Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Heck YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Started a new game because I didn't want to deal with whatever bugginess comes with loading an old save and I really like the new resource system, though I agree that they should add some automation. Was worried about performance on my i5/GTX960 but it seems to run better than Atlas Rises. My second planet is super pretty and I found cute bats:

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1022019992932499457

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I started a new save and haven't bothered with freighters/frigates yet, so my experience with the game has been pretty smooth. Only bug was when I rammed my ship into the side of some planetside structure and it got stuck in the geometry for a few seconds. I think I'll hold off on the freighter stuff until more patches drop because y'all are spookin me.

Though I know intellectually it's all busy work resource gathering, the main gameplay loop has its hooks in me and I dig it anyway. I normally hate resource gathering/crafting so I don't know why this is different. It may just be down to the planets being more fun to explore and putz around on.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
AFAIK the differently colored star systems (red/green/blue) are where you need to go to find most of the abundant life paradise and/or zany planets. They require special warp drives for your ship to access.

Bunch of info here: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Star_system

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
AFAIK it's really only better if you're on AMD hardware.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Y'all should wait for the patch to start a new game. An article mentioned that in Beyond the intro/tutorial sequence is being streamlined to take 30 minutes as opposed to 2+ hours and covers only the super basic/necessary stuff.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My goal is to reach the systems closer to the center and tour the bases and stuff folks make around there. I think the endgame they were hoping for was that people would team up and build stuff together?? At least based on Sean's recent interviews.

I'm about 10 hours in and kinda messed up because I filled up my multitool's slots before installing a scanner upgrade, which was how I made money before. Any tips on how to find one of those folks who will just give you a free one on a planet? Is that even still a thing?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Normally this would irk me but the low detail LOD tree models kinda look cool there.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
at this point No Man's Sky is more of a MMO than many games that outwardly claim to be MMOs

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Fwoderwick posted:

Them phrasing it as a "small step in a longer journey" is stopping me thinking too big. Like I'd call the Exomech update a small step. So yeah, maybe tailored tutorials/starter missions depending on the biome you start on.

As far as pipe dream additions go:
- Revamp of base building
- Ability to have co-owned bases so you can work on them whether the other people are online or not
- A storyline where someone is allowed a legit happy existence. Rather than a variant of: oh hey we're getting an anomalous signal. Commencing investig <<message ends>>

But none of them are this update and will likely never happen anyway.

Given the art style of the poster graphic and phrasing/framing I have a feeling this will involve changes to some of the fundamental procgen systems. Or maybe other deeper systemic changes. They may be warning against expecting a 'big' update to avoid their player base getting bothered over a lack of new surface content. Content oriented updates like Abyss and Visions didn't get pre-announcements like this.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
my best guess is that they're afraid it'll devalue finding cool ships in the wild. or maybe it's omitted in the spirit of their 'every atom procedural' thing? whatever the case i agree with you. at least limited color options would be neat.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't think it has ever been effective at making you feel like you've found a unique ship and as it stands imo it's not possible. Even if they added twice as many core designs. Perhaps a large part of the issue is seeing all sorts of ships constantly flying in and out of stations/the anomaly. You've already seen most base designs multiple times two or three hours in.

Not sure of there's a good solution either. They're probably a bit limited with how rare they can make things by people expecting new features to be accessible/obtainable. Living Ships aren't even that easy to get but they're already all over.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This one gets me pretty excited. I'm hoping for some kind of BOTW-esque mapping or stamp system. I know they had technical hurdles surrounding that kind of thing but they're clever.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Ambaire posted:

I imagine that adding a map, however useful, might have the downside of revealing just how procgen NMS planets really are. Namely, the giant grid (or similar) of places to 'explore'.

Could be useful without giving away the patterns if they confined a detailed map view to only regions where you've activated the spinny region radar thingy (where it does that big zoom out) and you could only view the one you're in. Just being able to mark deposits or cool landforms or other points of interest could be neat. Perhaps you could upgrade a thing to scan for map markers other people have left on a planet?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
what's the quickest way to get all the Hyperdrive upgrades necessary to visit any color star system? i've been restarting every year when there's a big update and only ever messed around randomly after the first ~2 hours of main progression. i'm happy to never have anything fancy with my ship/tool/vehicles but i'd really like to be able to go to any system asap.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've not touched creative mode because I believed that I needed to trick myself into feeling like I've accomplished X/Y/Z to get to the cool stuff but I'm tempted to try it because of Earwicker's posts. Also I think pure exploration can have its own challenges even if they aren't mechanical.

