Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

You people must not have office jobs because Funko Pop figures line every cubicle, desk, and shelf. They're bumper stickers for the office: tell everyone in the workplace you like a thing they may or may not have heard of with this valueless tchotchke.

e: They are at least less offensive than bumper stickers. I would rather pass a million dead eyed dolls than another "abortion is murder" or a quote from historic racists.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Why would you ever advertise anything about yourself that you could be judged on, let alone doing it at work?

Hey man, sometimes you're desperate for any kind of human contact after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours.

If Office Space is ever remade it will be sponsored by Funko.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Manageable debt is a good thing. It's how you build credit.

This has been my life lessons. Tune in next week to discover which bricks you should punch to earn gold coins (the yellow ones).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I have One Dollar in steam money, what game can I buy

Ring Runner.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wonder Boy/Adventure Island makes a lot more sense when you look at it as the prototype for endless runners. The idea came along when the devs were run over by a Ghosts n' Goblins machine on a skateboard then played SMB in the hospital for weeks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

With all do respect women go back to the kitchen signed XxSuperSaijinSephiroth1488xX

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress me I played Neverwinter Nights for the first time (Enhanced Edition) and drat I could see myself losing a lot of hours to that game, as someone who loved the OG Dungeon Siege game.

Underdark is the best one but the original NWN is a pretty cool Diablo clone with hacked up 3e rules which means broken poo poo like multi-class paladin/sorcerer so you get that charisma bonus to saves and still have full casting. The traps scale so frustratingly high that you want to keep search maxed so you know what chests/areas to avoid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NOLF hasn't aged well, being released in a post Half Life world where people hadn't figured out how to balance shooting and storytelling, but it's characters and world building are still leagues ahead of every other FPS even now. And it sucks there will never be another one when people have learned how to make singleplayer FPS games fun again. Contract JACK ditched everything and made it a straight shooter but that game is baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I have the script for NOLF3 right here it says "20 years later it's the 80s and Kate and her ninja wife Isako must stop a plot that will end the cold war in nuclear winter *joy division blares over the speakers*"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Watching someone playing through Yakuza, I find it increasingly difficult to believe Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone. But I suppose he's just that good.

He was trained by Batman. He’ll leave people a crippled mess, stab them, gut them, smash their skulls, throw them off buildings, run them over, but they still breathing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

nobody should post on twitter under their real name

Also don't advertise the people you work for. Idk I've never felt the need to let my friends know who signs my paychecks until I no longer work for them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

isn't guild wars 2 close to 10 years old at this point that's a long time to be playing the same game

Eve Online turned 15.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

my hot takeaways:

A) Don't vent in public to thousands of people. Smoke weed and watch anime.

B) Companies that fire over the smallest transgression show how disposable the workforce is and is more evidence for the unionization of labor and scrutiny of multi-million dollar companies who readily throw their employees under the bus but bury sexual harassment allegations especially against executives who hold all the power

C) If you like a video game so much you revolve your life around it, love the people who make it. If you're feeling upset smoke weed and watch anime.

D) Legalize weed

This has been a message from Internet Buddha.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

That is the unfortunate reality of capitalist America. Your social media is monitored when you're in consideration for hiring and monitored while you're an employee. It's poo poo, and the only way out is a mass exodus from social media or legislative action that bars it from being valid (fat chance of that, particularly with at will employment).

It works both ways though. Watching the drama unfold as people at alt-right rallies throwing sieg heils are fired from their jobs because no business wants to be associated with literal Nazis was beautiful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Big fan of the fake PSX adventure game they put in Danganronpa 2. I've always pined for psx aesthetic indie treasures. I'm hoping we get a revival of that look in the next decade

It's a fun homage to Twilight Syndrome, a series of PS1 horror games (some directed by Suda51) by Clock Tower devs which spun off into another company Spike then merged with Chunsoft. The PS1 low-poly with pixel art texture styles is definitely becoming a thing as goobers like me who think Mega Man Legends is the best aesthetic are making games. Check out Signalis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5bjLgeJdw

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its going to be very hard for me to run for president when everyone sees what i posted on SA when I was 18-22

There could be a picture of you kicking a cat, eating a baby, standing on an immigrant toddler, with a cross shoved up your rear end, pissing on a paraplegic veteran and in a post-2016 world you would still have a good chance of winning.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ah, so she was encouraged by the company to be outspoken and direct with the fans but she yelled at the wrong person and the president got super emotional about it. Yeah, typical workforce bullshit politics here.

