Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey thread. I've been lurking for a while, and playing AOS since about Feburary. I'm real excited about the Orruk battletome coming out and think this game is pretty cool. I'm tempted to start a Cites of sigmar army too, but I already bought the goblin half of Looncurse because I completely lack any self control. I sympathize with missing all the stuff that got purged from the old world armies, but also have you seen the stuff they're coming out with these days????

Anyway here's some Brutes I've painted up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
If there is a discrepancy between pitched battle points listed in a Battletome and the Azyr app, is there any idea which number is the one to defer to? My azyr app is updated, but I noticed that in the Orruk battletome the Weirdnob Shaman is listed as 110 points, but in the app he's 120.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it has all the other points changes made in the Battletome. Just this one unit is off.

Edit: wait do you mean another update since yesterday's?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the thing to keep in mind is that GW's development cycle is apparently 4 years long for model kits, so its likely they are working on things for those factions that pretty much just got books even as we argue about this, but also have like a bunch of new Aos factions on the backburner like the bonecast eternals that have been in the pipe since like 2016.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished up my footslogging Ironjawz Megaboss. Also finally got in a small game with my boyz using the new Orruk Warclans battletome against a friends Stormcast army. Ironically, the Megaboss didn't get to do much, it was one of those missions where you score points on an objective cumulatively, and he was the only unit I could really afford to leave on the right flank while the rest of my army wheeled around to try to deny him the left.

Since he was Stormcast he held a bunch of units back in the storm chamber for the deepstrike, but he opted to focus everything on the objective to my left. Things started out great when the Ardboyz deleted 1 of his Sequitor units, but then he obliterated my left wing of allied spider riders, Ardboyz, and my Shaman with those dang Evocators. As a consequence and I had to hustle my Brutes and Goregruntas across the board to try to check him.

Fortunately, the Warchanter's ability Violent Fury is loving awesome. Brutes getting +1 damage on on their weapons, and then winning the double turn to slam him in the Hero phase with Mighty Destroyers meant the tables completely turned. Feels good to have an updated Battletome. Got some Boingrot Bounders so I'm gonna paint them up and replace the spiders with those, since 5 spiders don't do much.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm also doubtful that they're going to make new models just for Old World like Forgeworld did (does?) for 30K, nevermind new armies like say Araby or Ind
I don't know about that second part, but why wouldn't they make new models? I'm skeptical they would form a design team just for this and then not make any new products for it. The old WHFB range has huge holes in it now, so if you're thinking they'll just sell all the same ancient kits, I think there would be some problems. They just outright got rid of all the old Orcs, Tomb Kings and Bretonnia, and the Elf and Empire range was decimated. I mean, I suppose they could just dust off all the old molds (assuming they kept them), but given the advances in design they've demonstrated these past couple years that looks like a bad idea.

They compared it to Horus Heresy and Sisters of Battle release, AND announced it like 3 years in advance. I think that probably means they're making new models.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I don't thing they're doing this though? In their preview, it says, "a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio"; if they meant Forgeworld, wouldn't they have said so specifically?

I am also confused about this Forgeworld connection. Is it because they compared the setting to the Horus Heresy?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh, was there like a stream or something? I only saw that blog post.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Great action shots! I just had a game against a friends Nighthaunt, but I forgot to take pictures. I didn't know that if the ghosts roll high for their charge they get a free activation in combat in the charge phase, until now that is. Very nasty!

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Furism posted:

Is there a place where I could learn about the basic Orruk tactics? I'm playing a friend tomorrow (he plays Stormcast) and I don't really know what I'm going to do except rush my Brutes into his face. I realize this is Orruk 101, I'm looking for 102-110.

I'm just above total newb when it comes to AoS.

E: My Gore-Grunta unit isn't available (I haven't finished the 3rd model because I was distracted by other models I wanted to paint) so I have two units of Brutes, a Megaboss, a Shaman, a Warpriest, 10 or 15 Ard Boyz and Ironskull's Boyz.

