Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I always thought I was about to have a schizoid embolism when SHY was on because it was like being mentally assaulted by every single student politics lecture invader at once.

Permabanned poster Greensstomper here,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

The ANUS, huh

the system the ANU uses to manage enrolments, fees, records, transcripts etc. is called ISIS

they have bad luck with acronyms

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kommando posted:

Wait. My wage is plus super, not including super.

Superannuation payments are in lieu of your full wage, not in addition to it. The theory of super is that it's money you're owed for your work but instead of being included in your wages it is instead put in a special account on your behalf and given favourable tax settings. If superannuation was abolished tomorrow, theoretically employers would add their super contributions to your wage (that wouldn't happen of course but that's the basis of the system).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

RIP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Splits!!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Before Times posted:

albo's deliberately trying to shift the overton window IMO

He’s starting early on building the case that he’s a Sensible, Pragmatic leader that will make the Hard Decisions (torturing refugees, failing to do anything about climate change). I doubt he’d be so stupid as to force a challenge against Shorten. The most sensible approach would be to wait until after the election, but i could see him challenging if the by-elections are disastrous. Another classic no-win situation the ALP have found themselves in

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Convicting someone of contempt for showing contempt towards the court by not standing up is good, adding the new law forcing judges and punishments over the top because a Muslim convicted of murder wasn't also charged with contempt just to rub it in is bad.

This is an extremely bizarre take, to me

You agree with the letter, intent and outcome of the law but dislike it because as far as I can tell you want it to be even more arbitrarily applied and entirely dependant on the relative biases of the judge involved

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The issue isn’t the severity of the punishment, but that not standing is a crime in the first place. My understanding is that mandatory minimums remove judicial discretion in sentencing, not in whether a person is brought to trial in the first place.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I really wish Abbott would say upfront that we need America to defend us against the Chinese and lay out his explanation for why they would invade as opposed to maintaining the status quo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm not sure that the Chinese are benign, but the Vietnamese have never lost a war thanks to being ballers so they're our best defence.

They’re an autocratic superpower so they’re obviously not benign but what would they gain out of declaring war on Australia? There are a staggering number of downsides and the only tangible benefit I can see - if they successfully invade which is no sure bet - would be cheaper access to our primary resources, noting that demand for resources like iron in China is trending down.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

Guess there's nothing creepy or off about it, nothing to look into here, yass kween

How do you know that Lee Lin Chin doesn’t have ultimate approval of what gets tweeted under her account?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tearing up as I suddenly realise the extent and severity of exploitation experienced by the famous, multi-millionaire celebrity. I must protect her, even if she doesn’t want me to

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

That's basically the experience anyone's gonna have with a big 4 consulting company, if you're a subject matter expert or at all invested in the organisation you work for. They come in, say what you've been saying for years, walk away with a few million dollars, and then your boss ignores it anyway.

You forget that they also put it in a really slickly presented paper, with graphs and infographics. Senior execs do be loving charts.

The secret to promotion in the public sector is basic competence with visio.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yes, that dastardly Scott Ludlam who wrote the constitution

I don’t read that image as laying blame on Ludlam :shrug:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Does anyone know what the feeling is on the ground in Longman and Braddon? Because I have a feeling Labor is going to lose both, freak out, do something stupid like roll Shorten and lose the next election.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I dunno, I feel very disenfranchised because it feels like if/when the ALP loses one of these by-elections the MSM is going to go full AUSTRALIA NEEDS MALCOLM causing Albo to be instated and trapped in the same fate as Turnbull was. A left-ish Prime Minister installed by right wing forces to do their bidding and to surrender the ideology that made them so popular in the first place.

this is way too generous a reading of both Turnbull and Albanese

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The APS is very into “evidence-based policy” which means collecting more numbers from more sources that can subsequently be manipulated in such a way to present obvious policy failures as successes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

froglet posted:

Also I do worry about that Southern woman's safety.

Yeah it’d suck if the neo-nazi got night of the long knivesed

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

Is Albo even any better than Bill though? Like they are both closer to the career politician ideal, and both likely to sell out the left-wing ideals when expedient (e.g., Albo and business)?

No but he has a better public perception which is all that matters really

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The only reasons Shorten is still opposition leader are 1) institutional support from the Labor machine (in particular the right faction) and 2) fear of reigniting Labor Chaos attacks.

