Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

required mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Stark Fist posted:

Any advice for bypassing or expediting the resource grind? I want to stop but it doesn't seem like my little crew of 5 would last long out in the wastes. This game is rad but the mining is so boring.

Early you can just run around looting stuff from fights around dangerous areas if you started in one and vending most of it. Running your starving rear end around some bandits/animals nearby and bringing them to the guards can encourage this. Steal food and other stuff off of tables and things while no one is looking or cook it from dead animals (no fail chance from stealing an item from the world while people aren't looking, only risky from containers). The only stat you really need to develop to not die very early is athletics. Buy/find sandals and don't wear anything that will slow you down until you have gotten your rear end beat a few times and can actually kill stuff. Train from public training dummies, ideally all the way to 14-15 if you have a mk3 available.

Avoid anyplace with beak things or blood spiders like the plague for a while or be extremely careful while traveling around them. They will eat you.

I don't mine unless it's a crew at an outpost cause as you mentioned it's boring as gently caress.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carcer posted:

Should I buy extra buildings in Hub or start my own base when I reach tech level 2? I need to build the bench somewhere and the little shack I bought isn't anywhere near big enough for everything I need.

You should be able to shove everything you need into a storm house for early basic stuff. Research thing inside and everything else you want on the roof.

If you bought a babby house, yes you will need to buy a storm house to fit the bigger research bench.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

linall posted:

I started training a Beep as a martial artist after one of the fogmen chopped his arm off. I know that from a stats point of thinking I should probably go back to Mongrel and get him a kickass prosthetic, but a one armed martial arts bugman is just so amazingly cool that I don't wanna.

Give him a lifter or KLR arm to replace his soft fleshy one so he's even better at martial arts.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m ambivalent about this, and I have 1.000 hours in Crusader Kings.

You can let it happen naturally by letting fogmen chew on them a little.

Or just peel.

:getin:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I prefer training my people up on paladins or other high powered guys as the opportunity presents. Training on dummies is so dull and anti-fun. I'll do the first 13-14 points on a dummy mk3 and from then on it's the real deal. Though since my preferred recruits are freed outlaw farmer/bandit slaves they usually have pretty close to the mk3 dummy limit when they start anyways.

My main sneak dude always ends up with like a billion sneak/assassination skill so if i see some small group of badasses from a faction i don't like wandering around I'll clock them on the back of the head, confiscate their weapons, run in my low skill guys to slowly beat the poo poo out of them with lovely rusty weapons when they wake up. There is pretty close to zero risk doing this as your sneak guy will inevitably end up being able to run like 20 miles an hour while sneaking so failed KO's just mean you run away instead of beating them up.

If you want, after the first beat down you can always kidnap them and bring them home to your arena for future sessions.

Also the current experimental branch has a rad bug that deletes your towns or reverts purchased town buildings back to their default state, deleting all items you had stored there so be mindful of that.

EDIT: annnd there's a note in today's patch saying that's fixed :thumbsup:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 13, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I've had no issues automating feeding and mining and such even with a distributed set of squads. As long as stuff is moderately close together they will run between buildings to eat and store things or do whatever. Just have to make sure you lay it out to minimize the possibility of them getting stuck on poo poo.

Main annoyance is repelling attacks as it's rather hard to maintain defense on multiple places. It's easier to just have one main outpost and have any alternate locations just be purchased buildings in friendly towns.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Making your place public with a lovely shop selling surplus goods to make guys come in to chill and kick the poo poo out of bandits and stuff for you is legit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mr. Pool posted:

TIL you can get a nice set of drifter gear , ninja blades, wakishis etc, by joining the shinobi and then going to the bar and talking poo poo on the "tough guys" and then the guards take your side and murder them. Wish I had done this sooner!!!

Shinobi thieves are super good to be friends with. 50% discounted poo poo, free facilities and guards. I pretty much spent my first 10k on making them my friends this time around.

Griz posted:

building a storage on the roof of one of the buildings next to the Hub bar is almost as good as auto-selling.

your dudes will auto-drop-off from surprisingly far away (it even works with the northwest deposit that's halfway to the other bar) and the storm house and bughouse next to the bar should be within building inventory range so you can have someone stand next to the vendor and dump all your copper without having to move at all. the west storm house behind the two shacks is just slightly too far, so if you use that one you'll have to run over to the bar door to get more copper from the box.

