Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hemingway To Go! posted:

People shouldn't go "oh he'll be fine lol", they should think if Gunn can be fired, who else could be next.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
First they came to the bad movie directors, but I didn't speak out because loving lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When this whole thing went down months ago a bunch of people went into a wild panic prophesying that now that weird Mike had discovered that he had the power to get people fired he would wield it indiscriminately to ruin careers left and right.

Then he tried to do it Dan Harmon and Michael Ian Black and other random people and the world collectively shrugged and nothing happened and Rick and Morty an Emmy and it turns out that the secret to Weird Mike’s power is the victim has to work for Disney, and have made public jokes about raping children, and also be considered replaceable talent. You know, just like McCarthyism.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jokes made before he worked for Disney

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CelticPredator posted:

Jokes made before he worked for Disney

Sure. If you made kid rape jokes on twitter before you went to work for Disney and you are moderately famous but ultimately replaceable then your job may be in jeopardy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hm. Yeah. So replaceable they've already already hired a new filmmaker to helm the series and they're starting filming next month.

Oh wait a minute.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Hm. Yeah. So replaceable they've already already hired a new filmmaker to helm the series and they're starting filming next month.

Oh wait a minute.

If they didn’t think he was replaceable they wouldn’t have fired him. There’s a reason why dudes like Depp get a pass for far worse poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm glad they found a replacement and the Guardians franchise is going strong.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What "Guardians franchise?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The one that has 2 movies, a TV show, and two theme park rides (one in the works now).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A joke that was approved by Disney.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CelticPredator posted:

The one that has 2 movies, a TV show, and two theme park rides (one in the works now).

Thank god Star-Lord will live on in roller coaster form I guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

A joke that was approved by Disney.

Well yes, as pointed out, Disney are hypocrites.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

First they came to the bad movie directors, but I didn't speak out because loving lol

So how talented should a director be before it's okay to go after him/her because of their political beliefs?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

So how talented should a director be before it's okay to go after him/her because of their political beliefs?

Gunn was neither blacklisted nor was he fired for his political beliefs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure. If you made kid rape jokes on twitter before you went to work for Disney and you are moderately famous but ultimately replaceable then your job may be in jeopardy.

Let's clarify. Jokes made before he worked for Disney which Disney was aware of at the time of his hiring. Jokes that he had apologized for and deleted years ago, which Cernovich had to actually put effort into re-revealing that he said it once.

It's not like this stuff was a surprise that suddenly came out. Disney was fully aware of the jokes' existence and gave him his second chance. Cernovich just found a way to throw up a renewed stink about it and Disney made a panicky knee-jerk move that is now backfiring badly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's clarify. Jokes made before he worked for Disney which Disney was aware of at the time of his hiring. Jokes that he had apologized for and deleted years ago

So why did he still make rape jokes?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gunn was neither blacklisted nor was he fired for his political beliefs.

So Chernovich would've made a big deal about the tweets if Gunn hadn't said anything about Trump?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

So Chernovich would've made a big deal about the tweets if Gunn hadn't said anything about Trump?

Publicizing someone's tweets is not political persecution.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alhazred posted:

You’re continually making the mistake of blaming Cernovich for the incident when you should be blaming Disney. Cernovich is a dickwad and a poo poo-stirrer, for sure, but the decision to fire Gunn didn’t come down to him, it came down to Disney. Talking poo poo about Donald Trump is not what got James Gunn fired. Working for a gutless corporation is what got James Gunn fired.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Publicizing someone's tweets is not political persecution.

Pirate Jet posted:

You’re continually making the mistake of blaming Cernovich for the incident when you should be blaming Disney.

Believe me, I have no problem blaming both.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Are you trying to say that publicizing tweets is political persecution, and thus you're now politically persecuting Mike Cernovich?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Are you trying to say that publicizing tweets is political persecution, and thus you're now politically persecuting Mike Cernovich?

I don't care if you want to call it political persecution or not. Cernovich went after Gunn and wanted to cause him harm because he had a political opinion he didn't like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Supporting Trump is probably a bigger red flag for toxicity than making bad taste jokes on the internet 5 years ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's clarify. Jokes made before he worked for Disney which Disney was aware of at the time of his hiring. Jokes that he had apologized for and deleted years ago, which Cernovich had to actually put effort into re-revealing that he said it once.

It's not like this stuff was a surprise that suddenly came out. Disney was fully aware of the jokes' existence and gave him his second chance. Cernovich just found a way to throw up a renewed stink about it and Disney made a panicky knee-jerk move that is now backfiring badly.

