Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

Oh also in some areas the market is saturated and centres aren't running rooms at full capacity, yet still have similar overheads.

It's still easy to make money though if you're in a good location or have good economies of scale ( eg. Goodstart or G8 Education)

The main difference between the childcare and aged care sectors is the blunt refusal by government to get involved in the former just when they're trying to avoid responsibility for the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gently caress, it's not every day a politician up and kills a department.

Les Affaires posted:

It might be that he's making a point about free speech or the onerosity of our defamation laws but it's a really risky and expensive way to make it.

You don't quite see: these guys are not just pampered, they have an imaginary friend worldview which demands that there be a reckoning of some sort, and he's just blind enough to think he'll get his day in court. Even if he doesn't, he still "wins" because the forces of evil were always going to somehow manipulate the legal system to attack him. You cannot reach someone like this, they are immune to reality.

cheese-cube posted:

Ahahahahhaaaaa https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...27938134f946a53

Truly the gift that just keeps on giving.

QED.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Relevancy deprivation syndrome is a horrible disease. Lyle Shelton was once a healthy bigot: now he struggles to find a narrative that will make him feel important on twitter again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The mere fact that a law was made specifically to punish people in a court for not standing, seems to me at least, a little odd. How ever did the law cope without this vital protection? Were the halls of justice unaware for a millenia that contempt of court was great but missing one tiny detail?

Then there's the trifling fact that the only conviction I can find under that law by googling is a Muslim woman. But not just any Muslim woman, oh no. Unanimously in every single headline it is a Muslim woman who is the Wife Of A Terrorist.

drat right there's contempt of court, there should be. The law doesn't automatically get credit for being the law. It has to be tested for fairness all the time and doesn't just get to be "respected" by some arcane ritual where everyone pretends to be respectful. That a law like this has to be applied rather points out the problem, does it not?

I don't blame lawyers for defending it, after all, they wear funny hats and clothes and do weird disconnected things along with the lawyery stuff, they can't be expected to see what a non-lawyer sees. But if you have to convict someone for not standing up, I'd say you've got a bigger problem than just respect, and you certainly are not getting it from the general population who might be wise enough to stand but still resent having to.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

The ABC is beaming radiation right at your head! Shut down the national broadcaster now.

*sings weird al to royals playing in supermarket*

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Voters thing Mal is a good bloke surrounded by assholes. The victory path is Mal surrounding himself with 9ther Mal like figures in leather jackets but LNP doesn't have the star power.

You can always tell its desperation time when they're trying to refocus the messaging on a popularity contest, as if they hadn't been stabbing him in the back for 2 years.

JBP posted:

I hate Malcolm Turnbull. I'm interested in what's actually happening.

Hate is a strong word, comrade. Perhaps it clouds your judgement of his winning ways.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

What is My Health Record? This is the first I've heard of it, sad to say.

The basic idea is to have your health data in a separate database where you control access for different medical professionals. The intent is good: being able to keep track of medical history could be important to future treatment and keeps it all in one place in a format that isn't subject to radical change depending on the records system of any one institution.

But it can also be bad: security concerns aside, many companies will have a vested interest in you having a record at all: insurance companies will almost certainly demand access or alter policies because you opted-out. It's not just about access either: once the data is there, it will be very difficult to remove or be updated or added to without hefty legal responsibility. That sounds like a good thing until you think about why doing none of those things might be better for a shady aged care home, who wants to keep certain information "safe" from regulatory eyes.

Sure, in an emergency situation, "healthcare professionals" are granted access, but the comforting blurb on the website doesn't go into details about what happens if you've restricted access by code; is that just ignored for five days and how is that tracked? If you remove information, they can never access that; what happens if your power-of-attorney decides that for you? To say nothing of the secondary use of the data which you have to turn off, because the default is "on". Some at the IT end of health were very concerned about that default back in May, and so wer the Law Council of Australia:

quote:

The Law Council does not consider that the policy decision to adopt an opt out model for creation of My Health Record supports a further decision to adopt an opt out model for secondary uses of My Health Record (i.e. health, clinical and medical research). Rather, the Law Council recommends that the opposite should be the case: that is, that the default creation of a My Health Record for an individual should lead to policy caution in adopting a default consent for secondary uses of that individual’s My Health Record. Measures should be adopted in the framework to require ‘opt in’ for the use of personal data for secondary purposes to ensure that any use of personal data is by consent, as required by the legislation.

