Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

How is Dervish in NZT's avoid category but Omega Drive isn't? It's comparable to Omega Drive in most respects (including that nonelemental business), but you want to pull out OK for it rather than Noctis/Cloud/Firion.

Two reasons.

One is, as stated earlier, accessibility. A lot more people like having Omega Drive as filler in omniresist/low-difficulty content due to having Combat 6* access.

The other is future sight. Dervish is good, but we're going to be getting another 6* Celerity skill down the wire with nu-torments that is actually feasible to use in content like Magicite. Omega Drive doesn't have anything unseating it at this time.

A surfing dog?! posted:

So I got on for the first time since Agrias came out I think? That's the newest thing I can remember anyway. Which of these banners are worth using my mythril/gems on as a returning player? My stuff was pretty good at the time, but I know my poo poo is obsolete by now. I already did the 3 pull on the misc. Final Fantasy summer banner because I love me some Tactics and got a Brigandine.

Congratulations on getting the best Legend Materia relic in the game. Ramza is very fast now.

All of those Realms On Parade draws are good for a new player, and any of the festival banners are top-notch pulls. The FF4 banners are good, but they're more geared toward higher-end play, so they might be worth considering if you want it, but generally they'll lose out at least minorly to the remaining fest offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

djfooboo posted:

Lol, I just assumed 6* dark matters we're locked behind content I couldn't clear

Nah, they haven't been released yet.

Also if you go into the menu and try to reforge a base-6* ++ item, you'll see that on top of the nonexistent Dark Matter, you need 18 million gil to reforge base-6*s.

Per item.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Indecisive posted:

Last fest I got boned by the water banner, 3 pulls with no good water gear, lets see if this one can remedy it

ACCEPTABLE

the LMR is tidus' only enwater so i guess i'll just have to hope he + yuffie can kill maliris quickfastly

With Rikku newchain and Tidus ASB? Absofuckinlutely. You could probably sub-30 with those three, especially if you have Yuff's USB2.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

All summon magic abilities scale with MAG, including Madeen. All white magic abilities scale with MND.

This is important enough to bear repeating. Aside from Ninjutsu (which has both MAG-based and ATK-based skills) and a few NAT-coded SBs, the ability type determines what stat an ability scales off of.

Black Magic, Summons, Witch Skills, and NAT-based damaging SBs (Trigger Happy's entry/CMD1, Wishing Star, etc) key off of MAG. In addition, a handful of Ninjutsu skills (the 3* Veils, Phantasm, Gust, Smoldering Fire, and Raging Storm) key off of MAG, but have a much lower hard cap since they pierce RES.

White Magic keys off of MND. This increases the amount of damage and healing you do with white magic, so high MND helps Rem as much as it helps Deuce. Mind also extends the length of dispellable buffs (Protect/Shell/Haste/Reflect) and Esuna-able debuffs (poison/stop/paralyze/silence/blind). NAT-based medica SBs (Trigger Happy CMD2, Selphie USB, etc) also keys off of MND, though they don't get boosts from +White in legend dives.

Everything else keys off of ATK. A couple of Knight skills (Armor Strike, Aegis Strike) and SBs (Steiner's SSB1) consider DEF in the equation for damage and are terrible because of it, but they still scale off of ATK as well.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Got the two things I was hoping for: good Earth kit on +earth gear (Tifa USB, twice) and Garnet's CSB. Not even the dupes could get me down after that point.

I'd argue that was even worth my skipping the other 4 banners for because I'm bad at saving mythril. Total 6* fest haul, including RoP and lucky banners, was chains for WoL and Garnet along with USBs for Ysayle, Rikku, Garnet, Faris, Onion Knight, Lulu, Ace, Machina, Jecht, Lightning, and Tifa.

Sometimes the gacha giveth. (Mostly it taketh away, but sometimes you get really lucky.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 3, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

with the worst 5* piece of equipment in his LMR.

Oh how quickly we forget.

Like, I will not argue that Gogo 6 LMR is The Worst LMR In The Game. It is, bar none; it takes his already awful no-good gimmick and makes it unreliable/unusable, and it's not even stats on a character that has utility elsewhere.