Like, should I spent more time in this system with only superheated planets that I'm guessing aren't going to be super interesting to me or head off to the next? What if the planets DO have cool stuff and I'll miss it if I move on?!?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This is probably not the update but it'd be interesting if they added ships for 2-4 players so we could do our own Starship Enterprise shenanigans. Of course then there's the question "what the heck would you DO together?" and I can't think of a satisfying answer, so it'd probably need to come along with other new systems to be worthwhile.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Earwicker posted:

im not home and wont be able to update for a week or so, does this one wipe all current bases and redo the planet surfaces again?

nah, your bases should still be there. no procgen changes outside of new clearings on some planets for settlements.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I still enjoy this game immensely for the reason I've always enjoyed it– exploring weird proc gen planets and chilling out– but every new update seems to add another interesting sounding idea that quickly reveals itself to be unfulfilling or purposeless after folks start tinkering.

There are so many cool ideas and self-contained toylike systems but few of them intersect in interesting ways. I wish they could figure out some way to connect them or give players a reason to care about them.

They're all tied to resource gathering, so if they could find a way to make THAT enjoyable, maybe the rest of the experience would be elevated? I'm not sure specifically how they'd do this, but I think bringing as many components out of the abstract number world (processing, wait timers, etc.) and into the actual 3D world could be part of the answer. Storm Crystals were in this direction. Anything to make players navigating the geometry of the world while doing things in 3D space matter.

I'm sure anything we can think up they've already thought of though and it's simply a time/resources thing or a reality of the limitations of the engine. I don't envy them.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'd like that too. Some kind of Death Stranding shenanigans may be neat. Making roads and bridges and stuff to connect bases or settlements or other points of interest. For this to be worth it they'd probably have to do more to ensure that bases/structures appear consistently for all players.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I do wonder how they could tackle the issue of biomes. How would 2 or 3 biomes not result in it effectively feeling like you're exploring 3 haphazardly stitched together planets? Once you've seen the two or three biomes it's the same issue again.

Maybe it could be tied to elevation, similar to how underwater areas function? This may require fiddling with planet gen again to make it work well, but it'd be neat to expand it from just 'ocean' and 'land' to something like

mountain
hill/highland
beach
ocean
deep sea

Each would have its own quirks that add or subtract already existent elements. Perhaps the mountain regions are colder and certain flora/fauna are more likely to spawn there?

They could also maybe do something with poles and the equator but that'd result in a whole lot of travel to get to a different enough feeling location.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've been enjoying the expedition but just undid two hours of progress by reloading an autosave and now I'll never play again.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
they sold well at launch but the active steam base is so massive that as long as updates keep coming + it keeps getting good reviews it'll be favored by the algorithm and new people will keep finding it

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a 'playdate' tonight with a bunch of online friends whom I actually haven't played online with before. We all have NMS so we'll be playing that.

I am unreasonably excited. I don't care if we just end up building some stupid base, I can't wait.

definitely share a trip report

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Lots of new 4.0 info in this article: https://www.eurogamer.net/no-mans-sky-sean-murray-talks-switch-this-weeks-40-update-and-the-future

In particular I'm excited about this:

No Man's Sky Article posted:

4.0 marks something of a departure from previous major number bumps, and Murray is keen to keep expectations in check. While 2.0 and 3.0 [titled Next and Beyond, respectively] were "huge updates in terms of content", he explains, "that isn't the case, here". Instead, 4.0 brings extensive changes to what Murray calls "the more design-heavy elements" of the game: balance, difficulty, and structure.

"For me," he continues, "this update is for if you've said, 'Look, I played No Man's Sky and I wanted to love it, but I bumped off it a bit because it was a bit grindy, [or] if you said 'I want to come back, but it's been ages and there's been so many updates and it feels overwhelming'… You've probably had this experience where you've come to a game where it's been updated a tonne and… sometimes those [elements] don't fit as cohesively as you'd like. We hear this sometimes, and I think it's true… and so what we've done [in 4.0] is we've revisited a bunch of things that are really impactful from the design perspective."

No Man's Sky Article posted:

To that end, 4.0 features "lots of streamlining in terms of the tutorial, when you unlock certain things, what's available to you", all intended to fit No Man's Sky's six years of updates "into a more cohesive whole". That streamlining will also extend to the game's inventory system, which, in turn, has enabled Hello Games to "massively increase what is effectively the level cap", meaning bigger inventories, and the opportunity to level up ships and weapons further than was possible before.

