Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Main Paineframe posted:

shareholders love mass layoffs, because there's a general presumption that all the least profitable teams and least efficient workers are getting fired, leaving only the most productive and valuable workers to work on the company's most important profit centers. so they'll assume that number will surely go up as a result, and will stop bothering the company's execs for a couple of quarters

even if the layoffs look dumb as hell at first glance, shareholders are willing to chalk it up to management making painful and tough decisions to restore profitability in a difficult situation, so CEOs can buy themselves a bit of breathing room by just randomly firing a fifth of the workforce

also, drugs

I mean, you can convince yourself of that when it's like a % of the company and divisions are otherwise left intact but cut people.

But cutting entire divisions, including the teams in charge of new products is just crazy poo poo. No shareholder should see that and think "wow, this is a company I think has long-term viability!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
counterpoint: the entire history of public investment in tesla to date

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, you can convince yourself of that when it's like a % of the company and divisions are otherwise left intact but cut people.

But cutting entire divisions, including the teams in charge of new products is just crazy poo poo. No shareholder should see that and think "wow, this is a company I think has long-term viability!"

robots and robotic minded bean counters just recrunch their numbers with a better-looking balance sheet and a higher stock price pops out. "does this actually improve the business's viability" is not a substantial consideration (or one at all) in that type of calculation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to be clear, we're talking about a company that had its main production line in a tent for years that was valued higher than almost every automaker on earth, combined

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

fermun posted:

tesla fixed the one weird trick my work used to use to get rush delivery on stuff, they used to let you put the requested delivery date for things you ordered in the past and the further in the past that you requested the delivery date, then the more overdue it would show up in their system and your order would go higher up in their queue. you could get parts shipping next day doing this by requesting a delivery date like 6 months ago

quoting because this is great.

also bet that their homemade erp systems handled this in correct, gaap way when they did revenue reporting

needle pointing more to incompetence instead of fraud on the gauge because it seems like it would be detrimental to backdate but idk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

meltdown may is the most wonderful time of the year
lol no kidding. it's only the first!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

what is his goal? why is he taking apart his own company?

I think he went to execs and told them to identify who to layoff. Some execs, like the charger people, came back with "it doesn't make sense to lay anyone off on my team", and Elon is retaliating against that entire segment of the org.

That's how I interpret this email that went out when he cut those two teams, anyway.

quote:

"Hopefully these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hard-core about headcount and cost reduction. While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so," Musk wrote to employees. Musk also told staff that he would ask for the resignation of any executive "who retains more than three people who don't obviously pass the excellent, necessary and trustworthy test."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush please come in and correct me here but isn't a problem with die casting that you can get air trapped in it which embeds structural weakness in the cast object? I'm trying to remember my manufacturing lectures from 20 years ago here and it was like this and the "tap it with a coin and if it's a dull sounds it's hosed" thing.

...! posted:

he's mad he's not getting his $56 billion and this is his tantrum over it lol

he's pivoting to "pay me or I stay"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't not reduce headcount! you will regret this!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, couldn't tesla save $70b by firing elon musk?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

infernal machines posted:

wait, couldn't tesla save $70b by firing elon musk?

only in a gaap sense

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that's some "the emperor has no Clothes" stuff right there. "some execs told me I should not fire the entire critical team for these products as they are important, this is not hard core so I fired them and their department"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

only in a gaap sense

Gaap of my rear end maybe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

only in a gaap sense

well there are now plenty of gaaps in tesla

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

to be clear, we're talking about a company that had its main production line in a tent for years that was valued higher than almost every automaker on earth, combined

that was a tentfold increase in throughput

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Gaap of my rear end maybe
what is that man doing to his company?!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chris Knight posted:

definitely no ring in this scenario though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

good lord that's gotta be expensive lol

nah. tesla cars are steeply discounted now. he could just get a new one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anyhow. Elon really should pull more poo poo like this. keeps me entertained

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Chris Knight posted:

he's quietly shutting down the minor "automobile manufacturing" part of tesla. good luck if you own one of those cars lol

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

statistically, what fraction of companies come out of the other side of mass layoffs continuing to grow and expanding profit? how many is it a sign their growth has stopped and it’s a long downhill slump into irrelevance?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

people hated his new truck so he's throwing a fit and is going to stop making cars and focus on ai lmao

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

people hated his new truck so he's throwing a fit and is going to stop making cars and focus on ai lmao

yeah that seems to be my read as well.

it’s full into futurism boondoggles. robotaxis, ai, robots.

