Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

She's a Cool Journalist who came to yospos once to talk about bitcoins before abruptly leaving due to goons being terrible. She later got a job at the New York Times which caused the entirety of the right to melt down because she said a mean thing about white people once. She even got her own Ben Garrison comic, which is some kind of badge of honor I guess:

Anyway there's a cohort of people that to this day follow her goddamn twitter and reply to every goddamn tweet with YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE YOU RACIST PIG or some variant on that.

Sarah Jeong did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

The other day at the grocery store I saw an advertisement for 10% off your purchase of eight or more bottles of wine and I can't imagine the kind of person who would buy eight loving bottles of wine at once. Daydrinking moms I guess?

I usually see this for 6 or more, next to the cardboard wine carriers that hold 6 bottles.

I loved those deals, because I had to buy a bunch of specific alcohols for work. So when I had to get 3-4 bottles of wine, I could add in a few of the cheapest wines to get the case discount to reduce the total bill, and keep the bottles of lovely wine for myself. Wooo! Forestville!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean gotchas are scummy by their nature. but they are so big in Japan and scummy they actually made a ton of laws to regulate them

the three I’m aware of are

1. you must have summon rates, players have to know their odds
2. every card must be sold as a single piece. cards that require others to work are illegal unless there is a free option
3.you can only charge so much money at a time I think it’s monthly? but I don’t know the limit

it’s actually pretty interesting to look into

And in the US we have regulations like:

1. gently caress you
2. Give us your money
3. gently caress you, we need more money

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

lmao if you haven't been strapped into a lawnmower man style VR hamster ball and reading the internet off a 300x200 screen for the past 20 years

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

They simply did it this way because it was the least amount of work. Painting over the nipples of a generic model wouldn't accomplish anything, the artist still has the original.

you know, you don't have to roleplay as your avatar

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gods_Butthole posted:

Anyone know why traditional battery EVs became more popular than hydrogen fuel cell vehicles? It seems like they don't suffer from the same charge time problems as EVs and would nominally be just as clean (i.e. depending on the electrical source for hydrolysis), maybe even cleaner if you're not mining as much lithium. Is there a safety issue with transporting large amounts of hydrogen to fuel centers?

In addition to all the other points, there's the infrastructure problem. There's a fuckton of gas stations across the country, and there's a huge power distribution grid. There's all the other nodes that allow gas stations to operate, transportation, storage, refining, etc. Hydrogen has none of that, and none of the existing infrastructure is compatible in the way that installing an EV charging station is compatible with the electric grid.

The major auto manufactures have had hydrogen vehicles on display at the auto show here for a few years. The fill station map shows about 3 stations in northern California. You'd have to build a huge infrastructure network for a power source that's worse than it's two main competitors.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Dreylad posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/oct/28/how-live-streamed-375k-deal-for-pokemon-cards-ended-in-disaster

poo poo I think I have a Charizard sitting around somewhere along with a bunch of unlimited dual lands.

quote:

This article was amended on 28 October 2020 to correct the spelling of Bulbasaur.

I'm kinda surprised to see magic cards going back up after they started dropping during early covid, since there aren't physical tournaments going on anymore. But numbers must go up, I guess.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1327692879297474563

Amazon's support staff single-handedly destroying what remains of the British empire

https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1327635102302613505

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

How! posted:

Right?

This is the same guy who came up to my wife and I while we were kicking a soccer ball around for our dog, and told us there is no ball-play allowed on the property. So I think he’s just the worst.
You might want to watch this video to get an idea of things to watch out for in future apartments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw&t=5704s

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My mom went into a Walmart the other day and said they had two or three checkout lanes with actual cashiers open, and about 7-10 self-checkout lanes open. The self-checkout lanes weren't currently accepting cash so all the Florida old people were crammed into mile long lines for the regular checkout. She said she overheard one woman saying she had been waiting to get to the register for 20 minutes.

I wonder if this is old people refusing to use cards because they didn't have to when they were younger, if they think cashless society is the mark of the beast, or (most likely) both.
Self checkout lanes are scabs. I guess they're fine if you steal at least an hour or two of wages worth stuff while you use them, as a tax.

Could also be tax avoidance with cash, or they wanted to write a check.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

just lick the touchscreen, and take a shot of the hand sanitizer on the way out

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

How the hell do you get a lifetime pasta pass, I want a lifetime pasta pass :(

Be Sean Hannity.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

that seems crazy. they just make you yield for straight traffic in california. they just make lefts illegal on intersections too busy for that, or put in a turn lane and make it protected

I think you also need pulling into the intersection while making a left turn explained to you.

When you're making an unprotected left turn, once your light turns green, you shouldn't stay behind the stop bar at the intersection. You should drive straight a car length or two (depending on how many lanes the road is), then yield to straight traffic to make your turn. If there are no openings during your light cycle, you will be in the intersection when the light changes. This is good, the other cars will have to wait for you, so you will get to complete your turn even though there was never an opening. This prevents the complete lockdown of a turn lane during busy traffic times.