Disney is a huge company and I doubt someone personally got all of the important old white men together in a room and read them tweets about loving kids so they could make a fully informed decision about hiring James Gunn.

But yea, of course Disney sucks, that’s not news.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

I don't care if you want to call it political persecution or not. Cernovich went after Gunn and wanted to cause him harm because he had a political opinion he didn't like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIwQr5QdZk&t=4s

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

You’re continually making the mistake of blaming Cernovich for the incident when you should be blaming Disney. Cernovich is a dickwad and a poo poo-stirrer, for sure, but the decision to fire Gunn didn’t come down to him, it came down to Disney. Talking poo poo about Donald Trump is not what got James Gunn fired. Working for a gutless corporation is what got James Gunn fired.

Its not like Mike Cernovich weaponized rapidly spreading online outrage mobs in the first place, he just turned that weapon towards James Gunn. The issue is larger than and preceded Mike C.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Disney is a huge company and I doubt someone personally got all of the important old white men together in a room and read them tweets about loving kids so they could make a fully informed decision about hiring James Gunn.

But yea, of course Disney sucks, that’s not news.

It's rather stupid to hire someone who very openly makes jokes about kids getting raped, along with a bazillion other shocking jokes, and then fire them seven years later in the middle of a major movie's production because somebody drew attention to the fact that they made shocking jokes about things like kids getting raped. I mean, unless you hate money and smooth movie production.

Either Gunn's history of making those sorts of jokes was perfectly fine at Disney until it started getting bad press, or else someone at Disney seriously believed that Mike Cernovich, a conspiracy theorist known for running smear jobs on his opponents and falsely accusing people of pedophilia, had just outed their director as a pedophile.

If it was the former, then it was very stupid to fire Gunn before most of the press could even react to the story, and if it was the latter then someone at Disney is so bad at their job that they should have zero decision-making responsibilities.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is possible that Disney didn't know about them, but Feige definitely did. He wouldn't hire Gunn to direct anything for them if he wasn't already familiar with his work. Kevin Feige apparently being okay with this pisses me off even more than anything else about this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdM84YVmV0&t=80s

Get this man a job at Disney!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, the important part there isn't that the comments were made before he worked at disney, it's that disney was almost certainly aware of Gunn's hosed up tendencies prior to working for them, to the point where they may have actively hired him because of that

like, putting up with it for a long time and then going "oops well guess you're out" when loving Mike Cernovich of all people tries to raise a stink is some gently caress poo poo, regardless of how or why, or even where you land on it being okay or not

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It is possible that Disney didn't know about them, but Feige definitely did. He wouldn't hire Gunn to direct anything for them if he wasn't already familiar with his work. Kevin Feige apparently being okay with this pisses me off even more than anything else about this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdM84YVmV0&t=80s

Get this man a job at Disney!

Feige pre-dates Marvel's acquisition by Disney. I'm sure his main concern when hiring Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy was if he could make movies that are good and which would bring in money for the studio, not if he was on-brand with Disney's image.

From a creative and financial point of view, Gunn was almost certainly the correct choice for director; Disney should have looked into and nixed Feige's hiring of Mr. Edgy at a higher level in the food chain since they have far less tolerance for offensiveness than any other studio. Somebody dropped the ball hard, but I certainly wouldn't place any of the blame for this fiasco on Feige.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Super came out four years before GOTG. It features a scene where Ellen Page explicitly rapes Rainn Wilson, and is later graphically shot in the head.

If you think that Disney, a company that probably has a whole team devoted to picking out what straws they use at their theme parks on aesthetic merits alone, didn't vet that poo poo, you're out of your mind.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Fart City posted:

Super came out four years before GOTG. It features a scene where Ellen Page explicitly rapes Rainn Wilson, and is later graphically shot in the head.

If you think that Disney, a company that probably has a whole team devoted to picking out what straws they use at their theme parks on aesthetic merits alone, didn't vet that poo poo, you're out of your mind.

You could argue that maybe Disney doesn't care about the content of the films their directors and writers made during their pre-Disney employment (it's art!), they only care about their actions and things like their social media posts, but how could they have completely missed stuff like this blog post where Gunn makes a long joke about beating his girlfriend? Like I said, I skimmed through parts of this blog, and he makes a couple hosed-up and offensive jokes about things like rape or child molestation or incest on like every single page. I assume his twitter feed was probably about the same.

Disney either did zero vetting other than poo poo like a basic background check, or else they knew perfectly well what Gunn's online presence was like and didn't care whatsoever until Cernovich brought it up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sucrose posted:

Disney either did zero vetting other than poo poo like a basic background check, or else they knew perfectly well what Gunn's online presence was like and didn't care whatsoever until Cernovich brought it up.