It's like the Red Hen restaurant incident which really affected me because I live a town over. Goddamn supreme court upheld you can discriminate. Virginia as a state allows you to discriminate. Stay the gently caress out of my town because the discrimination which you support backfired on you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For an out of this world egg salad, substitute half the normal mayo for emulsified avocado. Add Kalamata olives for saltiness and hot peppers for heat to your final mixture.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mutata posted:

So a bug in the system let people pull real player numbers from Steam's API. This shows the number of people who have ever launched all games that have achievements. This is the closest thing we'll probably ever have to a broad view of overall Steam sales numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

There's a link to a csv file with the whole list. Go find your favorites and marvel at how little they've sold!

Look up Lawbreakers please

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Tacoma was excellent, I can understand it’s not a game that’s gonna be a huge seller though. I feel like that’s a pretty respectable number though, but I have no idea what the game cost to make.

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was sadly a mechanically bad game. I dug the premise a lot

PC games have a longer tail than console games. At the end of March the dude was saying he had less than 3,000 sales or so but that number has tripled since. Granted he's still in the quadruple digits, but no indie console game would see a steady and appreciable growth over 5 months.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The problem with Earthworm Jim is everyone played the inferior SNES version instead of the Genesis version. If a game wasn't designed specifically for SNES it was plagued with horrible aspect ratio and bad music made up of generic library samples.

The White Dragon posted:

isn't it considered poor form to cite other games by name in your catch copy and preview text

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Please don't leave out the wizards at Technosoft when considering Sega Genesis music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFuA7zvXEc

Also Hayato Matsuo who studied under Koichi Sugiyama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_RjkkqRck

This is a goddamn Blind Guardian song in Genesis form.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

As much as I like games with a stealth component I really hate situations where the game heavily punishes you for killing dudes while also having a whole bunch of interesting ways to kill dudes that you aren't allowed to ever use if you want to play the game well.

I'm looking at you MGSV

Agree on Metal Gear Solid in general, a series that gives you more guns than most FPS games, but really disagree on MGSV. The initial urge is to fulton everything and everyone but once you hit the cap you realize common soldiers are garbage and the only ones that matter are the mission unique ones and the unique ones with special abilities tied to every mission. MGSV is a game made easier and IMO a lot more fun when you turn the safety off and wreak havoc. And unlike past games the scoring system doesn't really penalize you for kills, it only cares about stealth and time.

It was really liberating to finally S an MGS game while leaving a trail of bodies behind me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ah, I got you.

But yeah, in Peace Walker at least you can use the intel team to look at the ranks of soldiers in a mission and if there's no S's or A's you bring the heavy artillery

In MGSV the missions tell you about unique soldiers in their description and they're the only ones worth picking up. Their abilities are required for specialized equipment and their specialty triples their output. By the time the game has enemies with even a B in one area you will be at max capacity from higher ranking soldiers picked up from prisoners, real time missions, and take-out-the-leader missions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Killing people definitely carries a score penalty in MGSV but if your fast enough the time bonus so far outstrips that penalty it doesn't matter.

I don't know how the scoring works precisely but the game rewards skillful shots or something so if you headshot everyone or take them out when they're not looking the reward outstrips the penalty. I also don't think the kill penalty stacks unless they were alerted when you killed them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Licensed games in America: turn whatever popular TV show or movie into a boring platformer

Licensed games in Japan: find an American property nobody cares about the copyright and just make some poo poo up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I didn't play the sequel but the first Darksiders was slaked my thirst for a good 3D Zelda, a long wait from 2006 when Twilight Princess released until A Link Between Worlds which was 2013 I believe? I hope it's like The Last Guardian where it drops out of nowhere and is far more polished than video would have you believe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Gamer in life, gamer in death.

