or flayed skin?) lying over the horse's ribcage, drooping between the individual ribs while the ribs themselves were still fully detailed and visible from the other side of the model.

Did it look like this?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Black_Nexus posted:

The Cogs and the Prismatic Palisade are my two favorites.

The Palisade blocks LOS and the Cogs make you move and charge further :D

the Aethervoid Pendulum seems sweet as an offensive spell as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This should be in the op https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ui1A5IVFMmFfs6iSVCMvjw

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact on what people are saying. He is dead, but his Iron Heart endures. And as a cyclical being he can come back to life if his worship gains enough traction. The issue is that the Holder of his Heart Morathi is tricking his followers and stealing the power his worship gives for himself. And while she is leeching it, he can't come back. Also the thing about finding his other shards is just bullshit that Morathi made up as I recall they don't exist.

There is a blurb in a battletome about how Khorne melted down Khaine's essence into weapons for his greatest Bloodthirster generals so it might not be total bullshit. I could very easily imagine Khainite sects trying to hunt down said generals.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LordAba posted:

Saw them in person at the store today. That starter set is pretty neat! The ghost are smaller than I thought they would, for some strange reason.

tbh every warhammer mini I see in person is smaller than I thought they would be

I got my first Daemon Prince a few months ago and I was shocked at how teeny tiny it is

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LordAba posted:

Excuse me sir, I play Daughters of Khaine for the snake boobs.

Its a size preference thing. You play DoK if you're ok with c-cups but you go to slaanesh for the double d's

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If soulblight ever get a battletome vlad seems like the perfect special character for it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

They don't really need a Battletome. Something like Legion of Shadows would work better in my opinion.

I want them to get the DoK/Nighthaunt treatment and that necessitates a battletome.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LordAba posted:

I'm surprised Tzeentch and Nurgle don't try ganging up on the ghosts. I know they hate each other, but I would assume they would hate an unchanging realm of the dead even more.

They are indeed doing just that. Last we heard of the chaos forces they were sending everything they had into shyish to stop Nagash.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LordAba posted:

Interesting. I would think they split them up a bit. Khorne and Slaanesh in the SHADOW REALM (cause slaanesh, and that the daughters are hogging all the blood). Nurgle and Tzeetch in the dead realm (cause dead are boring). Mortal enemies forced to work together!

The Chaos Gods are currently throwing all they've got at Nagash because he represents an existential threat to them. That big black pyramid is gonna hoover up all the souls in the realms before they get to them and starve them out of existence. They also each got a cool vignette in the Malign Portents book.

Khorne posted:

Up stretched the throne of skulls, up and up again, an impossible mountain of heads claimed in the Blood God’s name. At its peak, far beyond such notions as sanity and cosmic law, was a monolithic and ornate throne of brass, and atop this structure sat the being that men call Khorne. He brooded, his loathing so intense it crackled around him to blacken the air.

There was sorcery on the wind. He could smell its foul stench over the familiar scents of boiling blood, scorched bone and red-hot metal. Sorcery – the last refuge of cowards, cheats and weaklings. Khorne’s cavernous nostrils flared once more in his bloodstained snout. Yes, the stink was becoming stronger. Khorne bit into his own claw, a fang like an iceberg drawing divine blood. He rubbed the liquid between his calloused fingers with a sound like a distant earthquake, and drank in the scent once more. His mind was filled with pleasing visions of skulls, more numerous than ever before, stretching far out into the distance. Skulls twice-reaped, thrice even – all buried, exhumed and claimed again in his name.

But no blood.

In this vision, even the brackish, clotted blood of the risen corpse dried out and turned to dust. Endless ranks of skeletal forms marched, some headless, some armoured, some monstrous, yet all acting in perfect synchronicity as they fought one another with clockwork, emotionless movements. There was no fury here, no righteous anger. None of the red vital fluid that flowed in rivers to please him, to invigorate him, to allay his unquenchable thirst. Only magic. Khorne snarled, taking up a vast brazen skull from the foot of his throne and crushing it into a billion splinters with his fist before hurling them out into reality, where they would lodge into the minds of mortals and ensure this vision would not come to pass. There would be a great deal of blood spilt every day in his name. Oceans of it.

