Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mercrom posted:

exploitation and environmental destruction are not unique to capitalism they are not even unique to humans

Yeah well we industrialized that poo poo. Anything else on this rock ever built an assembly line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm willing to bet money that "working alone" was reading news or playing with a phone while sitting in the office. I find it hilarious how often it turns out that "doing something when another executive is near" counts as work by default.

No that trip was totally for business! I talked to a bunch of other CEOs. The fact that it was on a beach with hookers and cocaine is just a perk of the position, you know.

Because I'm cynical I'm going to assume that a lot of the conference calls are just bitching at underlings that the numbers aren't good enough.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

houstonguy posted:

If there’s a silver lining here, this person sounds extremely unhappy, and even after seeking professional help about it, her only solution is to buy even more poo poo to throw into the void that is her existence.

“Hmm, still having constant panic attacks despite my extremely cushy lifestyle. You know what should help? Essential oils!”

Is it possible all rich people are this unhappy??

Happiness is not allowed in America.

For anybody.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

I've seen some of them, they usually add like $50 to the price by putting on 20 cents worth of gold flake and claiming it's fancy now. The really expensive stuff is just regular food item plus a buttload of black truffle thrown on top. It's really unimaginative and they've all just copied each other's hipster bougie asses.

Other times it's "we scoured the world for the finest ingredients. This hamburger has ingredients from 37 different countries."

...well I mean it's still a hamburger just now it's $100 and has a pretentious backstory.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I guess what they want to do is shift the legal blame to the security company they pay to secure the place so they themselves don't have to pay anything.

That cold blooded externalization of costs is capitalist as hell. "Hmmmmm, over 50 people died and hundreds were injured when somebody shot a gently caress load of bullets out of our hotel. How do we avoid incurring any damages? That's the important thing here, obviously."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Let's be honest here, Oreos are loving good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

I am more commenting on why capitalism has a positive reputation in the american mythos based on its history. Although if you look past the veneer you still of course see extreme exploitation, genocide, slavery, and imperialism.

Lots and lots of propaganda mixed with "I'll totally be a billionaire some day if I work hard enough" with a smattering of hijacked education thrown in for good measure.

Then you spice it with "it's the best because freedom" and a healthy dose of "well it's the best system that exists despite its flaws so what are you going to do?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scary! posted:

Does he not realize bookstores already exist, or does he not understand the basic concept of libraries?

Probably sees bookstores on the decline and has probably never actually set foot in a library. It's really incredible how many people just have no loving idea what libraries even do. They're far more than a building you keep a bunch of books in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1XGXMELyw

Says the water is full of oxygen and has food pellets. Says the animal can live up to 3 months.

So three months trapped in a bag with its own poo poo. Radical.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wasn't traditional Chinese medicine literally bullshitted into existence a few decades ago? Seems like we have a worldwide case of alt med bullshit going on everywhere.

But yeah apparently people were grinding up rhino horns for dick pills which led to a lot of poaching.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hell thousands of them have their address as one specific building that contains nothing more than a very bored receptionist who will tell you about the building but literally nothing else.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scary! posted:

Whether or not Americans get something is determined strictly by whether or not someone will make a direct profit. If they want customers maybe they should make better food than what you get at the office cafeteria.

Eh work cafeterias are often capitalism as well. It can mean more time in the office or encourage talking shop at lunch. Working lunches means squeezing more work out of your people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

What’s that deadzone is West Virginia all about?

A sad region devoid of cheeseburgers. Quick, we need to subsidize McDonald's so they'll spread the joy there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

So do the fish pills work or what?

Sometimes. "An infection" could be bacteria, a virus, a fungus, or a parasite. Who knows? What's part of why you should see a doctor about those things. Doctors unfortunately are expensive. Fish antibiotics are not. Where I'm originally from people would often go to a farm supply store to get penicillin because it was basically the same thing as what you'd give to people only it was labelled "for animals" and like 5% of the price.

