Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I don’t know why I suddenly don’t get this game. In the demo, I played really well and had a 65% win rate. Now I’m sub 30% and can’t seem to win against even basic players that I can tell I’m much better than, technically.

Sometimes I try to use a trick shot with the R stick and instead my character will try a charge shot without me hitting other buttons. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I the only one who presses buttons really hard when playing this game? I know I don't need to do it but I can't help it.

Something finally clicked with Luigi and I'm enjoying this game a ton more. I'm playing much better and reliably making it into the 3rd+ round. Made it to finals twice and both matches were fun. The first was a close match vs Daisy. The second a Boo was obnoxious in the net. I knew what to do to beat him but he outplayed me. I'm feeling alot better now that I understand what's beating me and how to counter it.

The only thing I don't understand is playing against Rosalina. Every Rosalina pushes me way back into my side of the court and has a full meter by the end of the first rally. I am countering her blue shots with red shots, I'm blocking all her power and zone shots, but no matter what I do most of my returns push me back or spin me.

I really don't understand what I'm doing so wrong against Rosalina.

Rosalina is able to move at normal speed while charging for a shot, so she can start charging for a shot while still far from it. Other characters can’t move or move much slower while charging for a shot. You have to switch up your shots more and make use of more drop/lob shot combos against good Rosalinas.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I still the only one that constantly runs into people blatantly cheating? 50% of the time I end up matched up against someone that's doing poo poo like returning every single shot with a special.

I have not run into any cheaters :shrug:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone else feel like trick shots should literally never reward the other player with energy? Either you are way out of position, which shouldn’t be rewarded no matter how early you press to do a trick shot, or you are in position but taking advantage of the trickshot mechanic to gain energy and have a really good shot, which is just OP in combination.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I thought you couldn't get him until playing in the July tourney that starts tomorrow?

It’s officially July 1 in most of the world.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I tend to alternate standard and simple. I love simple because it’s more or less the tennis game I wanted but I also enjoy standard, up until I get sick of 1) declining bowser jr and 2) the trick shot meta which is just unfun against a lot of opponents.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a trick to reliably drop shotting when you're using zone time? There seems to be a 50/50 chance of me either hitting a drop shot or doing nothing. I can't figure out what the problem is and it's loving infuriating.

Doing nothing as in not even swing or just a normal hit?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes. I do what I do to make a drop shot happen and I just keep running. I don't charge I don't swing, I just keep moving.

I’ve had that happen to me a few times when attempting drop shots, but not specifically in zone time.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying it with both X and BA. Both are equally risky. I just lost two games in a row primarily to running passed shots that should have been a loving sure thing. I wish I understood if it's me or a semi-lovely control scheme for doing lobs and drop shots. It's probably some of both, but I haven't had this problem until literally this afternoon. It may also be lag. The game's been a laggy shitshow for me since the patch dropped. It's not unusual for me to pass on 5+ players before one of them has 3+ bars. Even if I agree to play someone with a good connection, I can't think of a single game of the ~10 I've played post patch that haven't devolved into freeze frame matches as the connection goes from 5 bars to 1 bar sporadically.

That sucks, but sounds like connection issue is more on your end based on my experience since the patch. Definitely a drop in connection quality as you only get matched with similar ranked players, but much better than what you’re describing.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yup. As said before, “trick shot” should only count as a desperation move that uses energy, and never gives you energy. Right now it has the benefit of farming energy and hits balls that are harder to return than most charged shots, all for flicking the stick at the general direction of the ball.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just got the game and was going ask how to deal with people who are good at trick shots, but judging by the last page trick shots seem to be problem.

Also is there any way to practice returning zone shots and special shots nonstop? I can't get the timing down for either.

Adventure mode is great for learning to play, and multiple levels involve returning zone and special shots, though not non-stop. Heavily advise playing through it.

Trick shots are currently OP, but switching up where you hit the ball and playing drop and lob shots can help negate people who trick shot too much.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Homestar Runner posted:

I think the situation he's describing doesn't result in a star landing marker, it's just a floaty ball with no spin trail

And like OP I have the same probalo. My dude is at the net and should be able to just smash those away Pete Sampras style but for some reason he taps it back like an idiot

Could be that your character lets the ball get too low and has to just tap it over the net. I think the top spin hit (the fire one) works best on these balls.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

soggybagel posted:

If I could level a criticism about how this isn’t “realistic” enough is this. It doesn’t punish a player for hanging out in “no mans land” on a court. In real tennis you’re usually punished for playing in that area. You either want to be pretty tight at the net to volley with a tight angle and push your opponent wide or just win. Or you want to be baseline bombing returns and moving your opponent wide.

For real. It bothers me so much how much no mans land play is rewarded, when in real life you’re gonna be so off form and disadvantaged sitting there.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Was struggling in the second game of the championship against a bowser. He lost connection suddenly, so thanks for the third tournament win. Sorry buddy.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't know what is pissing me off more this Blooper or the airship mast.

The Blooper is the game giving you a competent opponent, but it would be nice if it was on a more neutral stage. I don't understand how my shots keep richocetting out of bounds off of the mast, but the squid can richocet off it no problem. Also his curve shot makes me mad.

Fair warning; blooper is the easier opponent on the ship. You have to rally with Kamek later and it’s a loving challenge, to say the least.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, Toadette is objectively worse than most characters. Doesn’t mean a good player won’t do well with her, but her stats still make her worse.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Welp, finally beat all three COM tournaments with all the available characters.

it doesnt do anything

...yet?

Why would you take the time to do this?!

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, this is brutal. I'm totally stuck here as well. I wonder if doing Kamek is even worth it. In any event, if anyone has any pointers, that'd be great :yaycloud:

Against Kamek, I hit the ball down the line instead of cross court, and then would slide my character towards center court. This made it so they would consistently hit it down the line back at me, negating the mast from loving you up. Also save all energy for emergency power shots.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Let me know when they fix this game, cuz right now it is complete rear end. Every game is just trick shot spamming and alternating between drop shots and lob shots. There’s no tennis being played.

Fake edit: please name thread Mario Tennis Aces: There’s no tennis being played

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Interesting.

Even if you have full meter, only counter a special shot by going in slow mo and timing your hit. Feel free to counter a zone shot with a special shot though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It’s pretty funny they felt the need to not allow body shotting on zone serves unless it bounces once. Didn’t realize that was a big enough issue (honestly, zone serve is kinda dumb anyways)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Deltron 3030 posted:

It's a bit strange that they give you like 10 seconds to cancel a tournament match once you see the player and their character. Couldn't you just bail every time you see you are up against a strong character?

On a related note, gently caress you Waluigi! (Editor's note: I also play as Waluigi)

It’s great cuz 1) you can bail when you see how bad connection is and 2) you could bail on B Jr when he was super OP and obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I run straight at my opponent, into the net

Don’t forget to wave at them while spinning once your reach the net