Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I got Kenshi ages ago and couldn't really figure it out, thanks for reminding me that I need to give it another try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay this game definitely sounds way more baller and developed than when I bought in ages ago, this is top of my list to install once I get a working PC. Bugmans :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I wandered around, mined some iron and copper for a little money, then spotted a strange tower on the horizon so I ran over and investigated it. A large number of bandits were most unhappy with me :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay, decided I would try getting into this game properly. Trip report:

Made a wandered who began in The Hub, recruited Hobbs right away. We went to a nearby couple of mining nodes and started working for some cash, was going okay, spend the night in the bar. The next morning I saw that someone bandits had had a fight with some random animals so I looted some corpses, made a bit more money, and went for some more mining.

After chokking up a few bits of copper a goat wandered past.

"It's just a goat," I thought, "Game is meant to be hard but it's one goat."

RIP me and Hobbs, killed to death by one (1) goat.

Game owns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Game 2 is going well, me, Hobbs, and Heft are making some money mining, we've bought and fixed up a shack in the Hub, and now we're working on furnishing it. We've had a couple of fights that we survived too, because we ran to the guards and the bandits got their poo poo pushed in REAL hard lol. Turns out looting the corpses of the dead is pretty profitable!

Who do you hand in unconscious bounties to? I was carrying a dude around for a bit worth a couple of thousand cats, but none of the guards cared.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

You need to go the local faction HQ. Not the overall faction HQ, just the place where the local guards are stationed. I'm phrasing it weirdly here because they're named a bit inconsistently and you might not find what you're looking for if I just told to go to the barracks, but that's basically where you need to be. You can recognize them by how they have actual banners with the faction's logo hanging off the walls nearby the door. In there, you should be able to find a commanding officer who can actually be talked to.

Ah okay, thanks! I will have to find another town for that I guess.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Turns out it doesn't matter much right now because we went on a little jaunt to Squin. We got there fine, did some shopping, and set back out for home - only to be ambushed by a BUNCH of hungry bandits. We gave a good account of ourselves, but they had numbers on their side so they robbed us of all our food and ran. While I was starting to patch everyone up, a big gang of slavers came by and decided they quite liked those free slaves they just found.

Now, granted, they did patch us up very effectively, but on the other hand, gently caress. Now we're being hauled across the map in directions I've never been for a fate unknown. But we're going to break out somehow, this I swear. And then the slavers and hungry boys are all going to pay.

e; lol our attempt to bust out when the slavers got attacked by bonedogs didn't go as planned

e2; holy poo poo a load more came in and wiped out the slavers lmao. oh poo poo none of them actually died though, one of them stood up and healed a second, who healed a third, etc., and we were all in comas so we were recaptured.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 26, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ruzihm posted:

you should be able to right click on yourself/your cage and pick lock

If your skill is too low, and your chance to pick the cage lock would be 0%, it doesn't let you.

For Snooch to get out, they'll need to up their lockpicking. You should be able to try picking those shackles by holding RMB on yourself and choosing it, even at 1 lockpicking you have a small chance to succeed. Quite possibly you'll succeed before you get your skill high enough to try the cage, in which case you can try picking other slaves' shackles, if you can get near them. If they've just left you in the cage and never bother coming to put you to work or anything, well, you might be SOL.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I got in trouble for stealing from a shop, got caught and did my time, but now the shopkeeper tells me to gently caress off and won't trade with me. This is great, but is there any way to get their forgiveness and/or get around it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dareon posted:

Have another party member try?

The nuclear option is to import your save and untick NPC relations.

Tried the other party member, no dice, even though I was careful to leave everyone else at the bar while heist girl attempted a heist.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So new question from a scrublady, is there a way to use assassination to murder the poo poo out of fools rather than knocking them out? Or at least to kill unconscious enemies? I would not object to being able to play Kenshi of the Shogun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

dogstile posted:

You have to download a mod sadly. Gives everyone a heart that you can remove to instantly kill them.

KALI MAAAAA

That actually sounds baller as gently caress, know what the mod is called?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ahhh I didn't think about later in the game. As it stands I'm just trying to bust out of a slave camp (again) but knocking people out for four seconds isn't really cutting it. Time for another tactic!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

What the whole gently caress is going on in this Venge place :stonk:

Kenshi owns

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That's incredibly cool. The more I play this game the more I adore it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

I feel exactly the same way, really. It's kind of incredible how much stuff there is in this game that doesn't matter at all, but makes the world feel so much more complete and real. Kenshi feels like a place that has history, and you can see it all over the place, even if you have no idea what it is.

I get a very Morrowind vibe from it, not just because the place is a barren hellscape blasted by ash and sand.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Came across some bandits, got stuck in. As we were finishing them, some different bandits arrived. We were on the verge of beating THEM, when a THIRD faction of bandits showed up, and boy did things turn into a real shitshow then. We lost Knees and Orek and also my first character's leg. They steadfastly refused to gently caress off after we were all downed so it was a long battle of trying to heal up the most injured whenever someone regained consciousness. Finally night fell, and I was able to sneak around doing some healing and carrying people. The next morning enough people were healed up that we could carry the rest back to Squin, which was aided when some slavers showed up and started fighting with the bandits.

What an amazing game :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've built a crappy little house south of Hub/east of Squin down in that river valley, and it's going well but boy howdy to a lot of douchebags show up to try and mess with you. At least the Okranites will happily just pray with you, even if you send a woman without a copy of the book out to meet them (because everyone else was either a shek or out cold lol).

