Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Is there anything I can do about a burglar alarm over the road that's been going off constantly for the last 3 hours and appears to have no thoughts in stopping?

break in and steal stuff. you'll clearly not get caught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

A relative picked up one of these for me from B&Q for £16.99 a few weeks back, usual price is £34.

https://www.diy.com/departments/3-speed-industrial-fan/1913022_BQ.prd

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

serious gaylord posted:

Is there anything I can do about a burglar alarm over the road that's been going off constantly for the last 3 hours and appears to have no thoughts in stopping?

Drill a small hole in the bell box if accessible, dump a tin of industrial expanding foam inside, laugh as the siren gets muffled so beautifully.

Alternatively if theres a company name visible on the bell box/a window then call them as theres a slight chance its on a system, or ring the cops and claim a burglary in progress and then in a few days you might see a pcso wandering around in a confused manner. If it gets to be regular do a noise complaint to the council and hope you are lucky.

Disclaimer- place next to me had dodgy alarm that went off randomly for months till it got sorted

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1024402024841011201
This is to create a 'visual symbol' of Brexit apparently, despite evidence showing it will be really expensive and make queues longer.
I created a 'visual symbol' of Brexit in my toilet bowl earlier.

Tesseraction posted:

fun fact melatonin is prescription only here because of potential abuse
Is that a recent thing? I remember buying a bunch of that a while back. Before they banned a bunch of other useful OTC stuff too though.

serious gaylord posted:

There is actually a law about that but I don't know if anyone cares. It was during one of Blair's law writing sprees but actually sounds useful in your case.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1024398074054156288

The event in question was put on by Hajo Meyer who was a Jewish Auschwitz survivor. Just in case you thought this was in any way sincere.

The fact that so many of these "Labour / Corbyn AS" stories essentially boil down to "you were really rude to Israel" and completely ignore the context and content of what was actually said is loving depressing.

Like as far as I can see here the main complaint being levelled here is that you shouldn't talk about Israeli politicisation of the Holocaust at a Holocaust memorial event. Which doesn't actually seem to be related to antisemitism?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
For all their apparent love of Europe, these FBPE idiots don't seem to know anything about it. Corbyn's policies would absolutely bring us in line with the normality of European social safety nets, that's like the big far left criticism of Corbyn, that he's essentially a standard European centre-leftist.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What does FBPE stand for anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fail Brain Pissing Everywhere

Also follow back pro Europe apparently, but they spend more time doing the former

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Munin posted:

Follow Back Pro EU. It's a twitter hashtag for centrist dads and liberals who hate Brexit but think Corbyn's actual existence is the only reason it's happening.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DesperateDan posted:

Drill a small hole in the bell box if accessible, dump a tin of industrial expanding foam inside, laugh as the siren gets muffled so beautifully.

Alternatively if theres a company name visible on the bell box/a window then call them as theres a slight chance its on a system, or ring the cops and claim a burglary in progress and then in a few days you might see a pcso wandering around in a confused manner. If it gets to be regular do a noise complaint to the council and hope you are lucky.

Disclaimer- place next to me had dodgy alarm that went off randomly for months till it got sorted

I think its one of the restaurants actually if that makes any difference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Melatonin isn't prescription only here but if you're after a pill to help you sleep get some Doxylamine it makes you drowsy without causing wild dreams. You will wake up extremely drowsy though

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Aren't most human hormones easily produced from readily available materials as long as you have a well equipped lab, though?

Yeah, mash up required organ and ingest.

Raw extract of human testicle for all your testosterone needs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1024398074054156288

The event in question was put on by Hajo Meyer who was a Jewish Auschwitz survivor. Just in case you thought this was in any way sincere.

loving lmao that they've decided to smear a holocaust survivor

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

i think everyone wouild get lots of use out of this

Maybe just one minor tweak...

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

josh04 posted:

Maybe just one minor tweak...

Oh man those would all make great avatars.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

loving lmao that they've decided to smear a holocaust survivor

The gently caress do Holocaust survivors know about the horrors of anti-Semitism. Aye they may have been sent to a literal death camp but have they ever had the government of a country they didn't live in criticised?