It's not unique to Washington, the vehicle code says you should be doing this in California as well. I will beep as obnoxiously as I can at your dumb rear end if you don't.

https://abc30.com/driving-road-safety-chp-california-highway-patrol/6232316/

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 12:29 on Feb 13, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

A navy vet and a BP agent who has served his country for decades

god drat, what a piece of poo poo that guy is

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

duz posted:

didnt you watch the documentary series about it, highlander: the tv show?

duncan macleod of the clan macleod knows how to deal with landlords

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

i think there's also a data limit as to how many transactions you can stuff into a new block.

there is however, no minimum. so those 10 minutes of mining can be used on exactly 0 waiting transactions, plus the 1 transaction of where to send the reward btc for mining the block.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tim Hunkin, the who made The Secret Life of Machines, makes some cool physical arcade machines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4fdXtRJXQ

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

bedpan posted:

I was really happy when I watched one of the Secret Life of Machines episodes and Tim Hunkin discussed climate change as a consequence of using internal combustion engines. He totally nailed it, which is a rare thing for a series made in 1989 by a boomer-era brit. Tim by all rights should be a gammon but he isn't and that is wonderful.

Youtube comments were full of people flipping out about Tim acknowledging climate change.

He's got remastered HD versions of SLoM up on his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtaR0lZhSyAPLuoSbMA29s3Ry8ZUvKff3. He had seasons 2&3 up on his website https://www.timhunkin.com/41_slom1.htm, but made them private a couple days ago.

His commentary is pretty good for the most part, he's not a fan of disposable, wasteful, and inefficient product design.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

See this is a perfect example of how they get you - you probably only went in that day looking to buy one car, but then the upselling starts...

I have a friend who drove her bf to a car lot so he could get a car. She wound up getting pressured into buying a lovely new jeep suv that she hated.

She's not a kid, early 30s. And she got absolutely chaos dunked by that salesman.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

skooma512 posted:

How do you get pressured into a major purchase like that?

Like sure, someone could sweet talk me into buying a gadget for like, 50-100 bucks. I could see that. It's probably happened and I didn't remember.

But....a base model SUV is like $30,000 minimum no? I'm not showing up anywhere prepared to spend that much without knowing exactly what it is I want first and I will not budge on that specification unless I can't make it happen or further research points me elsewhere.

I wanted a manual transmission my Accord, someone seriously tried to tell me the CVT was just as good. Uh no, if I wanted that I wouldn't have bothered contacting 5 different places looking for it.

I don't know. She had an old civic hatchback that she loved, then she had a jeep suv and was complaining about it. I want to say the story is even worse, that they went as a group and they all wound up with cars? But I don't remember the details. The dealership was absolutely savage.

High pressure sales tactics really loving work on some people, especially people that defer to authority and social norms easily.

My car buying story is that I spent 4 hours test driving stuff at a carmax, then left without buying anything cause all the cars sucked. Did the same thing at a few more dealerships, then finally found a car I liked after dark, with a sticker price of $13,800, kbb around 12k. I offered 10k, acted like an rear end in a top hat for a bit, made fun of their sales tactics, almost walked out, and wound up paying 10,500. Used a credit union for the loan, but I'm sure they still got me with something. I still have that car 15 years later.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

What kind of car was this?

zoom zoom
mazda protege5, it's got some issues, but it drives, holds stuff, and I like the way it handles.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

remember what sonic the hedgehog says,

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ok, cool, what can an exploited worker do to not contribute to the exploitation of workers? find a separate supply chain of good and services where the excess value of their labor is returned to them?

don't worry, captain neoliberal is here to save the day with voting with our wallets! my loving $3k of shopping a year is going to collapse amazon, target and walmart when i go spend it at costco to buy the same goddamn things that the other places sold.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

haha, you fake leftists bought a toothbrush with 267 units of evil, but my toothbrush only has 253 UoE! my $1.99 contributed to less suffering than yours, get hosed nerds

gently caress amazon, gently caress every huge corp, don't give them money if you can help it

but you're not some bastion of morality because you bought your chicken nuggets at a bodega or winco

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Muscle Wizard posted:

i get the medication i need to not die from cvs. youre afraid of losing your two day shipping.

lol

the whole loving point is that we're stuck in an immoral system. you're not suddenly becoming good because you consume differently.

the world is not a better place because you bought your pfizer dick pills from cvs instead of walgreens or amazon. every single choice you had was bad, you picked a bad one, and you're loving crowing about how great it is that you spent money at a mid level capitalist corporation instead of a capitalist megacorp?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

starkebn posted:

Do swear jars actually make people swear less?

gently caress you

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Suspicious posted:

not being 100% maliciously evil all the time

*paying some people to write articles about how they're not maliciously evil all the time

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I'm sure this varies by region and store, but in stores with modern registers, the days of cashiers manually deciding what is covered and what isn't are over. Scan your stuff, swipe your SNAP card, it automatically totals up what is eligible and whats not, and uses what it can from the SNAP account. If its not 100% covered then you get another prompt "hey you owe this much as the balance" just like any other 2 part payment

Both of my kids got their very own SNAP cards last week with like $100 on one and $400 on the other! With the schools not serving lunch for shorter days of in-person learning, this is an alternative to sending home packaged meals apparently

WIC and SNAP are different. WIC gives out vouchers like

where only certain items are valid due to a bunch of dumb reasons, so if you pick the pack of cheese that's 15.4oz, it won't work. And they have to be done as separate transactions, with all the speed of writing a check for 1-4 items, then also checking out with your normal items.

