Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

Ghostbusters 2 was rushed up because of the release of Batman the same summer. If they had time for a few reshoots I think it could have been considerably better.

It did have re-shoots. They wrapped in early February, when Reitman and Ramis (who were editing the movie with Sheldon Kahn) realized that it had serious holes. So Ramis and Aykroyd hunkered down to put together another draft, dated February 27. They were re-shooting until early April, which drat near gave ILM's B-team a heart attack because they had no time to get the effects done (I believe they wound up drafting Apogee, VCE and Tippett Studios to offload work in order to get the movie done on time).

Re-shoots wouldn't have saved the movie, because it was fundamentally flawed at the conceptual stage: Because Ramis and Aykroyd didn't want to make the movie, they just wound up writing a beat-for-beat remake of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

So if Akroyd (Goddamn for reals?) didn't want to make Ghostbusters 2 of all people, where did he get the boner for 3? Trying to revisit popularity? Why did they all hate something so beloved?

Aykroyd was the most willing of the principals to make a sequel, but that's because he's bugnuts crazy. It wasn't until Columbia left dump trucks full of money on the doors of Murray, Ramis, Aykroyd and Reitman that everyone finally sighed and said, "Okay, Danny, what have you got for ideas?" (That's also why they banded together with Michael Ovitz, who had the infamous "no further Ghostbusters movie can be made unless all of us sign off on it" clause written into their GB2 deals.)

Ever since then, he's been trying to get his god-loving-awful Hellbent script made.

But Blues Brothers 2000 and motherfucking Year One should have been enough to disabuse anyone of the notion that Aykroyd or Ramis had anything left in the tank.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

PS how do you know so much about restaurants in Madison?

Because I've lived here for almost nine years?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sean10mm posted:

Has anyone done a post-mortem on what went wrong with Ghostbusters 2016? I don't mean garbage written by chuds mad that they let girls in the treehouse, but how it ended up being a mediocre movie that kind of just tanked at the box office in spite of seemingly being set up for success in a lot of ways.

One of the biggest problems with GB2016, to me at least, was the endless callbacks and cameos. Bill Murray's part was absolutely painful to watch, the cut on Annie Potts' "Whadd'ya want?" is so terribly awkward, etc. The only one that didn't make me cringe was Ernie Hudson showing up at the end.

There's still a lot to like in the movie (and the extended cut on Blu-ray fills in a lot of holes, like why Erin is suddenly alone in her apartment and not with the other Ghostbusters; at the same time it swaps some jokes from the theatrical cut and they really, really don't land).

I don't have the near-encyclopedic knowledge about GB2016 that I do the other two films, but the Sony leak made it clear that Sony very much wanted to cash in on Ghostbusters nostalgia, to the point that Amy Pascal seriously considered ordering Sony's legal team to sue Murray for breach of contract. After it became clear, in no uncertain terms, that Murray wouldn't do the movie, and then Ramis died*, that's when Sony started calling every comedy director in Hollywood asking for a pitch for a remake. I mean, Feig is a talented director, but I don't think he was the right fit for an effects-heavy movie.

* I still think it was incredibly ghoulish for Reitman and Aykroyd to have been talking about doing GB3 and saying poo poo like "yeah, we're hoping to shoot later this year," when Ramis couldn't loving walk for the last several years of his life.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

The film had a bad director. That's the crux of it

Again, I don't think the issue is that Feig is a bad director. Bridesmaids, Spy, The Heat and Freaks & Geeks should prove that. (And let's face it: If it weren't for Stripes and the first Ghostbusters, Ivan Reitman would be an afterthought in the canon, so let's not say he's a god among men, either.)

I think the issue with GB2016 is that it was a studio-mandated movie that had far too many cooks in the kitchen. Aykroyd himself, for example, is on record as saying that he was constantly giving notes on the script, and Aykroyd lost the plot decades ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm about to visit NYC for the first time with my boyfriend in a month, and yeah the Firehouse is definitely on my list of things to see. I'm glad to hear all the scaffolding is down now.