I'm still a newer player too, but I can share some insights into Ironjaws. First thing is, with the new battletome they've really made Ardboyz your premier trooper in the army. A unit of 10 actually has more attacks than a unit of 5 Brutes, and 5 more wounds to boot. All of them hit on 3+, unlike the Brutes which depending on the configuration may have a Gore-choppas or a Boss Klaw, which hit on 4+. Sure those do 2 damage a piece, but I'll get back to why that's less important in a moment. They also can have a drummer which can give them +2 on the charge, which combined with the allegiance ability Eager for Battle, means they're getting +3. They can also have a banner that adds 2 to their shaky bravery of 6, a major weakness for Ironjawz. Sure, 10 Ardboyz are 40 more points than 5 brutes, but you get a lot for those 40 points, imo.

The second thing to pay attention to is the Warchanter. He has some "warbeats" (prayers) like other units of his type, but on his warscroll he as an ability that is not actually a prayer called Violent Fury. This ability lets you add 1 to the damage of all the weapons on a unit wholly within 15" until your next hero phase. At first blush this might not seem like much but if you think about it, but its actually kind of bonkers. For most of your army adding 1 damage to all the weapons in a unit is effectively doubling the potential damage you can inflict. It turns a humble unit Ardboyz into a wrecking ball, or can give your unit of Brutes that extra punch they need to go the distance. I've played about half a dozen games since the new battletome came out, and every time Violent Fury has just gotten a ton of work done. If you run the clan Da Choppas, they get a command ability that lets one of their Warchanter use it on THREE UNITS instead of one. Its nuts.

As Danimo said, the third thing that is really important is Smashin And Bashin. This ability basically works like other abilities that let armies fight out of the regular combat sequence. If you destroy an enemy unit in the combat phase, you can immediately activate another to fight before your opponent gets a chance to fight. This can then trigger Smashin and Bashin again, causing a chain reaction IF you can keep destroying enemy units (a tall order, honestly). However, its basically a free activation before your opponent if there's a smaller enemy character in punching distance of a megaboss or other unit.

Last but not least is the command ability Mighty Destroyers. This command ability is used in the hero phase and does something different depending on how close the unit you target are to the enemy. More than 12" away, and you get a free move. Very nice for getting your plodding boyz in gear. Amazing on Gore-gruntas. If they are within 12" of an enemy they get a free charge attempt. This is honestly the least useful mode for the ability, but still clutch if you are trying to get a tricky charge off. Finally, if the unit you target is within 3" of an enemy unit, it can IMMEDIATELY fight. This is great, and can let you really swing the odds back in your favor, especially with a double turn. Bonus points if you can throw Violent Fury on the unit first. That means in that turn it will get to fight twice with twice the damage. Cunningly brutal. Mighty Destroyers is such a good utility ability, I think its also worth considering an Ironfist Warscroll battalion. At 160 points its not cheap, but it means a brute boss of your choice gets to use the ability FOR FREE. Combine that with the Warlord trait of Brutish Cunning, and now you get another free use with your Warlord. You can't use it on the same unit twice, but still. Sadly, Smashing and Bashing only works in the combat phase so also Mighty Destroyers can't trigger a bunch of free activations if you start tabling units.