Additionally, 4.0 introduces No Man's Sky's first new game modes since the arrival of Creative and Survival in 2016's Foundation update. "When we [originally] launched," explains Murray, "we made the game a little bit more difficult and more grindy, perhaps, because we didn't have the breadth of content [we do now]. But now people come in and they want to see a mech, they want to see the story, they want to go to the Nexus and things like that, and so we wanted to find that right balance for new players".

As part of that goal, 4.0 adds a new Relaxed mode (playable with either a fresh or existing save), which Murray calls a "very fun version of No Man's Sky where the focus is on exploration, less on just surviving and grinding, [where it's easier] to see the six years of content that's there". This, he says, works well for first-time players, "but I think it's [also] a common request from people who might have longer playthroughs, who might want just a game where they kick back".

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I do see the value in rarity for ship types but for that to be engaging there has to be a path to acquiring them beyond pure chance or looking up coordinates outside of the game.

Spitballing here but what about adding in a planetary shipyard or dealership structure where you can customize a ship using what they have on offer, and maybe certain races specialize in certain ship types, etc.

Customization via parts you collect + allowing players/NPCs to trade said parts could also be an interesting approach?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that doesn't change. Most of us just got used to it but if that's a dealbreaker for you then be aware. There's occasional weird planets, especially when you get to green/blue stars, but not as a rule.

You're right that it gets samey decently quickly BUT for a new player who hasn't closely followed the updates I'm willing to bet there are still a few surprises. The flora/fauna will def diverge more than they've seen in their first system and there are special rarer planet types with more dramatic land masses they added in Origins I wanna say? Super high mountains, etc etc.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The most recent experimental update adds a lil badge to your name if you've changed difficulty down and up again and people in the Twitter replies are already making Holocaust comparisons lol.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
the snowflake makes me think of cold climates which makes me think of poles. not 'real' poles, just two distinct areas at the tops and bottoms of planets?

as for multi-biome planets, it seems like fun idea but in practice i'm not sure it would work? once you find the second biome THEN you've seen everything and it isn't fundamentally so different? maybe they have a clever idea to make planetside exploration more varied without necessarily adding new biomes.

i could see, like, some system that spawns rareish variant areas of the existing biomes at very high or very low elevations? So climbing a large mountain or deep caves could have some reward?

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 19, 2023

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
they're probably as relevant as he can get them. earlier on they seemed more literal and hinted at a specific thing but lately they've represented the broader theme of the update and not really any particular feature.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
release notes leaked and the update is called the Fractal update and introduces a new ship type that allows for "skimming over planetary surfaces at high speed", a VR overhaul, an expedition, and a Wonders Catalogue feature for sharing interesting flora/fauna with others.

i'm beginning to think they're more or less finished with NMS and have their main people on whatever the big new project is.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you say this because it's not including a major content update? I'd be willing to bet that the PSVR port required a lot of work which could be what took most of their time. :shrug:

I'm sure it was quite a bit of work. I should've been more specific. I was mostly thinking of the lack of substantial updates to planets or exploration/procgen in general over the last ~2ish years. It's fair to assume they're busy on the next thing?

For me the worlds are the compelling part of the game and I'm not interested in new ways to traverse them or fight on them or whatever when I've already seen everything they can offer.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah the emoji list in the tweet was confusing too. Maybe they're trying to leave some mystery intact for the expedition instead of listing all the new things you'll find?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
A legit news website jumped the gun on publishing their article and quickly removed it. Seemed legit and largely copied/pasted from a Hello Games press release. Looks like there'll be a new robot race and the ability to build your own robot by collecting robot parts as well as a new pirate freighter that can be destroyed via a star wars-esque trench run and some sort of staff built using scavenged parts that improves mining and can be used in combat. It launches thursday.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I dunno, could be wrong I s'pose. Maybe it has to do with gamescom announcment timing?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Thyrork posted:

Yep, tried the changes and no joy. PISS.

Guess I get to live vicariously through others + my buddy. :mad:

i think i relate to this. it could simply be that games are simulated work and work is tiring. after a few months/years on a job fatigue can set in. No Man's Sky is one of the workiest games I've ever played and doesn't do much to obfuscate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i've never engaged with base building or portal stuff or even quests. just endless planet/system hopping. what's the quickest route to get to where I can do the coordinates thingy necessary to find the Goon Zone?