Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my Vizio is connected to the internet and it's well-behaved as far as I can tell. they did a big firmware update but I got a free remote out of the deal so I can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

same but sarnsung and also my lazy rear end still hasn't confined it to the guest network

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NEED MORE MILK posted:

is there a single consumer level device that implements ethernet over hdmi? it would be great to plug one device into the network and all other devices being connected via hdmi

i don’t think so

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

there are some dell switches that use hdmi as the interswitch fabric which is pretty lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i just installed one of those switches last week

the power/data connector on the back of our Ingenico credit card readers is an HDMI port as well

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

my aunt has a sharp aquos smart tv and it's poo poo garbage

my tv's only "smart" feature is viewing pictures from a sd card.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

my Vizio is connected to the internet and it's well-behaved as far as I can tell. they did a big firmware update but I got a free remote out of the deal so I can't complain.

nice to get something absolutely necessary to the use of your tv for free

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

my aunt has a sharp aquos smart tv and it's poo poo garbage

my tv's only "smart" feature is viewing pictures from a sd card.

Try hooking it up to cable TV with AC3 audio, it has impressive audio decoding latency of ~20s.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NEED MORE MILK posted:

there are some dell switches that use hdmi as the interswitch fabric which is pretty lol

lmao

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Share Bear posted:

nice to get something absolutely necessary to the use of your tv for free

just use the vizio app

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

using a smart TV is not a good idea reason #371

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/business/media/tv-viewer-tracking.html

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I have a crt (probably going to dump it) and don’t want a smart tv, any suggestions for monitors?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is that because 10/40GigE ports are still the premium? It can't be licensing as HDMI is probably the most expensive choice.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
lmao if you don't run your tv through pihole

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol hdmi whyyy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

cursed image

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Skim Milk posted:

cursed image

https://twitter.com/SilverAlicorn/status/1015053403515281409

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Captain Foo posted:

lol hdmi whyyy

probably a lot more ubiquitous and cheaper than cat6a at the time?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/1015055307406376961

uhhhh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

have you even looked at molex connectors

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

for when you want to connect two parts, but only pay minimal lip service to taking them apart again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

i want to do this with the two great big fuckoff knots of 22ga wiring under this pinball table so the playfield will be easier to take off next time

but next time will be in like, 20 years if ever, and if you're taking the playfield off you're probably also pulling all the little bits and bobs off of it anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i mean why the gently caress would you stack with SFPs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
We have a Vizio TV, I think it's a 720? BORAT VOICE MY WIFE got it for me about 6 or 8 years ago at the Sears out in Brookfield Square which is currently being torn down.

Thread not about computers: gas and ban OP.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Speaking of using the wrong connector, I have a cheapish DVR in my car and for power it has a mini-USB port - but it's 12v and not 5v on the pins. Pretty dangerous really, if I used the power adapter for another mini-USB device it might be a Bad Thing.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

I mean he isn't wrong, I you want high bandwidth with good noise rejection hdmi 2.0 is like 18gbps and even 1.2 is like 5

I would just use a loving spf+ dac but they're definitely not as ubiquitous and be prepared for every vendor to close your ticket if you aren't using a $300 cable from their approved list

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You could get close with SAS enclosure style connectors, but I've seen a lot of devices using HDMI for high throughput stuff now that isn't video.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

We have a Vizio TV, I think it's a 720? BORAT VOICE MY WIFE got it for me about 6 or 8 years ago at the Sears out in Brookfield Square which is currently being torn down.

Thread not about computers: gas and ban OP.

incorrect. TVs is computers now.

i was staying at a motel last week and when i turned the TV on it had some bullshit splash screen on it for like ten seconds before it finally started acting like a TV. i literally had to wait for the tv to loving boot.

don't you tell me this thread is not about computer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

incorrect. TVs is computers now.

i was staying at a motel last week and when i turned the TV on it had some bullshit splash screen on it for like ten seconds before it finally started acting like a TV. i literally had to wait for the tv to loving boot.

don't you tell me this thread is not about computer

Sounds like your television operating system is a piece of poo poo?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

what tv should i buy that runs the best nes emulator

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
they should make computers simple to use, like tv, so people in the community can get jobs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

creationist believer posted:

they should make computers simple to use, like tv, so people in the community can get jobs

lol i remember this, what was this from? a front page article?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

netwerk23 posted:

Speaking of using the wrong connector, I have a cheapish DVR in my car and for power it has a mini-USB port - but it's 12v and not 5v on the pins. Pretty dangerous really, if I used the power adapter for another mini-USB device it might be a Bad Thing.

so you record live tv in your car or what am i missing here

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Aix posted:

so you record live tv in your car or what am i missing here

Maybe it's for a dash cam? I thought those wrote to an SD card on re-write like the old VCR CCTVs did though (the SD card probably doesn't have the problem of getting so thin or tar-caked over time as to tear or gum up the heads though).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i got a snes classic and i dont know if i should get a projector or a TV to play mario kart

it seems like playing on a 180" screen would be cool but projectors are pretty noisy

please advise - the games are 224 vertical lines, so i think i need 4k??

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Portable projector so you can play outdoors. Play it on a sailboat and use a sail as the screen.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe it's for a dash cam? I thought those wrote to an SD card on re-write like the old VCR CCTVs did though (the SD card probably doesn't have the problem of getting so thin or tar-caked over time as to tear or gum up the heads though).
that makes sense, or maybe he got the cash cab used

big scary monsters posted:

i got a snes classic and i dont know if i should get a projector or a TV to play mario kart

it seems like playing on a 180" screen would be cool but projectors are pretty noisy

please advise - the games are 224 vertical lines, so i think i need 4k??
i hate projectors for a bunch of reasons. having to watch for ambient light (this isnt as big a problem nowadays tho thank god), getting a hosed up neck cause youre too close to a hugeass screen, having to supply your own speakers
also the bullshit rainbow effect making everyone think im insane http://www.theprojectorexpert.com/dlp-rainbow-effect/

Aix fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 7, 2018

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think my 4K TV is haunted, I keep seeing it just barely turned on at night :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

projectors were cool back when a big tv was 40 inches and it cost $3000 but they're dumb and pointless now. i can walk into best buy and get a tv 1 inch thick that will take up most of a wall for a few grand and not have to deal with screens or speakers or light levels or mounting or any of that poo poo.

• Locked thread