Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1unm0LS10ao

:siren:Games Thread Playlist:siren:

I said come in! posted:

By the way Games chat thread,

I got married yesterday. :toot:
Congrats! I hope you make each other super happy!

VideoGames posted:

Congratulations to everyone! I send you all my love :)
I like your av. Your flirtation with a Nier av was... troubling.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think $4k is a reasonable sum to replace your eyeballs with laser eyes. Who would dare question the cuteness of a laser-eyed goddess?

Realtalk though it's a bad idea. If you don't have insurance that will cover it or at least the eye drops, and you don't have a secure form of income right now, and your payment plan is going to stretch out for years, and it's because she doesn't like the way her glasses look (can't comment on contacts myself, could never bring myself to try them), then this is a bad idea. Go with her to a eyewear shop and help her pick out something that you both think looks good, then pay the extra money for the thin lenses or whatever she needs. Again, this helps if you have some sort of insurance but it's a lot better than making a decision that will permanently change her physically (my uncles reported increased sensitivity to light for years after their surgeries) but also strap you with debt for years. And who knows when you'll have a big expense that isn't cosmetic and need that open credit.

Now you can tell your fiance that you floated her idea by the Games Chat crew and that we had some reservations. Let us know how it goes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I still think you should take her to a glasses shop and try on frame. Be really positive. If you need some coaching here, try "I want you to feel as beautiful as I know you are, but before we take a huge leap with Lasik I would really, really like to take you to look at some frames. Even you wind up not liking any, it would help me be more comfortable with this decision." Then, when you are trying on frames, be very outspoken about whether or not you think they look good. Don't be too negative, even if you really don't like some, but when she tries on something you like say "Those make you look really cute!" or "I think those really say 'KCB'". Remind her that you can get frames that look just like what's in the store online, and you can see the measurements for a frame on the inside of one of the legs. So find a pair that fit nicely and take a photo of those numbers. I have a hard time believing that no frames anywhere will look good on her and I agree that it sounds like she's trying to change something about herself to fix a self-esteem issue, which won't be solved by throwing $4000 at it. And I would also say that you have every right to rain on her parade if she's the person you're dedicated to spending the rest of your life with. Her debt will be your debt, and any future financial problems will be shared between you. You're already talking about using your disability on her expenses.

At the very, very least, I would put the operation on hold until you have at least $2000 in ready funds. If she still is adamant about Lasik, then there's not much more you can do to change her mind, but you'll be that much closer to paying off the debt, your disability will likely have come through, and you'll have had time to exhaust all other options.

I hope you two come to some agreement you're both happy with. I have had friends who, from the way you describe your life, have been in similar situations, and I would like you to have better luck than them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

The thread playlist has a disturbing lack of Shadow Hearts.
All added.

I bought a copy of Koudelka when I was a young teen from a clerk who didn't care how old I was, but the first disc was a little defective and it wouldn't freeze about an hour into the game. I took it back but a different clerk wouldn't let me exchange it without my mom, who I was sure wouldn't approve of me playing an M rated game. I think I exchanged it for credit but I don't remember what I bought with the money. Anyway, that's my story about Koudelka and I've always wanted to play it through since that first taste.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has replied back, I appreciate it so much. I was afraid that maybe I was being unreasonable and controlling and abusive and I'm glad to have all these replies that I can show her. I try to be supportive of her in everything she does but the eye surgery stuff just seemed like..such a stretch for right now, but I was afraid that me asking her to wait would make me just like this other guy we make fun of who is always telling his girlfriend that she needs to give him his allowance so he can go buy TCG booster sets at walmart so he can try to make money off of them by reselling them.

I'm just brokebrained and I'm happy that people are willing to put up with my poo poo this early in the day on a tuesday

Be sure to print all these posts out so you have something to tap with the back of your hand after you shout "OBJECTION!"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hello. My 10 month old decided to contract Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease the day my much needed vacation began and my life is hell. Thanks for listening.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In the continuing comical adventures of LawfulWaffle, in addition to my kid being sick and everyone being miserable, I am now the proud owner of a leak in my water service line which requires immediate fixing for somewhere around $3000. So FAK, this is why people were advising not to eat that credit up. Who knows when you’ll get hit with something like this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Home ownership and raising a family seem difficult.

