Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well I booted this up for the first time in two years and somehow my first fifteen minutes have been better and more fun than the thirty hours I spent on launch. Wowza.

Anyway, I put everything on ultra and it's like 90% 60+ fps but with some occasional slowdowns. What's the most likely culprit? Running with Good GPU, Bad CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Holy poo poo, I just got gifted a freighter a few hours in after saving a tired captain's fleet. I'm still bumbling around in my dumb starter ship.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well, that makes it a little less cool, but it's still really good that they don't make you slave for it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Do we know what Beyond brings beyond (heh) VR?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Quick question: If I find a ruined spaceship on a planet and add it to my collection, will it appear in my freighter later if I don't fix the launch thrusters and pulse engine?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Speaking of replacing/trading in ships, will the value of my salvaged ship increase if I fix it up? Even out bulkheads and whatnot? I'd test it out for myself, but I don't have enough resources to fix anything on this old bin I've found.
Edit: Also, I adore ugly ships so much. This thicc lil' dumbass, my new main ship, is surprisingly agile and roomy.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 17, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Blindeye posted:

No, the biggest coup early game is getting just the pulse engines of a 48 slot crashed freighter working, then trade it for a legit goof ship at a massive discount.

Oh poo poo, where do I find crashed freighters? I assume it's not the ones literally broken in half on planet surfaces.
Edit: wait, not capital class freighters, duh never mind.
Edit 2: or??

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've completely forgotten about how the story stuff affects anything; am I locked out of something if I follow Atlas or can I do everything eventually?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

From what I gathered after some googling, the "choice" mattered more at release.

Anyway, I just have to say that my absolute favorite thing right now is summoning my freighter in atmosphere. Seeing it warp in and just look collosal in the sky reminds me of the Adama Manouver.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Being able to either drop them or carry them with your ship would be extremely good. What I truly, truly want is to hop in a rover, remote control my ship from the cabin and do a god drat Aliens APC style drop.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

stupid idiot game, I love it

The way bipedals walk, like they're really late for an appointment, is just the best.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think I've spent twenty hours or something on this save? I'm not that far along in terms of progression, but I've got enough gear and resources to explore comfortably, and if I find a planet I like the look of, I'll usually stick around to find as many animals as I can. In general, I just enjoy long walks on moderately hazardous planets and a cold drink of pure oxygen.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

More wildlife photography.

Also, I finally found a place to settle down. Turns out I was looking for space-Norway the whole time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Regarding drives, you get half refunded or something, and you only need one good planetfall to gather enough resources to rebuild it. If you find a substantial upgrade, go for it.

Regarding multitools, I'd save the S-rank upgrades until you get one with full slots, they're not super expensive. But yeah, you only get what you get when you disassemble the components, nothing carries over.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm sure it's different from person to person, but for me it's about role-playing as well as feeling like I've "earned" it. It just doesn't make sense narratively to play creative. I imagine myself as the hard-working space gold panner because that's the role that's fun to play. It also makes upgrades feel more satisfying, of course.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thinking I might do a soft restart, where I delete my bases, trade in my ships and freighter and abandon all quests. Then again, my dumbass ADHD brain might be too worried about inconsistencies and bugs and I'll probably end up with a hard restart anyway.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 9, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I play on PC and I don't feel the need to mod anything. If the game gets a really good deal, I might just pick it up for my PS4.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh poo poo I haven't even tried to set up my HOTAS and pedals with NMS. Might have to stick with PC if that works well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Powershift posted:

I've got mismatched thrustmasters because the T16000 is the only left handed one offered and isn't very good, which makes it feel like my spaceship is a hacked together junker

Just like my real life vehicles

Nothing will beat the time I hooked the hotas, rudder pedals, wheel, gear stick and car pedals up at the same time and played Elite Dangerous just to see if it would work. It was, of course incredibly stupid, but I have to admit that going from sticks to wheel when I landed and dropped the space car made me feel cool as hell.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Powershift posted:

I do the same in Farm Simulator, which is like what you described but much more intense. Driving Some of the logging machines, I'm going to steering with a 900 degree wheel, going forward and back with the pedals, h-gate shifter with the real manual mod, and controlling the crane with the two sticks. The stock vehicles and a lot of the better mods have the actual in game sticks move relative to the function on the actual machine, so i can map it all to match the actual machine movements. I can also plug the wheel power in which sets the force feedback resistance to 100% for a good arm workout.

When i was selling rocks i got crazy good and operating the forklift i had, almost to an art. If it didn't tip over so quickly i could probably load 12 pallets on a deck trailer in under a minute. It would be cool to get that proficient in the logging machines.

If i only had one more arm.

Anyways, it would be cool if they gave us a tractor to harvest our space mushrooms. Thanks for listening to my podcast, don't forget to like and subscribe.