The firemen love having tourists / visitors, and at least the last time I was there they still have the GB2 sign in the garage.

deoju posted:

I visited New York about two years ago and I noticed a couple of things about the geography of the film. It's totally correct. It doesn't play fast and loose with the shape of the city.

Yeah, despite the bulk of it being shot in Los Angeles (with New York being primarily used for exteriors and establishing shots), the geography of the movie absolutely holds up. Come to think of it, that's actually a big issue with GB2016, because downtown Boston looks absolutely nothing like New York.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember the part where they're in jail and Venkman loudly talks about having sex with a possessed Dana, which gets all the prisoners' attention.

He's talking about when she starts levitating off the bed and making otherworldly growls and whatnot (after which he presumably injects her with 300cc of thorazine, which I still wonder why he'd have with him on a date; I once got an IV dosage around that level over a few hours and I was out cold for nearly a day).

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 4, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, really? That's good to know! :3:

Yeah, they're really cool about it as long as, you know, they're not on a call. They'll let you go in, take photos of the GB2 sign, pose in front of the building, whatever. I went there a few times when I lived in Baltimore (I had to travel to New York quite a bit for work) and every time the guys were happy to let me just walk around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Does the pole still work?

... in fairness I have never asked. I haven't been there in a few years, though, so someone more local might be better able to answer than myself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I’d have loved to look inside but I’d have felt bad ringing the doorbell or something.

The firefighters there are used to tourists and are happy to let them have a look around (although the actual firehouse interior shots in the movies were done in Los Angeles).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's, uh, relatively easy to tell when a firehouse is busy. :v:

Anyway, the guys there are really nice, and they still have the GB2 sign in the garage. They even let me turn on the lights and honk one of the engine horns. :unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

Oof that Murray cameo was absolutely dreadful. It couldn't be any more obvious he didn't want to be there. Oh now I'm thinking about how Paul Feig is such a bad director again! *insert a 2 minute improv back-and-forth while a third party looks on annoyed here*

I generally enjoy GB2016 and I have the Blu-ray, but the slavish cameos and callbacks to the original movie are the weakest part of it by far. And, yeah, the Murray bit was just so painful, and to make matters worse, it went on for-loving-ever. The only cameo that didn't make me groan was Ernie Hudson's.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I really need to watch some long plays of the Ghostbusters game, apparently it's real good and essentially is what Ghostbuster 3 would have been if it was made in the early 90s?

That was PR fluff. It was billed as what Aykroyd considered Ghostbusters 3, but he and Ramis had very little involvement in writing the story and script. Three Terminal Reality writers put together everything, and then gave it to Ramis & Aykroyd to touch it up; by Ramis' own admission, "they couldn't have paid us enough to make it a really funny script."

The GB3 Aykroyd has been trying to get made since the '90s is Hellbent, in which Hell begins encroaching upon Earth, and the Ghostbusters wind up battling Satan, depicted as a Trump analogue named Luke Sifler. (Get it? Lucifer? HAHAHAHAHA oh gently caress off, Danny, just go sell your crystal skull vodka.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's a crime that they never let you drive Ecto-1 in the game :mad:

What makes it worse is that there's a mission around 2/3rds of the way in where they really let you think you're about to get to drive it. One of the Ghostbusters says "why don't we let the rookie drive?" and then a second later another one goes "naaaah".

Given the turbulent development history of The Video Game, it's a miracle that it ever actually came out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrJacobs posted:

didn't they lose their deal with activision so they scrambled to find a new publisher in Atari?

Yeah, when Vivendi merged and Activision Blizzard was created, they cut most of the projects in development at Vivendi. Additionally, the Infernal Engine was held together with toothpicks and prayers, and was a beast to get working on the PS3. The game's script was rewritten from the ground-up at least three times. And no one knew whether or Bill Murray would actually show up to record his lines, as he kept missing his scheduled sessions, so Aykroyd and Hudson wound up recording a bunch of his dialogue in case he backed out. (Murray eventually showed up for about a day's worth of recording.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Him at the beginning is awesome. "I've got to get my own lawyer."