which, lmao i’m sure it’ll turn out great.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fermun posted:

tesla fixed the one weird trick my work used to use to get rush delivery on stuff, they used to let you put the requested delivery date for things you ordered in the past and the further in the past that you requested the delivery date, then the more overdue it would show up in their system and your order would go higher up in their queue. you could get parts shipping next day doing this by requesting a delivery date like 6 months ago

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jose Valasquez posted:

this is imo one of the likelier answers. he did his best [such as it is given his personality and habits] and everyone hates it and the only people who bought one did it only to make youtubes about how much it sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fermun posted:

i wonder what would have happened if you submitted an order with a negative price

this sounds like bitcoin dark markets level of competence

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a reason every other big company uses an actual erp system in spite of how expensive and annoying they are

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 2, 2024

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

he’s going to fire all the engineers with institutional knowledge and hire all the desperate victims of the recent tech layoffs and fresh grads who still haven’t secured jobs for way less salary

the perfect staffing plan

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Not a Children posted:

he’s going to fire all the engineers with institutional knowledge and hire all the desperate victims of the recent tech layoffs and fresh grads who still haven’t secured jobs for way less salary

the perfect staffing plan

it worked for twitter

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

worked great for oceangate, i wish elon’s sub the best of luck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Sagebrush please come in and correct me here but isn't a problem with die casting that you can get air trapped in it which embeds structural weakness in the cast object? I'm trying to remember my manufacturing lectures from 20 years ago here and it was like this and the "tap it with a coin and if it's a dull sounds it's hosed" thing.

voids can be a problem with any sort of casting process (and with plastic molding for that matter), but die casting is more prone to them. you are trying to get the molten metal to flow through a mold super quickly and harden as fast as possible so you can decrease your cycle time. simultaneously the moving metal must force the air in the mold cavity out through vents. if the metal doesn't fill the cavity completely before it becomes too solid to flow, or if the air gets mixed into the wave of metal, welp.

less of a problem with e.g. sand casting because the metal is poured in slowly, the sand is semi-porous (so air can escape), and the whole thing stays molten for several minutes while it settles and bubbles rise to the surface and stuff.

more of a problem when your die casting requires shooting 600 pounds of liquid aluminum all at once into a mold the size of a hot tub and cooling the whole mass down to a solid in less than 90 seconds.

getting a solid, fully-formed, homogeneous casting on every cycle as quickly as possible is where all the engineering goes.

voids are a fatal flaw in a casting that has to meet specific mechanical performance standards, yes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 2, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

apparently they were xraying every gigacast part at germany/china plants but that sounds expensive for something that is probably ok

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

rotor posted:

yeah no that is horseshit, i'm just sayin that at that point in time it was easier to just write thing that listened on a port than it was to set up a real webserver

it was definitely harder back then in a lot of ways, especially if you needed to run online apps with CGI or whatthefuckever, and i can definitely imagine elong writing a perl script that responded to port 80 and thinking "i wrote a web server!" cuz he's a fuckin moron

but even then, as a complete dipshit, i installed o'reilly website and got the fundamentals working by double-clicking the icon

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

voids can be a problem with any sort of casting process (and with plastic molding for that matter), but die casting is more prone to them.

also if you'll recall they had a lot of problems with smaller castings looking like honeycombs

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I hope this means we're in the "Lowtax closes FYAD" part of the speedrun except it's Ketamine instead of Koala's March

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rotor posted:

i had not heard of this process before and maybe you hadnt either so heres a thing
https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/gigacasting-the-hottest-trend-in-car-manufacturing.html

tl;dr basically huge, really complex aluminum castings instead of a bunch of subassemblies. sounds neat until you think of what happens if part of the casting is damaged.

quote:

Robotics, automation, industry 4.0, and blockchain all have impacts on the efficiency, cadence, and support networks of modern assembly plants.
:thunkin:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

qirex posted:

there's a reason every other big company uses an actual erp system in spite of how expensive and annoying they are

would you all loving stop saying erp because all i can read is erotic roleplay

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

what is his goal? why is he taking apart his own company?

they thought elon doesn't deserve $55 billion because he can't do 5 jobs at once

well, wait til they see him try to do 5,000 jobs at once

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think he went to execs and told them to identify who to layoff. Some execs, like the charger people, came back with "it doesn't make sense to lay anyone off on my team", and Elon is retaliating against that entire segment of the org.

That's how I interpret this email that went out when he cut those two teams, anyway.

quote:

"Hopefully these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hard-core about headcount and cost reduction. While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so," Musk wrote to employees. Musk also told staff that he would ask for the resignation of any executive "who retains more than three people who don't obviously pass the excellent, necessary and trustworthy test."

God help you if your livelihood is reliant on things elon musk considers obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I don't know what's more impressive. That he's completely destroying the company or that there's still rubes who think there's an intelligent plan behind this.