That's attractive because it means you can try a few dollars of "horse penicillin" for a few dollars first instead of paying $500 to see your doctor and get an overpriced script.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Len posted:

My fiancees sister just sat here and told us working for the state sucks because she's guaranteed raised but can't haggle for how much they are.

Also that she gets a cost of living raises which is "literally worthless and you don't actually see the difference"

My motivation to give even the slightest poo poo about my job died when I realized that the best annual raise I can possibly get didn't even keep up with inflation.

At this point I mostly just show up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Senor Dog posted:

If I personally were ever in charge, I would only nuke canadians and finns.

So, like, 18 people?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

As a dumbass American I can confirm.
So many people have been convinced that taking any time off is a sign of weakness. Work is something to be proud of, not just a vehicle for paying your bills.
If you have a job that really is great and benefits the world, be proud as hell.

buuuuut you work admin in an office. The world will not notice if you take a day, week or maybe even a month off.

This attitude makes things worse because people won't take sick days even if they are paid. So they come in under some odd sense of need and get everyone else sick.

I have a job now where nobody cares much if you call in sick or actually use your vacation days. I still feel a twinge of guilt when I schedule a day off as basically every other job I've had has been all "no time off ever for any reason" as a culture. I find it legitimately confusing after jobs that give you grief if you actually dare to use your time off for any reason at all.

One of the new people actually came in on a day when she wasn't feeling that well at all and one of the seniors was like "just go home. You're a mess. Go get some rest." You could hear the confusion in how she responded to that. It was like "...go...home? Rest? What do you mean?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds about right

Why be loyal to the job? The job isn't loyal yo you.

I'll do a good job because I take pride in my own work but aside from that if I get a better offer elsewhere I'm gone and I refuse to do bullshit to "help the company out" if it hurts my bottom line or getting home on time. After hours is extra pay, not no pay.

Some older people read that and say "entitled little poo poo" but that's how companies treat employees and it should be no different. Capitalism, free market, etc. Loyalty? What's loyalty? Loyalty is working 30 years for poo poo raises and a stolen pension? Nah.

My boss is my friend he's such a good guy
That's why I'm out in the bread line

Eh, for the olds there actually was some loyalty going both ways but that was because at the time there had to be. Unions were actually strong and the labor market was such that you could literally walk off your job then have a new one a few hours later. Your boss probably wasn't a dick because he knew you could leave any time.

Granted those same people often are the boss now so all they see is young people not giving a poo poo about their jobs while failing to realize all the reasons why. "Back in my day," they'll say. Meanwhile back in their day, well, if you kept the minimum wage adjusted for inflation it'd be over $10 by now. College was like $600 and you didn't frequently end up paying over half your paycheck for rent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

Why haven't americans done a mass exodus yet

Why still live in your country

That's actually happening. Americans with the means to do so that are well educated but buried in student debt are finding work in other countries. A very real issue is that a lot of highly educated Americans are completely failing to find work or are only finding bullshit McJobs. There are other countries going "gently caress yeah, we'll take you!" I think Germany in particular has been taking in gently caress tons of emigrants in general while German companies are being like "ooohhhhhh, educated Americans! Yes, we'll take them all."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

20 days are the legal minimum in Germany, but almost everyone gets 30 days. Employers are required to pay you normal wages during that time. Not getting paid during vacation is mind-boggling to me. How are you expected to survive in a month where you take a two week vacation or something. You save up for you r vacation? :psyduck:

It depends on the company, really. There are no legal requirements for what PTO is or how it's implemented so of course some companies have horrid policies to the surprise of basically nobody. Others are decent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I wouldn't even know where to start and what's valuable these days.

Last time I did any coding was in C but that was 15 years ago and I don't remember any of it.
I could hack some VB, maybe haha.

