Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Aloo gents. Is this the right place to chat about Warcry? I couldn't find a thread of it's own so I figured here was swell.

I played my first game on Sunday and it was decent fun. My friend and I are looking to run a campaign. Anyone got any experience with it? What's the general SA feeling on the game system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

The Deleter posted:

Warcry is fine to chat about here! I think the system is neat - it plays fast, might be the only time the Strength/Toughness system has been used in a way I like, and doesn't take up a lot of time and space. It has balance issues, with the warband options from full Age of Sigmar armies often outperforming the original Chaos Cults, and whilst I like the idea of the original campaign system, you definitely want the later books to add more meat to it. I've got my brother to play and enjoy it, which is a plus because he normally loving hates tabletop games.

It's worth noting that the way the Crusade system for 40K 9th Edition is being talked about resembles the Warcry campaign system - presumably GW like the idea of campaigns that you don't lose out on if you miss games or want to run solo, and they've taken feedback from it. I'm interested in how it goes. I've not run a campaign myself but I'm interested in doing so once all this pandemic shite goes away.

Nice one! Yeah my friend / soon-to-be mortal enemy has Tome of Champs and Monsters / Mercs already. Would that be enough for both of us to "meaten" up the campaign?

The Crusade System for 40K sounds fantastic, very keen on that too. GW is doing a lot of right these days. Not that I ever particularly knew them in the Dark Age of Kirby, but from everything I've read they seem to just go from strength to strength.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's def my favorite game system. Helps that its short and straight forward enough I can play it with a 9 year old. There's a huge local scene for it in my city. Low cost of entry makes it easy to rope friends into it too ;)

Agreed on all counts. Having only played a handful of 40K games (only ~1000points), the whole strength vs. toughness wound system is streamlined and delicious. Although I do still love rolling twice to save my Death Guard.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

I got tricked into doing AOS by Warcry too - Inch by inch, I didn't even notice I was collecting a chaos army before I was halfway there.

Hey this Warcry game is cool, let's pick up a box of Splintered Fang.
Oh boy, these Splintered Fang guys kind of suck on the table. I want some Chaos Warriors. Oh, I can either buy a box of 16 almost-monopose old warriors or pay slightly more for the Start Collecting box and get 10 awesome and varied warriors? And a guy on a lizard and some knights but I don't care about those.
Oh wow, sometimes monsters appear in your games but I have no monsters. Cool, I can 3d print a chaos giant.
Monsters & Mercenaries just game out, I really want a sorcerer, oh, and that fat nurgle guy is cool.
...Wait, I have almost 1000 points of AOS chaos? gently caress it, I might as well grab another box of chaos warriors.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm playing a 2000 point game tomorrow.

The gateway drug working as intended. Hope you enjoy it at every level. :getin:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Just finished this terrain piece for my lizardboys. I've learned that using terrain as a procrastination project to put off painting skinks or pink horrors is an A+ move.

Great work so far. Seraphon stuff always is so vibrant and contrasting, it's a nice break from the drudgery of some of the other grimdark parts of the universe.

And hobby cycling is not procrastination, it's GOOD FOR YOUR BRAIN!

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

TKIY posted:

Super stoked about the gated community elves. Immediately sketched up and printed these Aetherquartz tokens.

very sexy, is that coloured resin or a wash over the top?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

For_Great_Justice posted:

So while in quarinte I picked up my Ogre army I've have back logged.

Rather than post dozens of pictures I made an imgr an just uploaded there.

Eventually my brain said "gently caress it stop idiot" because I was just thinking of getting more but its already a challange to pack it all. Had 1 test game 1 1k over a year ago. Hoping to play them when this is all over.

http://imgur.com/gallery/qPwK7ha

They look amazing friend. The steel skin effect is really nice. I've got the Feast of Bones Ogor half sitting awaiting construction and painting, might have to bump them up the queue after seeing these bad bois.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I just got tired of the tedium of building decks because I change warbands all the time, and facing the same opponent who is my polar opposite in that he just picks a band and sticks with it for months at a time and I get bored of that.

This is what turned me off too sadly. I love the warbands and the game though.

Chainclaw posted:

For Underworlds, our play group basically set a rule that all decks have to be made out of the cards that came with the particular band. That keeps it from getting too expensive or competitive to play.

This is a great solution tbh, especially if you're not looking to be competitive. Would be sweet to run local tournaments with this rule.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

Tell those people "Well, no poo poo - it is a board game, you chucklefucks. Do you hate Space Hulk because it feels 'more like a board game than anything related to' 40K?"
In summation:
WHU: Rules and gameplay - yay! Deckbuilding and potential high cost - boo!

I feel like the answer to this might lie in revamping the game so there aren't any universal cards.

The existing Warbands get a bit more of an variety injection, maybe some basic cards like charge, potions etc. and any warbands released from (s4 onwards?) come with extras so the decks don't get stale.

That way you retain the mystery of what are these Skaven going to run without needing to buy 25 other warbands to make your powerful deck.