Gotta be honest, that sounds incredibly cool and fun and now I want to try it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Is that good or bad?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Heck, if they unify storage in the new UI, that's enough for me. Trying to access the 0-9 containers in the current version is absurdly byzantine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This idea that inventory space needs to be a rare resource really needs to die out. Gathering resources and crafting takes time, that time should be the price you pay in a mechanical sense (in the same way that spending ammo or losing health is the price you pay in combat). I don't mind a limited inventory in general, but in most games the limits ought to be much, much higher.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

Another change I would really like is if they find another solution to the problem of refueling in space other then just spawning a billion asteroids everywhere we go. It's really emersion breaking.

Very much agreed. The density of asteroids in each system would render space not only impassable, but also completely opaque, and all the planets would be terminally bombarded with meteor showers beyond apocalyptic dimensions. While that's obvious to everyone including the devs, it's still poo poo that annoys me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Weirdly enough, I'm excited to start again. Grinding is part of traveling (for me), and traveling is part of the game (for me!).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Game is choppy (if anyone has figured out what setting might alleviate that, let me know), otherwise good. I'm very excited to dive in once things are smoothed out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Skipped ahead a few pages because reading all the negative experiences bummed me out and I still love the game. Anyone figure out what might be causing stuttering yet? Only thing I've really tried from this thread is turning off vsync in the Nvidia control panel (it was already off).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

In the save before this one, I found a 24 slot multitool for sale at 1.3 million credits or so an hour after getting airborne. Just keep checking stations, the anomaly and those small trading posts planetside.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh my god I can move the starting technology from the cargo tab to the technology tab on both the ship and the suit
goty goat mvp

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Had a long rear end session with a couple of friends. Had some bugs, but for the most part we had a whole lot of fun. Eventually found a nice ice planets with big bluffs and excellent animals. Me and one of my compatriots set up twin bases on separate bluffs. Good game.

Bedurndurn posted:

So I did that (only useplatformclock and disabledynamictick did anything) and my load times when warping went from ~5+ minutes to <30 seconds. What the gently caress did I do?

Nothing found when executing these functions (like, it goes somewhere, but there's nothing to change). Guess I'm not so lucky.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Bruceski posted:

A couple of "fun" bugs on my new Beyond game.
--Added Artemis's crashed ship to my collection, my original ship was un-selectable to switch back. Can't switch from the "select vehicle" menu either. Built a base as a marker, did the Nexus stuff in case it was plot based (since they now ping on you flying her ship), went back and my other ship was gone. We'll see if it's sitting on a landing pad when I get a freighter.

I don't think it is. When I picked up the Folly, it replaced the starting ship, but when I then returned to the site an hour later because the HUD icon was still flashing, I found another copy of Artemis' ship, and when I grabbed that, it was added to my collection. I can call down both Follys with the tools menu, but I can no longer call down the Pillar.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Deakul posted:

If they do then they're just lying to themselves.

When they smooth out the bugs, I prefer wiring. Gives me more of a challenge with bases and whatnot. I have a feeling most energy problems can be solved by a set of good generators anyway, so I don't mind having more to do and more excuses to make my bases more complex.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Salvaged Scrap and Ancient Bones are probably the best early game money makers right now. I prefer salvaged scrap myself, since you don't have to dig so much, the stuff you find seems on average to be worth more than bones, and you get some free Ferrite Dust to go with each find.

Also, if you pick up sentinel killing missions everywhere you go, the corrupted sentinels count towards them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The only reason to make money is to make base building and exploration more comfortable and efficient, and you don't need that much for the most essential upgrades. Explore, head back to make some exotic food, explore more, head back to build a statue garden. Enjoy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Even with the bugs, the game is just a beautiful, chill way to spend time while listening to podcasts and books, shooting the poo poo with friends in coop or going on long walks while looking for landscapes and creatures to photograph. When I'm tired of that, I'll spend a few hours getting a small detail of my base to look good, or I'll build an entirely new base because I found a planet that, while similar to others, has a perfect combination of randomly generated elements. I realize it's a divisive game, but I know I'm not the only one who finds genuine, unique joy in NMS.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

there's more variety to NMS than OwlFancier and ToastyPotato's posts these last few pages boom got em

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Just let us enjoy the loving game, Jesus christ.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Someone legalize weed in Norway so I don't have to talk to my friend's weird buddy every time I want to space out in space.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

There is a huge difference between discussing things you do not like or wish was changed/better/different in the game, and literally coming into a thread and asking how people's brains work that they can enjoy the game. Just imagine sitting next to a toddler just blowing spit bubbles and stacking blocks and then repeatedly asking the toddler "I don't get it, what do you see in this?". It's a poo poo discussion no matter how you slice it. If you're genuinely curious what folks like to do or enjoy when they play this game, there have been several lengthy posts already explaining that. One was even mine.

God knows I'm a staunch defender of the game, but this is a hilariously bad analogy considering how people who enjoy the game have been described as literal babies ITT.
Edit: although it's a perfect analogy if you don't enjoy the game, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

That's literally why I wrote it they way I did, used that analogy, and followed up by saying it was a bad discussion. I don't think we're disagreeing on anything.

Nah, I don't think so either, but I'm very tired and my head hurts.