But it's not the worst 5* equipment in the game.

Genji Shield IV exists.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prav posted:

if you dive a ninja you are 100% guaranteed to pull a relic for some different ninja soon after

I tried this.

I got Shadow SSB. :negative:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm having trouble with Kraken. I've sub-30'd Ixion and have a bunch of lv99 4* lightning magicite so I'm boosted as much as I'm gonna ever be and still can't crack it.

My (pretty reliable) sub-30 of Kraken with no 4* lightning magicite is:
Shantotto (USB/full dive)
Reno (USB/full dive)
Garnet (CSB/LMR1, spends her time bardsonging)
Onion Knight (Entrustbot/mage USB)
Deuce (BSB/full dive)

You could probably emulate something pretty similar with Iris, OK, Garnet, Shantotto, and Lightning - you'd just have to hone up the +ATK song so Lightning does some damage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So is it best to farm one element until you max it and then move onto the next?

It will certainly make things easier, but that's... not exactly something you can always do. For instance, if you have a really strong lightning and ice game but incredibly bad wind and earth, you might end up skipping from Tiamat to Kraken without actually defeating Midgardsormr or Ixion (or vice versa with Maliris/Isgebind). If you can farm an element, though, doing so will help you out quite considerably, especially in the cases of Tiamat, Isgebind, and Kraken, who are incredibly rough without solid defenses against their poo poo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pander posted:

Let's see if I can duplicate that...

OK pUSB? Check.
OK LMR? No check.
Tifa LMR? No check.
Tifa USB2? No check.
Tifa AOSB? No check.
Bartz...anything useful? No check.
Elarra USB? No check.

So I'm...part of the way there.

Ramza BSB2 or Galuf Chain (when it's released) can fit in for OK pUSB, though naturally it'll be a bit slower without the instant-cast (Ramza would be the entrustbot in that case, instead of Shelke). TGC USB works in place of Tifa USB2 or Bartz; you lose a bit of entry damage and enearth, but you gain in thirstycasting Earth Sabers instead of Gaia Rushes. The AOSB and USB are mostly for speed-clear purposes, I figure.

My Ixion team consists of TGC, Bartz (with BSB/USB), Yuffie (with her SSB and the earth ninja skills), Arc (for his blink medica SSB), and Ramza. It's not quite as clean as this but I feel like I could make it consistent now with a source of Hastega on a skill. Maybe use Ovelia, for her undispellable RES +100% on her USB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

When do old torments go away?

The 11th, coinciding with the release of the first new torment (FFT, with Queklain Cu Chulainn).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

If you go to Upgrades and Inventory, right under "break level cap" you'll see record spheres.

If you've been playing recently you've probably gathered up materials already without even realizing, and you for sure have gotten some from the gift dungeons.

Almost anyone level 80+ can be dove for additional stats using the 3, 4, and 5* motes that you occasionally get. 3 and 4* are generally just extra stats and extra % damage to certain things.

You'll want to start with diving your most powerful characters that you have the best soulbreaks for. For me, my first full dive was Tidus because I have his USB/BSB/OSB/LMR.

First you use 3*, then 4*, then 5* motes if you want to go that far. 5* motes are considered "legend dive" and you'll get additional boosts. For my Tidus his LD is + water damage and a chance for water abilities to trigger twice. They slot into LMR spots. He also gets a bunch of HP, about 70 extra strength and some other stuff.

Slight correction is that it's 65+. You just need to get to the second level cap.

Also adding in that generally for 3* and 4* it's extra stats and damage/resistances, but on the 4* level some characters actually unlock extra equipment or skill access, ranging from "pointless" (Warrior of Light gets Ninja 3* and Thief 3*, woo) to "niche but helpful" (Rinoa getting Staff access, Vaan getting Gun access) to "honestly lifts the character up several tiers" (Quistis getting Black Magic 5* and White Magic 4*, Cloud and Lightning getting 5* Spellblade).