... that line is from the first movie, when they're all in jail.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Then what did he say in the court room when they were about to go on trial?

He tells them the judge is an rear end in a top hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

:same:

It’s a shame GB2 gets almost dumped to the wayside, when I’d be more than interested to see some behind the scenes info about it. I can imagine even Danny would be willing to do a commentary on it.

Aykroyd says he recorded a commentary, but I imagine that GB1+2 Blu-ray pack is the last we'll ever see from that movie.

Fart City posted:

The cut stuff from GB2 just sounds so utterly bizarre, it almost seems like a completely different movie was built from the pieces. I'd really love to see how the full possession subplot was supposed to unfold.

A huge chunk of it was re-shot late in production (they were doing re-shoots well into March of 1989, and the movie was due in June), and the cut scenes we do have are interesting in that they're basically alternate versions of what's in the final film.

And yet we still haven't gotten to see the scenes of Eugene Levy as Sherman Tully. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

No

But Slimer can.

Ugh.

Slimer driving the Ecto-1 while jabbering like an utterly insane maniac gets me every time I watch GB2016.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh but I woo!

That's one of the more impressive effects sequences in the entire film, just because of the complexity. First they had to shoot the plate of MacNicol walking down the hall, shifting his head from right to left and back. Then they had to shoot someone walking down the hall with a flashlight, making sure the light's shine on the wall and movements were exactly tracked to match MacNicol's. And then finally the effects team had to animate the eyebeams to match everything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Also, how did you find that out? There's very little out there on the making of GB2.

Cinefex did an extensive writeup on the film's VFX back in late 1989. I have the issue in a box somewhere in my extra bedroom.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, improvisation was a key part of the first film's success

This is one of those things that's become generally accepted to the point that people think Murray was freestyling through most of the movie, but it really isn't true. Lines were shifted here and there on the set (some of Louis' dialogue, for example, when he's doing his tour through his party was changed), but generally speaking, everything in the finished movie was in the final shooting script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Goddamit Reitman, get on it. <:mad:>

Reprising the character would mean a direct sequel, and Murray, Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman would all need to sign off on that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kemper Boyd posted:

Except for that time he thought the Coen brothers were doing the Garfield movie and he signed on as a voice actor because of that.

He was kidding.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if it's the GB2 commentary that Aykroyd said he recorded back in 2009.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wasn't to see more of the jewelry store they trash with that elaborate trap system in the montage in Ghostbusters 2. That had to be a cut down scene.

The montage is almost exclusively bits from cut scenes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

drat, they couldn't have tried less to blend that together.

Seriously, it's like they took the selection tool in Photoshop, selected "Feather," set it 20 px, and then hit Delete a few times.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

And it really is cool to know that he does love Ghostbusters and considers it a great movie (it's the best movie)

Venkman is one of Murray's favorite roles and he's very protective of the movie. There's a reason he continues to block Ghostbusters 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

The PC port was an absolute wreck, and failed to work properly.

Did you pirate it? The game was coded to make the candelabras invulnerable if it detected that it was a pirated version. ;)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, I never played the PC port. By all accounts, keyboard/mouse didn’t work properly for it because it was made for controllers. But it was graphically superior, so this new remastered version may just be the PC version rejigged for current gem consoles.

I don't have my 360 anymore (my ex-wife kept it), so I'd really like to play the game again, but I'm going to wait for reviews. By all accounts, the game was a programming nightmare due to Terminal Reality's Infernal Engine, which was held together by toothpicks, gum, duct tape and the blood of the wretched and the damned, so I'm not sure how well it will translate to the PS4 / Xbone, considering they both run on x86 architecture as opposed to the POWER-based PS3 / 360.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mostly just remember the Wii version of the Ghostbusters game was made differently and had cartoon designs of the characters instead.