Fortunately my dudes are now getting good enough to fend off the average bandit attack, even if we still come out of it with abundant injuries.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, it basically just pops up the character creation screen

e: one of my strongest recruits ever was a Band of Bones guy who had invaded my base, got his rear end kicked, got picked up by slavers whose asses I also kicked shortly thereafter, then was eternally grateful to me for liberating him. I renamed him from "Band of Bones" to "Bob" because I'm super uncreative

Honestly, I can't fathom what else you could name him.

Also the base had to be abandoned, no individual raid was able to do too much damage but boy howdy do I have a new appreciation for the power of attrition. We slinked back to the Hub in shame, but at least we've got a decent chunk of change.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Limped into Squin with a half-dead party, put everyone to bed. In the morning we went to start trading but suddenly all the Shek Kingdom members were hostile to us and beat the poo poo out of us. Okay, I figure, I accidentally lifted something or had forgotten about a prior crime or something. Anyway, after prison (We were only put in for assault, but we only had the assault bounties because we were attacked, fuckin pigs lmao) I headed up to a Hive village in Vain because someone needed an arm and someone's leg needed maintainance, but on arriving... the village turned hostile. Like in Squin they didn't start that way, they turned after I'd been there for a moment. We had to bail and ran straight into a fuckload of Baka Things and most of my party got eaten.

This is fine because it gives the survivors a motive to get swole, but I am a bit baffled as to the causes. Now we're back in The Hub and seem fine so far? I checked the faction standings and the Shek Kingdom is 10 with me, the Western Hive -1, so :iiam:

Probably some mod I've got is loving with things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you wearing anything that might count as being disguised as a hostile faction? Bandit gear of some sort, maybe? 'cause that happens.

gently caress that was probably it, I had just completed a big campaign of kicking bandit asses all across the Border Zone :doh:

e; ^^^ Oh poo poo yeah that actually WAS it, I kitted some new recruit out in a bunch of HN gear I had

man I am one dumb bitch

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Starting as a Scorchlander in Rebirth, one of the guards was fond of referring to me as a "blackened woman", but I don't know whether that's metaphorical sexism or literal racism.

Now I have a gang of six (Four scorchlander women, Beep, and another hiver called Irdat who doesn't gently caress around even a little bit) and after everyone is kicking rear end with martial arts they're each going to master one weapon skill.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Boy since that update yesterday Kenshi sure has got crashy, this is like playing Paradox games a decade+ ago. :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh, hah, I do actually know how to do that, but I'm just too dumb to remember it can be done :v: Thanks though!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I have just fed Lord Phoenix LXII to the fogmen. He actually has what appears to be unique dialog where he goes basically "This is fine, I'll be reincarnated as Lord Phoenix, ps Okran rules".

Then he screamed, a lot, for a long long time.

Kenshi is GOTY.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tabletops posted:

So i got my robit mining and bringing stuff back to a box. I bought a house in heft so I could research stuff cause i thought i needed to. not a big deal, was only 4000 i guess.

anyway, so he's mining and bringing it back to the storage container i made for it. But hes only bringing back 5 at a time? is there a way to make him load his inventory up before he heads back?

If you're unmodded then I think 5 is the maximum the mining node can store within itself so I guess he's going "Welp, it's full, can't mine anymore, better haul" and does that rather than realize "Oh now I can mine again"?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tabletops posted:

i found a map for sale that gave me a location way up in the northwest for some kind of military cache. decided to go check it out! time for a run.

this is probably gonna take a long time lol

Going on the big continent-crossing treks to seek out archeotech and poo poo is the point of kenshi

Well, that and CYBERBEEP

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tabletops posted:

I didn't see the warnings, or read them rather.

it's ok though, this town kind of sucks!

well yeah it just got torn up to poo poo!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Huh, haven't seen this before, but the Hub got taken over by HN.

This was a problem as I had my home there and had a skelly in the party. Had the humies go in to dismantle all our stuff and we upped sticks to Squin, which was fine because things were getting cramped anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

We got into a fight with zombies (thanks to the zombie mod) and it was a real shitshow, managed to save everyone's lives because I micromanaged one of my ranged people to evac people getting eaten but we lost four or five limbs in total and Aurora is literally the only conscious person at the moment. Going to have to start hauling people one at a time to Ashiba for healing.

I love how an rear end-kicking in this game can take days to recover from.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Panfilo posted:

Going thief/assassin type build is so much fun. I bypass virtually skirting dangerous. What exactly is the formula for stealth? My ninja has like 72 total right now, and can pretty much sprint right in front of most enemies in broad daylight without breaking stealth. I've been exploring the world simply by running vast distances in sneak mode.

As far as I can tell the formula is Naruto Run = Stealthy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Panfilo posted:

I like turning up the number of crossbow bolts in settings to have badass kung fu ladies continue fighting while looking like a walking pincushion.

"We have such sights to show you."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Canuckistan posted:

I'm also starting this game mostly blind. I wandered up to the foggy northwest and got eaten. Fun game so far.

The definitive Kenshi experience. :hai:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leal posted:

Fists have no quality modifiers :unsmigghh:

My sublime metal fists don't need quality modifers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah it's extremely good game design, even if its very rarity means it took some getting used to