Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/al-shabaab-plastic-bag-ban/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tony Abbott has urged Malcolm Turnbull to follow Donald Trump's lead and ditch the commitments made under the Paris climate agreements, signed by Mr Abbott himself when he was prime minister.

The former PM now says he never anticipated the climate change reduction targets he signed up would be binding.But he was immediately repudiated by one of his supporters - junior minister Angus Taylor - who said Australia would honour its international agreements.

Delivering the 2018 Bob Carter Commemorative Lecture in Melbourne, Mr Abbott said he had never thought reducing greenhouse gas emissions was worth doing, unless it could be done at a modest cost.

He said despite the rate of carbon in the atmosphere increasing from 300 to 400 parts per million there had been no "dramatic consequences" on the climate.

"Storms are not more severe; droughts are not more prolonged; floods are not greater; and fires are not more intense than a century ago – despite  hyperventilating reportage and over-the-top claims from Green politicians," the former prime minister said.

"Sea levels have hardly risen and temperatures are still below those of the medieval warm period.

"Over time, temperature change seems to correlate rather more with sun spot activity than with carbon dioxide levels," he claimed.
This autumn was Australia's fourth-hottest in more than a century of data according to the Bureau of Meteorology.

But Mr Abbott said the public was" inclined to believe that something is happening" "and that "something needs to be done" because they are "egged on by media scare stories and attention-seeking academics".

"But our children won’t thank us when their power bills keep soaring and their jobs keep going offshore in a futile bid to make the world imperceptibly cooler," he said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Stop fighting climate change, for the children.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Senator David Leyonhjelm has said he tells people they're "bastards" or "bitches" irrespective of gender, denying he targets women.
The Liberal Democrats politician has been roundly condemned for sexual taunts aimed at Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.
He has previously used offensive language towards Tony Abbott's former chief of staff Peta Credlin and Network Ten journalist Angela Bishop.
But Senator Leyonhjelm denied it was "sexist abuse".
"It's just abuse," he told RN Breakfast.

"It is a normal Australian behaviour.

"I am a normal Australian, I am elected by normal Australians, normal Australians call people bitches, bastards, shut up, various things of that nature.
"I don't discriminate between men and women."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
im a normal australian

i tell the poofters to stop being such fags

i tell the wogs to stop greasing up my neighbourhood

and the kikes, boy the loving kikes

so yes i am an entirely reasonable man and i should not have to apologise, thank you for listening to me - libertarianism ayn rand forever

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Scientologist indie "comedian" Andy Nolch is the one that drew a dick on Eurydice's memorial site.

P sure I posted this itt at the time

this is autisms fault

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who do adelaideians hate

Aside from obv ourselves

port power

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ayers Rock

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Australia has strengthened its “no jab, no pay” policy by issuing further financial sanctions to parents who refuse to vaccinate their children.

Parents will now lose A$28 (£16) a fortnight from their tax benefits for each child not up to date with their immunisations.

Previously, parents whose children were not up to date with vaccinations would lose an end of year payment to their family tax benefit, worth A$737.

The new fortnightly sanction will see parents lose out on roughly the same amount but is said to serve as a more “constant reminder”. Those earning over A$80 a day will also have further penalties imposed.

The move is part of an ongoing clampdown by the Australian government on the “anti-vaxxer” movement after the percentage of children under seven with a “conscientious objection” to immunisation rose from 0.23 per cent in December 1999 to 1.77 per cent in December 2014, according to Australia’s parliament.

Minister for Social Services Dan Tehan said the clampdown was necessary to protect public health.

“Immunisation is the safest way to protect children from vaccine-preventable diseases,” he said in a statement, news.com.au reported. “Parents who don’t immunise their children are putting their own kids at risk as well as the children of other people.”

It comes as a leading medical journal in the UK found measles “remains a threat” to the British public after 643 cases were recorded up to 18 June this year, up from 274 cases in the whole of 2017.

good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A self-described independent Scientologist and former comedian said he painted lewd graffiti on the Eurydice Dixon memorial to attack feminism and promote his anti-vaccination message.

Ms Dixon, herself an emerging comedian, was killed as she walked home through the Carlton North park from a gig in the city on June 13.
Just days after her death, police officers doing routine patrols of the area found the markings on the soccer pitch where her body was found, which had been transformed into a memorial site.

Andrew Nolch said he was guilty and he planned on getting caught.

“I was upset, and I want to make this clear, this was not a personal attack at all...this was purely an attack on feminism, on mainstream media for hijacking a vaccine-causing issue and turning it into a men are bad, women’s rights issue,” he told The Age.