Some other quick observations:
  • The Waaagh - You can only use this once per game now, but it can still be decisive. However, I find many missions will prevent you from getting a lot of your army in the bubble, especially since you use it at the start of the combat phase, after charges.
  • Mad As Hell - DON'T FORGET THIS! This lets a unit move D6" at the end of ANY PHASE in which they suffered ANY damage, so long as its 9" away from an enemy unit. Its a pretty neat trick and will catch shooting armies off guard. You can even use it in sneaky ways. For example some evocators dropped in to try to assassinate my Megaboss in one game, but the opponent shot at him first knocking off a wound. I used the free 2" of movement I rolled to back away from the evocators. They failed their subsequent charge. Brutally cunning :orks:.
  • Brutes aren't the best unit anymore, I'd argue, but 10 of them in a blob is still a terror to behold. Its tough to do enough damage to get rid of them, and they can really pile on the hurt if you throw Violent Fury and Get Stuck In Lads (+1 to hit), on them. Also they get +1 to hit against things with 4 or more wounds, so they're your go to monster hunters.
  • Gore-gruntas are pretty good, but you'll be consistently underwhelmed by what 3 of them can accomplish, even with their new buffed up warscroll. I like to use a unit of three to kill annoying little wizard nerds, pesky artillery, or grab distant objectives. They can tie up enemy units a good while too, with all those wounds, just don't expect them to put in work like Ardboyz. Often their speed means they're not close for all your tricks and abilities.
  • The Shaman is MUCH better now, and the Great Green Hand of Mork is very useful for re-positioning your slow boyz. I also really like Mighty 'Ead-But. It does D3 mortals to heros, or D6 to Wizards. Great way to pop those pesky Stormcast wizard characters.
  • Ironjawz bravery is 6, which is bad. If possible, take the Golden Toof artifact. It will really help shore up that weakness. Alternatively, Da Choppas has the warlord trait Checked Out, which adds 2 to bravery.

Hope this rambling post is helpful. If someone comes in and tells me I'm wrong or an idiot for posting this, well, they're probably right. I've only been playing since like February, and I play with a small friendly group. But these are the things that have helped me win games. Have fun with your orruks, and duff up those Stormcast gitz good!

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 13, 2019

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Furism posted:

Must all the models in the same unit have the same weapon (except maybe for the unit leader) ? Or can half of my Ard'Boyz have a 2 handed weapon and the other half 2x1 handed?

It doesn't matter now with the newer Ardboyz warscroll. Pick which ever weapons you like, they no longer have separate profiles.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Those are some very very nice Lizards. Great work.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Here's another vote for Ironjaws, as that's why I picked them. You can make a very playable army at 2000 points with like 40-50 models. Granted, this includes something like the Maw-krusha, but still.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
It would be sort of nice if they had some designers commentary on the points changes themselves. For example, I'd like to know why the Weirdnob Shaman went up 10 points. Sometimes you can deduce why they did it, but other times its a bit mysterious. Its not a big deal, just weird.

Finished up some Ardboys to expand my Ironjawz. I don't know why but they really started feeling like a slog to paint. They're not particularly technical paint jobs or complex models, but still was really feeling the fatigue with them toward the end. At least they're done.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

At a guess, it's a tax for the Hand of Gork spell.

That was mine as well, but its not as obvious as like why Ardboys went up and Brutes went down. Tangentially related, one of my gripes about AoS is that many of these Artefact and Spell tables feel internally unbalanced. Why would I take anything other than the Great Green Hand right now? Especially if I'm paying 120 points for this guy. A Warchanter is 110, and gives you Violent Fury, an ability that turns Ironjawz units into wood chippers and you don't even have to roll any dice to get it to go off! He's even better in a fight.

Bombogenesis posted:

Dear lord those look so much better when they aren't yellow. Almost makes me wanna grab their Warcry box.

The choice to make the studio paint scheme yellow is a real head scratcher. I think the army looks fantastic in black armor.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 21, 2020

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

You're not wrong. I'm not sure if 200 points for 10 Ardboys feels right, but 120 points for five Brutes certainly feels better even if I still feel like they hurt from the lack of the Megaboss on foot's old ability to let them reroll 1s to hit which I think if you gave it back to the Megaboss you'd have more of a reason to take him and Brutes. It's not a game-changer but certainly nice.

I think Ardboys are probably still real good at 200 for 10. There's just a lot of value packed into that humble unit. But I agree that you could push the Brutes down to 120 even, if there will be no special synergy between the Footboss and them.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I could see that from a merchandizing perspective, sure. And a 'rusty' paint scheme would be pretty interesting because it fits the or(ru)ks and would distinguish itself in the range. But I also think it would be possible to make it black while distinguishing it from Chaos Warriors by choosing the right accent color for the armor. For example this alternative they sometimes include on the packaging:

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Great job! I like the different take. Nice base too.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanqol posted:

I'm guessing it's the wargaming equivalent of stamp collectors.

