Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

THE POSTER'S CREED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
People's inability to understand that caring about esoteric politics stuff like this is a luxury, even if what's happening is actually loving crazy and has big ramifications, will always baffle me. I guess it's because they still are convinced of the meritocracy and the fairness of the market, and that people being so poor and with such real pressing problems that they don't have time to think about these kinds of politics can't enter into the picture. But it's staring them right in the face; people don't give a poo poo about these frankly fuckin' crazy revelations because they have no shits to give.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Serf posted:

what gets me is people going "please don't talk about politics, i want to never hear about what is happening in the world"

like wake the gently caress up

knowing what happens sucks though

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Just kick him out of the loving party already

Can the dems do that? Like, CAN you kick people outta the party?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jerkoff Jackpot posted:

HA you're kidding right?

:decorum:

I'm not asking if they WILL, I'm asking if it's even possible

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

because I had to edit out the line where they called for the execution of a sitting congressman

Why delete it?

'scool

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
he CAMPAIGNED on it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

he also campaigned on closing guantanamo.

People I knew went crazy over how I didn't vote for him in 2012 cause he didn't close Guantanamo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I know it's common in the succ zone to downplay this russia stuff cause it's a good excuse for the dems to do ffffffffuckin' nothing, but there was a russian spy doing poo poo with the NRA and 12 russian agents were indited for election bullshit and Trump straight up said it was a good idea for russia to help with the investigation by having their agents come look at our election infrastructure; this is... kinda a bit of a holy poo poo they're jsut saying it out loud moment?

I think the best thing to do is kinda what Bernie said; tie it into international oligarchs running everything. Cause that's what russia is, it's the end result of rich assholes stealing all the state's resources and becoming SUPER rich assholes who run their country and want more money. I think it's a mistake to wave this away, one because it's kinda bonkers and no one should be meddling in elections, including us and we do it all the time; and two because it makes every republican look really bad and their whole party needs to be destroyed for us to make progress.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

If dems are gonna talk about the Russia investigation, it should be pointed out that the pot of gold at the end of the Mueller rainbow isn't going to be some nebulous "collusion" charge (which is true, but who cares? and as said, we've meddled in more countries internal politics then anyone) but the decades of financial crimes that Trump and the GOP have committed, defrauding anyone and everyone they could.

Even when we do catch these rich fuckers red-handed we're lucky to get a slap on the wrist. We don't even have to go far for an example, as the $25 million Trump university settlement, which scammed thousands of American's who thought Trump was a financial genius ended up costing him not even 1% of his net worth.

Jailing these fuckers on the billions of dollars they've laundered, defrauded and stolen from the American people would be a good start to letting the rest of them know they're not above the law. I don't have any faith that's what is actually gonna happen but it sounds nice.

I agree, this is an example of how the ultra rich just skate above the law and can influence anything because of this.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

We're LITERALLY tearing kids from their parents and they come out months later covered in lice, and this is the most he's got

gently caress Obama is garbage

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Modus Pwnens posted:

Weren't charter schools originally a progressive/union-backed idea in MA before it got coopted by union/government-busters?

E: Like the quote in that article is from 2003 and she's writing about ways to untie schools from property taxes

Oh, that might be exculpatory

Cause yeah, Charters were originally a "hey, what if the teachers owned the schools and could set the lesson plans and all that" sort of idea if I remember correctly, and then got IMMEDIATELY co-opted because that wasn't explicitly what they were.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I'm so bummed this probably didn't happen cause god it'd be so good if it did

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
This might be the most Obama
Sounds witty, kinda SOUNDS smart, but then you realize it's both empty advice and also can lead you to actually implementing horrifying things in a way that makes them both effective and intractable. No, it's the other way around: always be sure you're doing the right thing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

Really wishing 2020 was here so we can get this poo poo over with.

yeah should I plan to live past that year or not, just let me know

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Al! posted:

probably the only parts of this country where her politics actually wouldnt play is manhattan, san francisco, and the rocky mountain hell states like utah and idaho

"It's hosed up that a tiny group has all the power!"

*tiny group that has all the power* "well this won't go over well in the midwest"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

etalian posted:

It's sort of a bad dem give away to believe in things like "re-skilling"

I didn't even think about it until I heard Richard Wolff say it but why the gently caress do we care what skills "the economy" wants? Why aren't we building an economic system that uses what people want to do and know how to do, instead of trying to cram ourselves into the positions that a few rich people can profit from?

I mean we all know why but I had never thought of the economy as a thing that people make, instead thinking about it as some sort of external force that needed to be appeased. We don't need to re-train people, we need to make jobs that they can do.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

This is how you know she's good, that's a joke only good people will get

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

bernie definitely looks older than both of them even though hes like the same age as biden

Bernie looks like a cool old guy, though; he and Corbyn are alike in that way.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Look man, you can't just build a library. :smuggo:

yeah these are the people who would be mystified by "give everyone clean water"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

The problem is the lanyard idea of centrists is "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" which very few people actually believe. The view is just pushed so much because it is disproportionally held by the rich and powerful. A real attempt at a "centrist" candidacy would be the opposite which is basically what campaign Trump pretended to be.