Eh, if you did it once it'll come back. C is still around and Java traces back to C so going from that to Java won't be too hard. Same with C#; it's just all C in the end.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I get to slowly cripple myself for barely over minimum wage to make a billionaire richer. Radical.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

Christianity is a loving joke and I don't care if that makes me sound like an edgy kid on Reddit. It sucks.

Eh depends on the flavor. In America we went whole hog on the prosperity gospel and Calvinism. The stuff that Jesus actually taught is rad as hell but the summary is basically "dont be a greedy rear end in a top hat."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

This is what happened to farmers during the great depression. Lots of farmers lost their farms because there was too much food (in spite of propaganda you might have heard about the dust bowl). There was so much food that to bring prices higher, FDR started paying farmers to destroy their livestock and crops. This occurred while food riots and mass hunger permeated the country.

That was a common issue throughout American history really. Farmers were having issues meeting their basic needs because food was too cheap so they'd grow more! Then that would drive the price further down. Meanwhile city folks were going hungry despite the over abundance of food that existed because, surprise surprise, the rich wouldn't pay them enough to meet their basic needs. Food stamps fixed a lot of that mixed with farm subsidies and financial incentives to farmers. This is why there's stuff like minimum prices on milk.

Why did food stamps and free school lunches happen? Because we wanted better soldiers. The military was kvetching that they kept getting scrawny, underfed recruits so the answer was to throw food at poor people. No "hey maybe hunger just sucks and we produce enough food so hey why not, like, feed everybody?" Nah we just need big meat for the grinder.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Skeleton King posted:

Yeah but those plans assume that nothing will go wrong. It can be safely assumed that not every nuke will be able to launch before everyone dies or some of the silos are hit and disabled, and many of the ones that do launch are likely to gently caress up somehow and fail. And if you lose some of your missiles you won’t be wasting your poo poo on South America.

America's nuclear facilities are...well...not exactly well-maintained while those operating them are frequently on drugs. In the unlikely event of total nuclear war there's a lot of nukes that are going to just kind of sit there because gently caress man I'm pressing launch why isn't the thing launching? I keep pressing it! ...wait, this is the microwave. gently caress. PRESS THE LAUNCH BUTTON OH gently caress IT'S GOING OFF IN THE SILO RUN

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We did it with drain cleaner and aluminum. So that's a bomb charge now? Lame.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Len posted:

Don't forget that unless the story was blown way out of proportion a guy in Russia second guessed the computer and didn't nuke everyone when it told him to.

Good thing too because it was literally nothing.

No, that literally happened. It was some kind of programming error that led to the radar saying "holy gently caress a bunch of missiles are on the way!!!" but something looked wrong to the guy. He just kind of went "no, this is a stupid glitch, can we not launch stuff?" Turned out he was right, no missiles had been launched, and Russian missiles kept sitting wherever Russia keeps them.

I forget the details but something about it all just looked off to the guy so he wouldn't launch anything despite the computer pretty much screaming PUSH THE drat BUTTON ALREADY.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

Luckily for humanity, it's very hard to make a nuclear explosive explode... nuclearly. That's one of the biggest challenges beyond just getting enough material to make the bomb, actually - you have to detonate something like 32 or more points on the exact right position around a sphere of explosives at precisely the same time, like within plus or minus less than a microsecond, or the whole thing just explodes normally (and spreads a bunch of uranium around, but uranium by itself isn't dangerously radioactive).

That depends on the kind of bomb. Current bomb designs are designed basically that way because, hey, maybe we shouldn't make it easy to set off something this horribly destructive accidentally.

Early on in the days of nuclear exploration criticality accidents were terrifyingly common. Plutonium in particular really, really wants to go critical and melt everything or engage in some runaway nuclear reaction that blows up. Nuclear weapons aren't necessarily uranium; weapons-grade plutonium exists and is terrifying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bradzilla posted:

Weapons of mass destruction contracted by the federal government to the lowest bidder :capitalism:

The most capitalism thing is Army leadership specifically telling Congress "no more tanks, seriously, we have more than we can ever possibly use" and Congress going "too bad! Have more tanks" because there's money to be made selling tanks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

Kinda like police and prison guard unions lobby to keep marijuana illegal and get more things made illegal.