Generally if possible you want to get characters you INTEND to use fully dived up to the 4* level eventually, though the 5*/Legend Dive is a lot more like a dedicated power play that you don't want to waste resources on for characters you AREN'T using.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

In other news, gently caress that 220 Corridor of Trials thing. Don't attack the bombs, they explode. Attack them, they counter and explode. Kill them and they're resummoned!

The grey grenade only explodes as a counter to physical damage, but it does so 100% of the time. The red balloons can randomly explode whenever their turn comes up or as a rarer counter to physical damage. Flame Eater only resummons when all three are dead, if memory serves. So either bring on the AoE Magic, or if you're doing physicals, burst down the balloons quick and leave the grenade alive as you murder the boss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Supposedly the FF10 one is the worst? Which fits nicely with my water game being loving poo poo.

I'll have to RW a decent BSB and just use my own buffs, I suppose.

The FF10 one has probably the worst trash and the most dirty tricks, but Geosageno goes down like a sack of bricks to any sort of weakness, be it his built-in water one or an imperil-granted one. He's not really any harder than your standard A+ at this point.

As far as raw boss difficulty goes, FF11 has bad synergy and a whole lot of status effect shenanigans, FFT and FF3 are both damage races with elements the game expects you to have absurd amounts of, and FF2 is high-octane damage sponging. The gigases don't really have a lot of gimmicks, they just poo poo out a whole bunch of damage relatively quick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've got 2/7/9/10/11/13 left to do.

Of those, 7 and 9 are the easiest - they're pretty mild for torments and their gimmicks are easily managable compared to the others.

11's difficulty depends on your ability to prevent or cure statuses: if you have a status blink, Affliction Break, and/or Ultra Cure you'll be a lot better off than if you lack those things. It's basically the same vein as the FF1 Torment but dialed up to extreme degrees.

2, 10, and 13 are definitely the hardest, given that they're all relatively heavy hitters with plenty of HP, with 10 having a chance of petrifying your dudes with his physicals (and the %HP regurgitate attack) and 13 having the hardcoded Doom Timer in the second half of the fight. If you pushed through 4/12/Tactics, though, you should have the sustained damage to see you through to at least clears, if not the special mission bonuses.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Avalerion posted:

There really should be some holy samurais.

Gosh, it's not like we have any characters who have desperately begging for that niche to fill.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

From last night:

I now have USBs for every Type 0 character except the two I really want USBs on. (And Queen, I guess, because Queen exists.) Feels frustrating, man. :negative:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Jack’s is just a Decil clone in fire it seems. Not into it, lacks the glint to reapply bubble though admittably you don’t hurt yourself with samurai skills.

Rem USB2 is revolting
Deuce USB2 is great RS healing but nothing special in 2018

thanks for the fire relics DeNA.

Deuce USB2 is just a clone of Ovelia USB, albeit on a character with Doublecast White LM2. It's not quite top tier now and in six months it'll basically be "good" instead of great. Definitely not a bad choice with her LMR, though, since you can alternate USB2+BSB.

Rem USB2 is trash what the gently caress. Why the gently caress does DeNA keep trying to push reraise.

Jack USB is pretty obviously intended to lead into his LM2 and trigger the trance mode, but that gimmick sure as hell won't work on high-end bosses looking to poo poo out damage, and unlike Machina, he doesn't even have a lovely backup source of stoneskin to MAYBE keep running.

Fire Flametasy Refried Kindling. Who cares about other elements, we need more Fire and Wind and Holy.

fridge corn posted:

Struggling to stay interested in this game

This is the path of all gacha games, hemorrhaging players as they start to travel deep into their own assholes in a frantic attempt to lure in bigger whales.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

How long do most gacha games last? Or, to speak more generally, how long do most free-to-play games last? Currently FFRK is at three years, and having never given a care about the market before I dunno where that is in the standard life cycle. (I also used to play Warframe several years ago, and while that's still going very strong I assume it's a fortunate aberration for Digital Extremes.)

Also it would be cool to see some (some) of these design concepts iterated and thoroughly polished into a standalone product, but I doubt that's financially viable.