In other words, "this is not stuff we want to litigate down the track". My advice: whatever you decide, get a professional like your GP to go through it with you, like I did: it was easier for mine to get in and set it up with me than getting permission from their stupid system to do it myself. The government is well aware that people are seriously skeptical, so expect some stupid advertising.

quote:

Meanwhile, the Federal Department of Human Services child support system suffered a four-day tech meltdown at Easter caused by its troubled transition from a post-end-of-life Cuba system to a Pluto platform.

Oh great

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of media lies:

quote:

The Canberra Press Gallery has announced its members will boycott the Pacific Islands Forum in solidarity with banned ABC journalists. Political editor Dr Martin Hirst says this is an historic decision by the Gallery.

Of course, NewsCorp will still send a team so everything is fine :tif: But it is a rare showing of intestinal fortitude by the CPG and should be encouraged.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

starkebn posted:

Yeah, they're just telling the minister what he wants to hear and pocketing the money. I bet they can't show their numbers.

Katherine Murphy (flogging her book) believes it's the new way that advisors make policy: they just make it up and put it out on all channels so the media can only react and can't make context for it, because there won't be any until they make that up too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

The man who got us through the GFC without a recession is a bad treasurer. Righto.

The author of this piece is a loving idiot. Was this filed as an opinion piece or as news?

She's one of the catallaxy crowd, they think they are special. The IPA aren't the only ones sucking down the trough provided by rich people looking for mouthpieces. See also Sinclair Davidson.

A trenchant (great word) review of Murphy's On Disruption. You should read the whole thing (particularly for the illustrative tweets which I left out), but this section makes a relevant point:

quote:

The key theme that Murphy explores is that the internet and social media instituted a period of disruption that has unsettled the news media and left it in a state of uncertainty that persists today.

This is true enough, but my criticism stems from the technological determinism that frames her view:

quote:

‘… the boss has decreed this is the future, not because he or she necessarily wants it to be, but because it is the future, and we are powerless to argue with it.’

This is a classic trope of technological determinism: the belief that technological change is the root cause of everything. In this case, it is the pessimistic, and ultimately passive, view that the future is somehow pre-ordained by the technology and that we are “powerless” to shape the future for ourselves.

Inevitably, Murphy argues, journalists must adapt to the new ways, rather than challenge them. The second telling point about the quote I’ve used here is the reference to “the boss”. This metaphorical figure is present in a long anecdotal metaphor that Murphy uses to explain how disruption has affected the news industry.

The analogy involves substituting the car industry for journalism. In the analogy, the reader is asked to imagine themselves as a worker in a car factory that is confronting technological change. Okay, it’s only a metaphor, so perhaps not be taken literally, but it is a key section of the first half of Murphy’s argument, so it is worth deconstructing.

Murphy begins by suggesting that the car analogy is ‘possibly psychic penance on my part’ for her previous work on ‘structural adjustment’, which emphasised ‘disruption as an economic homily’ while ignoring ‘the human dimension of the story’. As Murphy acknowledges, when there is personal interest involved, the human dimension suddenly becomes very real.

The take-away from this is that the structural adjustment process now being applied to journalism is a necessary corrective brought about by digital disruption.

However, I can’t ignore the use of the term “structural adjustment”, which is neoliberal parlance for destroying the status quo in pursuit of super profits and often used by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

From the Global Issues website, ‘Structural Adjustment — a Major Cause of Poverty‘:

quote:

Following an ideology known as neoliberalism and spearheaded by these and other institutions known as the Washington Consensus (for being based in Washington D.C.), Structural Adjustment Policies (SAPs) have been imposed to ensure debt repayment and economic restructuring. But the way it has happened has required poor countries to reduce spending on things like health, education and development, while debt repayment and other economic policies have been made the priority. In effect, the IMF and World Bank have demanded that poor nations lower the standard of living of their people.
Of course, if you are only responding to the demands imposed by technology, there is no point in resisting or arguing for an alternative approach. As a car worker – or journalist, if we move beyond the laboured metaphor – you can only suck it up and get on with the job.

Of course the boss isn't a victim of this at all, but this kind of view lets them off the hook far too easily, as

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

I would pay good money to watch Bill Bailey beat up T J Miller

God knows what Colin Mochrie will do to him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I mean, it depends, if they're proselytizing at me about my precious gift then probably not but if it's a quick swipe before going into the surgery y'know maybe someone could be that dumb.