Tzeentch posted:

The Great Architect’s fractal mind span and whirled as his countless consciousnesses warred, riddled, made pacts with and betrayed each other. Like some cosmic kaleidoscope it refracted reality over and over as it contorted and folded in mind-boggling profusion. Along the crystal strands of thought the many minds roamed, ensuring victory here, undermining themselves there. Tzeentch’s needling mind-fingers plucked at the skeins like the legs of a demented arachnid, expertly changing the state of a thousand realities with every passing second.

It happened slowly at first, but unmistakeably. Though some of those threads sung with fresh arcane possibilities under his multitudinous gaze, many of the strands that made up the tapestry of the future had become brittle. Some broke even as he observed them, and turned to dust. Unchanging and inert.
Almost all of Tzeentch’s minds felt a backlash of intense antipathy at the sight. They led to a future, vast and growing ever more so, that consisted of order, predictability and stasis. That appalling dystopia was far off, and yet undeniable in its potential. A great will was driving parts of the tapestry towards it, strand by dusty strand.

Keening in a hundred thousand mortal languages at once, Tzeentch reached out the needle talons of his mind and set to work.

Nurgle posted:

Nurgle hummed softly to himself in the basement of his manse, stirring his cauldron with a ladle that could hold seven seas at once. He breathed in deeply, blighted lungs flapping within his long-rotten chest, and sighed in contentment. The bouquet of stenches rising from within was so strong it would kill a godbeast. But then…Brows like mountain ranges furrowed, their hillock pimples squirting pus into the multicoloured broth below. Something was just not right. The Plague God raised the ladle to his ravaged, rubbery lips, and stuck the tip of his long black tongue in the liquid. So very, wonderfully foul. Yet true enough, there was something wrong with it. The bland taste of ashes filled his mouth. Ashes and lifeless dust.

Below, the cauldron’s broth began to turn grey, the steam rising from it thinning as it grew cold and congealed. Nurgle began to feel something akin to revulsion as he saw his cauldron’s surface as a landscape of dunes. Skeletal corpses marched across them in long columns. They were not properly alive, nor fertile ground enough to host smaller forms of life. Indeed, they boasted nary a maggot between them. Through the magic of another, they had been cut from the glorious cycle of life and death, claimed by a force of horrible stasis that had no respect for entropy, nor true rebirth.

The edge of the cauldron, fashioned in the guise of a snake consuming its own tail, started to shudder and writhe. The serpent choked, coughing up its cannibal’s feast, and the cauldron began to spill Nurgle’s concoction all over the floor of his mansion. Panicking, the Plaguefather put his vast, flabby hands on the edge of the cauldron, flesh sizzling as he tried to scoop the burning-hot liquid back in place. Pushing his mountainous gut against the rim, eyes stinging with disbelief and confusion, he managed to stuff the cauldron-snake’s tail back in its maw, and seal the rim back together with a great gobbet of his own sputum. He stood back, gasping after his sudden and unexpected exertions. Soon his anguish turned to fury – the fury of a patriarch who sees his dynasty threatened by something that would take his children away forever.

‘No,’ said Grandfather Nurgle, the word booming across the cosmos to unsettle stomachs and trouble bowels in every realm. Outside, in the garden, threatening storm clouds gathered.

Slaanesh posted:

Slaanesh gave a moan like the music of the spheres, caught somewhere between crippling agony and blinding ecstasy as the tiniest wisp of energy was drawn from within his essence. At the height of the spasming torture, at the zenith of sensation, he saw a flash of potential futures. A realm of dust, of bone, of lifeless nations remade and re-ordered to please one single soul. That ancient spirit was steeped in excess. Slaanesh could feel its need, its megalomania, drawn towards obsessions that it could never escape. Something like a smile tugged at Slaanesh’s chain-pierced lips, but it soon faded. Where were the bacchanals in his name? Where were the pleasures of the flesh? The manic dancing, the false joy, the frenzied, desperate hunger? What victory could be called complete without riotous, extravagant celebration? To have reality brought in thrall to one singular, overwhelming desire was not enough. It would…Slaanesh could barely bring himself to conceive of the horror, thrashing in mad, bellowing panic against his penumbral chains.