Most last two years or less, but that's because the market is absolutely flooded with them and most aren't very good. Square-Enix has experience failing miserably at mobile games (America may not have ever heard of Final Fantasy Tactics S or Pictologica Final Fantasy, but they sure as hell heard about All The Bravest and Justice Monsters 5, and technically Heavenstrike Heroes came out over here, too) so they've more or less refined their design/sales techniques for the long haul with the Record Keeper/Brave Exvius/Mobius trifecta.

Puzzle and Dragons is probably the oldest-living gacha around and it's only from 2012; some particularly evergreen longrunners like Granblue Fantasy, Brave Frontier, and Summoner's War are from 2013-2014, though at least the latter two of those are basically limping along at this point and may not be keeping afloat much longer.

Unfortunately, FFRK has limitations that PAD doesn't - it has to try to stick to the "feeling" of Final Fantasy, which means capping out players at Lv99, using mostly familiar spells/SBs, and minimizing promotional crossovers. I don't know my optimism about it lasting to 2020 as a gacha.

That's not to say I'm not optimistic about its chances of survival, quite the opposite - I'm kind of seeing Record Dungeons as being the direction they're trying to take the game in for a possible future "completed" release sort of like Final Fantasy Dimensions 2 had. I'd sure as hell pay for a game that let me just build teams through record dungeons in ways that were more like puzzles and less like DPS races.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I do have to wonder if they'd make more doing once-monthly 500-gem-with-choice banners. Personally speaking the price point of 11 pulls is just way too high. Like five times what I'd consider reasonable.

I'm sure there's reams and reams of market analysis at work trying to find the sweet spot where the multiplier of "people buying" intersects "price" with the maximum result, but I'm also thoroughly unconvinced this is it.

The reason the whale terminology came around is because of the sheer, absurdist scope of how much some people spend on f2p gacha games. Some people need to not just have every item on every banner, but need to have it maxed out, at its highest rarity, and have to have their entire teams maxed out too, and so forth.

There are people who pay five digits worth of money on mobile games a month. You'd need to get ten thousand people paying $5 to match the power of luring in that one person foolish enough to blow $50k a month. A lot of companies focus less on optimizing profits - which is something PAD has managed to find the sweet spot of quite effectively, I might note - and more about minimizing effort for maximum gain.

Why work ten times as hard to get two times as much money?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Boy, I sure could use some more Holy options! Oh boy, a 1/11 6* pull!

:bang:

What the hell is this USB anyway? Damage, a break, and Proshellga? This seems very schizophrenic.
edit: I guess it'll work as for him as a dancer/mage hybrid.

It's meant entirely for you to drag him to the nutorment where the pentabreak will do work and the proshellga will save slots and dWhale Cuchulainn is basically only viable with mage meta because of how high his DEF is.

Yeah, they gave the FFT nutorment 70k Defense. You're not gonna get more than like 2k per hit even with your non-Orlandus spamming rear end Saber outside of chain.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Avalerion posted:

Do you know if future ones are also this bad in needing one specific setup, or do the more varried realms allow variety in party building too?

As Zurai noted, it's less that it "needs one specific setup" - all of the sub 30s are, in fact, by a team of Knights (including Ramza) using Assault Saber and literally nothing else except their SBs - and more that it's got a lower RES than DEF so in another, more mage-friendly realm magic would totally be the way to go.

The more varied realms will by definition allow more variety in party building; FF6 is going to have a more varied loadout than FFT (which is about 50% Knight by volume) and FF10 (which is basically all Water, Dark, and Fire, with a heavy bias towards Sharpshooters and summoners).

Zurai posted:

Theoretically, Marach, Rapha, Montblanc, a healer, and I guess you could turn Orlandeau or Gaffgarion into a darkness mage? Or wait 6 months for Orran Durai to come out, he's likely going to be another mage.