In the US the anti-abortion crowd have vans roaming the countryside pretending to be pregnancy assitance* but are designed to put pressure on women to not have abortions. That's how crazy it is.

* within a very strict legal definition that lets them get away with it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"But it's different when they do it."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

you probably said something mildly critical of Paul Keating.

For reasons unclear to me I am blocked by Phillip Coorey, The Coward.

Half the time, the reason is you're following someone on twitter that they hate. It's all a bit juvenile and part of being Australian.

Speaking of juveniles and politics:

This awesome cost-cutting piece of paper in my mailbox announces the new Liberal candidate for Bendigo West!

Note the "30 seconds you'll regret if you actually send it" poll. You can just take a pic and text it to him (I'm drawing dicks on mine)!

quote:

THE Liberal Party will announce police officer and former Macedon Ranges Shire councillor Ian Ellis as the party’s candidate for Bendigo East.

The party will confirm Mr Ellis’ candidacy on Friday morning.

He is currently a Leading Senior Constable with Victoria Police working as an instructor based in Melbourne, and has previously served with Macedon Ranges Highway Patrol and the Major Collision Investigation Unit.

Mr Ellis moved back to Bendigo early last year, where in the past he has run a food manufacturing business and cafes. He has lived in Bendigo most of his life.

He will run against sitting Labor MP and public transport minister Jacinta Allan, who holds the seat on a margin of 5 per cent. She has held the seat since 1999.

Last year, the Liberal Party stated it had identified a “law and order” candidate to run in the seat.

Mr Ellis laid a wreath on behalf of Member for Northern Victoria Wendy Lovell at Wednesday’s Anzac Day service in Bendigo, sparking rumours he was the party’s pick for a local seat.

He told the Bendigo Advertiser he would make further comment about his candidacy on Friday morning, but confirmed he was the Liberal Party’s choice for Bendigo East.

Mr Ellis was elected to the Macedon Ranges Shire Council in 2014 following a countback after the resignation of another councillor.

He lost his spot on the council at the 2016 election, when seven councillors lost their seats.

During his time on council, Mr Ellis focused on supporting an ageing community and addressing substance abuse with younger residents.

He also prioritised “keeping costs in check, such as rates and expenditure” and wanted the council to provide “best value for money”.

Bendigo East is considered a crucial seat if the Liberal Party are to form government at the November 24 poll.

The Liberal Party is yet to announce a candidate for Bendigo West (my bold: because they're too busy in-fighting in the branch).

Awesome, he hasn't even quit his job yet! He's probably not a bad bloke but he hasn't been around long enough to make a dent (this is a recurring pattern with the Bendigo Libs), and scare-mongering doesn't work in this town, but hope springs eternal I guess.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Playing along with the personality contest the Libs obviously want is a sure fire losing game for the ALP. What am I saying, hail Dear Leader Dutton.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Honestly if things did shift enough for the Libs to actually squeak out a win, I'm not even sure they'll have time between realising this, and the election to develop a campaign, with their very smooth brains and tendency to try to kill and also eat each other.

Ah no you're mistaking the Victorian branch for the Federal party :v: Imagine having a platform so numb and dumb that even Turnbull has to pitch in.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this is a thing:

https://twitter.com/MyHealthRec/status/1020507663321522176

According to Independent Australia, however, they don't need a court order:

IA posted:

Firstly, what exactly is an order “similar” to a court/coronial order? To what kind of order does this refer, who is authorised to issue such an order and under what circumstances? This “similar” order needs to be fully explained.

Secondly, why does this information from the My Health Record website contradict the My Health Records Act 2012, which is the legislative framework that governs the Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA) and the law by which that agency must abide?

On the matter of disclosure for law enforcement proposes and so on the Act (Section 70) states:

quote:

Disclosure for law enforcement purposes, etc.

(1) The System Operator is authorised to use or disclose health information included in a healthcare recipient’s My Health Record if the System Operator reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following things done by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body:

(a) the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;

(b) the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;

(c) the protection of the public revenue;

(d) the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;

(e) the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.

And notes:

https://twitter.com/drkerrynphelps/status/1020946048527712257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

IA posted:

If the data collection were primarily for our benefit, it would not be necessary for the Government to allow access by 15 enforcement agencies, without a warrant and without our knowledge. If this system was intended primarily to enable health professionals to better treat our ailments, it would not be necessary for anyone other than those health professionals to access our data. It would certainly not allow access to the Federal Police, ASIC, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection or any other agency responsible for “protecting public revenue”, to name just a few currently able to request warrantless access.

