Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I just got the game a few weeks ago. I don't think there's anything you need to keep that you can't find again later.

In survival where you're limited to 250 per slot, I just sell everything except one or two stacks of the basics like carbon, sodium, oxygen, cobalt, ferrite. You can use that money to buy extra inventory slots at space stations. The guy that sells exosuit upgrades has a machine behind him to purchase a slot. I never knew it was there until I watched someone else play. You can use it once per station. You can also find drop pods on planets that will give you another slot when you repair it (at the cost of the materials which is not high).

The whispering egg got me the first time also. Didn't expect that.

Sentinels are annoying, yeah. Pay attention to the sentinel rating on each planet. On some they will attack you on sight, but most will only attack if they see you mining or attacking creatures. Or sometimes they guard certain buildings, where you need to break the door to get in (use your ship guns instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

What's the deal with those distress beacons that don't seem to do anything? They say something about entity deleted, and the only option is to "Broadcast", then it says something about an anomaly. It doesn't seem to give any nanites, items or blueprints.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

What are some basic conveniences and creature comforts I should be getting ahold of ASAP to make the game less grindy? e.g. a bigger backpack or the advanced laser etc?

Unlock the roamer geobay in the anomaly and always carry around the components to make it (ion batteries, paraffinium, metal plates). You can build it on each planet without needing to setup a base, summon the roamer, and then deconstruct the bay. No need to run anymore.

Also see a few posts back about drop pods and expanding inventory.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Use your custom marker to keep track of where the bay is so when you drive for 20 minutes and summon your starship you can fly back and grab your roamer bay materials.

You can remove the bay right away after you spawn the roamer. You'll still be able to use the summon function for the roamer after that since it's already on the same planet. At least, it works that way on PC.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I like how you can choose which maps to buy now. I'm playing ship salvage life right now as I work on making my way towards the core. Use a distress signal map in each system, if it's a beacon or observatory go check it out, otherwise warp to the next system. Crashed ships are pretty rare, but finding one is a nice salvage profit. It costs almost nothing to fix the landing gear, pulse engine and shield to get it back to the station. Last ship I found was a hauler that salvaged for 8 mil plus gave a storage upgrade item that I used on my main ship (which would have cost 60 mil to add a slot).

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I found and claimed a crashed ship early on and fixed some of the parts but not all of them, saved with plans to fix the rest later, and when I logged in again it was gone. Is it just vanished forever or is it in some hidden ship inventory now

Yeah you have a hidden inventory of up to 5 ships. In that pop up menu thing (on PC you press 'X' to bring up the menu, not sure what the button on console is), one of options under summon vehicle is to summon one of your other ships and you'll see it there.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there a way to mark things so I can find them later? I guess I can use base computers, but is there a specific device you can build for marking locations?

Also, I found a new ship that needed repairing. Jumped in and started using it, but then my previous ship just...disappeared. If I go into the quick menu I can still see it, but it's greyed out. Any way to get it back?

There's a save beacon you can put down, but it might only show up if you're on the same planet / system. Sometimes dropping a base computer and teleporter is better if you want something more permanent. Teleporters don't need power to warp to them.

I see some search results saying you might need to have launch fuel in the active ship in order to summon the old ship. Otherwise you might have to wait until you get a freighter and it'll show up on there.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

General_Failure posted:

A couple of questions.
How the hell do I get exocraft blueprints now?

Why the hell is the cargo slot in my exosuit unusable?

2 ways to get blueprints: Buy them in the anomaly for nanites, or follow the story quests until you get to the base expansion stuff and you start hiring people, one of those has quests to unlock exocraft stuff (the vy'keen guy I think). If you can't go to the anomaly yet keep doing the main story.

You probably don't have any cargo slots in your exosuit. That's basically the empty background you see until you get the first cargo slot. You can buy one new slot in each station, there's a machine next to the guy that sells the exosuit upgrades, if you didn't know about it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Another one. Was an update snuck through in the last couple of days? Platinum crystals in asteroid fields have disappeared.

I think some asteroid fields just don't have obvious platinum asteroids. They'll still have platinum asteroids that have a different shape they're just not as obvious as the crystal looking ones. I noticed it a while back when I first started playing so I don't think it was a recent change.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah the puzzles annoy me too. It might not be so bad if most of them didn't require learning an entire language first.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Secure_Sites/Puzzles

Basically I just search that page for the options presented to me and pick one marked positive.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Also for anyone that doesn't know, ion batteries are made from cobalt and ferrite, so find a cave too.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Was there an update today or something? Ever since this morning I'm getting No Connection To Matchmaking Services. I play through GOG which doesn't have an update. I apparently need the matchmaking connection to get the global loop progression. Loop 2 must be done by now, I want those A class fragments.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

if I haven't played in a couple of years should I just reroll at this point?