The clear that led me to believe was Marach/Rapha/Montblanc/Ovelia/Alma, if memory serves. You're right that every sub-30 I've seen online is Ramza/Agrias/Orlandeau/Ovelia/Marche, though. That I did so piss-poor with my own team in those circumstances is why I made some faulty assumptions.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm building my first Siren team and need a little advice. Current theorycraft team:

Seifer - Dark Chain - Not sure what abilities I should use/craft/hone

OK - pUSB, Wrath, Entrust

Selphie - USB, Curada, Shellga

My best options for the other slots are Orlandeau, Cloud, and Shadow. I have Orlandeau USB and Cloud USB, but I'm not sure which is better. Cloud can break the damage cap with darkness abilities after USB entry and Orlandeau thirstycasts darkness abilities which require more hones. Orlandeau and Cloud are also both LD. For Shadow, I have his BSB, LMR, and I can easily LD him and maybe hone a dark ninja ability or two.

I feel like I should use Orlandeau or Cloud because it will probably result in more damage for less effort but I also don't know which darkness abilities are the best to hone. I really don't think I should be using the one that hurts me because it's magicite and they hit hard. I also don't want to use both Orlandeau AND Cloud because I don't have the orbs to hone enough abilities for both of them. Well, I might, but it would drain me pretty hard and I still haven't attempted Hades either. So I kind of want to use Shadow and either Orlandeau or Cloud.

Also, is it a good idea to double heal on Siren? If so, I assume I would drop Shadow? He would build the chain the fastest but I feel like he would also do the least damage.

As far as Darkness abilities, Dread Weapon and Crimson Cross are both good, with CC being slightly more favorable if you're running dual healer and DW being better with single. Cloud wants Heavy stuff if he's running Dark with USB/LMR3, but you can probably drop OK in favor of a quicker entrust bot or a healer - pUSB isn't much more than a Hastega for you, since Orlandeau USB and Cloud USB both come with a better (albeit selfish) critfix and Seifer's chain gives the +50% ATK.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

imho they should have made wind Ramza's primary element and they should have made Marche literally anything other than a knight.

Honestly, Marche had a perfectly good niche to be the Heavy user based around a Fighter kit, but nope, had to go with the Paladin job! Because FFT doesn't have enough knights.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I did it with Sabin using Piercing Blow, which I still had for some reason :shrug:

Who knew that defense-ignoring stuff was good for underselling hits on weaksauce enemies?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Can we stop with the all event banners are suddenly bad meme. Everything except XII (Vaan USB2 etc) and X (We made Jecht fire since it's a rare element and his dark legend dive makes him unique) are fine banner 1s to pull on.

It's not even that all banners are bad, it's that we got about 3-4 months of absolutely bonkers banners in severe rapidfire, culminating in the last fest, and then banners went back to the normal "good" with only the really experimental poo poo (see X) stinking it up proper.

Compared to constant god-banners, good banners are "crap" in the same way that if you've lived your entire life eating five star cuisine you'll be snobbish about the best goddamn fast food imaginable. It's still good, yo, we just got spoiled on better.

Avalerion posted:

Banner quality is about to get better though - first with a switch to 5x 6* star format, then later dropping two relics from the usually dud bsb section.

Jury's out as to if the Dud Wildcard system is an "upgrade" or a sidegrade. On the plus, those two relic slots no longer exist, but on the minus, that 2%ish is replaced with absolutely any relic - including uniques - for the banner headliners. It's good for waifu building but not always good for getting an increase in power.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

JP got a SSB+ banner for each realm,which was 15 mythril per 11 pull, for one of their fests. This should be coming up in Global, and the good thing is they don’t go away.

I can only hope and pray that they replace the Newcomer Banners so we stop having to scream at people to not pull on the newcomer banners.

Also, it's 15 mythril for the first 11 pull per realm, full 50-mythril price after that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Not true. With the exception of ff6 b1, it has been BSB/LMR and up only. No SSBs or uniques.

I'm mistaken then. Kind of hard to keep up with that now that Reddit's design sucks and I can't read JP's actual updates. :shobon:

I'm not sure if that's better or worse, honestly, because it reverses the situation - the pool at least gives you something you could potentially use, but it means the ultra-ancient legacy gear for your Special Friend character is relegated to absurdly lucky (even with JP's new rates) daily draws.

Prav posted:

tiamat-farmer here, i wish i was fighting bismarck

Ixion farmer here, incredibly glad I have decided not to farm Tiamat.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

The only two I can think of are Edge and Noctis's "don't call them USB's" SSB's.