If nothing else, this misinformation campaign confirms that a centralised health database has little to do with our health and everything to do with government and corporate abuse of our most confidential data.

:tif:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

No, no, we're can't look into this, people might be rorting the NDIS for dollars!

Call me suspicious but could the NDIS rorting thing be an excuse for watering it down to the satisfaction of health funds (which I forgot about in the MHR post) and insurers? Surely not! Why would you water down legislation you passed if...oh of course. The revolving door.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There is so much problematic, it's hard to know where to start. Stockholm Syndrome? Selective memory about the IPA (yes 3 times this year, how about the last 3 years)? Crying about Rowan Dean who was practically a weekly regular until he hosed off to Sky? So worried is Baird about not getting enough conservative "balance", that it must be Twitter's fault, it is the children who are wrong. No, Julia, this is what you get for sucking up to them for years, they will kick you when you're down and you will say thankyou. :colbert:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trent from LNP just tying himself in knots trying to make out the LNP is poor and ALP GETS MONEY FROM UNIONS.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Journalists repeating the line that the West Australian campaign was "flying under the radar"; yeah because you weren't interested.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

It’s flying under the radar because there literally isn’t a campaign, it’s a rubber stamping exercise for the two ALP candidates

Gosh really, what an insight. Do you think any of the other parties running in those electorates realized?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

The only way I can think of ONP to ALP preferences actually existing like this is some people will claim to support ONP in the regional areas in conversation to fit in with the vocal minority but actually self sabotage ONP actually pushing things to the right in a polling booth.

The current Queensland Government is getting results and as Antony Green said, Longman is basically voting the same way they did at the State Election because they have evidence already that Labor is getting results and therefore don't have the means to distrust Shorten's Platform.

Or it could just be something as simple as the ONP going completely missing and the local candidate not enthusing the electorate, because they really don't have a narrative that works against the federal ALP any more than the Qld government. As far as its base went, ONP did ok, but they have to convince everyone else and clearly couldn't.

But the message of the weekend is obviously how on the nose the LNP vote is, and how strong independents are now. Even in the Perth and Fremantle electorates we're not supposed to care about, the striking fact is not so much a reasonable ALP swing, but the massive LNP swing against (although the swing against the Greens in those seats are also a story that should be told).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I wonder where Newspoll is picking up the narrowing from. Worst state and Apex Headquarters; Victoria perhaps?

The media sure is giving Dan Andrews about as much of a hard time as Bill, probably why they keep trying this Kill Bill strategy because Demolish Dan is working for them somewhat?

Uh no it certainly isn't working. Vic Libs are still a basket case, albeit a noisy one, and Fed Libs are going to be far more focused on the dangers of Queensland from now until the election, so any big help the Vic Libs were expecting just vanished along with the by-election seats.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I dunno those Victorian elections odds have been narrowing very fast on betting websites and I only ever hear "bad things" just like you only hear "bad things" about Shorten.

I found this remark amusing, I hope that was intentional. But yes, Poll Bludger finds nothing much that's new or exciting, and we've yet to see another Newspoll since April (why the wait, we wonder?), and the more interesting question is, what is One Nation going to do with its preferences here? What stinky deals are being made right now, kept from the electorate in great fear of actual informed voting?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

They only talk about it as a means to create a false balance. LNP have lost every poll since forever and we can't find anybody who will say something nice about them, but would you look at that preferred PM poll. It's one of the few things you've got going for you if your job is to try and undermine the opposition.

Well it's not like they can talk about policy...and the popularity contest has just fizzled. It's the same with Vic Libs, they've tried their hardest to stick Dandrews with something and their own Guy is running on Laura Norder after being lunched by a mafioso.

I think the disinterest by the MSM about what's going on Green is an advantage, given every time they have noticed them it was to regurgitate advisors PR sallies against them. Good. Let them ignore the Greens, the results will confuse them again. But somehow, I think the Libs might need to sing the 'ALP and Greens In Bed' tune again soon because they really have nothing else to say until next year.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Except there's absolutely nothing to corroborate it, the ALP have consistently voted with the coalition on subjects like asylum seeker welfare, creepy surveillance state stuff, basically all of the poo poo the Greens actually take a stand on (because nobody else does).

They're going to try to rehash 2013 talking points, and it's going to make them seem even more out of touch and irrelevant.

