Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gwenpool is going to be in West Coast Avengers, written by Kelly Thompson, along with Hawkeye and the worse Hawkeye, Quentin Quire and Ms. America Chavez (and the better Hawkeye's boyfriend).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedi posted:

Was Iceman a good book, though? I mean it wasn't as bad as America, but I wouldn't say it was on par with Wasp. And none of them were as good as Mockingbird.

I thought it was decent, but I only read the first couple issues when they popped up on Unlimited, so it wasn't a must read for me or anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

there is a death in death of the inhumans 1 that will shake the marvel universe down to its very core

marvel rising was fun

immortal hulk still good tho not nearly as dark as 1

I just read the spoilers. What the gently caress Marvel?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Al Ewing needs to get a prestige book toute suite. The dude's mind does not work the same way as anyone else at Marvel and I love it.

I'm not sure what you mean by prestige, because he's had like 27 different Avengers books and also the Loki book that could ignore most events when Loki was the most popular character from the films. He needs to find an artist he likes and can work fast and do a loving Image book that gets optioned for a tv show (doesn't really matter if the tv show gets made).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

USAvengers and Loki are not what anyone thinks of when they say prestige books.

Then what's an example of a prestige book? I think it's either something like New Avengers (you know, Bendis' poo poo where they finally had both Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers and was the catalyst for every event comic for the next decade) or something like Sandman (which is not comparable to anything that Ewing's written), or Mike Carey's Lucifer (which definitely feels like what Ewing was doing with Loki: Agent of Asgard).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of everything that's happened in Amazing Spider-Man from about the point where Superior Spider-Man ended? That's roughly where I stopped reading. Might come back now that Slott is finally gone.

You know they replaced Slott with Nick "let's make Captain America a Nazi" Spencer, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Ummm issues 1 through 6...??? before it became a cw2 tiein and went off the rails

I think he was making a joke about how it was something like the 6th comic titled Ultimates.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senjuro posted:

He also did Superior Foes though, right? That was pretty good from what I remember.

I enjoyed Superior Foes, but I'd also say that regardless of that his Ultimate X-Men run should have gotten him banned from writing for either of the big two forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

ya if you just say the ultimates, there's a lot of things that could be

It's sorta appropriate that that title includes some of the best and some of the worst comics published by Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I'd say as well as any of the Marvel books of the past few years?

11/15 AN Wolverine #1 - 119,786
11/15 AN Wolverine #2 - 55,634 (-53.6%)
12/15 AN Wolverine #3 - 50,990 (- 8.3%)
01/16 AN Wolverine #4 - 49,978 (- 2.0%)
02/16 AN Wolverine #5 - 43,149 (-13.7%)
03/16 AN Wolverine #6 - 44,668 (+ 3.5%)
04/16 AN Wolverine #7 - 38,168 (-14.6%)
05/16 AN Wolverine #8 - 38,242 (+ 0.2%)
06/16 AN Wolverine #9 - 43,545 (+13.9%) (CV2)
07/16 AN Wolverine #10- 38,579 (-11.4%) (CV2)
08/16 AN Wolverine #11- 40,312 (+ 4.5%) (CV2)
09/16 AN Wolverine #12- 35,481 (-12.0%) (CV2)
10/16 AN Wolverine #13- 38,297 (+ 7.9%)
11/16 AN Wolverine #14- 35,437 (- 7.5%)
12/16 AN Wolverine #15- 31,796 (-10.2%)
01/17 AN Wolverine #16- 35,128 (+10.5%)
02/17 AN Wolverine #17- 29,255 (-16.7%)
03/17 AN Wolverine #18- 46,731 (+59.7%)
04/17 AN Wolverine #19- 57,526 (+23.1%)
05/17 AN Wolverine #20- 36,573 (-36.4%)
06/17 AN Wolverine #21- 38,500 (+ 5.2%)
07/17 AN Wolverine #22- 34,610 (-10.1%)
08/17 AN Wolverine #23- 27,867 (-19.5%)
09/17 AN Wolverine #24- 33,140 (+18.9%)
10/17 AN Wolverine #25- 62,286 (+87.9%)
10/17 AN Wolverine #26- 28,499 (- 54.2%)

What happened in issue 18 where it jumped from 29 thousand to 46 thousand? and again almost doubled its sales at issue 25 only to lose half of them the next issue?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bagrada posted:

I've never read Spider-Man but from watching the movies and picking up on stuff over the years, have they never done one where Peter is given the goblin formula and goes batty for a bit? Seems like something they would have gotten to in the 80s.

Given his origin Spider-Man and then the whole symbiote thing has always treated his abilities as a pseudo-curse, so trying to make himself more powerful with genetic manipulation is pretty out of character, he's fine with technological advantages though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

How is it hard? Spider-Man and Mary Jane are a couple. They have couple problems. Mary Jane's personality was defined in the Steve Ditko/Stan Lee run. Make her that but grown up. Have her involved with his life, like spouses tend to be. Have her have her own problems. Have them intersect like Peter and Spider-Man's problems do.

Also, give them a kid. Because that way parents can relate and kids can relate.

She was most definitely not defined in the Lee/Ditko era, she appeared exactly once with an obscured face. She didn't have an actual face, let alone personality, until Romita Sr. was drawing it. And Peter and MJ didn't become a serious couple until Gwen Stacy died, which was after Stan Lee stopped writing the comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

That last page of Darkhawk today really made me smile. I want to petition Marvel to let them write a book all about just random '90s D-listers because I love all of those characters.

There's a new Darkhawk series? Also speaking of 90's as hell poo poo, how's the Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider series, I know people didn't like it when it started but enough time has passed that maybe it found its voice?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Three observations after just finishing issue one of X-23.