Hang in there

The highs are high but the lows are low. I’d rather get this stuff handled now rather than next week, when I’ll be itching to play Octopath

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s7Pc1LwYgw

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I appear a little late to the heated Hollow Knight chat, but that's never stopped me before. Hollow Knight is an amazing game, one of the best, and while I can acknowledge that people have problems with some parts of the game, I personally was never inconvenienced by them. The map system made sense to me: with my magic charm I can see myself on the map, but if I need the notch for something else, I can navigate just fine without it. Wandering into a new area, better keep an eye out for signs and audio clues while making mental notes. I would try and open the map even though I knew it would be blank, and when the knight pulled his map out I felt like that's a real human thing to do. To pull out a blank map and say "yep, I'm lost" before shrugging and following your gut. Updating the map at a bench makes sense to me, as it keeps the sense of exploration alive after you bought the map, but also lets you make things clearer when you find a place to rest or die. I can't give a great commentary on death and the recovery mechanic aside from saying that I was never bothered by it. I made one post on these forums complaining about a part of the Path of Pain, then the next day was able to get through it. No aspect was too hard, too challenging, too unfair, too punishing, and at the same time the game provided me with parts that I couldn't breeze through, areas that made me think carefully about how much I was willing to risk, and presented battles that had me carefully considering my charm options. I look at all these posts outlining personal grievances against the game and I feel nothing but sorrow for the posters.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

:lol:
"I weep for those that don't have my superior brain that truly gets why needing to buy a new map in every area is a good thing!"

Yeah, p much

oddium posted:

who else is gonna roll with the four ladies in octopath and never use the men
Watch this space for my MGTOW super cut of Octopath Traveler (the TACO path) where all female protagonists are ignored and some of the scenes have been reshot to better highlight the men’s accomplishments.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Since Lumines doesn't have a "take a break" warning I think I'm gonna need to set a pomodoro timer or something because this is like the fourth session where I have stopped playing and I ache all over.

For a game about being zen with the music I am completely tensed and fatigued after playing

I believe that, at about the halfway point for Challenge mode, the game does suggest you take a dog for a walk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I started playing the PC adventure horror game Stasis recently and it's alright. I thought the opening parts were really creepy but then you find someone who isn't a robot to talk to and I feel like that sucked a lot of the tension out of the situation. The premise is kind of cool. A giant tech company builds a research ship in space to conduct illegal/immoral experiments, and uses innocent people who have put themselves into a cryogenic sleep for spaceflight as test subjects. The MC puts himself into cryo sleep with his family before a vacation and wakes up 3 years later in the middle of hell. None of the puzzles have been too tricky yet, but I did need a guide twice for clues (one was just "you can walk off the right of this screen"). There's no action component (yet), no aiming and shooting anything, or health bars, or jump button, which I prefer in my horror adventure games. Things have been fairly straightforward, with areas just giving you a few items at a time and rooms only having one or two things to interact with.

I dunno, it had been on my wishlist for a while and horror adventure games remind me of The White Chamber (a game I spent 20 minutes trying to find the name of). Just chatting about games.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

GUI posted:

I haven't played Stasis but I saw a playthrough of it years ago and it's hard to forget simply because of that puzzle where the main character has to perform surgery on himself using a machine and if you fail he ends up ripping out his own spine

I've died three times already. It's pretty good about just putting you back at the start of the room you died in, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for ways to gently caress my poor guy up.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

You would not like FF9 then my friend

Some quality av material here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Skypie posted:

I think my final party always ended up as Zidane, Steiner, Garnet, and Eiko.

Also I'm dumb and never really got the hang of blue magic so even though Quina is apparently stupid powerful, I never made use of the character

I don't remember exactly, but I think my final party was Zidane, Quina, Freya, and Amarant. It was kind of a gimmick build around Freya's Dragon Crest doing 9999 and getting Quina down to 1 HP so Goblin Punch would also do 9999. I'm pretty sure how that's how my final battle went, anyway.

One thing about IX that's always rubbed me the wrong way is how I always felt like Steiner and Vivi had to be in my party as a pair. Vivi was okay without Steiner, but ol' Rusty loses his Magic Sword skills without Vivi. Not that Magic Sword is a make-or-break ability, but it felt like hamstringing a character if I didn't give up an extra spot for the mage.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Despite loving Octopath Traveler, I've been spending most of my gaming time playing Disgaea 5. I had a save about 30 hours in that I hadn't touched in years, and when I saw that there was a speedrun of it for GDQ I started feeling the itch. This is the first* Disgaea game where I've gotten a handle on how to power level, so I finally have a character above lvl 100. There's something very addictive about watching my units go up by dozens of levels per fight, and now I can faceroll the rest of the normal game before I have to worry about further stat boosting strategies.