That and the private prison industry and those making money off of the commissary.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sucrose posted:

An occult themed restaurant would be pretty rad, actually.

http://www.burgatorybar.com/ :shrug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To crap with that. I want a 3d printer that prints 4d printers that print pizzas.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

It's even better than that. I did some backend dev work for the hiring department of a (huge) company a few years ago, and they believe that the tests are real. I was supposed to take the output of the test's API and have it do whatever based on results, and when it came time to test the system, the department's manager was horrified during the live demo when I asked if I should pass or fail the test. "That can't be cheated!"

Also, if you're bored and don't like the companies, take as many of those tests as you can. They're licensed from a third party and there's a per-applicant cost to taking it

It's on the same level of companies deciding that the way to get good programmers is to ask stupid puzzle questions that have exactly nothing to do with programming. A depressing number of managers want to believe that you can filter bad employees out and good employees in with 30 questions or stupid personality test. It turns out these tests benefit the interviewee the most if they lie their faces off. So the kind of person who is likely to be a lovely employee and a thief is more likely to have the best score as they tell you what you want to hear.

There are also people in the huge corporate machine that genuinely believe they can increase company profits by only hiring people of such strong moral fiber that they won't even take a pen from work. Let's be honest here though; who among us hasn't taken a pen home from work even if it wasn't intentional? They're basically chasing perfect robots instead of people as employees. It's bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.

It reminds me of that one Dave Chapelle moment where he talks about job interviews. "Why do you want to work for us? Well you know I've always had a passion for frozen yogurt...I'm loving broke, that's why." You aren't going to find a lot of people with a deep, burning passion for stocking shelves that would do it for free if that were legal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wow, missed opportunity. Should have just been MANDLE and also come in smells like "power tools" and "insecurity."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Trying to figure out why millenials won't buy things while simultaneously deliberately impoverishing them is the most capitalism thing possible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

There was deffo an article about Australian Coast Guard ptsd as a result of finding tons of corpses in the water

lol

:ussr:

You'd be surprised at what can cause PTSD. Soldiers that do all their fighting through drones can get PTSD as can therapists who deal with traumatized people. PTSD is rampant among people that drive trains for a living if they end up with something like a person jumping on the tracks in front of them.

As for the young hating capitalism...well really, can you blame them? They're getting hosed over by it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't really like when this is used as an example of "gosh even these guys get PTSD", because a lot of people think the drone thing is like playing a videogame when in reality there's an awful lot of "go somewhere, blow up some guys and their family in crystal clear HD, then hover around the location for 4 hours and watch their almost-dead bodies crawling around with no legs, shoot the people who come to try to help the injured, then circle around watching them die for another 4 hours because you also have to confirm the kill and make sure the area's completely dead."

A lot of people (especially the military itself) don't take the psychological effects of murdering someone and being forced to watch them slowly die very seriously and it's way hosed up.

Well, yeah, that's exactly the problem; you have a ton of people thinking "well that guy isn't in any danger, how can he possibly develop PTSD?"

Turns out that pushing a "make people die" button can be pretty traumatic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jimmyjams posted:

i like the pouty sad faces. like its just so hard scraping by on $230,000 a year

Yeah, like we're supposed to feel bad that the family making $650,000 a year will take home $21,000 less. You know, more than a significant chunk of Americans make in a year. Oh boo hoo, poor them, they might have to sell one of their yachts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

I wonder why Kanye is multiple millions in debt with winners like these

Celebrities being bad with money will always amuse me. "Wow, I have like $100,000,000! That's the same as having infinite money, right?"

...no. No it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

So "mad with power" isn't just a saying? Criminy.