Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Taking this and posting it in TGRS because I want people from all over the world to see it and laugh.

Sorry what is tgrs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Sorry what is tgrs?

D&D subforum The Great Race Space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

$10 says these guys ask for the original lyrics when singing Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Senor Tron posted:

$10 says these guys ask for the original lyrics when singing Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

That song was always terrible.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Headline this evening upgraded to it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gotta wonder how many death threats from male shitheads Lionhat gets when he fucks up. Bet it's far fewer than she's copping (and I doubt she's getting many death threats from women vs men).

She abused her position, she doesn't deserve threats and neither do her family.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

She made a bloke do the dishes that's a hate crime. It's terrorism

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A secretive development arm of Ipswich City Council broke corporate laws, cut questionable property deals and inappropriately donated $10,000 to an elite school attended by the children of three of its directors, according to state government auditors.

Ipswich City Properties (ICP) also struck a poorly conceived deal with a developer that would have left ratepayers up to $29 million worse off by leasing, not owning, new council headquarters, a confidential report found.

The revelations, tabled in Parliament on Monday by Local Government Minister Stirling Hinchliffe, came after the ABC last month obtained expert analysis showing the council-owned company had lost ratepayers at least $83 million.

Mr Hinchliffe seized on evidence of "questionable transactions and dud deals that have saddled Ipswich ratepayers with some massive costs" to back his moves to sack a council rocked by separate corruption allegations.

"Ipswich City Properties incurred losses of up to $50 million — all ratepayers' funds — on an Ipswich CBD redevelopment that never eventuated," Mr Hinchliffe said.

ICP, the largest of five council-owned companies examined in damning reports by corporate firm McGrath Nicol, was set up nine years ago to drive a $150 million facelift of the Ipswich city centre which is yet to materialise.

Elite school given $10k
One report revealed the Queensland Audit Office in December reported ICP to corporate watchdog the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) for breaching the Corporations Act by failing to lodge audited financial statements and prepare a directors report.

The state auditors found ratepayers may have been short-changed by ICP and the "poor outcomes" of its campaign to select a developer to build its new administration building.

The Queensland Audit Office also cited concern about the lack of "independent approval" of spending on a debit card by four officers at another entity, Ipswich City Developments, which created "potential for misappropriation of funds, fraud and consequential reputational damage".

The Council scrapped its original deal with developer EPC to build and lease a new headquarters, after McGrath Nicol in January found it held a net present cost to council of $89 million versus $60 million if it retained ownership.

McGrath Nicol recommended council pay EPC $7 million to break a contract that came at a "much higher cost" than the alternatives, even with having to pay $11 million to a new developer.

The state auditors noted ICP's $10,000 donation to Ipswich Grammar's Red and White Foundation Limited prompted declarations of conflict of interest from three directors whose children went to the school.

But the donation "does not align with ICP's objectives as specified in its constitution", it stated.

The auditors criticised ICP's failure to obtain competing quotes for purchases over $20,000 in line with its own procurement policies.

They also identified shortcomings in financial oversight that "may result in inappropriate transactions not being detected and dealt with in a timely manner".

Despite the damning audit report, the council last month claimed ICP since 2014 had "received an 'unqualified audit' which represents the accounts have been prepared accurately and on a true and fair basis".

Council's entities 'acted as a law unto themselves', Minister says
Mr Hinchliffe said the reports pointed to "multiple breaches of the Corporations Act and maybe sanctions that appropriate authorities would have to look at".

"For too long Ipswich City Council-owned entities have been acting as a law unto themselves without proper oversight and without proper transparency," he said.

"It certainly proves that there are deeper and broader issues than just those that have been the subject of the [Crime and Corruption Commission] matters that are out there in the justice system at the moment."

Councillor Paul Tully, the chairman of ICP, rejected Mr Hinchliffe's allegations.

"It might be a serious concern if it's true but … this report that he [Mr Hinchliffe] tabled is a furphy from start to finish," Cr Tully said.

He said councillors had not been provided with a copy of the McGrath Nicol report.