Also I realised that I hadn't seen anything from Hillary Benn about the Anti-Semitism stuff and I realised he'd probably have to call his own dead dad a racist if he did lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

serious gaylord posted:

chuck bricks at it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spiderbot posted:

On the topic of testosterone, do any of the other UKMT trans people know if access to hormones is likely to be affected by brexit?

I have my hormones on 2 month repeat, I'm gonna be re-upping every 6 weeks or so between now and then to build a stopgap. It's not worth the risk.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I can't even work out what this is trying to say.

Is the guy actually a pro-Corbyn and yet he thinks what we want is contemporary Germany? And yet he doesn't think Corbyn is the best way to achieve that? True I guess?

This is bewildering and incoherent.

On the topic of HGH, didn't Messi get HGH treatment in his teens because otherwise he'd have been too small to play football at the highest level? If I've remembered that right it sure seems to have worked for him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1008079434216296448?s=21

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

DesperateDan posted:

Shaving foam has a similar albeit temporary effect and often comes in a can with a nozzle that allows you to inject it into the alarm.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Munin posted:

Fresh Brainworms Please Extract

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I can't even work out what this is trying to say.

Is the guy actually a pro-Corbyn and yet he thinks what we want is contemporary Germany? And yet he doesn't think Corbyn is the best way to achieve that? True I guess?

This is bewildering and incoherent.

On the topic of HGH, didn't Messi get HGH treatment in his teens because otherwise he'd have been too small to play football at the highest level? If I've remembered that right it sure seems to have worked for him.

Modern Germany has a lot of progressive advantages over Britain so Labour should emulate the dying Centre Left party they have there now. Do not look at what those parties looked like when they managed to get those advantages into place or it won't work.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If Labour does move into the anti-Brexit endgame at conference, I hope you're all ready for the FBPE squad to start crowing about how they made it happen and how they defeated Jemmy Crobyn

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

baka kaba posted:

If Labour does move into the anti-Brexit endgame at conference, I hope you're all ready for the FBPE squad to start crowing about how they made it happen and how they defeated Jemmy Crobyn

i think you'll find that actually it's too late/doesn't go far enough

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

communism bitch posted:

Looks like there's one in Portsmouth that's cheaper and has more equipment than GymGroup who I was with before, and it's not even any further to travel. Cheers!

You're all missing out on the glorious council run Glasgow gyms, where I get access to gyms, swimming pools, and saunas/steam rooms plus free classes if I want them (I don't) across the city for like 25 quid a month.

E: I assumed most councils would have something similar but apparently not?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

If that happens you can expect a huge swathe of the FBPE crowd to suddenly realize that it's actually very important to respect the referendum and Brexit must go ahead.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

serious gaylord posted:

If you didn't see any sign of burglary ring 101, the non-emergency helpline.

If you did, well it's 999 isn't it.

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...

"Pesmerga" posted:

hormone stuff

1) call your GP, explain the Portugese results to the receptionist, ask to make an appointment to test testosterone levels
2) double check the appointment is appropriate for that test and if there are any requirements from you for e.g. fasting if they also want to check blood glucose
3) hang up.
4) attend appointment, wait for results
5) attend gp when results arrive
6) if results are consistent with Portuguese results, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist
7) if they try to fob you off, don't leave the room, goto 6) edit: and request politely a second time only to be clear you have a specific concern

Disclaimer: not exactly a doctor for Humans, definitely not your doctor for Humans, but a lot of experience navigating the nhs in various roles.

SuBeCo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 1, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

baka kaba posted:

To be fair if people are going to support good ideas and not actively shout down Labour they can be as smug as they like.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched Stewart Lee's Content Provider (on iPlayer now) and it was brilliant.

Had to go and look up Gary Bushell as I'm sure he's mentioned in the routine somewhere and low and behold here's his take:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/columnists/garry-bushell/719766/stewart-lee-comedy-stand-up-bbc-hot-tv

What stands out to me is this line:

quote:

We can’t be sure which part of his marathon snooze-athon appealed most to the BBC.

