Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Why are landlords allowed to refuse, how does that make any sense. Why are they involved at all.

bc of you accept the rent relief you can't raise the rent for a certain length of time, I think it's a year. so they're thinking it's better to reject the free money and evict bc the housing market is so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oh that may have been a state thing for ny. which the Supreme Court just overruled this week anyway Lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah you definitely haven't tried to cancel a gym membership then lmao, they're very much designed to take advantage of laziness and shame. When I had to cancel one, the rule was you have to go into the gym (so they can initially try to goad you into keeping your membership by offering discounts that aren't actually worth much, then you can feel ASHAMED for being A QUITTER in front of their employees and all the people working out HARDER THAN YOU) and fill out this big form in writing. All to cancel something that was costing like ten bucks a month.

gyms were still doing this in 2020 when they weren't even open for being able to go in person and cancel poo poo. nice lifehack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BonHair posted:

No work loving sucks too. And not just financially, but also because of lack of casual social relations with coworkers and (for some of us) the lack of contributing to anything larger than oneself. Much of this can be alleviated with hobbies I guess, but what are hobbies but unpaid jobs?

Of course, under automated luxury gay space communism, no one will have real jobs and it will all be fun and games (and nerds doing research).

being unemployed on Bernie bucks kicked rear end actually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

If I had a choice, I would 100% rather make a bit less and be union. Unfortunately, I don't, so I just accept that as a downside of my particular role. :shrug:

you can start one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Every single political party in Canada is vowing to ban foreign home ownership in Canada ahead of the federal election as everyone is suffering from insane housing prices, but yet Trudeau's party is running a serial house flipper multi millionaire in Canada's most expensive city.

https://twitter.com/ynd_jnd/status/1433888629475131400?s=19

thats one big mic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think anyone wants to live in high-end apartment complexes next to an amazon warehouse in Tijuana

prepare to have your mind blown.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Someone tried to train an AI to play NES games and it came to the conclusion that it could slam down tetris pieces like a mad bastard to ramp the score up really high really quick, until getting into an unwinnable situation. In that case, instead of relearning how to be better at placing pieces for a longer term strategy, just pause the game. The nerd running this thing just ended up with a bunch of emulators that had tetris paused 1 frame before game over.

The main goal was make the score as high as possible. When you get game over this goes down. Locked in an inert timeless simulation the number can't go down.

sounds like the stock market. can an AI run the fed?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

I’ve never gotten a bonus at any job I’ve had so cry more

I get a $50 Christmas bonus from one of my jobs. pretty sweet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

karl marx was such a lazy deadbeat he wrote tens of thousands of pages and founded multiple academic disciplines

he should have just gotten a fuckin job

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

e-dt posted:

ubi? hmm, close, but I would prefer abolition of the wages system

I'd rather spend 17 dollars on late fees for a VHS and then not rewind it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

blatman posted:

i would download a car at the first opportunity

It would be so loving badass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol they did this at UPS too. the interview process was basically getting a couple dozen applicants in a conference room, and then telling everyone "this job sucks, ok? you do not want to work here. the work is going to destroy your body, working weird hours will destroy your mind, and working in a giant concrete building with no windows will destroy your spirit. so - any takers?"

Postal service does the same thing, plus it was for a temp gig with no guarantee of future employment!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Or labor laws! If you have teaching or talking about god as one of your job duties, labor laws mainly don't apply to you. So churches that run unrelated businesses are sure to mark everyone down as "oh this is a missionary slash janitor" so they can treat you however they like!

when I learned religiously affiliated schools can stop unionization with 0 effort bc of this, the private education industry started making a lot of sense

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I open and close my windows when I want to change the temperature. Mad?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Kinda surprised we haven't seen more brands just outright try to harness the power of Horny While Online directly, really seems like the next step after that stint where they were all pretending to have depression.

It is a well defined trend and this person put together a thoughtful timeline of the development of brands trying to get people to think about them as fuckable. currently the Duolingo owl makes tiktoks about drinking Dua Lipa's piss and got impregnated by a kitchen sponge brand in a bit of cross promotion .

https://www.vulture.com/article/when-brands-got-horny.html

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's so remarkably easy to never have to deal with any of that poo poo it's great. Whenever I watch broadcast tv it is misery, how did people live like that for 50 years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're threatening to unionize to raise their pay it sounds like. But I can't read the whole thing bc of stupid Fuggin paywalls. Kitchen staff got a huge raise bc of this and it sounds like they just interviewed a bitter server who doesn't like this.