Or the people who vetted him aren’t the same ones that fired him, and the ones that fired him perhaps didn’t know specific details, merely that he’d made some unsavory posts but that was in the past.

Corporations are massive, inefficient bureaucracies, it’s not really hard to imagine that there were people working off of incomplete information.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Then they came for the sentimentalized manchildren, and BravestOfTheLamps literally could not stop speaking, possibly due to severe brain damage.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
We're all very sorry that there is no more Star-Lord because of internet Nazis. We should have acted.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09/20/james-gunn-firing-guardians-of-the-galaxy-bob-iger-disney-comments/

Disney CEO Breaks Silence on James Gunn Firing From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'

"I would say there is a blend of my helping to make the decision to my supporting the decisions that have been made," Iger told THR. "Roseanne was completely unanimous. We discussed how it would be communicated and when because there were a number of entities that had to be properly filled in, but the decision was completely unanimous. The James Gunn decision was brought to me as a unanimous decision of a variety of executives at the studio, and I supported it."

Edit: not sure how a decision can be "unanimous" when not everybody got a say, but corporations gonna corporate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Roseanne was more important and required the higher ups to consider all the ramifications and how to deal with things.

James gunn was some nobodies lower down went "whelp" and told their bosses they needed to get rid and they looked at the numbers and went yeah cool whatever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Adding to this.

The opening scene to GotG was shocking the first time I saw it. It started like you would expect, lone space man doing secret mission on dangerous planet. It seemed like "welp, more of the same I guess". Then he clicked play on his Walkman and started dancing around and acting silly and it immediately put a smile on my face and gave me a feeling that I was about to see something new, something original, something fun. I mean, I was confused, I was looking at other people in the theater with a feeling of "are you all seeing this? this is happening, right?" but it was so refreshing. From that moment, all the way to "we are groot" it was like no other MCU movie I had seen. It used music in a way that hadn't been done and hasn't been done again until GotG2. Parts of the movie were written around the music, that's how integrated it was.
Gunn had to fight for that, to use the music he wanted. That was his vision, not Kevin Fiege's or the studio.
And it worked, by God, somehow it worked.

He fought to ironically use pop music to undercut the seriousness of a scene.

This isn't praise for GOTG so much as it is utterly damning of the MCU. It would seem that directors have to fight to do what the MCU always does.

PoptartsNinja posted:

JJ Abrams makes space feel small. There was nothing optimistic about his Star Trek, and because of it CBS learned "people like prequels, we should do more prequels!" so we got the utterly joyless Star Trek: Discovery. JJ Trek created a universe where TNG can never happen all so they could have movies where popular mischaracterizations of Kirk and Spock fight terrorists and black government space helicopters while Leonard Nemoy nods approvingly as he watches Vulcan explode from another solar system. Maybe Star Trek Beyond turned it around, but I never saw it and I don't particularly care to. It was different for the sake of being different, like the Klingons in STD, and the only moment of enjoyment I got was the beginning of the second movie where Kirk and Spock saved an alien planet from being destroyed by a single volcano (there's that scale issue again!).

JJ Wars I dislike because nothing that happened in the original Star Wars trilogy actually mattered. The rebels kill the emperor and the space nazis still win and keep right-on building bigger and better Death Stars.

So, just to clarify, two sci fi franchises that enshrined and protected the status quo are cynical, but GOTG, where they fight to protect the status quo, and is part of the MCU, where the status quo is absolutely never challenged, is optimistic?

Just checking that those are, respectively, your criticisms and defences of the two franchises.

chitoryu12 posted:

They're not quite criminals after the first film. They're still rougher and more on the outside of the law, but they're generally fighting to keep people safe rather than committing crime or hunting bounties for profit. They probably earned more cred with the Nova Corps than any other life form in the galaxy by warning them of Ronan's attack and saving basically the entire galaxy from him.

They're privateers in service of a civilisation that has a giant corrupt prison. That's not much of a high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

So, just to clarify, two sci fi franchises that enshrined and protected the status quo are cynical, but GOTG, where they fight to protect the status quo, and is part of the MCU, where the status quo is absolutely never challenged, is optimistic?

Just checking that those are, respectively, your criticisms and defences of the two franchises.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the Guardians "fight to protect the status quo" when all three conflicts they've been involved in had the alternative to the status quo be "the entire universe is devastated beyond belief." Like Britain and America weren't defending the status quo when they kicked Hitler out of France.

• Locked thread