"I know it sounds extraordinary, but this is the way things have been working in the last 12 months," he said.

"For the Minister to say nothing has happened is completely and utterly false."

He said the council was "currently undertaking a $150 million redevelopment of the Ipswich CBD, involving the former mall area, a new library and a new administration building and whole food precinct and entertainment precinct".

"I invite the Minister on any day of his choosing to come to Ipswich to see what is actually happening," he said.

Figures from auditor-general's report
Cr Tully also said in a statement this morning stage one of Ipswich's inner-city development was finished and "valued at $93 million".

He said all of the figures stated in the Minister's report were extracted from the auditor-general's audited Financial Report 2017.

"They are public figures," Cr Tully said in the statement.

"There is a $50 million loan to ICP — $30 million of this money has bought land which Council continues to own.

"An accounting procedure sees $34 million used to write down the loan to reflect historical economic conditions and the value of undeveloped land.

"The ICON development has already netted Ipswich City Council $14 million in profit."

Speaking in Ipswich on Tuesday morning, Mr Hinchliffe confirmed he would forward the latest information to the state's corruption watchdog.

"I have spoken to the chair of the CCC about these matters and I'm also sending the reports," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"They are now publicly available documents, but I am sending the report specifically to the CCC for them to consider."

'Profound scandal' at Ipswich council
Four former ICP directors — two former mayors and two former council chief executives — face unrelated corruption charges brought by the CCC.

Former state finance minister and Ipswich MP Rachel Nolan said the reports pointed to a "profound scandal that cut to the heart of maladministration in Ipswich".

She said the ill-fated deal to lease council's new headquarters was "spectacularly more expensive than the other options" and part of an unrealised development plan that "utterly destroyed the CBD, chasing out businesses and literally knocking down the heart of the town".

"Basically this quantifies that ICC signed up to a really bad deal and then tried to pay $7 million in secret to get out of it," she told the ABC.

Griffith University's head of accounting Reza Monem told the ABC the report backed his observation that ICP was "technically bankrupt", noting four consecutive years of reported net liabilities of between $4.7 million and $33 million.

He said the cost to ratepayers was $49 million in operating losses, and a $34 million loan to ICP that council had "forgiven".

The council last month disputed Mr Monem's analysis, saying its operating losses were only $15.5 million.

It said it was of the "firm view" the 20-year project would ultimately come at no cost to taxpayers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ipswich Clown Posse

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I don’t understand paid parking at a shopping centre. Don’t they want me to shop for a long as possible? I’d probably go out my way to somewhere else that didn’t have paid parking because most places have the same stores anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I should probably opt out of the health record thing but I'm pretty sure I can never get health insurance again anyway and the idea of a shitbag insurer glancing at my file and filling their trousers in horror is funny to me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bigis posted:

I don’t understand paid parking at a shopping centre. Don’t they want me to shop for a long as possible? I’d probably go out my way to somewhere else that didn’t have paid parking because most places have the same stores anyway.

It's usually to stop/penalize staff from parking at the shopping centre, which is why (in every lot I've seen) the first three hours are free.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bigis posted:

The first three hours are free (four if you can present a cinema ticket), which is usually long enough. Dunno about anywhere else but people have being using the shopping centre at that particular centre as all-day parking while they take train into the CBD. So I can see why they're doing it...

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I should probably opt out of the health record thing but I'm pretty sure I can never get health insurance again anyway and the idea of a shitbag insurer glancing at my file and filling their trousers in horror is funny to me.

Opt out. There's room to expand it to robo debt:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/very-little-is-stopping-my-health-record-being-hooked-up-to-robo-debt/

We inadvertently created a record and although now it's cancelled it will remain on file "archive" - so who knows what access is possible to the personal information and possible identity theft - for up to 130 years. Consider the technological advances since 1890. What do you think they might be capable of extrapolating with your archived data in 100 years?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

No, no, we're can't look into this, people might be rorting the NDIS for dollars!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

G-Spot Run posted:

Opt out. There's room to expand it to robo debt:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/very-little-is-stopping-my-health-record-being-hooked-up-to-robo-debt/

We inadvertently created a record and although now it's cancelled it will remain on file "archive" - so who knows what access is possible to the personal information and possible identity theft - for up to 130 years. Consider the technological advances since 1890. What do you think they might be capable of extrapolating with your archived data in 100 years?