I don’t have any insider info but it’s fairly transparent that Albo’s stop the boats statement was intended to make him palatable to the Labor right. Additionally, I’m assuming the calculation is that if Labor loses the byelections, getting rid of a toxic leader will be worth the attack ads.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

He’s a toxic leader because nobody likes him and nobody has ever liked him. He’s the quintessential labor machine candidate, in much the same way Clinton was the quintessential democrat machine candidate. That doesn’t necessarily mean either are bad people or have done something in particular wrong (though they are both bad people with bad politics), that’s just the reality of the situation, and failing to acknowledge and reckon with that because Newscorp has exacerbated the situation is dangerous.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I voted for liberals twice recently despite being a life long labour voter to try to make sure we stop letting people into this country that dont bring something positive, that skilled migration would drop and the unemployment seen in former industrial cities would be helped

I pay my taxes, im not on welfare, proud to be australian

But my girlfriend is from asia.. Marriage Visa costs are now 7000+ with the possibility of being rejected on numbers alone - no chance of a refund if it happens and the noose tightening everyday on the hopes and dreams of those like myself

Meanwhile the very reason I voted for these lot is unchanged.. Never again

Theyve turned a real issue that we all needed to act on as a nation into political fearmongering and fixed nothing

A lot going on here

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“Full Corbyn”, in this case, meaning pushing the LNP into minority government but still holding on to power?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There’s already a class war and the bourgeoise wins it every day and if you think Shorten could reverse its fortunes I have several bridges I would like to sell

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Yeah but if he goes to an election again with this vanilla jobs and growth speech he will get trashed.

What reason do you have to believe this

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^ I thought retrospective legislation was illegal?

Maybe but who cares

Keep in mind the original legislation that has just been found to be illegal has been in effect for 16 years

By the time this new piece of legislation is successfully challenged it’ll be 2034, and they’ll pass another piece of legislation to fix it then

When you’re in parliament you can do whatever the gently caress you want; the notion of checks and balances between executive, legislature and judiciary is a joke

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith has announced he is closing his line of Australian-made groceries, Dick Smith Foods, blaming competition by the Aldi supermarket chain, which he says has made it impossible for his brands to continue selling enough to maintain its presence on supermarket shelves.

capitalist cries on discovering other capitalists are better at capitalism than he

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

I literally cannot think of a single Dick Smith's food product that was actually better than other commercially available products and maybe that's why your business is dying hth

They’re all better than other commercially available products at making Dick Smith money, you idiot, you imbecile

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Journalists repeating the line that the West Australian campaign was "flying under the radar"; yeah because you weren't interested.

It’s flying under the radar because there literally isn’t a campaign, it’s a rubber stamping exercise for the two ALP candidates

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well I called the elections completely wrong. Well done mr Shorten :unsmith:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Gosh really, what an insight. Do you think any of the other parties running in those electorates realized?

If they didn’t then they’re deluded

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's fairly commonplace for the far right to identify the correct symptoms (eg chronic underemployment, wage stagnation, unaffordable housing) but then completely gently caress up identifying the cause (eg immigrants instead of capitalism). Centrists on the other hand gently caress up identifying both symptoms and cause, but at least they don't incite pogroms.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

The only way I can think of ONP to ALP preferences actually existing like this is some people will claim to support ONP in the regional areas in conversation to fit in with the vocal minority but actually self sabotage ONP actually pushing things to the right in a polling booth.

ONP -> ALP happens because a lot of working class people are racist.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Is it conceivable that the staffer that tipped off the media could go to prison for this? Do we have any idea what the charges could be?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I thought it was an accidental breach by some bumbling moron cop but actually it was an intentional breach by a straight up psychotic cop.

very cool poo poo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Beetphyxious posted:

So they can repositions and fail, but don't think about rebranding that won't work because...

Do you actually believe a rebranding would accomplish anything

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Honest question beet: if the greens rebranded, how many votes do you think they’d gain

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bombshell revelation that progressive pressure group recommends against voting LNP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lol at Bolt decrying identity politics while literally decrying the solution of the white Australian identity. Words have no meaning any more, 1984 is now, idiocracy was a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

e: I don't get it, China's doing stuff that mightn't be in the interest of other countries, so we're going to make sure our private for-profit companies get a piece of the pie by having the government accept the risk, is that the deal

the deal is we're getting into a bidding war with China over who builds undersea cables across the Pacific and we're definitely going to win

• Locked thread