EDIT:

Blood Boils posted:

"How I Believe Various Characters From HBO's "The Sopranos" Would React If I Tried To Teach Them The Rules Of Warhammer" https://www.shatnerchatner.com/p/how-i-believe-various-characters

Accurate :golfclap:

This was indeed great, thanks.

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 20, 2021

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

You don't even know what it means to mix up your references!

Yeah
Tell 'em
TK_Nyarlathotep

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I can catch a helpless Seraphon
Skin it with my bare hands
I wake up muddy
And I go to bed bloody
Cuz I'm a Chaos man

:golfclap:

In other AoS related matters. I want to start a Kharadron Overlords army at some point because I think they're ridiculous and great. Anyone here got experience painting, building and playing with em?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

JBP posted:

I play KO and they're great fun but I only have a few games played so I'm new to AOS.

They're great to build and easy to paint. Boats are easy to spray a solid base then paint in the metal and add weathering. There's a lot of detail to fill in but it's rewarding and fun. Regular dudes are really easy to paint given they're not super detailed and washes will do all the hard work.

Playing with them is great. They're all in on guns and some armies have a really tough time dealing with it. They're also able to get to objectives in their skyships and have huge mobility so long as they're no on the ground where they naturally become standard dwarfs. That being said dwarfs are tough as poo poo and have good armour so they can hold objectives and some of them can fight extremely effectively. All the cute stuff like issuing orders and etc makes them flavourful to play. I like them.

They sound perfect for me to be honest. I'm usually a Death Guard / Nurgle player so a zippy shooty army seems like a great alternative when I don't feel like throwing down with Papa's Blessings. I've also never played AoS, but have a few 40K, Warcry and Underworlds games under my belt.

RagnarokAngel posted:

KOs only "drawback" is that theyre currently considered the best army competitively so you might be seen as "that guy" but dont let salty nerds stand in the way of fun.

Wow that's surprising, the videos and blogs I read (mainly vincey V and goonhammer) don't seem to reflect that, but I don't have the brains or time to play competitively at this point in my life anyway, my army selections are about 90% hobby 10% gameplay.

Captain Magic posted:

I figure by the time I play anybody, KO will be a little less strong.

What color did you base your KO in? I remember somewhere reading that someone used like, Leadbelcher/Gunmetal, but idk if basing in metallics is a good idea.

I followed this guide:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AteSCS5FgGo)

to do my Iron Golems which has leadbelcher as a base with contrast paints over the top. I thought I'd do something similar for my KO, I really liked how the effect came out, and it seems like it'd translate well. As KO seem to be mostly gold metallic, if you wanted to stick closer to the core aesthetic, maybe a balthazar gold undercoat would do the trick?

JBP posted:

Bear in mind I have an airbrush, but I based my hulls light grey then sprayed black for shade all over, then I sprayed very thin dark green wash onto the entire hull. My big metal balls are leadbelcher then a few different washes to grime it up. The weathering is typhus corrosion, fire dragon bright and some leadbelcher dabbed on.

E: ah poo poo I broke a fin taking it out lol
Dude this looks so :krad:
Getting some hella Oddworld / Rupture Farms vibes which is not something I was expecting from a KO paint scheme but it's frickin' brilliant. Any more shots?

Big Willy Style posted:

I like the matrix nebukadnezar vibes of your not sqauts, joh bjelke peterson.

I painted up my Underworlds dudes like astronauts

Loving these Astro-Squats too. Fits their theme to a tee.

Thanks to everyone who's posted their KO schemes and thoughts.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The tier rating stuff is not always a great reflection of reality - like KO and Seraphon are generally considered the "best" armies, but they don't really have a dominant tournament presence the way some other top armies have had - you'll see them in the Top 3/ Top 5 pretty often but I rarely see a tourney where like all 3 of the top spots are taken by them like you used to see with Slaanesh lists, and there are tons of tourneys where they don't show up in the Top 5 at all. They're very good and statistically they're favored to win like sub-60% of their games, but there's still a ton of variety in the meta right now.

Ah right. This seems like a very healthy spot for the meta to be in.

EDIT:

Business Gorillas posted:

I picked up FEC a couple months before the new book and I picked KO because I wanted to do busted up soviet dorfs :eng99:

Uh yeah this does sound amazing. Why the :eng99:? Could you not complete this vision for some reason?

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 9, 2021

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

It's unlikely, but I'd like some new Skaven.

The 40K Orkz seem to be getting new boys or models, so I guess there's hope for outdated horde army models.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

So my guess is that he is the faction leader of a new non-Ork Destruction faction and that this faction will debut with AOSv3 this summer.

Has AOSv3 been confirmed? I have my KO army on the way but no core rulebook, so I guess I should hold off?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Talas posted:

The rumor that was right about the dates of both Lumineth and Cursed City said that BR: Be'lakor is coming on April 17th and that AoS 3.0 is coming as early as July with a huge box Indomitus style. They said that the box is coming with new Stormcasts and an unnamed (probably new) Destruction army.

