Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
With the new update and the ability for other players to murder you, I think it will be time to retire my Hardcore character that I got to the center of the galaxy.

Not that I'm going to miss it, 200 plutonium to launch was a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

xilni posted:

How long does it take to do that if you just beeline to center?

About 300 jumps in a fully upgraded freighter. I was primarily going for the achievement, so I stockpiled warp fuel.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Now that they have an actual coordinate system, I'm very tempted to try to make a map of an awesome planet I found. Granted if these planets are really planet sized, I would have to settle on a smaller map.

That said, I really wish they had maps in this game, but it might be fun to try and make my own. I could even use triangulation to figure out coastlines and stuff too. I wonder if there is a way to see your current elevation.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

So has anyone gotten any of the ground vehicles yet? What do you have to do to unlock them?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

In the last patch my crowning achievement was getting to the center of the galaxy on Hardcore, so here are some tips for all types of players, but this list is mostly geared towards new players.

1. Learn how to boost jump. To do this, melee attack and then jetpack at practically the same time (melee attack comes first). This will make you move significantly faster then just running and boosting.
2. You can outrun pirates that scan you quite easily. Just continue boosting in one direction and eventually you can hyperdrive again.
3. Landing at designated landing spots on planets will save you time hunting for fuel to takeoff, and also protect you from when you get a planet with really crappy conditions. You can also call your ship to places with a landing pad (or post) with a navigational data and it will not cost you any fuel to do so.
4. Sentinels are pretty easy to avoid once you know what you are doing. They always appear on your hud with a white arrow pointing to a nearby one. To be safe, just don't mine when they are around. If they turn blue, you can either run, or just let them scan you (and not do any more mining until they do).
5. Escaping from Sentinels are pretty easy, as long as you have learned to boost jump. Just try to break line of sight and keep moving, don't mine while being chased because that seems to reset the chase timer, even when they can't see you do it.
6. Always try to keep a full stack of the important materials for your survival, these are Oxygen, Carbon and Sodium. You should get the cargo exosuit upgrade when you choose a slot (click the icon on the backpack itself when you are in the inventory), and place these in there.
7. Scan every plant and animal you come across. Also make sure to upload your discoveries, as it gives you additional nanites which are used for upgrades.
8. Hate a planet and everything in it? Just leave, as there are plenty of other planets out there with the resources you need.
9. Once you get a AtlasPass v1, you should have this permanently in your inventory, as it's best function opens those long red cylinder containers on the ground that contain things that will help you build warp fuel (or it just gives it to you outright). With this upgrade, in the beginning of the game, I've rarely had to craft my own fuel. v2 and v3 are basically worthless, so don't worry about those.
10. Certain base blueprints only open up when you do the base quests, for example beacons which mark a location on a world, or different exocraft. To even start these you need to place a round room and then the quest line will begin. Keep in mind you will need a door to do this. overseer station somewhere in your base.
11. Do the base station quests as soon as you can. One of these opens the medium refiner which, while not portable, can combine elements to get way better yields on chromatic metals, amongst a ton of other stuff. The countdown for the next item when doing these station quests do not begin until you build the last item it suggests.
12. If you are trying to scan all the creatures on a world, typically they have this sort of combination for worlds with water: 2 flying, 2 normal fish, 1 predator fish, 1 creature that lives in caves, and everything else). Occasionally some creatures will only come out at night. When you get all the creatures scanned on a world you have to click and hold on the paw icon next to the number of creatures in the discovery menu to get your nanite reward.
13. Ships that land at the trading post have different items for sale then the actual trading computer and the space station. Later in the game you can buy most of what you need here, rather then actually mining. You can upgrade your ship to scan for these trading posts automatically.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 31, 2018

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Doesn't even need to be a full shack, I built one on just a single floor plate piece.

This isn't the terminal quests, this is actually the base quest, where you have to hire different aliens to come work for you. I believe their workstations only can be placed in the circular rooms.

SoulChicken posted:

How do I start the base quests?

In the blueprint scanner, you need to purchase the circular room and the door blueprints, and then plop down one of the circular rooms and add a door. You should then be able to place a overseer'er terminal.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 31, 2018

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

What do you guys mean by station quests? When you ask them for directions? Perhaps I just haven't locked more stuff yet, because the mission guy won't say anything to me.

On the right side of the space station there are several people in booths. One of them gives you quests which often give nanites when you complete them. You can have more then one going at the same time.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It worked for the farm terminal at least. I built the others in circular rooms because I had the same assumption, but for the farm I was like "gently caress building a fourth one of these, does anything else work?"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

No I meant workstations originally. I just placed one on a wooden platform and recruited my Overseer, so it doesn't need to be in a circular room.

Ahh, it's nice they changed this. Time to tear down my circular rooms then.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

One thing I've noticed since I've bought the PS4 version of this, and have mostly been playing the PC version prior...