Actually using a trick I figured out to make them haul iron and steel from outside hub into my chests in the hub. Put a storage near the mine and one in my crafting area in the hub. Assign dudes on the jobs to stock both storage bins, with the one in the hub at a higher priority. He will pick up something to bring it over to the local storage, and then once he has it in his inventory he will go "hay I have a job to run up the mountain and put steel in a box don't I" and he will do it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

Well the nomads decided to leave after a few days. The tech hunters are still guarding my town for free though, seems like a bad business model but I don't mind. I don't have a shop in town and it's not a navmesh issue either. Seems like people just think I've hired them to guard the town for some reason.

Do the shops actually work? I read somewhere that they don't work correctly right now.

Sometimes they seem to sell stuff but mostly like basic commodities? They are buggy as gently caress

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arven posted:

My go to move at the start of any new game is to scrounge up about 10k, then contract 3 groups of mercs/tech hunters and let them all sacrifice their lives clearing out the robot spiders from the ruins in the northwest swamp area of the map. You walk away with the gear of their fallen plus 150k+ cats worth of loot and ancient science books. It helps to have a couple squaddies with merchant packs to help carry stuff back.

I usually clear those by running a guy in to get all the spiders to chase him out, and then once they are out of the building I sneak a 2nd guy in and shut the door so I can loot it safely. Security spiders can't open the door to get back inside.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I can't believe I'm just discovering this game. I've put together a solid team and am currently exploring.

Is there a plot or main story? People have mentioned lore but I've yet to find any.

Read books you find particularly ones out at World's End. Old robots will also tell you a lot of stuff while you wander around.

It's a large sandbox world with a neat setting mostly. You make the story

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beak things aren't that bad the annoying thing is that you have to micro so they don't own the poo poo out of you with AOE damage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carcer posted:

gently caress that, everyone goes into the meat grinder and whoever can walk away carries thier fallen comrades.

Oh, are limbs plug and play? Like if I delimb an enemy and hold on to it can I stick it onto one of my own guys who loses the same limb?

No. You need to get a mechanical limb.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Where do you get your first medkit? It seems like the Hub just has the bar and no other shops, and they did not have one.

Follow people around until you find some dickhead bleeding out into the dirt with one on him, or walk on over to Squin once you can outrun bandits.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Getting your guys enslaved is pretty much a fully fleshed out cornerstone of the game. Kenshi doesn't really have conventional 'talk to a and fetch 10 of z' quests, but being a slave is an entire questline. I used to try to avoid it, but it's a really easy way to often get a bunch of stronger recruits.

Random Kenshi tip: have your guy carry around bodies literally any time you don't have an explicit reason not to. You'll gain so much strength like this.

I currently have a guy carrying a dead body and an inventory filled with iron ore back and forth between hub and the shek towns. 50% str growth at all times. Sometimes he gets his rear end kicked by bandits but most of the time he's just playing the rocky theme song while walking around.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

christ you guys

Trying hard now
It's so hard now
Trying hard now
Gettin' strong now
Coming on, now
Gettin' strong now
Gonna fly now
Flyin' high now
Gonna fly, fly, fly

*flies buzzing.wav*

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lookit that exciting fast paced gameplay

Most of that kind of stuff is things you run in the background while you are doing something else. A dude hauling a corpse between towns is not something you just sit and watch. Stick em in another squad and check on them from time to time.

The game is definitely not fast paced tho. You have to be the right kind of autist to enjoy it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There should be some kind of setting to let raiders actually ransack the place instead of just looking for my food barrel. Damage my equipment and structures please.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

please let that be just a setting.

How much development time does this game have left? Judging by their website, the game is mostly done. But big chunks of it still seem missing, and the Steam Store page has it listed as Alpha still.

Supposedly the last 1/4 of the map will open and the game will go to 1.0 release later this year but idk if that's still the case.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any mods I really should install before first playing?