Awesome, as a fan of watching my accounts hemmoarge money, I'll pick up the new starter box. Haven't actually played a game of AoS yet, but have played Warcry and Underworlds quite a bit. Looking forward to fielding my steampunk, airborne not-dwarves quite a bit.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are fairly popular, but don't have nearly the sale stranglehold Space Marines do. Which is a good thing I say.

Stormcast also suffer from first tome syndrome so they are only mid tier in the meta.

This is very healthy. That stranglehold is one main reasons I've slowly cooled on 40K as the years have gone by. I like Space Marines in the lore, but they are at such an insane saturation point of models, rules, lore and design attention that it really makes the universe feel a lot less broad and interesting than it could be.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Talas posted:

Love those vampires but sometimes the official art makes them look like a 90's goth band about to drop their new single.

The more Games Workshop abandon their 80s / 90s design paradigms, the further we stray from God. I for one am happy about anything that matches this, even if I'm not a fan of vampires.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Where's a good spot to read up on some army-specific tactics? Goonhammer is my go-to but they don't have a section in the army I'm looking for and I dunno who else does quality, up-to-date unit analysis and stuff. 1d4chan is gone I guess, and honestly I don't think they really knew what they were talking about most of the time anyway, so it seems like pretty slim pickings out there.

For KO I've found a dedicated channel (https://youtube.com/c/Aethercast) on YouTube where they discuss tactics and the ins and outs of building and playing the army.

I assume other army specific channels must be out there, otherwise AoS Coach has long interviews with professional players which seems pretty good from what I've seen (https://youtube.com/c/AoSCoach)

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Thank you guys for all the work you do though - Goonhammer is by far the best resource I've come across for learning how to evaluate units and build better lists.

Thanks for this, AoS Coach looks like he's got some good stuff for me to dig into!

:wink:

+1 for Goonhammer, recently upped my pledge to the Discord level and everyone in the multitude of channels has been super helpful and welcoming.

Elarr's article on KO has been invaluable for me starting my first lists.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Kharadron Overlords are the best thing to happen to Duardin ever.

Sky gold? Steampunk ships? Shooting everything? Badass dirigible flyers?

:hellyeah: :psydwarf:

Also, is the double turn generally frowned upon? I read someone's take on the philosophy behind it (making games less of a forgone conclusion than 40K's first turn) and that seems ... good? Granted I have never played a game of AoS so I have very little idea re: this.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Imagined posted:

If you were an Underworlds player who's always wanted to play big kid Warhammer but has never made the full plunge, would you pick 40k or AoS, or wait and see whatever they're going to do with the Old World? As an outsider it seems to me like 40k is still more popular and a "safer" bet in terms of "will my models still be playable in 10 years", but the AoS minis are so, so beautiful.

My gut feeling for you is that I'd go to AoS. On average you spend much more time building, kit-bashing and painting your models than you do playing with them. So if the aesthetics of AoS appeal to you more than 40K, 100% go with AoS. Doesn't have to be a permanent thing either, you could always dip your toes back into 40K if you don't end up enjoying AoS.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's been implied that there will be more stuff to do in your opponents turn. Maybe in exchange for CP.

Ben Johnson specifically said if you go second you get more CP and that there's going to be a lot more to do during your "downtime" e.g. interacting with your enemy phases like Revelation 2-13 was describing. Personally it sounds like they're put a lot into making the double turn a bit more palatable, and as a KO player, I'm keen on not creating a NPE for my opponent so maybe this will help with that.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Chaos dwarves would also kinda make sense as a new antagonist with the rumor that GW wants to roll all the dwarves into one big Duardin faction.

You ground dwelling Duardin can stay there on the ground, we Kharadron will be up here in the bright blue, aether-gold laden sky, playing the floor is lava forever, firing our guns eternal.

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:
:blaster: :blaster: :blaster: :blaster:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

LET MY PLASTIC PEOPLE GO

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Danimo posted:

I wouldn't say the clans are "ultra strict silo". You can (and should) mish mash them together as you still get every clan benefit. The only actual restriction is that if you want non-clanrat battleline you have go strict solo clan.

Battletome Skaventide has issues and needs to be rewritten to be more like the Cities of Sigmar book imo, but I wouldn't say its a bad book. It was very powerful when it came out and had a pretty good run for a while in 2019, but got consecutive small nerfs and fell behind the power curve over the course of 2020.

I have no idea what they do with the army in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Eshin and Moulder and half of Skryre become Legends at some point. Its a weird model line.

Is it suggested anywhere that Skaven will be getting a new battletome / model refresh in the near future? I wanted to finally build a Skaven army after years and years of waiting (they were my original loves back in the day when I could afford to read White Dwarf and that was about the limit of my Hobby spending) but it sounds like they aren't in a good place :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Cheers for the responses re: Skaven. Guess I'll just keep an eye out for now.