Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Australian television icon Bert Newton is facing a social media backlash over comments he made when presenting the Graham Kennedy Award for most popular new talent at the 60th annual Logie Awards tonight.

Having referred to himself using a gay slur, Newton joked that his former co-star Kennedy enjoyed "mentoring" young talent behind closed doors.

"Speaking of young talent, Graham Kennedy was always the sort of man who nurtured young talent," Newton said.

"He enjoyed giving young people a chance on television, he was a great mentor, he mentored a lot of young people.

"You knew if you went to his dressing room and it was locked, he would be inside doing some mentoring.

TL;DR, the Australian TV community from inception to sometime in the mid 90s was a thinly disguised paedophile ring

Hinch tried to warn us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
ahahaha wtf

SA Liberals: Succeeding at backwards loving policies where even Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions hasn't made ground yet.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Watch as the Murdoch media, through an impressive feat of mental gymnastics, try to claim it's the lawsuit that is making a mockery of Australian parliamentary politics - not cat hat and his shitpoor behaviour in general.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This throws my whole worldview into turmoil.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
IMO we just put them to work in manufacturing in order to cater for our UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR GREEN BAGS

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Labor basically have a free kick on this one, over the terrible ROI for basically everything the Coalition do with regard to Centrelink.

But they won't do poo poo because half of them are into it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

There has to be some system for managing and assessing who is accessing nearly $200b in welfare, but this is a stupid way to do it compared to like any other alternative.

especially if they're mainly going to focus on unemployment benefits since that's such a small chunk

Problem is this is the same as their work on asylum seekers. They think that by spending billions terrorising a handful of individuals who ARE THERE BECAUSE THEY HAD gently caress ALL FOR CHOICES will prevent them from trying to access unemployment benefits/disability or seek asylum. They can't wrap their silver spoonfed heads around the concept that people don't end up on the dole because they mean to, or end up fleeing persecution and war because they cbf waiting in a queue (that doesn't actually exist anymore).

Edit: And if the ALP don't vote it through without question, the Media has a 7-way tag team on them for 3 weeks until they capitulate.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Comstar posted:

People keep accusing her and then not providing any details or evidence.

You just know it's 9/10ths that she's female and young but not "pretty" like Larissa Waters or a battle-hardened warrior like Rachael Siewart so she gets poo poo on repeatedly by supposed "woke" activist men who really couldn't give a poo poo about a women who they wouldn't gently caress or doesn't remind them of their mum.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

She was loving annoying initially but settled into her job and is pretty good now imo.

Would you say she was a bit hysterical,

Also, I'm loving pissed because the HK-based grey import site I used to buy all my electronics from (cheap android phones, headphones, earbuds, etc) from just shut down because loving Morrison's one-eyed insistence on enforcing a lovely regressive tax, rather than actually tax people on what they earn like we loving should.

So now we have to pay ridiculous gently caress you margins to Gerry "Scumfuck" Harvey, or which ever gouging gently caress owns JB Hifi (who have jacked their prices WAY up since Dick Smith shut down or am I crazy?) rather than getting poo poo from the source.

GOOD JOB.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I wonder which Dutton staffer wrote that

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
These clowns are about a half step away from actually locking up Shorten on a trumped up charge.

gently caress, Cash already tried it on. If they weren't comically incompetent, we'd be in a full blown fascist regime now.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

blindidiotgod posted:

And?

Ambition isn't a bad thing?

yeah but you see she's a woman

and I don't want to gently caress her,

so she should just be quiet and go away

- Dudes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Yeah because when Alex Hawke and poo poo do this we clap our hands and applaud their aspirations.

Oh you mean the same Alex Hawke that nobody in this thread has ever prattled on about for 4 pages (or talked about at all to my recollection shut the gently caress up)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It appears JBP has fallen down a well

*the sound of 47 pairs of Goony cargo pants unzipping*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

Yeah in comparison to America or Europe maybe we don't contribute much in the grand scheme of things, but on a per-capita basis we're one of the worst (iirc we were the worst but I can't be bothered substantiating that).

Also the cost of abating emission is really a lot less expensive than building loving sea walls, deslainating water and rebuilding entire towns each time a bushfire razes it to the ground.

I'll take "Things that will happen long after the boomers have any accountability for it" for $10, Alex.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
When your counter argument is "well actually it's fun, also white supremacy".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ah, it's broken clock O clock again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

freebooter posted:

Danby's stepping down. Guarantee he's posted as ambassador to Israel when Labor takes government.

He'll be pretty old by 2042,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well, I mean I'm glad we're off the SHY-Victim-Blaming-Whataboutism bullshit train for a while at least.

In actual political news, I for one am glad WA Labor may actually be able to fund healthcare next year*

*except this is likely just another structural deficit being built into the federal budget in order to gently caress Labor over and get back into govt in under 4 years, but this time with way more fascism.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The funny thing about Libertarians is that if they could JUST grasp the concept of privilege and how it affects your experiences in life, they'd all vanish into thin air and become compassionate and contributing members of society, rather than loud mouthy fuckwaffles.

The main reason you can't teach them this, is that the second they become the victims of anything whatsoever, they scream about the systemic abuse of white upper class males until someone has to put them down or everyone stops listening.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Open Source scientology: It's still a full of poo poo, rich persons cult, but now you can download it from github

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

I'm willing to bet he got some incorrect advice that his speech is protected as political free speech.