Nah just play the expedition until you remember how to play then go back to your old save. Quick tips when starting fresh. Find a cave asap and collect cobalt to make ion batteries. Don’t sprint because it drains your life support really fast. Sell animal meat for cash and buy a bunch of life support gel and batteries once you find a trade terminal or make it to the space station. At that point you should have no problem surviving.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rick posted:

I got really confused in the fourth anchor. I ended up in a pit with walls I couldn't go through and I tried to go over it and seemed to be jetting up infinitely, and I had like 1000 oxygen on me so I just kept refilling my life support and just kept coming up; after a minute I decided to try to gently come down but could not because a sentinel was also following me and shooting me as I was going down. I was so far up I probably had time to reload a save or something but I didn't think of it until too late. Ah well

I must have fallen in the same pit. I was driving the nomad at the time so survived the fall. I did the same infinite boost trying to get out but managed to refill my life support when it ran out. Took a short fall and almost died while I did that but made it out on the next boost.

I’m not sure why I didn’t just summon my ship instead.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There is no anti cheat so go ahead and save edit or use mods to get the expedition rewards. There’s been a guy killing people in the anomaly in permadeath mode for the past few weeks by glitching his modded mech into the anomaly. As far as I know he’s still at it. They don’t care about hacking or exploits. So be careful to turn off pvp at least if you’re going to enable multiplayer which should protect you but maybe not.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I was on the part where it wanted me to land on the planet and look for a monolith thing. I had to walk for like five minutes before the scanner finally showed something and said it was over 2000u away.

If you're too far, the scanner reverts to analyze mode, but you can still manually change the mode using the number keys when holding 'F'. It will still give you the direction even though the distance is too far. Use an exocraft (I like the nomad) to get around because sometimes it can be pretty far from where the game has you land and walking 2000m isn't fun. Unlock the exocraft summoning station in the anomaly, which you can pick up and carry after building it, then you can summon the exocraft wherever you go.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There’s mods that make things like that craftable too, so that’s an option if you want to “earn” it by collecting a bunch of other resources.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello I have just started this game. It seems like they change it a lot over time so a lot of the multi-year old posts I find online for help I do not trust. I got Qs:

These sentinel assholes. Are they just intended to drive you away? They hit real hard and seem to respawn infinitely if I fight so I have no option but to flee. Is this just because I'm early game?

Are there fast early game ways to make money? Everything's really expensive and just selling mined resources does not pay much.

Is there a map somewhere I'm missing? I'll get a nav point and then if I don't go there immediately, I lose track of it and it's gone forever. I have a thing in my starter base that's supposed to find map points, but I can't use it anymore because it says it already marked a building. There is no way to find this building again and clear it out as far as I can tell.

What happens if the teleporter at my base runs out of power? It seems like the generator ticks off run time even when I'm not playing, so if I'm away from the game a couple days and it runs out can I just never jump back to my base? I think I saw there is solar power somewhere in the tech tree but I'm nowhere near having that.

Easy way to get money early on is to find a planet with ancient bones and dig those up. They sell for a lot and you can get a few million credits pretty quickly. Usually one of the first things I do during an expedition so I have spending cash.

When scanning planets from space the ancient bones will show up in the list of resources so you don’t have to land on a planet to check for them.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

The trick to permadeath start is find a cave asap. Use the abundant cobalt to make a bunch of ion batteries to keep up your hazard protection.

The achievement is the only reason to do it nowadays though. They have survival mode which is the same difficulty but without the permadeath. So just play that if you want the challenge and make your own permadeath rules so you don’t lose your save game to a bug or hacker in the anomaly.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weeeeelp, lost my 15+ hour permadeath save in a ship battle for a freighter. Zigged when I should have zagged, and I STILL want to keep trying.

Lost my ships, lost my bases (I mean, technically not, but c'mon).

drat that sucks. Did you know you can repair your shield in combat just like you do the hazard protection and oxygen on foot? Also use the lock on / auto follow option, makes it much easier. Somehow your ship can turn much faster using it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

The Engoodening of No Man’s Sky video that made me buy the game was four years ago. That updates are still going is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always thought the cover art ship was just a Radiant Pillar but with a pointy nose. That looks pretty close, though, nice job.

I am having a hell of a time finding ship parts. I can buy ships, sure, but I have like 50M units and they'll go fast if I keep doing this. I get the emergency maps, but more often than not, it's for a crashed freighter or an abandoned building.

If you use the mech to scan for distress signal it’s slightly better than the maps. It’s like 50/50 abandoned ship you can claim, or an actual guy in distress you can help if you want.