I have multiple standing orders for any of the stupid novelty dice. GW knows what its doing.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally, I wouldn't sweat the specific kits and just make sure that the combined points values of the units you each get are the same. Hypothetically that should balance things for you. You can use Warscroll Builder to help you work out small lists and help plan your purchases. Generally, Gloomspite are a kind of horde army so you have lots of cheap lovely guys, though you can play them with more big things like Arachnarok spiders, Trolls and Mangler Squigs, etc. The Bonereapers are at the other end of the spectrum, being elite skeleton constructs which cost a lot of points resulting in smaller lists.

Start Collecting box sets are a relatively cheap ($95 USD) to get a small starting force for most armies, but I don't think the Bonereapers have one yet being a really new army.

If you were thinking making small armies is beyond the scope of what you want to do, and just get one box of troops each, a better idea might be to check out Warcry. Its the skirmish scale battle game for Age of Sigmar, and there are rules for the Gloomspite and Bonereapers.

A box of the regular Mortek Guard, and a box of Boingrot Bounders should make playable warbands, and if you can track down the rule book and the respective faction cards that's a fun game that plays real quick.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 22, 2020

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think there's something to be said about conceptually and mechanically narrow armies, especially since the game has so many factions, but I would agree most of the small armies could use a couple more kits. I think part of the problem with really big rosters is that have tons of trap choices. Playing Ironjawz, I don't need 10 new kits. Just give me like Gore-grunta chariots, or like brutes that throw big javelins, just to add a few more options.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Deleter posted:

Since work is as about as thrilling as staring at concrete atm, here's a couple of ideas about stuff that would make the double turn a thing worth engaging with.
  • Replacing the dice roll with a bid. Bid 1-3 points in secret - the higher bidder goes first, but the loser gets the bid as command points as compensation.
  • Universal command abilities to reduce the impact of going second - giving units cover, etc as 40k 8th edition did. This would probably be best combined with the above.
  • Whoever goes second fights first in the regular combat order - this makes fight first abilities like the Ironjawz even stronger, though.
  • Faction-specific abilities to handle going second - elves falling back, orcs going "oi where is you goin, git" and smacking someone, Stormcast/Bonereapers bracing for charge impacts, etc.
  • Mission design giving advantages to those who go second.
  • Tzeentch bullshit.

I think some of those things could be fun faction abilities. Armies that want to grind or play hammer and anvil could get some very thematic and cool abilities out of it. I'm not sure if any of those abilities should tie into going first since that doubles down on the reward, but it might be worth experimenting with.

I'm one of the weirdos that likes the random turn order, as all of my most interesting games involved multiple double turns, but even I will concede it can just slam a game shut too. Those first two things are super intriguing to me. Or perhaps keeping the dice roll but the wager is a modifier?

Mission design can go a long way to resolving the issue too, as 40k has demonstrated.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

AnEdgelord posted:

How are Orruk Warclans these days? I found a local shop that does Age of Sigmar and Ive been looking through the range fantasizing about what army I would play after covid ends and the Ironjawz caught my eye. I love their models and I always liked warhammer orks regardless of which setting they were in. Plus they have what looks like a decent Start Collecting box and they dont seem like nearly as much of a one trick pony as something like Idoneth Deepkin who I like the aesthetic of but am not in love with running nothing but eel cavalry.