Arc's SSB2 is better than some healer USBs in that it's an instant-cast Curaga-tier medica with party-wide pblink. It's not as good as the "standard" medica USB, but still solid kit. I use it in my Ixion teams.

What were these bonkers banners in rapidfire? The last hyped one I remember was Cinque USB and the coming T0 banner is about as good as ”The moneycinque” too.

Starting from November, we had Marche USB, about a month later was FFXII with Ashe USB/Reks USB/Vaan USB, then Christmas Fest (which kind of sucked), Onion Knight USBs, Orlandeau USB, Kingdom Hearts, 3rd Anniversary Fest, Vayne/Larsa USB, Cinque banner, Barbariccia event, Summer Sun Festival.

About half the year we had significantly ludicrous banners about once a month if not more frequently, and then our baseline evened out to the standard again.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Anyway, the reason I jumped on the mediocre and bad banners claim is because it scares away people who just play the game on bus to work and use their favorite dudes. Kind of lovely when you're told you can't pull for three months if you ask me. Veterans can do whatever they want.

Yeah, I get you there, and I'm in firm agreement.

Just pull. Don't worry about if it's "the best" use for your mythril; if it sounds cool or it's for a character you like, just pull. Especially if you're new - you got a lot of mythril in the mines.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pander posted:

What even qualifies as a lower tier character? A lot of characters can go from useless to situationally great with a single relic.

Like I never used Edgar, then I got his USB. And now he's dived and rad.

Nine is a nerd from a game maybe five people played, and his BSB isn't even coded as a Dragoon-type attack to work off of literally every other piece of his kit. And yet I got his USB and now he's competing with Luneth for my best Wind dragoon.

Meanwhile, Cloud is great and busted and I keep hearing people gush about how he gets all the cool new toys and the game really has a boner for him... I have his three BSBs and nothing else, and he's pretty poo poo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

For hastega you've got Lenna's old uSB, Gogo's SSB, and Galuf's USB. Your only options for cast speed buffs are Krile's SSB (magic QC3) and CSB (QC2). And the only character who can use ACM is Gogo.

Also you can actually have up to 2 non-realm characters for 280 without much trouble. You only lose some elemental weakness and break vulnerability, but the boss doesn't get any damage reduction.

DWhale is where you absolutely need a full realm party.

Better yet, your only real physical buffing options are the ATK/MAG SBs (Dorgann SSB, Gogo SSB, Galuf USB), the two Nuchains (Gilgamesh/Galuf), and Lenna's old unique. For magic you've got the aforementioned ATK/MAG and Sheepsong. Your instant medicas are literally nonexistent since Lenna's USBs are normal cast time and there are no other realm white mages as far as SBs go.

For as good as FF5's DPS is, its supportive/healing situation is goddamn hideous.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Indecisive posted:

I really wish they would publish exact drop rates for banners, this is like the last gacha game (that I've played) that still hasn't done it. I refuse to believe LMR's are not way more common than other poo poo

They post it in the Japanese game, but we just have to take their word that they don't tamper with it for global.

Of course, it's pretty easy to take their word since the last time they tampered they had a PR nightmare on their hands. :allears:

EDIT: That said, at least on 14-item banners it's 1% per banner item. That means that the 6* pool is ~4%, and the 5* pool is ~10%, give or take a few fractions of a percent for offbanner "luck". That means that yes, the less desirable stuff (LMRs, BSBs, Glints) are more than twice as common in a broad sense than the actual chaser items.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 30, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hogama posted:

All new relics are on banner 1, but banner 2 is like... most of the new stuff from the next VIII event banner 1 excepting, like, Quistis's LMR?

What do you think the over/under is on people on Discord insisting not to pull on the Quistis God Banner, and instead wait six months for this? :jerkbag:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

They can be a really annoying bottleneck when you're new, since were basically just limited to the ones we get from the weekly event and greens store. You might have plenty, but not of the right types. And getting more always means waiting for a week and hoping the event spits out the correct type of mote.