I hope in 130 years time they look at my health record and can extrapolate my posting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally a use for my health record

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

There's literally only one thing uploaded to my MHR and it's:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So with all the people opting out of My Health Record at what point is it considered a failure?

(i know the average Australian isn’t woke enough to even notice they are getting one so they’ll still get millions of people)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Finally a use for my health record

lmao

Just checked mine and it only has like half of my hospital stays from last year and nothing else, what a useless pile of crap. I'll can it in the morning.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

No, no, we're can't look into this, people might be rorting the NDIS for dollars!

Call me suspicious but could the NDIS rorting thing be an excuse for watering it down to the satisfaction of health funds (which I forgot about in the MHR post) and insurers? Surely not! Why would you water down legislation you passed if...oh of course. The revolving door.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Here's your weekly "at least we're not America" reminder:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

Call me suspicious but could the NDIS rorting thing be an excuse for watering it down to the satisfaction of health funds (which I forgot about in the MHR post) and insurers? Surely not! Why would you water down legislation you passed if...oh of course. The revolving door.

Yeah, the Libs love nothing more than white-anting welfare systems into irrelevance. They can't call the disabled bludgers though, so we get magical Middle Eastern crime gangs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Here's your weekly "at least we're not America" reminder:

gently caress me atleast we have unionist banter.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Source your quotes

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
My health record would be good for tracking any x-rays etc, no double ups to minimise the amount of radiation you get blasted with. Even then I think it's minimal.
Apart from that, nope.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I know I've got some able-minded privilege here but wouldn't the doctor asking the patient if they've had any xrays recently also cover that risk? I know there's clinical differences the patient may not be clear on but if you start with body part and work your way down "which doctor/practice ordered them?" to "send us copies".

I know the unconscious patient in the emergency room is the one they're spruiking but if I'm in the emergency room I suspect xrays I had done a week ago might not be the most up-to-date coverage on my situation.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 25, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-25/mortgage-prisoners-new-class-of-borrowers-and-credit-tightens/10029594

quote:

Tougher lending standards being driven by regulators and the banking royal commission are creating a legion of "mortgage prisoners", according to interest rate comparison site Mozo.
Mozo found mortgage holders who borrowed near their limit in recent years were finding it increasingly difficult to refinance their loans and were "trapped" with their current lender.
"A mortgage prisoner is a homeowner who is unable to move to a more competitive mortgage deal, even if they've met every repayment, because they would not pass new affordability tests applied by the banks," Mozo property analyst Steve Jovcevski said.
"Typically, this is because they took out the loan before stricter lending rules applied."
Mr Jovcevski said stagnant wages and falling house prices were exacerbating the problem.
"Stricter lending criteria was introduced for good reason, with skyrocketing household debt, poor income growth and historically low interest rates.
"The flow-on effect is 30 per cent of owner occupier borrowers are now finding themselves facing mortgage stress — and many are also falling into the 'mortgage prisoner' category," he said, citing research from Digital Finance Analytics.
"When a customer is essentially tied to a provider, they are at the mercy of whatever rate rise or conditions the bank chooses to impose.
"Given the current situation, banks have the power to hold some of their customers prisoner."
Seeing some results from the royal commissio- oh they're just going to keep screwing people

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

G-Spot Run posted:

I know I've got some able-minded privilege here but wouldn't the doctor asking the patient if they've had any xrays recently also cover that risk? I know there's clinical differences the patient may not be clear on but if you start with body part and work your way down "which doctor/practice ordered them?" to "send us copies".

I know the unconscious patient in the emergency room is the one they're spruiking but if I'm in the emergency room I suspect xrays I had done a week ago might not be the most up-to-date coverage on my situation.