But I’ll go out on a limb and suggest it was when Lee put the boot into Brexit supporters.

I find it so bizarre that the BBC is charged with being pro-Brexit and anti-Brexit at the same time by the opposing sides of each argument, when it's quite obviously clear that both arguments cannot be true.

Maybe I'm still reeling from Lee's routine about how we live in a digital hall of mirrors and we don't know what's real anymore.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

spiderbot posted:

On the topic of testosterone, do any of the other UKMT trans people know if access to hormones is likely to be affected by brexit?

I think you'll find Theresa May has made at least one entire speech saying nice things about trans people once. How dare you doubt her dedication and ability to take care of us and/or not make nearly everyone's lives worse in every conceivable way

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Here's a wee thing about Brexit. It's becoming a bit noticeable that the hard-core Brexit crew are running on fumes, there's increasingly few recognisable people willing to put their name to it. Indeed they are reduced to placing one of the stupidest people in Parliament on Newsnight to defend the position. Not even a stupid person like Nadine Dorries is a stupid person, but the level lower than that.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1024207148014870529

Ladies and Gentlemen, indeed the full rich spectrum of humankind in all its wonders and complexity - behold Marcus Fysh

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

SuBeCo posted:

1) call your GP, explain the Portugese results to the receptionist, ask to make an appointment to test testosterone levels
2) double check the appointment is appropriate for that test and if there are any requirements from you for e.g. fasting if they also want to check blood glucose
3) hang up.
4) attend appointment, wait for results
5) attend gp when results arrive
6) if results are consistent with Portuguese results, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist
7) if they try to fob you off, don't leave the room, goto 6)

Disclaimer: not exactly a doctor for Humans, definitely not your doctor for Humans, but a lot of experience navigating the nhs in various roles.

Please don't tell people to refuse to leave their GP's office if they don't get a referral, especially for such a dubious reason as borderline low testosterone.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, indeed the full rich spectrum of humankind in all its wonders and complexity - behold Marcus Fysh

gently caress me that was painful.

Would love to hear how he'd answer: "What's to stop food exporters in the EU sending us their offcuts and rejects, knowing that they won't get checked at customs? After all :capitalism:"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

fun fact melatonin is prescription only here because of potential abuse

I learned after asking my doctor to help me with sleeping because I otherwise use booze to solve insomnia and they were like "we recommend spending more time relaxing before bed"

DOC HAVE YOU SEE OUR FUFCKING GOVERNMENT THE PAST EIGHT YEARS

gently caress ur doc

they're prescription only here too, but I order them from like poland or something over ebay and eat them like candy. Melatonin seriously helps

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Any youngsters from a deprived background in the audience? Not sure if you've got what it takes to be a warlord but keen to help out in a support capacity? Looks like you might have a chance at some useful training in advance of the Brexit apocalypse*.

Butler to the stars offers free training to unemployed youths

Don'tCallMeJeeves posted:

A butler who has served Pavarotti is offering to pass on his skills to 10 young unemployed people.
Simeon Rosset intends to give away £100,000 worth of training to candidates aged between 18 and 25 and from deprived communities.
He believes there are "a lot of snobs within the butlering community", with diversity an issue especially with butlers in private households.
^^^Not much gets past him eh? Doesn't say if it was fresh or frozen Pavarotti that he served either.

*The deal is that England gets to be Children Of Men and Scotland gets to be Doomsday isn't it?
Wales might be something like Darklands but no one's seen that but me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Normally when you get a politician on Newsnight who avoids answering the question and trots out their prepared lines, you just accept that they're a slimeball liar.

This guy genuinely just seems to be a halfwit who doesn't understand how things work lol

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's august, get outa here everyone

White rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The DPRK posted:

I find it so bizarre that the BBC is charged with being pro-Brexit and anti-Brexit at the same time by the opposing sides of each argument, when it's quite obviously clear that both arguments cannot be true.
It's just part of the right's ongoing persecution complex. They spend all their time complaining that their free speech is in peril and they're not allowed to voice their opinions despite the fact that you can't get moved for right wing thinkpieces these days.

• Locked thread