We don't have wakes so I didn't know funeral homes will actually let you be displayed in a manner outside the normal open/closed casket deals.

Rest in Power-up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

what the gently caress don't pose a dead body jesus

when i die i want to have my ashed compressed into a diamond and then fired into deep space

Mourn the dead how you want, it doesn't matter to them they're dead.

e: It's certainly a more respectful display than a bunch of dictators stuck in glass cases.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

yea but don't you think having a corpse just sitting around is kinda unsanitary :v:

The body is embalmed before a wake. He could probably sit there for a week or more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i guess i wouldn't know, we're the kind of people who cremate

Yeah, not much room in Hawaii for dumping corpses. New Orleans is kind of unique in America in that they have jazz services for burials and use above ground tombs because the city is below the water line.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want my body parts scattered across the earth and a clause in my will that whoever brings them together with a drop of their blood receives their eternal reward (anime and my Nintendo power collection)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9L6l7Nfgc

marry me whip mai munny

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

omikron: the nomad soul is a video game that exists

The Deadly Premonition of its time.

Jay Rust posted:

Which video game afterworld seems the most fun?

The Oxenfree devs' new game Afterparty is about out partying satan to get out of hell. GOTY 2018.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

imo deadly premonition is a lot more functional and less weird

I'll disagree on function because you don't actually have to try and maneuver a vehicle in Omnikron, but man I wish David Cage continued to make weird adventure games instead of making movies on consoles.

Omnikron and Anachronox were an awakening for me. Weird sci-fi kind of died in the 2000s.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Also its an insult to compare it to Anarchonox because Anachronox is actually real good and is genuinely funny.

Cage keeps making games while Anarchonox will never have the sequel it desperately needs. :smith:

Anachronox is also a game whose gameplay does itself a great disservice. Both games have genuinely great world building and I celebrate them for looking unlike anything else that came out in that time.

Project Eden was another neat weird sci-fi game of a pre-9/11 world, a squad based shooter/puzzle game with a squad of POC and a disabled lady fused to a hulking Robocop body.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Clock Tower (technically Clock Tower 2) and the creepiest thing about the game is how many people hit on this 15 year old abuse victim. That also makes it the most believably written game from this period.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

It was made by one guy who doesnt understand what made metroid fun. I'd give it 4/10

He understood perfectly what made Metroid fun, but just like A Link to the Past created the roadmap for all future Zelda clones, Super Metroid created the roadmap for all future Metroid clones.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Octopath Traveler is the new SaGa Frontier? Because "review the game at the first credits screen" is taking me back to '97.

tap my mountain posted:

Are there any games made by a solo dev that are good? It seems like 2 is the magic number.

Does Vambleer work alone?

You'll have to define some restrictions because even "solo" devs get assistance, just like very few manga (at least the syndicated stuff) are truly solo works. Stardew Valley and Papers, Please were largely one person, same with basically every roguelike that wasn't built off open source.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone who reviewed RE2 without beating both paths for both characters should've quit their jobs.

occamsnailfile posted:

I loved Super Metroid a lot as a kid, and Symphony of the Night, but I would say that (for all my criticism) I liked Hollow Knight better. Just, Super Metroid and SOTN were both pretty new experiences for me, and for a lot of us--it's hard to top your first experience with a genre. There are a lot of games I remember liking as a kid that I just have no patience for now. I like QoL improvements, I am glad devs no longer feel chained to the arcade model of having "lives" for the most part (Mario!!! :argh:) and I feel almost spoiled by the amount of goodness modern gaming has to offer these days.

I mean there's still bad obviously. So much of it. All right there on the storefront. You know when Analogue came out I thought it was neat, VNs were something new to Steam. Then the panties started flooding in.

Lives in Mario haven't really been a roadblock since SMB3. Odyssey does away with them completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Does Eternal Darkness actually hold up? I haven't touched it since it came out.

It's still good. I think making it chapter based and wiping the slate clean each chapter was an incredibly smart decision because they can fine tune the pacing without cheating the player. Some chapters are more combat oriented, others more atmospheric and puzzly so when you get bored of fighting the game immediately switches gears to doing hexcrank puzzles then back to fighting.

• Locked thread