Mr Nolch repeatedly cited the discredited theory that vaccines caused autism.

He said it was worth causing hurt in order to get his message across. He also said that he had no diagnosed mental illness.

Dear Australia, I am a sane person who paints dicks on memorials to murder victims to protest feminism.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Try to explain to Libertarians the Veil of Ignorance and watch as they assume in the scenario they are Donald Trump.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GoldStandardConure posted:

Going to assume he is one of those Freezone types eg: the teachings of Hubbard are correct, but you shouldn't charge people for it.

Scientology Lutherans

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Getting sued for defamation to own the libs.

I'm willing to bet he got some incorrect advice that his speech is protected as political free speech.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also freedom of speech and defamation law coexist, freedom of speech doesnt mean defamation isnt possible or faulty with the law.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/JMasanauskas/status/1015535176259022848?s=19

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So long Neil Perry

https://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace/rampant-exploitation-at-rockpool-restaurant-empire-20180706-p4zpvc.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ha ha you think there'll be consequences for this

They're already almost bankrupt, excessive expansion with no infrastructure, so this is going to send him broke :)

edit: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/small-business/how-private-equity-swallowed-rockpool-20180426-p4zbvv.html from a few months back

Lid fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 8, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Four Corners tomorrow night is about horse racing, how dodgy is this industry?

Remember how Greyhounds is hosed? Imagine that except for white collar upper class people who want to pretend that they're as pure as white cocaine. The bodies are stacked high.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Whitlam posted:

I look forward to the inevitable 7 page flame war about what the best flavour for peace ice cream is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
7 30 re port

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-11/fortnite-is-addiction-really-a-thing/9981528

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Donald Trump is right to argue America's traditional allies, including Australia, have been "freeloading" off the US for too long, former prime minister Tony Abbott has said in a speech favourably comparing Trump to his "moralising" predecessor Barack Obama.

In an address to the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank on Wednesday, Abbott praised Trump's approach on climate change, foreign policy and immigration - including his promise to build a wall on the Mexican border, which he said could mirror Australia's successful efforts to stop asylum seeker boats from reaching the country.

But Abbott said Trump's isolationist tendencies and the rise of China mean Australia must become more self-reliant and dramatically increase its military spending in case the country is attacked by a hostile neighbour.

Abbott's speech coincided with Trump's visit to Europe in which he has berated America's NATO allies for failing to spend enough on defence and accused Germany of being "captive" to Russia.

"If America spends three per cent plus of the world's biggest GDP on its own forces, and the rest of the western world scarcely two per cent, it's hard to dispute Trump's view that most of us have been keeping safe on the cheap," Abbott said.

"It's little wonder that he's tired of so-called allies who give sermons from the sidelines while America keeps them safe. The truth is that the rest of the world needs America more than America needs us."

Abbott said the Australian government will have to increase military spending above the current level of 2 per cent of gross domestic product, expand its Navy and Air Force, and be prepared to shoot down missiles from adversaries such as North Korea in coming years.

"America can't be expected to fight harder for its Australian ally than we would be prepared to fight for ourselves or to do more for Australia than we would already do for ourselves," he said.

"Our armed forces need to be more capable of operating independently, even against a substantial adversary, because that is what a truly sovereign nation must be prepared to do.

"What Trump is making clear to us and to others is what should always have been screamingly obvious: that our nation's safety now rests in our own hands far more than anyone else's."

Abbott said the Turnbull government should have followed Trump's lead by moving the Australian embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, conducting freedom-of-navigation exercises in the South China Sea and taking a more active military involvement in the Middle East.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

1 11
11 1_

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

getting listeria to own the lefties

It's usually lefties doing it though. That stupid part of it that believes in the perfection of nature and the EVILS of CHEMICALS.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/hanson-young-s-lawsuit-could-set-back-the-cause-of-women-everywhere-20180713-p4zrar.html

What

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The teenager accused of murdering a mother and her two children was at a public hospital in Midland hours before their deaths, according to sources.

Teancum Vernon Petersen-Crofts, 19, presented at St John of God Midland public hospital emergency department in a "psychotic state" on Saturday evening, but was reportedly turned away after police became involved.

WAtoday understands Mr Petersen-Crofts was behaving erratically, but his condition was not considered to be a “medical problem”.

A source said he was taken to the Brixton Crescent home just hours before three family members were found dead on Sunday morning.

Spokeswomen from both St John of God Midland Public Hospital and the East Metropolitan Health Service said they could not comment and referred questions to police media.

She said the man accused of the alleged murders at the public housing authority home suffered from mental health issues and had trouble accessing treatment.