Apparently on the PS4 version they do not label what the Resource deposits are before you travel to them. On the PC, they say something like "Copper Deposit", but on the PS4 it simply says "Resource Deposit". Any idea what's going on with this?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Dont Touch ME posted:

I dont even know how the hell you're even supposed to get there. I moved the camera forward while pressing shift and pointing at the core on the map for a minute and my marker didn't even really move on the minimap. I can't even imagine how many jumps it takes.

I keep starting new saves, getting 5 hours in and then feeling overwhelmed with all the 5 million different quests happening. The dumb main quest keeps breaking sequence too. I'm pretty sure I already figured out the narrative twist because there is a huge disconnect between the nada and polo thing and the apollo quest.

I love this game but you can really tell where they spliced a bunch of stuff on top of the original release.

I got to the center on hardcore mode and honestly, while being a fun thing to shoot for, it wasn't really worth it. In the end, you just fill out all your inventory with freighter fuel, and sit in your freighter with a decent jump distance, and after spending several hours in the ship and the galaxy screen, you are rewarded with a brief poem and them, boom into a new galaxy.

Once you have the materials you need, it's pretty easy. Hell, even if you <i>don't</i> you can simply wait in your freighter for other ships to dock and just buy all their stuff, or if you are really enterprising, just go on down to a planetary trade system and buy what you need there.

It was a fun challenge to do, but you are not missing much by avoiding it entirely.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Alpine Mustache posted:

It's 3000, but the destination systems are different on PS4 than they are on PC/Xbox for some reason. So 1800 + 1200 between the two platforms, unfortunately.
Still really impressive though.

I wish there was a quick explainer on what you need to do to put info in to add to it. the link they give just takes you to a Google doc

All you have to do is put a line in the spreadsheet on the Log Black Holes tab, and some administrator goes through and puts them in the main database. Seems pretty insecure but it's a start.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

The Black Hole Suns are having a contest/raffle right now where you receive one entry every ten black holes you log. Prizes are an Oculus Rift, PS4 VR, or a $300 gift card depending on what platform you submit holes for.

More details are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/c7shbn/announcing_the_beyond_black_holes_contest/

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

I've been noticing a significant decline in finding creatures on planets since the desolation update, specifically when going to new planets that haven't been discovered prior to the patch. Sometimes I can go 10+ minutes on planets with 15+ different species on it and not see a single one. Has anyone else noticed this?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Loving the new update! Glad they finally started adding more variety to things.

Edit: It looks even cooler at night

Solvency fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 23, 2020

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently really asymmetric ships are a thing now?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Exploring a new planet and thought I saw a UFO...

Turns out it's one of the new burrowing creatures. This one looks crazy, and here it is in mid jump.

Libluini posted:

I have one looking almost exactly like this. I got it in 2016.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was new or not, or if I just noticed it today. It's a neat cockpit.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently they have rolling eyeballs on planets now. I can't decide if this is frightening or if I just feel sorry for the creature.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Best part of this update is you can now find quicksilver in the derelict freighters. I've noticed 15 on a container. Also you now get nanites from just looking at the logs scattered about, I don't think they rewarded anything previously.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Logs used to reward nanites pre-patch. Lots of stuff in freighters can reward nanites: the briefcases, the logs, and most of the stuff like slime refines into nanites. That plus the captains log and the crew manifest makes the freighters pretty decent for nanites if you don't feel like ship flipping or finding stations with pugneum.

Logs don't give nanites anymore, they give a new currency, Tainted Metal, that can be used at the scrap dealer for more cosmetics and the other stuff they used to sell for nanites.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

inkmoth posted:

Has anyone managed to tame any of the really weird creatures on exotic planets? I just downloaded the update, but haven’t had much luck capturing any abominations yet... though all I’ve tried is throwing basic food on the ground

I'm pretty sure you can't tame anything that you can't interact with when you get close. I tried to tame those rolling abominations, and they don't' really even move, and was never able to get the prompt. This also means you can't tame flying creatures, digging creatures, and yes, the giant worms.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

In a previous update Sean Murray did an orange emoji for Origins.

Going by that same logic, the compass emoji is short for Custom rear end. You now get a slider to personalize your traveler's booty.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Twibbit posted:

Compassion. Now you can kiss all the aliens!

Finally you can live out the true life of a starship captain.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Tabletops posted:

is this... hacked or something? no idea how i got it but i could have sworn exotic ships had like 20 slots max.

They used to only get to that large back in the day, but you can expand ship size and even increase it's class in the space station now.

Note: Increasing an exotic to be a max sized ship takes literally billions of dollars, but it can be made cheaper by finding and scraping other ships and using the ship expansion modules to increase it's size for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, seems not getting settlement requests is a common occurrence as lots are complaining about it. It's probably time gated, but you'd think it'd be at least once every 24 hours, not whatever it currently is.