*I've played all of NIS' SRPG games but the only one I beat was Phantom Brave. I dropped off of every other title because I couldn't figure out how to keep pace with the regular difficulty without tons of grinding and I didn't know any of the pro-tricks. Phantom Brave has a system that I was able to exploit pretty easily, and it looks like D5 has one too.

I own D5 for the PS4 and I'm seriously considering double dipping for the Switch version because of how engaged I feel I am with its systems. For now, I'm glad I haven't because I need to spend the portable Switch time playing Octopath. I finished all the Chapter 1s and grabbed all the basic sub-classes, then got sidetracked with some of the side quests. I can say a lot of good things about the game but I think I'll just harp on how good the music is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1kGw3lEpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JtQeUvzttI

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

A Bag of Milk posted:

It's an endurance thing, just stay focused and don't cut corners. People have a lot of trouble with the third trial but nothing about the moment to moment combat is overwhelming. The first two trials are way too easy for how late in the game they are while the last one is just right.

The real stumbling block for me was the prolonged segment where you can't heal. Once you can get past that part it's not so bad, but it's a real bottleneck in the gauntlet.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Super Mario RPG makes sense when you notice that Nintendo just put "Mario" in front of every genre. Kart, Tennis, Party, etc. Still missing Super Mario FPS and Super Mario Clicker.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

“Finally, a person worthy of my affection. I am forever equally devoted to you and your BlazBlue prowess. Let us away, and begin a fabulous new chapter of life together!”

“Lol, scrub.”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was at a Starbucks and ordered a sandwich. After ten minutes my order hadn't come out and I should have talked to someone but it was the morning rush and I didn't want to go up there when it was so crowded. Forty-five minutes later I still hadn't gone up there and it felt too weird so I just left.

I think I might have some kind of anxiety disorder

So you paid Starbucks for a sandwich and then just left when they didn't uphold their end of the agreement? You walked away poorer and more hungry than you entered, and took a hit to your ego to boot. You're more important that that. You are worth taking up someone's time even if you didn't pay them, and once you give them money it's kind of their job to deliver what you paid for. It is totally possible to calmly and respectfully go back to the counter and mention that it's been longer than normal for your sandwich to come up and that you'd like to make sure it wasn't forgotten. This doesn't ruin anyone's day, like you might be afraid it would. Just be polite and understanding.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Dogwhistling is an effective strategy in hate movements because of exactly this dumb bullshit you're posting.
I still don't understand what dogwhistling means. Then again, I don't understand why we have a nation of misogynists, racists and bigots going largely unchecked so I might just be to out of touch for this new world.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, I guess I needed to hear this :shobon:

Np, bud. We all do sometimes.

I played more of Stasis and I couldn't figure out how to pull my spine out, but I did get eaten by a big ol bug and I'm in proper gross out horror territory now. The story is a little rote but that doesn't mean it isn't good, there's a good amount of tension where I think I know what my character is heading towards even if he doesn't want to accept it, but at the same time there's something I really like about a story where there is no apparent end game. A space ship drifting off course, completely dark to anyone who would be watching, for months, where the stakes are ratcheted up bit by bit, providing a scenario where even if the MC achieves his immediate goal he's still left without any solid plans for survival. It's my jam.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbuGWgYLqWk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

After a middling day at work and putting my kid to bed I went and placed third in my pinball league's season. Tough competition in my area, but I took a small trophy home. Gonna play some Octopath and start some Chapter 2s. I have to fight the urge to keep mindlessly grinding in Disgaea 5 and save it for a rainy day.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hey this is a weird question but does any one in here have an organ transplant story?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I can beat Gungeon and I can't beat Nuclear Throne so I'm gonna have to say Gungeon is better game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had a long running subscription to Tips and Tricks magazine and would spend a lot of time reading over the codes they included in the last few pages. Some of them really sparked the imagination. I remember there were some codes to Plumbers Don't Wear Ties that I was particularly interested in.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been bringing my Switch to work lately to play over lunch. Today I'm running some geoprocessing in ArcMap. I'm scared to touch my computer while the processing is happening. I have nothing to do that does not involve ArcMap. Is it unethical to close my office door and play Octopath until the process is complete?