I have to have the occasional bone density scan and I often can't remember when the last one was.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-25/mortgage-prisoners-new-class-of-borrowers-and-credit-tightens/10029594

Seeing some results from the royal commissio- oh they're just going to keep screwing people

Well at least this is going to be delivering outcomes to...

Well the providers who have the least competitive interest rates,

So I guess that's the big 4 banks... and predatory lenders who offered much more relaxed borrowing criteria?

RESULTS!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Having people with poor serviceability on uncompetitive loans seems like an unnecessary risk to the housing sector. I totally support the serviceability changes to new lending but I would support exempting or grandfathering those on ‘old’ loans approved under the old rules so they can get a better interest rate as long as they aren’t getting additional credit.

Not all of those people are dumb boomers with investment properties.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think it's kinda ridiculous that if you have a loan, which you've been paying the repayments on every month for years, that someone can tell you you can't afford it.

We tried to trade down to a cheaper property with the same lender we were with and got told we couldn't afford it.

To pay $200 a fortnight less than I was managing to pay, on my own, while my partner was waiting 6 weeks for her parental leave to come in.

Ended up going with a different lender, which cost me about 1% PA more, but it was still way cheaper, and we got a bigger block with a nicer house about 2KM up the road, and it's nice having that extra money for shopping every fortnight.

IMO If you own a home, your circumstances change and you need to shift for work, or more space, but want to pay about the same, you shouldn't have to pay stamp duty, you should be able to just transfer your mortgage, and you shouldn't have to go through 3-6 months of uncertainty. All of these requirements are dumb constructs of capitalism and need to gently caress off.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Agreed. It’s just transferring more wealth from the young/families/etc to banks and their shareholders.

The amount of risk isn’t changing if the loan is still on the books. In fact the risk may be lower if the loan is refinanced to a lower rate.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Actually now that I think about it I’m probably caught by these new lending rules.

I have a mortgage and my wife is taking a few years off to raise our young children until they are school age. When we took out the loan we agreed to only borrow what we could afford on one income knowing that we’d be having a family.

Presumably I’d no longer service the loan on my own income under the rules especially with 3 dependents (I haven’t checked). If rates go up before my kids are in school then my wife will go back to work earlier than planned. However until then I probably couldn’t refinance.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Don Dongington posted:

I think it's kinda ridiculous that if you have a loan, which you've been paying the repayments on every month for years, that someone can tell you you can't afford it.

We tried to trade down to a cheaper property with the same lender we were with and got told we couldn't afford it.

To pay $200 a fortnight less than I was managing to pay, on my own, while my partner was waiting 6 weeks for her parental leave to come in.

Ended up going with a different lender, which cost me about 1% PA more, but it was still way cheaper, and we got a bigger block with a nicer house about 2KM up the road, and it's nice having that extra money for shopping every fortnight.

IMO If you own a home, your circumstances change and you need to shift for work, or more space, but want to pay about the same, you shouldn't have to pay stamp duty, you should be able to just transfer your mortgage, and you shouldn't have to go through 3-6 months of uncertainty. All of these requirements are dumb constructs of capitalism and need to gently caress off.

this is why land taxes are a popular policy recommendation (but state budgets are way too reliant on stamp duty for them to want to change that rn)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah, the Libs love nothing more than white-anting welfare systems into irrelevance. They can't call the disabled bludgers though, so we get magical Middle Eastern crime gangs

The Murdoch papers are quite happy call people on disability benefits welfare cheats and bludgers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Murdoch papers are quite happy call people on disability benefits welfare cheats and bludgers.

And now they're Lebanese fat kids

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What do you mean you've got crippling PTSD and can't leave the house? You should obviously be able to do 40 hours work per week.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Before Times posted:

What do you mean you've got crippling PTSD and can't leave the house? You should obviously be able to do 40 hours work per week.

https://m.facebook.com/TimKennedyMMA/posts/1078650138838938:0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sounds cool.

• Locked thread