"He's got mental issues and but there's a such a long wait on the public health system," the neighbour said.

A former schoolmate of Mr Petersen-Crofts said his friend had been “a little shy”.

“He was into his animes like Dragonball Z,” the friend said.

“He sometimes had anger issues, but he was almost always a nice guy.

“He was definitely weird, but nothing I would’ve thought would lead to this.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described US President Donald Trump as “a patriot” while disagreeing with Mr Trump’s refusal to accept his own spy chiefs’ finding that Russia meddled in the presidential election.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A federal Liberal MP has stunned his colleagues by arguing that Russian crimes should be “slightly looked over” despite a bitter rebuke to Russian president Vladimir Putin from an Australian father whose three children died in the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17.

Liberal backbencher Craig Kelly triggered outrage by declaring that “nothing that happens” could bring back the 298 victims of the missile attack on the passenger airline over Ukraine four years ago and it was best to focus on improving relations with Russia.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Australia’s richest person, mining magnate Gina Rinehart, has been revealed as a key funder of the right wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a major pusher of climate science denial.
Rinehart’s company, Hancock Prospecting Proprietary Ltd (HPPL), donated $2.3m to the IPA in 2016 and $2.2m in 2017, according to disclosures made to the New South Wales Supreme Court.
As part of a long-running legal dispute over the use of company funds, Gina Rinehart’s daughter Bianca had served a subpoena to access documents that would have shed light on the two donations from HPPL to the IPA.
The IPA is an influential right wing think tank with close ties to Australia’s governing Liberal Party.  IPA fellows regularly appear in the media. The payments suggest that more than a third of the IPA’s income in 2016 and 2017 was from HPPL – majority-owned privately by Gina Rinehart.

DESMOG

CLEARING THE PR POLLUTION THAT CLOUDS CLIMATE SCIENCE

Billionaire Mining Magnate Gina Rinehart Revealed As Key Donor to Australian Climate Science Denial Promoter Institute of Public Affairs

Read time: 5 mins
Graham Readfearn | July 17, 2018

Australia’s richest person, mining magnate Gina Rinehart, has been revealed as a key funder of the right wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a major pusher of climate science denial.
Rinehart’s company, Hancock Prospecting Proprietary Ltd (HPPL), donated $2.3m to the IPA in 2016 and $2.2m in 2017, according to disclosures made to the New South Wales Supreme Court.
As part of a long-running legal dispute over the use of company funds, Gina Rinehart’s daughter Bianca had served a subpoena to access documents that would have shed light on the two donations from HPPL to the IPA.
The IPA is an influential right wing think tank with close ties to Australia’s governing Liberal Party.  IPA fellows regularly appear in the media. The payments suggest that more than a third of the IPA’s income in 2016 and 2017 was from HPPL – majority-owned privately by Gina Rinehart.
According to Forbes, Rinehart was the seventh richest woman in the world in 2017 and Australia’s richest person, with current wealth estimated to be $17.6 billion.
The IPA is a registered charity but is not legally required to disclose its funders and has declined to reveal them in recent years, citing concerns that donors could be “intimidated”.
According to the court judgement, Bianca’s solicitors had been provided with a schedule of “donations and sponsorships” from HPPL where it was disclosed, the judgement said, “that HPPLpaid or provided amounts to IPA in a total of $2.3 million for the 2016 financial year and $2.2 million in the 2017 financial year.”
The donations also raise questions about the way the IPA has disclosed the nature of its revenues. 
The IPA's 2017 annual report declared $6.1m of income but said that “86 per cent” had come from individuals. HPPL’s $2.2m donation constituted more than a third of the IPA’s income that year.
In 2016, the IPA reported that 91 per cent of donations were from individuals, but that year HPPL’s $2.3m donation constituted almost half the IPA's income of $4.96m that year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Wheezle posted:

They’re trying so hard.

They are, but its being replicated across allo news places including SBS and ABC - the reports are Shorten is losing and for the first time in two years the coalition is on the rise. Ignore this at your own peril.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

norp posted:

But the polls haven't moved at all in like a year

They moved today

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-narrows-gap-but-labor-keeps-slim-lead-in-fairfax-ipsos-poll-20180722-p4zsyw.html

Coalition's still behind but Shorten's going backwards and Turnbull's going forwards in areas where Labor should dominate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Murdoch papers are quite happy call people on disability benefits welfare cheats and bludgers.

And now they're Lebanese fat kids

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Before Times posted:

What do you mean you've got crippling PTSD and can't leave the house? You should obviously be able to do 40 hours work per week.

https://m.facebook.com/TimKennedyMMA/posts/1078650138838938:0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
News Corp

WE can barely turn on the TV or flick through a newspaper these days without hearing about Australia’s housing affordability crisis.