For reference the waitstaff now makes $32/hr which seems astounding for being a waiter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That snake robot is cute.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Approximately 499,900 of those incidents are people leaving their Christmas lights on too long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

how is that legal

It's not but they're infinitely rich so it doesn't matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

even that's a bad metric. an hour's drive could be the Bronx to Staten Island

e:

e2: holy gently caress 3 hours by subway?? what the gently caress is going on in New York

There's a river in the way

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

sounds like red-baiting propaganda tbh

people in the USSR did dumb poo poo too. Nobody's perfect

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

someusername posted:

Our supervisor "splits time" between our site and administration offices. Except she just tells them she's with us, and us she's with them, and bartends two towns over. It does take 6-8hrs weekly to keep up the appearances and meet w/us or her boss. There is nothing that would be improved if she worked more than that, so I'm not mad just jelly.

why would you also bartend with a sweet setup like that. Seems unnecessary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every Wednesday of my life I review May finances. My life is hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maed posted:

I counted about 8 hours of actual work that whole week. she had more hours drinking coffee than work on there

Same

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That TV isn't wide enough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my dad posted:

The Black Legion (specifically the USA white supremacist anti-catholic anti-slavic organization named that way. Most of these qualifiers are necessary because there's a lot of Black Legions out there) is somehow even weirder. It's a bunch of dudes who split off from the KKK due to being too weird even for them. Imagine KKK but wearing black robes and pirate hats.

Seriously, look at these goofy-rear end motherfuckers.

there's a good Humphrey bogart movie where he listens to right wing radio and gets really racist and joins the black legion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nexous posted:

also, re theft, when I worked at Best Buy as a teen, we were told 80% of shrinkage (theft) came from employees and only 20% from customers.

so replacing employees with robots may increase customer theft, but probably lowers theft as a whole, as well as labor. it’s a win win

with that said I fuckin hate self checkout

that sounds like bullshit tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

employees cant steal from their employer, thats all their Surplus Value on the shelves .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also 26 and under means no health insurance. drat I shoulda become a grindset millionaire before I hit 27

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do I find out if the tea I'm using has plastic in it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big Macs ftw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

I work for a big restaraurant chain - actually work with menu development on occasion - and I can confirm we don't design our food to make people feel bad after eating it.

I work for your biggest competitor and we have an entire department dedicated to making people feel bad after they eat our food.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having diarrhea is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

to make matters worse for NY public sector there was a Trump era SCOTUS ruling that basically destroyed membership #s, public sector unions were made open shop overnight as opposed to requiring all employees to be dues paying members as part of their contract. So on top of no strike fund, bleeding basic resources to staff and protect contracts between bargaining periods, plus the leadership are business union hacks who are spending their time and energy in this extremely dire moment backing the mayor's office on kicking all retirees into a forced Medicare Advantage plan. They're all a total joke in my eye, they have no power at all and it's making city work unbearable. Which is of course the goal, to open up more opportunities for austerity abd privatization of social services

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

nypd arrested bill de blasio's kid at a george floyd protest and tweeted out her arrest record while whining about how they weren't allowed to flatten the uppity underclass

Real hurthling! posted:

they threatened bill deblasios teen daughter with real consequences iirc

beaten

This led to that really surreal press conference where Bill was forced to watch a recording of a NYPD suv driving over a crowd of people in broad daylight and say poo poo like The investigation is ongoing. I cannot confirm that NYPD drove over people. Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cool to think that network television spends probably hundreds of millions a year on equipment and labor to get like 6 million people to look at a screen. Google is crushing it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I hang out at a local McDonalds restaurant just to enjoy the ambience. Having so much riff-raff loitering around is difficult to stomach

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

palindrome posted:

I'm surprised the youtube man chocolate costs $2.48 to $3 per bar. that seems pretty upscale, especially for mass retail like walmart. I suppose eating a grass-fed-milk hershey bar is now aspirational, or people really do think posing/posting gives them a chance of getting free money from social media guy in a giveaway.

Snickers is $2 for a bar around me. waiting for Jay to fix the prices