Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I wouldn't mind rolling up again, did they finally decide how to handle the newbie event WRT extensions and the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/games/gamigo-group-announces-new-fantasy-mmorpg-fractured-online/

in semi related news, the head of broadsword quit with no notice to go pilot a 3 realm MMORPG - but this one has NFTs.

lmao live is dead.

(i got my heretic 50 and almost fully geared out today. it's huge fun. cant wait to rvr)

What did you end up doing for blood tokens? I four boxed up to 50 in Hib (sucker for the vamp) but there's no... in-between token content. It's either solo/duo for the quests or eight-man white knuckling mobs that hit for 800 and spam ae silence/etc. Dragon got buffed to 5k tokens a kill today which should help and already did medusa/relic for ML and ring.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
It's really not too bad, I didn't play 3 and 4, they were just classes I wanted that I stuck to the healer. Main play for leveling was an animist that was pbae/taunt turret spec and the off-window was buff druid drop-specced by two levels into heals. It only gets dicey if you tab around and the windows get mixed up (they don't let you use key broadcast or isboxer even for the hot keyed windows, so you gotta depend on windows keeping your last active at back and forth). The way they laid out Celestius actually made it really easy, no zoning with the "go south for harder stuff" so I didn't have to constantly restick and such unless we full wiped. Others were vamp and BM.

I was kinda blown away at how hard they made the blood token mobs. Even pulling the red/oj ones, they almost instakill pets and can despawn shrooms. I guess they buffed the 8 man purple mobs to pulse ae silence and all sorts of nasty nukes. Seems like best is just doing solo/duo quests and hitting multiple camps at a time.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

SERPUS posted:

I cranked out about 25k tokens since launch by doing two dragon raids, a relic capture, and killing those high level things outside of the epic zone hub with a bomb group. I upped my ring all the way, bought three artifacts and a mythirian. Not sure what else I need now as a healer. Armor procs maybe?

Is your champ weapon worth having? Once you cap the ring you can talk to the NPC next to him to get it, some classes are good with it but others aren't. There's also the 20k chest pieces that I don't know if you actually need or not, depending on class. Good ablatives are 1k per from the 50 proc merchant.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
No, neither is the hastener summon. I believe you can even trade those two between chars, or at least chars on one account.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Mid/Alb gearing seems way easier, by virtue of people running Dragon on repop. I farmed up my tokens via the quests on hib but the other realms were done in a day of casually logging over for dragon kills at 5k a pop.

My biggest frustration is that the people running the server don't really understand DAOC melee.... somehow. Upping base damage by 15-20% doesn't fix the real issue, which is the style growth. 99% of the time you're better off spamming anytime styles on every class (except savage, for whatever reason), as reactionaries, positionals, and chains all average out to less than spamming anytime styles with growth of .9. The 50 CDW style on BM, for instance, is like .7 back style into 1.1 50 style... the anytime is .9 -> when moving in combat, hitting through bt/stun/etc, you'll always do better smashing the anytime. Spear side style chain, same. Vampire super styles in the 42+ piercing are .17 opener 2.x chain. Anytime again .9sh with the same caveats of constantly landing a two hit chain as before.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
The event on Phoenix for leveling in bgs was the distilled essence I want injected directly into my veins. Just an eternal scrap.

That being said, a few friends and I really loved how Celestius evolved the small man content. Made for some crazy action that was really enjoyable (not a keep or meta 8s fan).

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Forgot this thread was a thing.. someone made the mistake of letting me know about atlas so of course I rolled some characters on Hib.

Server has absolutely been rocky as all hell, but maybe they finally fixed the endless lag spikes..? Maybe this time?

I’ll probably roll on Phoenix when that opens, I’ve been out of the loop on daoc free shards, so I’m unaware of how long to expect these servers to be active before they get shutdown.. I’m having fun though.

Both Phoenix and Celestius had really solid (and by that I mean 3+ month) runs. Their new incarnations should actually be pretty slick with seasons, HOWEVER, the aforementioned handshake agreement (or weird coincidence) of single existence will be in jeopardy. Phoenix lacks certain later classes and MLs, where Celestius embraced them. They've both got upsides for various players which probably threatens a pretty strong split - something that's not good for a DAOC freeshard.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

knox posted:

Dudes in 8man discord said Eden is going to be catering more to the RvR zergs/solos & small mans. Why that is I couldn't tell you but based on what Phoenix is doing with the voting options for carrying over all characters & RP levels potentially I definitely want to get started with Eden and see how server goes.

I think Phoenix is worried about competing with other servers already open and that's why they're considering not having a fresh restart and letting people vote to carry characters over, which is a big mistake in my opinion.

That sentiment is odd at best, imo. They're giving attention to small man and keep taking instead of trying to funnel literally everyone into eight-mans. I guess that's not what they want but the decline of the servers is usually around a few eight mans being so far ahead nobody wants to play, plus there being no advancement outside of it. I thought old eden did a great job of giving eight mans a place and supporting more fights while also giving small man players something to do. I can't imagine Phoenix surviving if it just careers to eights.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Rocky but pretty stable. I was actually hoping for something more like the Phoenix leveling event, but zerg is to be expected when ninety percent of the population is in two BGs. I think their Rog changes are gonna get rolled back, the gear is incredibly random to be so rare. I know they've got some deterministic systems coming but it should probably be fast and furious in levels lower than thirty since you blow through it so fast.

All that being said, just nothing like daoc pvp to this day. Put it directly in my veins.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Definitely feels like the first wave of leveling sub 40 is over, even my "group" characters have trouble finding something to join. I really, really wish they had just iterated on the Celestius formula instead of making Phoenix 2.0. Not even allowing a single box makes the leveling a total slog once the majority of people are out of range. Also can't log in your friends to keep them caught up.

DAOC stays winning though, just wishing I could engage with more of it.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
How's small man this season of Eden? One thing I really loved from Celestius was the small man focus and they didn't really bring it over in season one it felt like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

ded posted:

people that insist on soloing in daoc are either masochists, adepts, or a combo of both. even if you are somehow godlike in your abilities you will constantly get rolled by zergs/8mans/smalls. if you can tolerate that more power to you. seriously.

Example: high rr solo wizard on Celestius used to just fly over a hill and bolt the small man area. Hilarious and effective but the playstyle was super kamikaze.

There was a reaver that was a holy terror though, could 1v3+ depending on small comp and rr.