Yeah it solves nothing, the people who want to believe it are already the base, everyone else will just roll their eyes and ignore it.

edit:

froglet posted:

I dunno, I feel like the mainstream media often does the greens a disservice by trivialising them and writing them off as crazy hippies when really we have more in common with the average punter than the knobs in the Liberal party.

They certainly trivialized the West Australian by-elections. I saw that there was a first preferences swing against the Greens in Fremantle, any explanation given as to why? Perth looks more encouraging though.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 30, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kafka Syrup posted:

Speak of the devil (Denis Napthine):

OH NO LEFTYS MIGHT GANG UP ON US

QED, and I like to think of the hilarity should the Libs "win" and be forced to confront the same possibility, but wheel good old Denis out some more, people might remember what a loving puddle the Libs are and watch the swing increase in the electorates that matter. Such scaremongering has failed repeatedly, but like the definition of madness, Napthine hopes this time it will work, you'll see!!.

None of this solves their problems outside of Melbourne, just saying.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

Cynical/depressing answer: the Greens candidate for Freo was an Aboriginal woman (Dorinda Cox) and West Australians aren't exactly known for their acceptance of women or aboriginal people.

I hope her preferences didn't go to the ALP (of course they did) :( And this goes completely unreported in the national media, because why would they, it's just business as usual.

Beetphyxious posted:

OK we will keep with the current strategy of waiting for all the baby boomers to die.

Good chat.

We don't do ideas here. We do strength through suffering.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question: if not the ALP, where should they have gone?

I don't know; perhaps they should sell their preferences more dearly though. ALP benefit doubly by throwing rocks at them publicly and doing deals in the back room, don't imagine the electorate can't see that. If you listened to the current Buzzfeed political podcast, the narrative from the big parties is, don't cozy up to them, they'll steal your primary vote, and that's absolutely true because they're supposed to.

They're supposed to lose their primary vote to other parties if they keep playing this business as usual bullshit and neither major party so far has been willing to face that honestly. That too, riles the electorate who feel ignored.

I feel as long as the Greens play this game the way the ALP wants, they'll get nowhere. If they're forced to give their preferences somewhere, give it to the least likely to win, or perhaps do a preference sharing deal among minor parties so the message finally gets through to the majors: no preferences for you today.

Of course this is merely frustration with the current state of affairs, I don't think the Greens are up to playing hardball, its my biggest gripe with them.

Beetphyxious posted:

You would stop being involved with the greens if their policies remained, but they rebranded? I don't believe that, it makes absolutely no sense outside of sports team politics.

I wish you would rebrand your posting.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 30, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I agree that it's not fair that the ALP get to slander us with impunity and still get our preferences; but the alternative is to risk them filtering through to the libs, or some kind of pro-rape brony party. Or worse, the Libdems. Ugh.

That's the Stockholm syndrome speaking. You can't prove what was never tested. We already know where the road ends, remember the Democrats. If the Greens want to avoid that, they'll have to get creative, and that's the problem I'm having with them. I don't see the creativity. It's not enough to complain that the bad guys get all the good issues like the devil gets the best music.

If changing Greens preferences changes the primary vote, guess what? They weren't really Greens voters, just voters looking for an alternative to the ALP. And that's not enough to sustain a party, you may as well stay in the "other" column. I think the electorate is shifting away from the majors permanently, but the majors can still play divide and conquer if a minor party retains the mindset of being an "alternative". I'm not saying there's a sure-fire solution to all this, because probably it's really down to what the electorate thinks on an election-by-election basis, but I do know that a good chunk of support is just disaffected Labor voters and they have to find a way of turning that into real Greens voters.

edit: I see Whitlam and I are in furious agreement.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kafka Syrup posted:

But this is what the Greens strategy has been since 2013..? Building up at subnational levels, slowly trying to secure local council majorities or coalitions and working up to state-level coalitions. Building the Greens as a distinct political force with it's own management style. As much as I hate the idea of the Greens having Ministries any time soon, demostrating a distinct Ministerial style and relationship with the "machinery of government" might embed the party in the electorate in ways other third parties in Australia haven't been.

I don't think the electorate sees it that way, that's the problem. With councils, the majors at state level get to dump all the thorny problems on them and plays that up as failures at election time. In my electorate for example, the parties see council as the dumping ground for its has-beens and no-loving-ways. I'm not disparaging local government: it's valuable political experience for the party but for the actual politician, it rarely translates upwards, at least not around here.