Edit: I'm also interested in the Gloomspite Gitz but know less about them other than the broad strokes of them following a big scary moon that makes people crazy and the mushroom theme

I play Ironjawz, but not really the rest of the Warclans range, as they used to be two separate books (Ironjawz and Bonesplittas) that got fused together. The book lets you play either Ironjawz, Bonesplittas, or the Great Waaagh! which is like both combined into one with an interesting Waaagh points mechanic. Pretty much every Ironjaws unit is viable but unfortunately there is, uh, 7 of them. No I'm not joking. The entire unit roster is 7 kits. I guess there's 8 warscrolls because the named superboss riding a Mawkrusha is different from an unnamed one. If you add Bonesplittas then you've got a bit of real diversity there, but the styles of play are super different, and obviously the models have very different themes.

I like playing my Ironjawz. They all have really slow move stats, but its a surprisingly fast army due to their allegiance abilities, and of course have great armor and quality attack profiles. As you might expect, their whole thing is getting into your opponent's face and just smashing it as hard as you can. Also yes that Start Collecting box is a slam dunk. Its like getting 10 Ardboys for free, seeing how expensive Gore-gruntas are. Also Ardboys are an excellent core to an Ironjawz army, and the Warchanter's core ability just straight up doubles the damage output of all your troops. Its crazy good.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sab669 posted:

You'd think they'd go the opposite route. "Hey Underpants players, your models are really good in the 'real' tabletop. You're already half way there c'mooon just buy a few more minis"

Rather than trying to convince their AOS players to pick up UW stuff.

Gonna be the contrarian on this topic and say making a product for another game a Tier 1 choice in AoS is probably a good way to make sure anyone who wants to play Underworlds will never be able to find a copy because tournament players are snatching them up constantly. Also, its a potential complication for making the rest of the game balanced. Better to err on the side of caution, since as everyone has already observed they are completely fine just substituting for models in existing units.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Soulbound’s Bestiary cover looks cool

god i want to play this game

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress, soviet sky dorfs is such a good idea i'm jealous i didn't think of it first

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Mostly just wanting Soulbound to fill in the stuff.

I really like the old world but I feel like people don't quite get how much heavy lifting in that respect was done by WFRP.

One of my customers is a guy that works for Cubicle 7 and has been working on Soulbound and the current edition of WHFRP. He's maintained that this is how they've been approaching it. They work extremely closely with GW on the development of the setting, and there's tons of cross pollination between GW's writers and Cubicle's team. From my conversations with him, it seems almost as if GW's people conceived of the AoS setting as a way to move past the built-up history of the Old World, like they viewed it as a restraint to telling new stories or creating a continuously forward flowing drama. They also seem aware that's why people like the Old World so much and are brimming with ideas to bring that same rich feeling to AoS.

Whether or not this strategy was correct is of course a matter of opinion, but it seems GW is committed in either case. The Old World isn't coming back, except as that Forgeworld project.

I do think the Broken Realms books are showing some of the payoff of AoS growing as a setting. I actually got excited just reading an article's summary of the events in the Teclis book, lol

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree that the double turn causes problems, but also all of my most memorable games of AoS involved a double turn, or several of them. Its a dice game, and single dice rolls have been determining the course of warhammer games for literally decades. People just get hung up on the double turn because its more dramatic. I think most of the problems with the double turn stem from core issues the game design has, like how shooting is a completely noninteractive phase. At least in 40k you can position your guys in cover or use terrain to close off fire lanes.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Der Waffle Mous posted:

is it supposed to be an evergreen starter or is it going to be an Indomitus/Command/Elite/Recruit thing where there's going to be a handful of models we're never going to see again?

the new box set is called Dominion and was directly compared to Indomitus by Warhammer Community, which means it will be a limited run, possibly followed by a Made-to-Order period for people that missed the boat on the first round.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
has anyone come across some 3D printable alternatives to the rogue idol? Kinda want one for my ironjawz now.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/green-dwayne-the-rock-johnson

Found this fella

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

reading this makes me feel a bit bent out of shape about Orruk Warclans never getting their own endless spells.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah that sort of sucks considering you spent what looks like at least a hundred bucks on paints. They could have at least taped the brushes to secure them and stick the paints into some ziplock baggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
They're almost certainly going to have to change minimum unit sizes for at least some things to make this change work