Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

jetz0r posted:

sofar sphere, sofar bomb, something like that. almost every reference to their use in ww2 leads back to the same lecture source that i heard it from

Learn something every day, holy poo poo

Imagine how much other cool poo poo humans could do but don't bother cuz it's expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Frog Act posted:

I recently got a job at a nonprofit and they’re unionizing. I’m remote but they’re based in a state with stronger union protections and their nascent chapter is affiliated with a bigger, active union. as is fitting for a non profit, the posho British ceo issued a response to the union refusing to voluntarily recognize them on grounds of DEI, citing a power imbalance between potentially unionized workers and the contractors they use for sweatshop labor overseas. Lmao

... power move here, kinda almost gotta hand it to him

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Sure are a Lotta posts in this thread todaaaAAAHHH

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Talking about the ACA

Like it's a good thing

Lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
SODA

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

Microwave had a mom

can't spell microwave without m e o w

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
google know that the times are trying, is offering us egg

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's an oldey of a meme

not THAT old

:smith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would like to believe this, but the sourcing is really sparse: one slide at a Google conference plus a whole lot of extrapolation. She didn't even screenshot a search that demonstrates the hypothesis.

seriously this is one step up from an opinion article, i've been trying to figure out how she knows or what she saw

also lol she worked for DuckDuckGo until a year ago

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
emfive, Willa, arsenic, SA actually has a reasonable representation of good posters who are also older

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cooking your rear end off?

Killing in My rear end Off

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

is this new? I remember glacier ice being a gimmick (though I wasn’t in the desert, admittedly) in like the mid-90s

ohhhh you got a Head Bag

they're full of... Heady goodness!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

adding middlemen at every step of the transaction is a nice american bonus to the whole thing tho

yeah other countries can still be smug about our money infrastructure.

lol it's not the fact that we finally have the technology in place that actually matters, it's the fact that they've made every piece of technology a middleman. it costs everyone at every step of the process a percentage of your money just to be able to use it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how tf you gonna charge me a convenience fee when the new system is more convenient for both the seller and the buyer?

Because it's convenient for me that your bits are passing along my network! Because I Can, deal with it :shrug:

e:

Ham Equity posted:

It's a "convenience fee" because it's convenient for them to charge you a fee and get more money.

yeah lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in the united states just by example there's like $7.1 trillion dollars of retail sales per year, about 20% of which are paid for in cash, the vast majority of the rest are paid for with credit or debits cards.

the credit card companies, depending on a zillion factors that they have complete control over and are completely opaque to anyone using or accepting a card, take around a 1-1.5% cut by having a merchant be able to accept card payment at all. that's $60b revenue just because.

this is BEFORE they calculate risk of default / price in interest on balances etc and make other money that way

as a small business tyrant it costs me 2.8% off the top for someone to use a card or a phone to pay.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Mar 6, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, it's why you'll see a "cash" price and a "card" price for fuel at some gas stations. i *think* stores are banned from passing that 3% haircut onto consumers using a card by whatever EULA they have to sign to take visa/mastercard/etc, but if no one narcs to the card companies, stores can do what they want

in this state the way you can perform this passing on of the haircut is highly regulated in itself (imo a good thing because transparency) and must be communicated in certain ways. Those ways are lovely and nitpicky and universally make customers IRATE

not at the credit card companies, mind you. at the person behind the till.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s fun too because in a lot of states the fee needs to be factored into the sales tax base so you see little mom and pop shops that don’t realize that get hit with margin killing five figure audits every so often

yup, another source of pressure to just knuckle under and deal with it, it's just 3%, c'mon

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tokin opposition posted:

Also makes it easier to gently caress over employees on tips and/or just steal them.

it's the opposite, even if this

PoundSand posted:

This could be outdated but I feel like the common knowledge is that everyone who works for tips prefers them in cash.

is not actually common knowledge

having a kapo house manager or whatever handle strictly cash for tips is still preferable to having an opaque accounting system built into a computer that only the owner has admin access to

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haldolium posted:

German Bahn wants to put a boston dynamics dog bot in use to protect their parked trains from sprayers. Can't think of anything that could go wrong

i would simply spray the dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

all those tracked trains?

a track is just a rail that you bring with you