Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Devor posted:

How do the sentinel mods work? It seems like they attach to each other, but not other weapon or systems. Are they free floating bonuses that affect everything?

they're weird. the weapon mods only apply to the boltcaster, and exosuit mods only have synergy with shield mods.

game is good. new update is good. working my way through the galaxies on permadeath by core jumping a hauler with 4 working mods and no working exosuit mods except basic hazard protection and jetpack, currently at #27 (Eajerandal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Captain France posted:

Speaking of Royal multitools, they still only come in C-rank, right?

Did they ever come up with a non terrible way to turn some of my basically infinite money into nanites to upgrade one?

(Well I suppose I could just cheat)

you can buy larval and hadal cores at pirate stations and refine them to 50 nanites each. small volume so it'll still take a while, though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Salvaged frigate modules are best found from either Nexus missions (that cube in the middle of the anomaly) or from 'industrial' frigate expeditions. The latter are of course passive quests that your frigates do for you.

Also, when sending out frigates on an expedition make sure your star rating is at least one star greater than the missions itself (so if you want to do a 2 star mission, make sure the fleet you're sending adds up to at least 3 stars).

Those are the only somewhat reliable way to get salvaged frigate modules. Might be able to get some from derelict freighters.

the other way to get sfms is to go to a pirate controlled system and blap freighter cargo pods. you can spawn new npc freighters by pulsing for a second, and the other drops are fairly valuable.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the best way to get nanites is to mow down sentinels with your favorite gun and an ai minotaur, turning the glass into sentinel modules and selling those.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

NMS is weird because by far and away most of the people you interact with are super chill, but the fact that the barrier to entry on high tier stuff is so trivally low between in game duplication tricks and HG's stance on modding (aka "go hog wild") means there's no impetus to not be an rear end in permadeath and it literally only takes one person to screw up a lot of people's days. Case in point, one of the more recent bugs where people were flying ships into the anomaly and someone was like "anyways I started blasting" and permanently ended the saves of a lot of people who forgot that pvp was default enabled.

I don't think I'd be interested in doing a real permadeath save outside of the ones I already did for cheevos (and imo only the early game is interesting, after a point you're functionally immortal and it's just really constrained inventory management), but now that they have custom difficulty sliders if I ever got the itch I'd probably just do "permadeath in all categories outside of save deletion"-- not just because of the pvp, but because despite loving HG to death I'm still painfully aware they still have some random unexpected "fall through your floor" fuckups where the recovery case is "eh, just die in the void of space, the player will respawn anyways"

permadeath owns and I get really bored playing other modes in expeditions. the inventory limits in particular keep the game from turning into creative mode later on. i back up my save files every now and then in case of catastrophic bug, but the closest I've come to that was spawning outside my ship in space once, which I could fix by reentering the ship and warping.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

boltcaster ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I wish there was an automated way to get Ferrite Dust for megaprojects :smith:

get in an interceptor, put a positron ejector with some s-class mods on it and start blapping tiny rocks while you calmly hang in the air. good for carbon too.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

screaden posted:

Is there a better way to repair found ships? It seems like a crazy amount of resources to to fix it all up

pirate stations sell repair modules or whatever they're called.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Run the gently caress away from Sentinels in the early game. The easiest way is to just dig a winding hole and wait til their alert level goes down. DO NOT GET IN YOUR SPACESHIP until this happens, otherwise you'll be fighting waves of interceptors instead.

the first waves of ground sentinels aren't hard to kill at all, and the weapon mods are very strong early game. good nanite source too. don't be afraid of them.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Libluini posted:

true, but I still avoided the little buggers like mad until I had to deal with a settlement

settlements constantly get attacked by waves of low-level sentinels, and the settlement screaming for help motivated me to actually stand and fight

turns out they die pretty easily as long as you have some weapons

Then later I actually had to run away from a swarm of sentinel spaceships after I got too over-eager in killing them. :v:

yeah space sentinels are a lot harder and were a big waste of time the last time I played anyway, but doing a few rounds of two-three sentinel waves on the ground is a killer early game move you don't want to sleep on.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I just started a permadeath run, since I'm trying to get all of the achievements. Good god, it took me 5 tries to actually get my ship up and running, and I'm either very annoyed or scared to death of sentinels. I dig holes to get away from them, but jfc, they won't relent. :negative:

I really wish this game had better enemies.

lol yeah starting a pd run is insanely rng. for sentinels i find it helps to first dig pretty far down and then make a small side tunnel

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you haven't really lived until you fall through your ship while in space or something on your 100 hour permadeath save

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm still playing on my permadeath file, things are going well, but I've warped well over 5 times and haven't run up against the freighter in trouble. Is there a minimum game time in that equation? Is it like 3 hours or something?

Also, what's the best way to get an S or A class freighter? Is there really a difference other than starting stats?

Also also, is it weird and cheat-y to never warp in a freighter and instead just warp with your starship? Or am I misremembering and freighter warps are significantly farther per jump?

the best way to get an S-class freighter is to get a system freighter, which spawn every time you warp within a system, instead of a capital freighter, which only spawn every 5 system warps/3 hours. they also look cooler.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Libluini posted:

I mean, if I actually found a freighter hyperdrive module, I of course would install it, but it seems the game detects my cheeky freighter avoidance, and oblidges me by not giving me poo poo. :v:

freighter modules exclusively drop off those derelict freighters you have to buy a detector for. they're kind of annoying to farm but very nice.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm kinda making my own quick travel system by plopping bases in each galaxy, it's a big part of why i only made it to the 29th when i was galaxy hopping before, otherwise i'd just find a base in 143 that way.

the only pain is that each galaxy jump damages all your poo poo. i solved it by grabbing a junker ship and taking out all my suit and multitool modules before i set out and left all the modules packaged the whole time (i went fron galaxy 12 to 29 in one session over two days), but as i am on permadeath it made me feel very vulnerable as i set up each little base.

core jumping will only damage your currently active multitool, so you don't have to take out the mods, just use a junker mt and swap back when you land in the new galaxy. you should be able to swap to your mt, summon your freighter and then your exocraft so you can be off to find the next portal in a minute after landing. I didn't know that the first time I core jumped into a harsh galaxy on my pd save and it was uhh, closer than I would have liked. goonspeed on your journey.

also, simply not repairing suit mods saves a lot of time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

drat .. might have to come back for that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the game does have a reason for you to need a second multitool, though: core jumping.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can absolutely spend two minutes taking your tech outta the slots before you core jump if you really want to, but the game does give you reasons to have multiple mts. that's 500 minutes swapping mods going to every galaxy. it also doesn't randomly swap mts, you probably just hit the button.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Weeeeelp, lost my 15+ hour permadeath save in a ship battle for a freighter. Zigged when I should have zagged, and I STILL want to keep trying.

Lost my ships, lost my bases (I mean, technically not, but c'mon).

Also, I landed on a planet last night called Beth Prime (undiscovered) and that sounds VERY familiar. I googled it and all I got were Rick and Morty links, and I've never watched that show, so :shrug:

if it makes you feel any better, I lost my first pd save at 30 hours to jumping off a planetary trade station and dying unceremoniously of falling damage. :3:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

marktheando posted:

The thing I'm wondering about currently is how to get rid of these 4 billion nanites i got from the bugged station merchant.

save editor

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's very easy to get an S freighter if you just go for a system freighter instead of a capital one, since they spawn every time you warp in-system. they look cooler too. so just take the first capital freighter you get for the free freighter and then get a good one when you have money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lordshmee posted:

Oh my…. I knew that my stuff would be damaged when transferring to a new galaxy, but I had no idea just how bad it would be. Compounding this horror, I went in my Sentinel interceptor, so now I need a bunch of corrupted sentinel components to repair. So now I get to figure out how to acquire that stuff. When I reinitialized, I thought it was game over because I can’t even repair my takeoff component. Then I realized I could build a base teleporter and go back to my freighter…

On a happy note, I landed in the Goon Galaxy completely at random, so as soon as I get my precious ship repaired, I’ll probably come wave hello!

buy repair kits at pirate stations to easily fix difficult modules if you accidentally accidentally jump in a good ship.