This Voight-Kampff question needs a few more passes, but the answer is no, it's not unethical.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I will fly the Jolly Roger proudly until I am provided with a way to legally enjoy Kick Master without an OG NES.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Had one once. Don't need the clutter again. Not to mention the hoops I'd need to jump through to connect it to a modern TV or be able to play it on my couch instead of the way it was designed i.e. cross-legged on the floor 5 feet from the screen. I'm not Jeremy Parish; a Retropie is just fine for me to partake of the greats.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I never played many RTS aside from an unhealthy relationship with Starcraft 1, but my favorite game from the genre was Outpost 2. You picked one of two factions of colonists and tried to survive on an alien planet. The planet (I forget the name) was lifeless so there weren't any alien enemies to fight against, it was just you surviving against occasional attacks from the other faction and maybe one mission against your own troops, but almost every mission was really a race against the clock. One faction wanted to terraform the planet and their creeping problem was a thing called the Blight, which would slowly take over the map and could be held back for a short while with special walls. The other faction wanted to learn to live with the planet the way it was, and they contended with lava, which worked the same way as the Blight. Something about managing colonists, assigning them to work in the different facilities or putting them through university so they could become researchers, finding high yield ore deposits, and eventually ending each mission by packing up the required number of living humans into rovers so they could escape before their little outpost became overran by biogoo or molten rock obviously left an impression on me. I just now saw that it's available on Good Old Games, so I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

e: Oh, I guess it's not on GOG. But apparently it is available on outpost2.net? Maybe that's :filez:, I can't check the site at work.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 23, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

This is every dramatic scene in any tabletop RPG I've ever run

Speaking of tabletop RPGs, my friend is running a Deadlands campaign that I'm in and while I really, truly appreciate all the work that he puts into the game, there's one thing he does that really irks me: require Notice rolls for *everything*. Like, I want to read through a journal, that's a Notice roll. I walk into a dark room and fail my Notice roll? Well then I don't see the glowing rock on the middle of the desk. One time we entered a room and he had us roll notice before telling us that the room was the scene of a murder and that there was broken furniture and blood everywhere. What would have happened if everyone had failed that roll? I don't think that he's gauging how much information to give based on the roll, because he'll have us do additional Notice checks after establishing a scene. Like the murder scene, there were more checks after we walked in to see if things were missing, if there were areas conspicuously free of blood, if there were broken windows, etc. The DM and I clearly have a difference of opinion when it comes to these checks; I feel like there are things that should be obvious or provided without a check, and he wants to slow down his own storytelling to see if my character is still literate.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

When I got my Retropie I found a Facebook group that had MegaUpload (I think, pretty sure?) links for entire libraries for most systems. Which is cool and everything until people start posting about the Wonderswan Color version of Final Fantasy Legend and I discover that the version in the dump is screwed up but I'm the only person in tens of thousands of members who gives a hoot.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault but for ROMs

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

doesn't that already exist in some form with movies, i know that some late 80's/early 90's superhero movies were made and never released to theaters just so the people who held the license could continue to hold the license. so, not a particularly effective form of combatting ip squatting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i admit i was in the camp that believed that the switch was going to be nintendo's sega saturn

instead it was nintendo's, uh, nintendo wii

I feel like I heard something that indicated that this was most of the industry's prediction as well. Like, Bandai Namco coming out and saying that the Switch was more popular than they had expected and that they were now working on getting more Tales of games onto the system.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6bbkG_Qzdk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Isn't Raiden a dad? Having a cyborg ninja as your pops would be pretty cool but he's got constant health issues, is never at home, has razors for finger tips, underlying anger issues, and seems to spend more time with random sewer children than his own son.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i just bought no man's sky

literally never thought this would happen
This was my worst decision of 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Prey's pretty great so far you guys. I'm early on so I feel weak as a kitten, which really helps build the tension when a mimic or phantom is about.

Did die once due to a physics gently caress up though :/

Here's some hints: The GLOO cannon and the wrench are the best weapons for at least the first half of the game. Get the alient autopsy skill that lets you harvest extra junk from enemies early because that directly leads into getting more Neuromods. By the end of the game you should have enough mods to buy maybe 70% of the skills, maybe a little more. For enemies that you can't GLOO use your real weapons or look around for explosive tanks you can chuck at them.

I really liked the game and have been thinking about doing another playthrough to get one of the trophies for no abilities or only abilities of a certain type.

• Locked thread