Dark UI is really the only critical one imo

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How does the sales counter work? I have one in my big house in Hub, have kept building open and someone in it but it doesn't seem to have attracted any customers.

it doesnt

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The squin mercs told me to gently caress off for being a Greenlander.

Have Ruka talk to them.

RattiRatto posted:

Alright than only a big base is gonna be. Too bad i have to abandon my current one as it is on top a fortress hill and it looks quite cool.

What are interesting zones? So far i have been only experiencing with the following:
1- Border Zone/Central Arid: Easy Area with starving Bandits and some Holy Empire crazy (I'm in good terms with them tough)
2- Swamp: basically you swim a lot and everything wants you dead
3- Southern UC: middle ground
4- Hive acid canyon: I'm not sure how i survived there for one night

I'm thinking about creating my next outpost in the border between Swamp and Wetlands, so I can make Sake and sell it to UC at a higher price (the got the +25% modifier). Any interesting or unusual position hints are gladly accepted

I feel like every biome is unique in one way or the other, It quite change the way you play.

Install this mod https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1384575477 and setup in the deadlands. :getin:

If you are looking for spots that aren't super dangerous and can grow stuff, the area in the northern hidden forest is green biome with high fertility with very little dangerous stuff.

There's lots of blood spiders and rather dangerous bandits down in the swamp areas (red sabres and swamp ninja). You shouldn't settle anywhere that has things which will eat you unless you are very confident in your ability to defend it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 23, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Now that mod is interesting, I'm not yet in the late game tough, but I'll keep it in mind
I have been running as a merchant around before setting up my first outpost. Any trade modifier I should be aware of ? So far I only found Sake +25% in southern UC cities and Rice/Hemp -25% in the swamp

Smuggling hash/sake will make the most money in the UC cities out of all the trade goods though you have to fence the hash. Otherwise, forging higher end weapons/clothing/armor and selling it will make a lot of $$$. You can easily make yourself very rich just farming hemp, turning it to cloth and and crafting tagelmusts or whatever.

And you don't need to be in the late game for super spider mod :v:

It feels too easy to loot armories and ancient tech labs or walk on over to the scrapyard, which have all of the end game tier stuff in them. Those guys feel more appropriate for the places you find them then a pile of spiders that you can trivially kill with a bunch of low skill nobodies w/ junkbows or a few mercs.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 23, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The last corner is supposed to have a lot of dangerous poo poo in it anyways and it takes a fair amount of time to get your guys out of the "gently caress I just got beat up by a naked guy w/ a stick" phase.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carcer posted:

Not that I know of. It would be great if something high lighted NPCs in general.

Also beware of the occasional bonedog that roams around the borderzone. They aren't common but they'll end your playthrough in a hurry if one decides it wants your limbs.

They don't run that fast. Just don't run around at low speeds alone. If you get in trouble you need to have a dude who can run off while the rest of your crew gets owned and come back later to bandage you/everyone else up.

Otherwise low toughness means you get ko'd and bleed out vs. most stuff that deals any kind of cut damage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah carry weight of bodies is kinda hosed up. You can carry a pack animal holding 1000 kg of poo poo with a naked 15 strength guy and run at max speed and it owns.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

Speaking of jank, I've been having a strange bug over my past couple of play sessions and as funny as it is I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has it so it'll get fixed at some point.

Basically, whenever town guards or whatever attempt to imprison folks, one of two things will happen. Either they'll grab the person and put them in the cage as normal or they'll grab the person, go into the police station/slave shop/wherever they're being locked up, stand around a little bit, then go outside, still carrying the criminal and drop them on the floor outside the building. The persons' body will then proceed to bounce up into the air and land somewhere nearby as the guard comes back out of the building and picks up their body from where it was originally placed which causes everything to go back to normal again.

It was funny the first couple of times watching iron spiders flying around and skeletons zooming through the sky as the holy nation guards attempted to throw them out but its getting really annoying because they're not actually imprisoning anybody, just going through this endless flying ragdoll loop

You can help em out and deliver them to cages when that happens if they have a bounty.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

Similar to the bug above, but most of the time I can’t throw people out of my town after beating them up. One of my squad members will grab them, then can’t drop them. Or if they drop them, the KO’d person/thing will throw itself repeatedly into the air and phase into the ground.