What constitutes social conservatism, though? Like, obvious racism?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Probably cause of the typo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
all I feel is hate

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

What's great about this is people DO want leaders, but those things they said have nothing to do with leadership in the slightest. They really think people are inspired by filed-down technocrats who care so much about padding their resumes with "political accomplishments" that they'll compromise away everything they ever said they wanted to do just so they can say they did something. These people are so sure people look at middle-managers with awe and aspiration instead of contempt or pity.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I can't even understand this. Someone's doing a job, how is this some sort of punishment for them? Do they not get paid or something? Hell, wouldn't it be economically stimulating to smash that star every day?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

frank never says “white working class” anywhere in the article

https://twitter.com/adamserwer/status/1023671895927992321?s=21

Frank WROTE about how the democrats getting tough on immigration and "crime" was a betrayal of the movements that put democrats in office. 3 strikes and mandatory minimums and illegal entry being a deportable offense were all Clinton policies.

But no, dude's projected so hard he's writing about himself in his very tweet

Also New York City is the home of international finance. The reason NY succdems are both so powerful and so lovely is because they are hooked into the very heart of capitalism

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 30, 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Who finds this inspiring

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Schumer is a massive joke who's unwillingness to even do the bare minimum his position demands has completly destroyed any authority he has. Any attempt to threaten anyone would be met with riotous and well deserved laughter and if he had any self awareness he would step down as leader after the midterms.

He won't ofc so it will be a massive fight to boot the useless poo poo out. Most jarringly it won't even be due to any particular skill or cunning on his part, it'll just be because the system automatically protects fucks like him.

It's really amazing, the guy is just entrenched in the entire political system in New York as well as being one of the most powerful people in the Senate and he's got the worst instincts of any politician I've ever seen. He's not even able to trick people into thinking he's good, he's just somehow made it to a position where it's impossible to dislodge him because of all the power he has but it's obvious he's a lovely politician who can't make anyone do anything.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I hate that motherfucker so much

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Centrists are going to destroy america because they won't get out of the god drat way of the leftists and will continue to just let the facists get everything

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

there was a massive shitstorm locally (that the news didn't cover because gently caress the hicks in the sierras) but once some dude and his wife made a ton of lemonade and headed out to a bunch of people cutting a fire break to hand it out. anyway the prison guards wouldn't let them give it to the prisoner firefighters lmfao

It's times where you gotta wonder who doesn't look at themselves doing that and goes "oh, I'm going to hell huh"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

wow this might be the succiest ad i’ve ever seen—something beyond succ, just vile

https://twitter.com/kathyhochul/status/1025469775949049856?s=21

This black man has DEBT.

Do YOU trust a MAN with DEBT?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The dem canidate supports medicare for all, 15 dollar minimum wage, marijuana legalization and punishing opioid companies

He, however, doesn't seem to be an inspiring campaigner(although he DID enter a destruction derby) and this district is full of the archetypal Chuds. I really hope this arrest effects the race, cause Collins is a cowardly shitbag. Like, when that one gut got his balls shot off he made a statement about how the LEFT is getting DANGEROUS because we put post-its on his HQ cause he never does any town halls.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Oh hey he's decent them. I hope this embolds him

Yeah he's OK

https://twitter.com/Nate_McMurray/status/1026456881919913985

https://twitter.com/Nate_McMurray/status/1026109527945560064

https://twitter.com/Nate_McMurray/status/1026104459397607424

But he's not... maybe a Good Dem. He supports Hochul, he gets a lot of personal money from ICE space rental. But on the issues, he says he's for good things; although he owes his support to the NY democratic party so I'm unsure how well he'd hold up. Better than fuckin' Collins at least. I wasn't gonna like... go to bat for him, because he's a long shot and he's hooked in to a lot of succdem networks. But if Collins is really hobbled by these charges, then there might be an opening to get him in and actually try and hold him to what he says he wants to do.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Dante needs to get that succ so he realizes these people are smooth brain chuds and aren’t representative of anything or anyone

Who's this guy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Shapiro's popularity is... perplexing. He's always been the very picture of the kid who thinks he's better than everyone else because he finished his homework early, and nothing he's ever said has been anything other than the same kind of open advocacy of extermination of Muslims and tax cuts for billionaire economics that everyone on the right does. there's nothing interesting or new about him, other than the fact that he looks like the smug dickhole he is.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Obama PERSONALLY getting involved to put Perez as the head of the DNC is still so fuckin' funny to me, it's like the only thing he did before loving off forever to flock with the billionares

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Russia is the end result of a kleptocracy, it'd be hilarious if they ended up helping the garbage people in this country fully take over everything the same way we helped the garbage people in their country own everything there

But like... it wouldn't be good

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
there's legit bonkers stuff being talked about with manafort and trump's stupid kids, and like a week ago a talking point the president was using was "collusion isn't a crime"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Hey remember when Barack Obama, a non-Russian asset, oversaw one of the greatest transfers of wealth from the poor and the middle class to the banks in all of American history via the bailouts? Was that not a President being compromised by oligarchs?

no one in c-spam is gonna disagree with this