I reckon it must have gone down somewhat like this:

David FelineHelmet "Should I be worried?"
Also David FelineHelmet "no David. My freeze peach will protect me. Let's double down."

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Now, I know I'm not the only one in here that works for a uni, and I'm sure it's not news to most that IF YOU WANT VICE CHANCELLOR'S TO ACTUALLY FUND CYBER SECURITY, YOU NEED TO STOP TAKING OUR FUNDING AWAY YOU LEG HUMPING NEOLIBERAL FUCKS.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We have a pretty big cyber security team, but they're dealing with 20 years of technical debt due to it being a 2 man team up until last year, who had no time for anything beyond firewall changes and ssl certificate updates (sometimes).

We had to sacrifice a lot of other functions we wanted to fund that, but it's not like you have a choice in 2018.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Stop pretending Adelaide is viable

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I don't think a single one of my science student friends is still here. Most are in California, a couple have gone to the UK. I remember one mate who has gone to the US was doing some interesting thing with plants and biomedicine that sounded extremely galaxy brain, but then he told me they paid him $62,000 a year...

That's a living wage anywhere other than California/NYC though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LISTEN TO THE ROBOCALL

hooman posted:

I'm an engineer and I haven't had a raise in 5 years.

Probably because your occupation is statistically the most likely to be involved in a mansplaining argument with a low paid retail employee about plastic bags and as such any attempts to unionise will result in a 14 hour rant from each prospective member about everything wrong with the union movement

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'M NOT BEING CONDESCENDING, YOU'RE BEING CONDESCENDING

What? Yes that's a 3D Printed bust of Elon Musk,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

(Also I found out how much my last job was paying to the contractors they had to bring in after everyone quit and I don't understand why they didn't just give everyone in the development team a 10-20k payrise to stop them from leaving, it would have been far cheaper).

You see, you can't put a price on the ability to sack someone at a moments notice*
*In my experience, it's far harder and more expensive to terminate a contract early than perform genuine redundancies.

There is no financial benefit, boomers just can't stand the idea that they're paying you while you're not there, aka on leave, which they all took plenty of when they were younger.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean if paying deference keeps our courts relatively impartial,

oh except for the systemic discrimination against people of colour; victims of sexual assault; male parents seeking custody-

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has anyone seen the 911 movie with Nick Cage

Because that's what we're looking at here. A rushed, boring pile of didn't need to be made movie.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/food/ku-de-ta-in-administration-why-are-so-many-perth-restaurants-closing-ng-b88892227z

The West posted:

Restaurant and Catering Industry Association chair and owner of Subiaco’s Bistro Felix Jeremy Cariss said the suburb’s many eateries were operating on a shoestring.

He revealed a typical $30 meal left room for only about $1 of profit once expenses including wages and rent were taken into account.

“It doesn’t leave really much left at the end of that, unfortunately,” he said.

“You feel like you’re running along a cliff, one foot over the edge of the cliff and one foot on the cliff all the time.”

Broadfield said it was important for restaurants to adapt their ways to survive.

“Restaurateurs that won’t survive in the new restaurant scene are being dumped out of the business by the new group, the new restaurateurs who are doing amazing things,” he said.

Where your $30 meal price goes

Wages: $11.88

Property costs: $4.98

Food: $8.76

Sundry expenses (including credit card fees):$3.36

Profit: $1.02

I guess we can all look forward to another wage suppression/reduction campaign from the nation's media folks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

snoremac posted:

Im taking the Trump humanitarian approach on this and hope our government is going to send a bill for services rendered. Also this is another case of putting other countries peoples welfare before our own. There is no room for sentiment as Trump has shown when a nation gives and receives nothing in return.If was Trump was running this rescue he would have embedded clauses about revenues from the up coming movie to be made to cover costs our country can ill afford.

I don't think you're in the right thread buddy but also, you sound like you should gently caress off in general.

Also Abbott has almost definitely been approached by a military industrial lobbyist, and asked to please do the needful. It won't work, because he's a pathetic operator suffering from Relevance Deprivation Syndrome, but eh.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Source your loving quotes, idiot.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Les Affaires posted:

Just a side note, Australia will find it difficult to ramp up military spending without the requisite increase in sustained ADF personnel, and when the whole force is voluntary enlistment, without a current major war they won’t have a chance in hell of bumping that up significantly.

It would take a change in either the law (via mandatory national service, like a lot of europe) or an increase in pay and benefits or both.

It's Abbott, so you know which one he wants it to be.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Careful Arisen, gangs hunt in packs!

Liberal Minister: "How do we make the gang members black without making them... black"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Steamed Lambs, oval office.

Steamed Lambs.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kommando posted:

thats because if qld collapses, we can finally cut out the cancer and the rest of australia will improve.

what next, privatise the water?

Lol if you think in 2018 that NSW isn't the cancer.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh boy you wait until you do some work with PWC.

EY are comparatively excellent in comparison. PWC literally come in, do a bunch of bullshit interviews, then do a find and replace on the nearest applicable document, and walk off 5-6 figures heavier. My experience with EY was that they at least generated some original material, even if it wasn't worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh also Murdoch/Freehills have dropped their bullshit vexatious lawsuit against the NTEU's WA industrial staff which is great.

The Guillotines can't come soon enough to those scumfucks.

• Locked thread