It would be… dull.

The Horned Rate posted:

The Great Horned Rat crawled between the hidden places of the void, his thirteen sky-scratching whiskers twitching as he stared down at the teeming multitudes of Blight City. Their endeavours were pleasing to him, as they had always been. So many, now, it was hard for even him to keep track. Let the Four take the brunt of the God-King’s resurgence. The myriad swarm would continue to grow more powerful in the corners of each realm, burrowing through time and space to make ready for the great upheaval even as his fellow Dark Gods and the Pantheon of Order expended their strength. When the time was right, he would turn the Mortal Realms to blighted wastelands fit only for glorious vermin, thereby rising through the Chaos pantheon to make the other Dark Gods kneel before him. It was a solid plan, and the Great Horned Rat was in no mind to change it.

His whiskers twitched again, sending rippling auroras of green-black energy cascading across the skies of the Mortal Realms. There was something coming; its rippling in the smog-ridden miasma of Blight City was unmistakeable. It was the touch of death – or rather undeath – laced through with the arid tang of the desert tomb. Something that sought to contend for the same power he himself would rightfully claim.

A rival.

The Great Horned Rat curled his lip, the glow of warpfire and infernal industry glinting from colossal chisel-like teeth that could sever realities. No rival would take his place on the ladder. No would-be godling would disrupt his ascension. He was the lord of pestilence, of vermin and of endless, starving wastelands, and he had already suffered the sneers of the Four for far too long.

If the cosmos was to turn to utter ruin, it would be him and him alone that would ensure it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

GreenMarine posted:

Horned Rat is more a chaos god of deception and cunning than disease, so I don't really see him competing with the other gods.

cunning and deception is Tzeentch's thing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Ruin is the best way to put it imo. Ruin from pestilence, from mutation, from industry, from treachery.

Ruin is Nurgle's thing, as he is the embodiment of entropic decay itself (or at least the mortal reaction to it)

There is plenty you can do with the Horned Rat as a chaos god but everything he currently represents is embodied in one of the four already. Malal, if he had stuck around, could easily have filled the role of a fifth chaos god because a chaos god who hates chaos can represent things like shame, self-loathing, and guilt, all of which aren't represented by the existing gods. The problem is that the Horned Rat had an existing identity thats being crowbared into a place where he doesn't really fit. Of course that doesn't mean GW shouldn't do it, there are plenty of stories you can tell about a god trying to maintain a distinct identity lest he be absorbed into the other four.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Call it Entropy then, as Nurgle wants to regrow from the ruin, while Ol' Horny just wants everything to wither away so he can piss on the remains.

There is no meaningful distinction between what Nurgle wants and the Horned Rat wants regardless of what GW's writers say. Nurgle does not get upset when decay "goes too far".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You could do a thing where the Horned Rat is secretly the conscious mind of Chaos Unidvided and embodies some aspect of all the Chaos gods or you could do a thing where he is slowly losing aspects of himself to the other four but trying to act like he is separate and distinct when he is very clearly not is just lazy writing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beerdeer posted:

What happens to good souls? Mildly evil ones go to become the Nighthaunt line troops, chaos worshippers go to their gods, Sigmar recycles, but what about Joe Empire who just tries to make it through the day and maybe goes to temple twice a year?

I think thats what the spirit hosts are but i'm not sure

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its kind of amazing how much better the Nighthaunt models look than the Stormcast stuff

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

I can''t believe the Skaven saved the day. Maybe. It's hard to tell through the massive boner for Nagash the writers are slapping everywhere.

heh

edit: also lol complaining about Nagash getting major screentime for the first time after Khorne and Stomcasts hogged the spotlight for about 2 years

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I imagine the next big storyline is Slaanesh's jailbreak and after that its probably going to be something to do with Gorkamorka or The Horned Rat. Nagash comments that something super weird is going on with Gorkamorka knowing all of his poo poo and the Skaven remain largely unexplored outside of Clan Pestilens.

