Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder how Sky News compares to the ABC in terms of trust by the public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

snoremac posted:

The public is unaware of Sky News.

Related, does Bolt get more views on Sky News or when he's featured on Media Watch for being a fuckwit?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

You just know it's 9/10ths that she's female and young but not "pretty" like Larissa Waters or a battle-hardened warrior like Rachael Siewart so she gets poo poo on repeatedly by supposed "woke" activist men who really couldn't give a poo poo about a women who they wouldn't gently caress or doesn't remind them of their mum.

This is my assumption.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder if you can even buy a smartphone with the BasicsCard™

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If I was going to mock the bag ban I'd talk up corporations producing waste on an industrial scale compared to individuals, but I think that talking point wouldn't appeal to these people for some strange reason.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, I definitely believe he tells men to stop shagging men too.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is it a case of not understanding technology or just being generally dumb enough to do this unironically?

(please don't say "both")

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sooo the guy who shot his kids dead in Sydney looks to be a 68 year old guy who married a 36 year old woman and the kids were 15 and 13. :yikes:

Sounds like a top bloke.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A bit late, but I'd like to thank Planet Armerica for finding an expert who explained that Trump wasn't actually losing track of detained children a week before it came out he was literally locking them up in child internment camps. Great reporting.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't like the sketches on The Checkout but it was still very informative.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Planet America sucks and has apparently given Chas the brain worms

It is very truth-in-the-middle for a show about Trump, yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol the free market almost worked.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gently caress gambling.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

THE secret GetUp! call-centre script used in the Longman by-election obliterates the organisation’s claim they are independent, with voters told not to support the Turnbull Government candidate to stop “billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations.”

The activist organisation bought a commercial database of phone numbers for almost 30,000 people in the Queensland electorate and called on 400 people to man a call-centre that encouraged voters to support the ALP or Greens.

The revelations about the full extent of GetUp!’ s role in the Longman by-election comes as the fallout continues within the Turnbull government over the LNP’s disastrous primary vote of just under 30 per cent — a 10 per cent swing against them since the 2016 federal election.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained GetUp!’ s script that its 400 workers used in call-centres to encourage support for Labor and the Greens in the weekend’s by-election in the Queensland seat.

“At the moment the LNP have a plan to give tens of billions of dollars in tax cuts to big corporations — money which could be spent to improve Caboolture State High, or fund Caboolture hospital,” the script states.

“I’m going to be a little bold here. But if this billion-dollar handout to this to the big end of town is of concern for you, then I strongly recommend that you put Trevor Ruthenburg (sic) and the LNP last on your voting ballot this electorate.”

The calls were made in the final three weeks of the campaign as GetUp!national director Paul Oosting said the group has changed its focus from online activism to person-to-person connections.

GetUp!has long fought allegations that it was in the pocket of Labor and has received union funding, but Mr Oosting insisted the organisation was “fiercely independent”.

He said volunteers were encouraged to have a “genuine conversation” with the voters on the other end of the line, which could last up to 30 minutes, about an issue rather than having the feel of a robocall.

The script, which was regularly updated, was provided as back-up if volunteers struggled with the conversation.

“It can be extremely intimidating talking to someone who is trying to cook dinner,” he said.

“We have the script there so if they (the volunteers) want to run through it.

“We’re really hopeful that the Turnbull Government will take the right lesson from this (the by-election) and take the right approach to the company tax cuts.”

One script change was to advise volunteers to put the LNP as one of their bottom preferences, rather than last, after Dr Jim Saleam, a former neo-Nazi, was announced as a candidate for the Australia First Party.

The change in strategy has also spurred on the creation of “action groups” in 40 electorates it describes as holding Tupperware-style parties where volunteers hosting phone call nights at their homes rather than making calls from a central office.

It followed a “sobering” analysis of the 2016 Federal Election in which Mr Oosting said GetUp!realised that it needed to update its strategy and decentralise.

“In a sense it’s less targeted but we’re connecting real people with real people,” he said.

Liberal strategists said the script “shows what the Government is up against” particularly in Queensland where GetUp!focuses time and resources on trying to bring down Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton.

The Daily Telegraph living in that glass house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool and normal to obsess over the purity of your bloodline.

• Locked thread