SNAP/EBT on cards is really simple and easy to use now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Here's your voucher for one poverty shaming

those "35% MORE!" and shaved down product sizes won't qualify. some stores only have 1 valid item for a category, so if it runs out a manager has to do some exception transaction on the closest neighbor item.

the person i know who used it said there was a store next to the wic office setup solely with wic sizes and brands, and that was the only thing that really made it bearable to use.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

really simple and easy to use doing a lot of work here

ebt transactions are roughly the same as using a debit card, maybe one more A or B choice on the card reader terminal.

the rest of the ebt system and the paperwork is a god drat confusing clusterfuck. but i can swipe the card, pick a couple options, and enter my pin to pay for groceries after jumping through all the hoops to get to that point.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Laterite posted:

Can't wait for the annual covid boosters to run at $500 a pop

i'm just gonna torrent the dlc

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

That Old Ganon posted:

Just out of curiosity, which state did this? When I use California's EBT card there's a "food" option and a "cash" option at the point of sale, and I could only ever use the former. I'd also only get $194 a month for groceries, and I couldn't use it for hot food. EBT Cash seemed like it was just using the EBT card as a debit card; fast food places that accepted EBT always told me they'd accept EBT Cash, but not EBT Food.
CalWORKS/TANF also uses ebt cards and loads some cash into a separate account that uses the same card. You can withdraw it, and I think spend it like a debit card? I didn't apply for calworks, but my ebt card came with $20 loaded on the cash account. So I think you get a little bit as a welcoming bonus, but that's it.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

SNAP has a steep benefits cliff, also. max income limit, and the closer you are to that limit, the less you get until it zeroes out

however, right now, because of the $1400 check/recovery etc whatever bill, if you qualify for SNAP at all, you get the full payout. applies to individuals and families, been doing my best to encourage my friends who only qualify for like $20 of food stamps a month to give it a try

Yeah, it owns. I went through all that paperwork and interview, and got a letter saying I'd quality for $17/mo. So I shrugged, and figured I'd wait a few months for benefits to built up, so I could buy one trip worth of groceries. Then someone here mentioned calfresh was giving out max benefits, and then I checked my account to find $600 in food monies waiting for me instead of $60.

I am getting SO MANY Bargain Market snacks with my ebt card. It's great just being able to buy food that I want to eat instead of picking over every dollar to maximize calories for dishes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

inferis posted:

yeah where is the petit bourgeois class teaching people how to write those signs

facebook and twitter, it's literally a meme

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Homocow posted:

I love these people because they think laws can be subverted by waving a magic wand of words

the law can and is subverted by a magic wand of words and ideas, but they don't have enough of the blessed reagents (money) for priests (lawyers) to cast the spells for them.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Accretionist posted:

All hail crab!

crab facts 1/250
https://twitter.com/franzanth/status/1383127388855226368
https://twitter.com/franzanth/status/1383135377242812416
https://twitter.com/franzanth/status/1385296605096472578

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

duz posted:

you can already get surgery to have elf ears, they look like poo poo, as to be expected

never be the early adopter with first gen tech, you gotta wait a bit for the problems to be ironed out

sup duz

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

indigi posted:

well I've only been in two but they always showed up as a deduction on my check. maybe it's just the agreement at those sites

It varies by union, contract, site, etc. The one I work with used to send out bills every quarter for dues, but only for working certain jobs. Others were auto deducted from paychecks. Then they started doing auto deductions for all the contracts once that one company bought a computer that could connect to the internet.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lor posted:

I assume you mean we technically don't know because no one alive today was around at the time, which I guess is true.

If not, what techniques are you talking about? How to drag stones up a very long incline? I think the consensus today is there was a very long dirt ramp leading to each level and once they'd finished that one, they just built up the ramp to the next level, all the way up.

Edit: Does CSPAM have a slow mode applied to posting? :confused:

It's not consensus in any way, and there's a lack of large scale experiments for the practical side of building the parts, but this video has a really interesting idea on how to move all those blocks; water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1y8N0ePuF8

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BonHair posted:

God drat America, always one step ahead even especially if it's counterproductive dumb poo poo.

while the sign spiners are sad in an exploiting labor kind of way, there's also these loving things that just fill me with rage

box trucks modified into rolling billboards that drive around busy areas simply to be seen driving around busy areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ToxicAcne posted:

I remember as a kid, cop telling us in a school assembly that he assumed that even people who had been found not guilty of a crime had done something wrong.

A cop in 4th grade told us that if you don't get caught, you didn't do anything wrong.