And the fact is, the general electorate don't really care how parties organize themselves. It's been one of those perennial stupidities for me that every party seems to think telling the electorate how they're organized is a win vs other parties, it's not. No one believes a word of the Liberals "broad church" or "no factions", no one doubts the caucus makes the captains calls in Labor, no one cares how democratic the Greens are internally except other Greens and the occasional idiot Labor politician who thinks they score a point by whining about it to a bored Canberra journo who's only there for the couple of paras to put the cycle to bed for the day.

So for the Greens to sell themselves on the basis of their internal organization just wastes valuable time the electorates attention. If the journos can be bothered listening to the shadow Green for whatever, and you know they can't.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kafka Syrup posted:

The comeback to that though is, generally, the electorate doesn't pay attention to politics at all. A huge proportion of the electorate would struggle to identify any political issue in the media. Heck I've doorknocked people who still think Howard's PM. There's so much political journalism and so little political engagement, that the usual punter will have the most surface level understanding of what's going on, and make a decision on who to vote for based on a mixture of preconceptions, their material reality, whatever opinion mouthpieces they do listen to (whether that's in the media or in the meatspace), and the feeling of backing a winning horse.

It's not just internal party poo poo that doesn't get noticed, it's policies and politics. There just isn't space for it in most people's heads.

True enough, and they're not exactly keen to educate the electorate either. But that's dangerous, it's why the ON's and LDP's of the world get traction: from people who don't understand the process and just want to lash out. If you want to see the future, it's probably the political process that led to Brexit.

quote:

(and the local council point is true - which is why I'm pro council amalgamations and professionalisation. Say what you like about Brisbane City Council, having a salary, full-time position and staff reduces corruption and improves quality of councilllors).

BCC is very, very different to most councils, and amalgamation is an uncertain path to the goal you imagine it achieves. BCC amalgamated in 1925 at a fraction of the size of the city even when I still lived there in the 80's. It will be more difficult, expensive and take a long long time to match that institutional knowledge for a council today. It's no quick fix. More professionalism, yes, Bendigo Council has paid staff, full-time positions too: it's still a dumping-ground for the parties and even the fringe parties. You can't invent a new culture, is what I'm getting at. State governments rarely care about this kind of thing unless there's a bottom line or a political point to score, and I have a dim memory of Kennett doing precisely that years ago.

quote:

And what would they rebrand to? Leftist parties do equally poorly (often worse) in other, more proportionate systems, and noone likes centrist technocrats even when there's no competition.

All-New Greens. The Now Greens. Fresh In Our Memory Greens. Crispy Greens. My Greens. Your Greens. The Go Greens. Future Of The Left Greens. Hot Greens. Individual Flood-Preventer Greens.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I was wondering what good history books on Australia I should find to read in my spare time. Biographies?

Look up Whitewash 2003 by various authors, collected by Robert Manne. Essentially an answer back to and a criticism of Keith Windschuttle's The Fabrication of Aboriginal History, Volume One, you learn a lot of Australian history in the course of explaining why he's so completely and utterly wrong. Perhaps that's why we haven't seen Volume 2, but he did go on to publish Volume 3 and claimed we'd see vol 2 and 4 back in 2010 but so far nothing's come of it. That aside, look out for Australia's Birthstain 2008, Babette Smith who also wrote A Cargo Of Women, both great social history books on convict-era Australia and the weird squeamishness we used to have about our ancestry.

edit: i legit did not save this before all the hilarious KW suggestions.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

yeah I said he was poo poo, sorry you can’t read

after the debate I called him out at he told a bunch of private school kids that “we don’t know what happened to all the missing indigenous people, maybe aliens took them”

The real tragedy of Whitewash is that he's really more incompetent than an arsehole, not a lot more but there's a small gap. He wouldn't pass high school history much less pass an actual academic standard.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

I think it’s a mix, his whole approach was trying to undermine a few footnotes in other people’s work without offering anything approaching a coherent alternative theory.

it’s basically sea-lioning

It's a lot of work for just sea-lioning, I think he has more invested in it than that. It's a performance with the intention to impress right-wingers and provide a home-grown racial theory to feel oppressed with. Except Bolt does it better and doesn't bother with academic papers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just lol if they think the CormannBot is a future PM. Cartoonists will be able to afford to put their kids through university if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

Can't you also be Jewish if, y'know, you want to be Jewish? You don't have to have a lineage?

There's no law against converting to anything lol.

• Locked thread