The Wii version had a cartoon aesthetic because the system really couldn't handle the graphics of the PS3 / 360 versions (since it was basically a GameCube with a turbocharger), and while it shortened and changed the story quite a bit, it does have an advantage in that the trapping mechanic is continued much later through the game. After the second or third level, the 360 / PS3 version basically becomes a Gears of War knockoff shooter with Ghostbusters accoutrements.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

I'm not sure, but Egon might be out of frame in the 4:3 VHS/TV version.

He's in-frame during the pricing scene, but he's cropped out when they first enter the hotel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I cannot loving wait for the Internet to implode when it's revealed that after everyone has been assuming that this is Ghostbusters 3, it isn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

My best to the Covenant.

Coven. As in witches.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karloff posted:

I was watching the Ghostbusters 2 deleted scenes on youtube and I got to thinking about this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQt9qDxOjOA&t=404s, where the Mayor's assistant is sucked into the slime, leaving only smoking shoes behind. The effects aren't finished so it's not quite clear what's happened to him, but is the implication here that he's dead, melted by the slime or something? In the finished film you see him singing with the crowd at the end, so he doesn't die in the final film, but I know there's a lot of alternate takes and differences between what was planned and what ended up in the final cut. Case in point; this scene shows Venkman informing the Mayor of the Ghostbusters being institutionalised, which is played as something that's new to the Mayor, whereas in the final film the Mayor learns this earlier and fires his assistant as a result.

Hardemeyer was sucked into the slime in the original shoot and while I don't have my February shooting script on me, I don't believe he ever returned. A lot of the stuff outside the museum was very heavily re-shot in March and April 1989, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ehud posted:

I have that whole party scene memorized. It's such a great performance.

One of the most clever bits of writing and directing in an already clever movie.

My biggest laugh in Ghostbusters has always been Egon backing into the corner of the elevator after Ray's pack gets turned on. Just a wonderful sight gag.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Probably the easiest gag to miss watching Ghostbusters on t.v. was the scene where Egon is giving Peter hints about how to negotiate the price with the hotel manager. He's standing off to the side so with pan and scan he got clipped out.

Yep, I never noticed that until I got the DVD (first DVD I ever owned, the original 1999 one).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ehud posted:

The way Louis introduces guests by explaining their financial situation is the best. I like to imagine he did that every time somebody came to the party.

The best part about that is Louis, because he has no social instincts whatsoever, literally telling everyone that Ted and Annette are broke, because Ted's carpet-cleaning business is bankrupt and their only income is Annette's deferred bonus from two years ago (and they have an absurdly high mortgage rate).

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 23, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I never noticed before how deliberately dorky-looking a lot of his guests are in that scene. And it cracked me up how quickly that impossibly attractive blonde woman changes her mind about staying at the party once Lewis suggests dancing.

Casey Kasem's wife, I believe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's also wonderful that Vinz Clortho, the KEYmaster, possesses the body of someone who is notorious for locking himself out of his own apartment.

It is also a sex joke

The key is his penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was it a different prop?

I'm pretty sure they got the original Ectomobile because it was cheap as hell.

The original Ecto-1 broke down during filming of GB2 (it actually carked it when they were filming the car going across the bridge, as seen in the montage), so the production had to scramble to get its hands on another 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor end-loader hearse, which was rather difficult as there were very few of that specific model that were ever produced. (Most of the fan cars you see at conventions, for example, are 1960-62 models that have been extensively modded by fans ... or you get the goobers who trick out their Subaru Outbacks or whatever and call it the Ecto-1.)

That being said, Ecto-1A was always going to be A Thing, because Columbia insisted that the movie be more toyetic than the first (due to the massive popularity of The Real Ghostbusters, which is the whole reason Columbia was pushing for the movie to be made in the first place).