Yeah, Vitality, Bravery, and Wisdom are exceptionally high-demand for 3* motes; I don't run out as much as a newer player would, but even as a week 1 player I haven't been able to give everyone a full 3* dive, which is saying something.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

i think there’s just a fundamental difference in values going on here because personally i can’t imagine a world where i think attempting to 3* dive every single character available in this game is a worthwhile endeavor

When you live in post-scarcity gacha, you do it just because you can. Is it worthwhile? Nah, not really. But it's not like you can sell motes or upgrade them to the next rarity up or anything.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

Yuffie Edge and Shadow don't need any SB to be good. Their doublecast dive combos with strong ninja attacks that build well off multicast procs. Particularly with a chain.

Plus, if any boss has particularly obnoxious attacks that get stopped by pblink they basically pay their own way into the fight. This isn't so much a thing for the Holy magicites, of course, but it makes the ninjas a godsend against Ixion and nice to have vs Maliris.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Avalerion posted:

How is the new celerity 6*, does being instant make up for only being 3 hits? Probably no good for lighting as it devaluates the quick cast from her usb anyway but might work for the fairy.

It's basically Quick Hit with an extra hit, an element and more gauge build.

Anyone who's used Quick Hit, particularly Quick Hit as a replacement for Lifesiphon, will tell you that poo poo Is Good. In particular, Onion Knight with his physical USB goddamn adores it because now he contribute in ways other than "offhealer" or "entrust bot". Kind of hone-thirsty, but what 6* isn't.

Hogama posted:

Technically all the new stuff's on banner 1 as usual, but for Global, if we never get the Absolute Virtue event banner, all the new stuff from THAT's divided amongst the two banners.

So is FF11 going to be "the Lightning realm" now like FF8 did ice and FF10 did water? I'm noticing that Prishe, Lilisette, and Aphmau all dabble relatively heavily in it, and it's entirely Shantotto's deal.

Also, good - the one relic I actually care about is on Banner 1 anyway. :haw:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Rabite posted:

So... I been gone for about a year and a half, what did I miss?

18 months of powercreep. Most of it is in the OP (which is current as of about two months ago) but bullet points:
  • Everything is elemental now, non-elemental stuff is for nerds and backups
  • Tyro has an upgraded wall, support SBs generally get packed with Protectga/Shellga/Hastega baked in
  • Magicite exists. Magicite is garbage, ignore it unless you have nothing better to fiddle with
  • In a similar vein, Arcane Overstrikes and Glints exist - AOSBs use 1.5x of a normal SB charge, can only be used once a battle, and are basically 3x the (potential) power of a normal OSB; Glints use half a normal SB charge, can only be used 3 times in a battle, and tend to have more utilitarian buff suites (early ones have enelement + quick cast, more modern ones have things like rank boosts or critfixing)
  • A bunch of other stuff it's easier to experience for yourself

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

All that said, Souls of a Hero and MC1s/MC2s are embarrassingly common by now. The game will throw all of them at you either through specific events or just as generics, so don't be afraid to whip them out whenever you feel like doing so. By now veterans have probably thrown away hundreds of each, far over the number of characters ever possible to include in the FF canon, on memory eggs just because they don't have any other use for them. In contrast MC3s are still not a fire-and-forget mechanic, but over time you'll still get enough to fix up everyone with a 6* relic or other top-tier SB to level 99.

MC3s are getting close, for players who have been here the entire time. I think I'm less than 30 lodes away from having MC3s for literally everybody.

They're definitely the rarest though and you'll be playing for a good long while before you use them on just anybody: use them on people you want to take on the long haul or who have really really good Record Materia. (Usually +Damage RMs, but there's a few "start with status" things like Amarant's Lv99 or attack replacers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

I got Spellblade (the character) up to 99 so I never have to pay attention to orb dungeons ever again

This is the main thing. Spellblade makes dailies soloable by Orlandeau, Ninja is good for characters who might want to do a little bit of chip damage since it ignores RES, Devout is good if you have a white mage you need to drag through trash waves. Noctis's (Attack becomes old-style Quick Hit but doesn't boost gauge) is okay for things where you don't build gauge like mote dungeons or Endless Battles.

Anything that replaces the auto-Attack command other than that is generally not worth using, no.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 10, 2018