1: New writer is great. Feels like it's not going to miss a beat without Tom Taylor. I felt like I was reading a continuation of that book and that's great. So I expect it to still be one of the best books monthly.

2: Man that art was fantastic. Not that familiar with the artist's other work besides that really fun short Elektra mini from a little while back but I hope he's on this book a while.

3: Gabby continues to maybe be the best new character of the decade.

Okay, I'm sold on the book.

Tom Taylor is still writing X-Men Red, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Yes he is. Also the Cuckoos aren't just there for a clone gag. They look to be a big part of at least the first arc.

Do they explain why they look identical again, aside from two of them dying, deciding they didn't want to look like the clones of Emma Frost that they are was the biggest character development.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Has Laura ever met Aaron Stack, maybe they can exchange notes about coping with their codenames

Has he been in anything in the last decade or whatever? Last I remember seeing him was when he showed up in Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers version) with his NEXTwave personality. Given that Al Ewing made NEXTwave canon I figure he would have had a cameo or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

For a second I thought that Sony was going try to make a spin-off movie.

That was probably in some coked out executive's five year plan at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I've thought from the minute Secret Empire ended and he was still alive that Hydra Steve would eventually be the new Red Skull. That's just where I feel it will naturally lead to.

Wouldn't be the first (or even second I think) time the Red Skull was a clone of Steve Rogers (clone might not be the right word, but whatever).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doom definitely doesn't have a law degree because if he did you know he'd insist on being called Dr. Doom Esquire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

Cyclops was fine before AvX because that whole event was garbage and he never really recovered from it. He only got worse the more Bendis wrote him.

He was his most interesting when Morrison and Whedon wrote him. Also Gillen did a decent job with him as well.

His last really good chance of being awesome again was when he once again got the Phoenix powers but he was written by Hickman so it was badass even though no one had any clue how it loving happened. And of course getting ganked by God-Doom, our Lord and savior long may he reign.

If Hickman ever comes back to Marvel I really want him on Uncanny X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Didn’t he once say he had no interest in X-Men? I hope so. I love him but that seems like a bad fit to me.

He had a good grasp on how Beast was actually the complete worst ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

Happy to see What If is back, even if "What If Flash Thompson was bitten by the spider" has already been done twice.

Curious what the hell that Ghost Rider one is supposed to be.

I was gonna say, "how the hell has there not been a Flash as Spider-Man" comic before?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

There was like 3 Spider-Women before the Gwen Stacy one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

it sucks trying to find an omnibus after its release. I managed to find Fraction's Hawkeye and FF at a con for decent prices, but that's about it.

Target's website is good if you're trying to get new ones. Got the GMo Batman one for $45, and the Seven Soldiers one will be the same price in August, compared to $63 or so everywhere else on a $75 cover price.

Sometime they overprint past what people will buy to a hilarious degree. I paid less than forty bucks for the X-Statix omni, MSRP was like 75 I think. Best birthday present since the N64 came out and I got it for myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is it going to be in continuity with the main line? Like I'm not expecting it to crossover with the next event book or whatever, but is it going to be a separate universe like Ultimate or Marvel Adventures?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Nine-nine![/Terry]

It's a pretty easy choice, really. B99 is about people who use great power with great responsibility to help others when in uniform, but are massive fuckups in their private lives.

I figured it might hit too close to home. Funny how, given the number of times cops have shot at him two of his favorite shows are about cops. (Dog Cops is his other one)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Yes please.

He kills Speedball's cat at the end of the first issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

X-Men Black is a series of mutant villain-led one shots.

Uncanny X-Men is returning in November. :toot:

Who's writing/drawing Uncanny?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Didn't Jeph Loeb show up at the Iron Fist panel dressed like Mr. Miyagi or something? is he having a mental break down?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

There are only 2 genders - Skrull and Skrull.

What about super skrull

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

e: i need to start an xls of who is a minority in here so i can remember who i should and should not be yelling at lol

One of my grandparents was Irish or something and I guess they used to be slaves, so I think that means I'm allowed to use the n-word.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I could see McFarlane loving up spectacularly enough in another lawsuit that somehow Marvel ends up owning Spawn.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 27, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of the Fantastic Four.

I’m halfway through FF Masterworks Vol. 1 and enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I’d enjoy reading 50 year old comic books.

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four is probably the greatest long run on comics ever. Claremont X-Men is the only thing I can think of that comes close, but that has it's lows (oh my god the lows).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Bendis' Daredevil was great.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is up there.

Bendis/Maleev Daredevil is probably the greatest Daredevil run ever, but it's also half the length of Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

I know it's still fairly recent but I believe the Waid/Samnee Daredevil run deserves to be in the discussion of best Daredevil runs ever.

It's good, but it's behind Miller in the Daredevil rankings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress it, why not, every time something good happens in the X-books they completely abandon it right away anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I SAID I WAS SORRY

Even if he takes it we know his ego can't handle being edited.

You actually didn't and now we have to live with this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've feel like I've complety blanked everything out of my mind of Bryne post 80s. Whats this context?

I know he was really pissed about Latina Jessica Alba playing Sue Storm in that not very good Fantastic Four movie.

Edit:

quote:

“Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or ‘cute’ they are.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Seeing this classic

in the funny panels thread made me think, now that they brought Regular Wolverine back, how long before Sabretooth does another heel turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean at this point does Wolverine need a costume? Doesn’t looks like he’s hiding his face (actually did he ever had a secret identity? Or has he always just dressed up but everyone knows he’s Logan?) and assuming he’s been alive since the end of Secret Wars unless he’s joining a team I imagine he can skip the formalities.

The name "Logan" was first revealed by a leprechaun that was hanging around Banshee's castle in Scotland. Back when everyone thought the X-Men were dead he wore an eyepatch and went by "Patches."

Not a single word I've written is a lie.