Also how can I kill people that are KO’d? It’s annoying getting raided, then have to deal with progressively smaller battles time and time again after they recover.

Stops being as much of an annoyance once you have higher skills and good weapons but at lower levels just take their weapons and kinda ignore them until they are beaten to death which is good practice.

There's also a mod that gives humans a heart item so you can kill them like an animal if you want to get that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Dang, that's one lovely helmet then! Guess I'll just look elsewhere for head protection, thanks.

Yeah, it's a bitch trying to do this. Only solution I've found so far is to carefully mouse over all the fallen, and if it turns red stick a katana into them. Even then it's not 100% effective- sometimes I've looted the battlefield, and while picking through a 'corpse's pockets, the dude would wake up and I'd have to stick him all over again.

Also, holy poo poo are the Holy Nation a sack of assholes. No you fucker I'm not gonna sell my Shek buddies off as chattel, what the gently caress are you on about.

Then you go to talk to the United Cities thinking "oh these must be the good guys. I'm gonna join em and kill the fundies" and come across a noble shooting starving peasants for sport.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

can you not right-click attack unprovoked an unconscious dude?

idk i am too wussy at the moment to try it. it's me and my three buddies running through the desert and occasionally buying some gohan and getting beaten up by gangs of passers by

No

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if there was a force-attack hotkey or whatever, just in case I want to turn bandit myself, or go nuts with Not!Kenshiro on the Holy Nation, but it seems like there isn't. Bummer.

poo poo

You can attack unprovoked from the context menu you just can't execute downed enemies.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah crossbows are really good albeit kind of a pain to level up with all the friendly fire early on.

Use a low quality junkbow and let them just fire into your guys to level up precision shooting. Once they have a high chance to not kill their teammates with stuff you can transition them to a good one.

Junkbows also fire fast so it levels quickly.

I also generally just leave ranged off for easy encounters to conserve ammo. Lining guys up and pulling stuff into an ambush to drop a leviathan or other dangerous poo poo is legit tho. Horrible things like the bugmaster or swarms of AOE monsters like hordes of beak things get wrecked by massed crossbow fire.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Where is the most fun place to build a base?

Edit: If I build a base in the Fog Isles, do I get endless legions of Fogmen to slaughter?

If you want to fill mass graves, Fog Isles and Cannibal Plains will provide the largest body counts.

Just clear out a death yard and setup camp.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks. Considering setting up camp somewhere between the borders for the Fog Isles, the Floodlands and the Holy Nation territories (since I joined the Flotsam Ninjas and they went hostile towards me.
Do I just have to haul a shitload of Building Materials over by hand to get started?

Also, is it possible to "claim" a town? I noticed that you can buy up and fix pretty much the entirety of The Hub, but since it's not considered to be owned, you can't buy power generators.

You can build small wind generators on roofs and fuelled ones if you care to.

Fill up a pack animal with iron and building materials to start usually.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If I build in the Swamp, will I have the UC and/or the HN asking for taxes? I can deal with bandits and poo poo, but the taxman is a threat no amount of swordsmanship can defeat.

Nobody tries to make you pay taxes in the swamp.

Sovcits getting eaten by blood spiders ftw.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

On a scale on 1-10 how bad of an idea is it to try building on the Leviathan coast?

They are generally pretty passive so it'd probably be fine as long as you get the walls up so they don't wander in and get agitated by your people running around. Definitely have a lot of harpoon turrets up tho.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

To everyone who hasn't been loving around in the Fog Islands, I highly recommend that every Kenshi player should try to get their rear end to Obedience (the crater-like area north/north east of Mongrel) at least once.

Bring a skeleton.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

They're basically the standard "Noble Savage" faction. Also, they're almost all dumber than dirt in the "I would sacrifice thousands in the name of glory" way.

They're definitely preferable to the others, though.

They are mostly Shek supremacists and faction that Esata usurped happily murders humans. They just aren't as virulent as Okranites or UC folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

That's way more boring than just running around picking corpses clean and stealing poo poo.

Like just walk to mongrel and pick up prince heads for 6k a pop or go looking for conflict and looting the defeated makes thousands of cats very quickly.