I want my ninja-rat battletome GW! I know you're working on it you hacks!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Floppychop posted:

I hope Nagash's battletome is a good sign as a precedent for a skaven battletome.

A general skaven alliance, then alliances for each clan.

Tbh I'd rather each of the major Clans get the DoK/Nighthaunt treatment and have them be more fleshed out into their own thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Shout out the the Chaos Dwarf Fortress in the Death Dimension. I am really surprised how much I am liking the lore now they are bothering to actually have a setting.

I agree, even the simple act of making Nagash a competing big bad with Chaos has added a ton of interesting implications to the setting. Plus bad guys fighting bad guys was always one of the more interesting aspects of the old setting (see: Skaven vs. Nagash round 1, the undead vs chaos, Dark Elves and their complicated relation with Chaos, and Grimgor owning Archaon).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

New starter sets to replace the old stuff. We have;
  • a new getting started magazine with a unique Knight Incantor, which seems like a real easy way to get a wizard into a Stormcast army.
  • Storm Strike, replacing the Storm of Sigmar mini-set with a collection of the push-fit models and a gaming mat. Available for £25, so probably around $35.
  • Tempest of Souls replaces Thunder and Blood and is about the same setup (all models minus some stuff) and price.

On top of that, the old Age of Sigmar 1st Edition box set is being split into two new Start Collecting sets. Not sure if these replace the old ones - I hope not as no special weapons is a real killer - but it's a way of getting a Korgorath or a Lord-Relictor still.

I really really like them doing that with the old Starter Box. I honestly wish that I could get some of the old 40k starter set minis (Assault on Black Reach being the big one) as well and I hope this is the model for future updates.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The more I look at the new Stormcasts the better they look. The flowing robes break up the large patches of armor and make them look more interesting. Less giant Fisher Price He-man warriors and more like some sort of vaguely Greco-roman Knights Templar.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Aren't the Endless spells supposed to be the new mechanic that mitigates the double turn problem? Playing without them and getting screwed by a double turn seems pretty normal.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hencoe posted:

What are some good alternate models to Chaos Chosen? Them being all finecast kinda kills it for me.

Chaos Space Marines seem like an excellent starting point if you are into kitbashing and conversion.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm reading through the new Nighthaunt book and if the main afterlives for people in AoS are either getting turned into Sigmar's personal Einherjar murder hobos or getting trolled and/or tormented for eternity by Nagash then I'm starting to understand why Chaos is so appealing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
are murder doggos Khorne's version of Nurglings?

yes I know they are supposed to parallel the beasts of nurgle but thats not what i'm saying

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thundercloud posted:

He already lost the case and is back to selling recasts on ebay while pretending to be a woman.

He's American levels of crazy.

Hes actually well beyond American levels of crazy. Hes Florida levels of crazy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really like the Grand Alliance system for this reason. Once a subfaction has everything it actually needs you can just move onto another subfaction instead of endlessly bloating the existing ones. Of course GW has yet to realize this with Stormcasts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

That's boring as gently caress, though.

To you maybe

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LordAba posted:

I always thought that they beastmen were some of the best plastics they've made in the old edition. Though I know the bullgors weren't loved by all.

The Minotaurs having feet is still super weird to me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Glad to see Beastmen are finally getting a fair shake instead of the neglect they got during their run in WHFB

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love the subtle Lovecraftian vibes surrounding the Bad Moon

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the only one thats really on the same level is Maggotkin but all of their potential models are spread out over like 3-4 books (Maggotkin, Pestilens Skaven, Slaves to the Darkness with Nurgle marks, Archaon, and that one Nurgle formation in the Beastmen book)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF5CzVul7J8

Tomb Kings?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

This kinda looks like a Cryx Warjack from Warmachine except a little bonier

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

His name is richard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Weird that the dark elfs got folded in though because I thought they would be tied in with what Malekith/Malerion is doing with HIS share of souls.