But apparently, there’s actually no such thing.
That’s according to property expert and The Freedom Formula author Bushy Martin, who is convinced the only issue is with our own “entitled expectations”.

He said as a nation we were asking the wrong questions and treating the “symptoms rather than the cause”.
“Everyone goes on about the affordability crisis and there’s no doubt about it — if you want to buy property in Sydney or Melbourne’s inner ring, that’s going to be unaffordable for most people,” he told news.com.au.
“But it’s more of an accessibility and expectations issue than an affordability issue.
“It’s a dynamic multifaceted issue where isolated reactive and ill conceived interventions for the few are likely to have unknown and unintended far reaching consequences for the many.
“So do we really have a housing affordability issue? Yeah, nah.”
Mr Martin said first home buyers represented just one in seven property purchasers — and that as a country, we shouldn’t change the entire system for the “politically correct squeaky wheel minority”.
“Should we be turning housing policy on its head to cater for the few by meddling with the market that could potentially have significant impacts on the many?” he asked.
“Or should the few learn to suck it up, grow some b*lls, lower their short term expectations, start saving and become rentvestors or learn to live with a bit less for a little while to get started?”
Mr Martin insisted while we did have a problem in highly sought after areas, it was not happening across the board.
“We live in the best country in the world and the best locations come at a price because everyone wants to live there,” he said.
“So the issue in these lifestyle meccas for first home buyers is the savings deposit hurdle.
“But this belies the real underlying issue — our entitled expectations.”
He said most people were missing a “massive opportunity” by believing they had to own the home they lived in.

And he said our “instant iPhone everything world” was at least partly to blame, with people expecting to get everything they wanted immediately without putting in the hard yards.
But Mr Martin pointed to his own experience as an example of how to buck the trend.
He and his wife Sonya both started with nothing following previous relationship breakdowns before amassing an international portfolio of 12 properties together.
They achieved it by rentvesting — or investing in affordable properties outside of where they actually wanted to live, and then renting in their chosen location.
“We recognised pretty early on that having a mortgage and putting a dirty great noose around our necks and living on dog food and baked beans for 30 years probably wasn’t the way to get ahead,” he said.
“We made a conscious decision to rent in the location of our choice at a fraction of what we’d have paid in a mortgage, and we started putting all our energy into investing our income into assets — we bought property in affordable, fringe areas on the outskirts of Adelaide.”
He said it all came down to a question of “lifestyle versus loanstyle”.
“If we want the dream home in the dream location now, we need to compromise on lifestyle,” he explained.
“Or you can choose to enjoy a better lifestyle now by securing a lesser starter home further away.”
He said many Aussies needed to learn to “separate access from ownership” and realise we don’t necessarily have to own the best house in the best suburb in order to be “living the dream”.
Mr Martin stressed that while he was qualified to talk about property and finance, he was not a financial planner or accountant, and that people should talk to professionals before making major financial decisions to make sure it suits their risk profile.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://realestatetalk.com.au/property-investment-strategy-bushy-martin/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
All African immigration into Australia has been called into question by former prime minister Tony Abbott amid the debate over Sudanese "gangs" in Melbourne.

Mr Abbott, speaking on 2GB radio in Sydney, argued that "we store up trouble for ourselves" by letting in people who are "difficult to integrate".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Don Dongington posted:

So on a scale from 1 to Turbofucked, how hosed are we

"Hugh Marks of Nine will be the new chief executive and former Liberal treasurer Peter Costello will chair the company."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

EoinCannon posted:

They're not falling! According to Domain it's a "correction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPXK-FfnXxU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
nimby sophies choice

The Berejiklian government says it faced the difficult choice of compulsorily acquiring more homes or swallowing up golf courses to build a 14-kilometre tunnel linking the northern beaches to the city's inner west.

In justifying the decision to turn Balgowlah's golf course into a construction site, Roads Minister Melinda Pavey said it “essentially came down” to bulldozing more homes or taking the golf course for the $14 billion project.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Drum beating The Drum

https://www.smh.com.au/national/shouting-down-your-opponents-just-cements-the-silos-20180727-p4zu1a.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the Liberals are shifting the goalposts back to minimise the significance of tonight's results.

"The test for the government was whether people were out with bats to give the government a real kick," Liberal MP Trent Zimmerman said on the ABC, arguing voters were not out with brickbats.

Christopher Pyne also made the point there was no overall swing to Labor in Braddon - in fact there may be a small swing to the government - which bucks the usual trend in byelections.

• Locked thread