Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Brutalist megablocks >>>>>> lawns

gently caress lawns so loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

I feel like it's actually not very hard to generalize, even in major cities in the US it's common for the vast majority of residential land to be allocated just for single family homes. Obviously there's still variation there, but the broad strokes of what's causing the problem are generally pretty consistent across most of the country. It's similar to how car culture being dominant is true in almost every city.
This is absolutely true in Seattle, and every time anyone tries to do anything about it, the Seattle Times publishes some pearl-clutching bullshit about how single-family neighborhoods are our greatest resource. Coincidentally, most of the Seattle Times editorial board lives in single-family housing.

And gently caress, we just built a multi-billion dollar car tunnel that only gets people about two miles, and doesn't help anyone commuting into/out of Seattle. That's money that could have been spent on a tremendous amount of mass transit infrastructure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Replacing golf courses with medium-density subsidized housing is the way to go, IMO. Get those property values for the neighboring SFHs down.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KingFisher posted:

Or we could do towers in the park style high rise mixed use multifamily development and cast some long rear end shadows on NIMBY scum yards.
I'm okay with either option. Not picky.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seattle considering what to do with municipal golf courses.

Given the influence of the golf players in this city, I doubt it'll go anywhere, but I can dream. Maybe they can at least get rid of the senior discount and jack up the standard rates a bit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Urban cemeteries, too. Thousands of acres of prime land utterly wasted.

(for the record, whenever that time comes, I hope to have my loved ones spend as close to nothing as possible disposing of my corpse)
Move to Washington.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

Yeah, I think problems like this could appear if a policy is implemented badly. I'm really just spit-balling ideas here. My main point though is that a lot of the time we refuse to talk and think about the systemic roots of these problems. People see a policy like rent control as means to reduce housing costs for free -- but it is not free. It's just that the cost of rent reductions today is reduced investment and development. It takes years for the results to manifest, but they inevitably will, in the form of shortages and lower quality housing stock. If you want to ameliorate these issues, you have to make up that reduction in private investment from somewhere else.

Instead we have people deny that there is even a problem in the first place. People that deny there is even a housing shortage in places like California in the first place, or who claim that supply doesn't matter. Or they have hair-brained schemes that have no hope of addressing the underlying issues, like redistributing vacant apartments. One off policies like that might add supply this year, but what are you going to do next year? There's a deep unwillingness even just to acknowledge the full scale of the problem.

I am not a free-market fundamentalist. I don't care at all if services are provisioned through the state or market. I am stunned though at the way so many people just refuse to acknowledge what seems like basic common sense. Just breaking the market isn't going to supply housing, you need to have an alternative.
Rent control is also not means-tested, so rather than helping low-income people stay in housing, it helps whoever has been in their house the longest stay in housing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My relatives think raising kids in an apartment is child abuse because the kids can’t go outside unattended (assuming this is one of those gated condo communities in the suburbs or a building in an urban core) and all the neighbors will hear them screaming and carrying on all the time and will hate us.

I think it was this thread that pointed out that newer buildings tend to not have paper thin walls and this isn’t nearly as much of a problem.

Not having a backyard or a space outside to do whatever the hell I want in private is a big downside though, honestly.

What the gently caress are people doing in their backyards that they don't do in parks?

Is there some, like, backyard orgy trend running throughout suburbia that just nobody talks about?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I grew up in the exurbs with something like a 1 acre lawn that we were forced to mow. It was hell, and I hate lawns now. All the time and energy spent on that useless space.

Hours I'll never loving get back. Yards are the loving worst.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

You can be arrested for letting your kids play in the park unsupervised. Not so in your backyard.

This sounds like a Stranger Danger situation, where something that has happened, like, once or twice is blown up into a national epidemic.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

True, they apparently passed a 2016 law to try to legalize letting your kids walk to the park.

But there have been quite a number of times parents have either been arrested or had CPS force them to never ever let their kid go to the park alone again:

Since the laws are pretty vague on this its pretty much if someone calls CPS or if the cops want to hassle you.
So far, that "quite a number" seems to be "three."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is America, arguing "I need a yard so the cops don't harass me or my children" just leads to people arguing that they need stores, sports arenas, and any other conceivable destination in their homes.

The sun is going to rise, the wind is going to blow, and cops are going to harass people.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really like Strongtowns:

https://www.youtube.com/@strongtowns

Their older stuff has good content, but is really dry and kind of hard to watch; they recently hired a dude to make their YouTube videos for them, and they have gotten way better.

Also, the best NotJustBikes video is one of the ones he did with StrongTowns (which I am absolutely certain has been posted in here before):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

Pretty much all of the interesting NotJustBikes videos are remakes of Strong Towns videos, in some cases down to copying sections word for word.

The NJB guy is waaaaaaayyyy better at presentation than the StrongTown people were. Like I said, their content was great, but their videos sucked.

And I would disagree, the most enraging/my favorite NJB video is this one:

https://youtu.be/56b5cI2qtYQ

With pretty much all of these videos, I'm always cognizant that Amsterdam is being presented through rose-colored glasses, but this is some loving Never-Never Land poo poo. I have helped so many friends move, the idea that this is a thing anywhere on earth, and somehow we as a species haven't decided to copy it literally everywhere is mind-bendingly frustrating.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 26, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

It baffles me that parts of the left have taken the "landlords are sitting indefinitely on vacant homes to jack up prices" thing as gospel. Even without all the data to back up the case, it's a fairly trivial thought exercise to explore the cost/benefit calculations to find that adding more homes to the market will force the landlord to respond to demand:

Landlord 1 owns a one-plex. They slap a price/rent on it at 125% of the average for neighborhood X, but there are no other vacancies because residential supply is capped by bad zoning laws and NIMBY opposition.
Homeseeker 1 wants to live in neighborhood X. With no other vacant options available to them, either they meet Landlord 1's exorbitant demands or are forced to find a home in cheaper neighborhood Y, which is less desirable for them due to their commute.

If Homeseeker 1 pays out, Landlord 1 wins! They get exactly what they asked for because Homeseeker 1 found the alternative more costly.
If Homeeker 1 instead chooses a home from Landlord 2 in neighborhood Y, Landlord 1 loses out on income and incurs recurring costs for maintenance and taxes. However, if vacancies are low across the neighborhoods, Landlord 1 knows they needn't wait long for Homeseeker 2 to come along and be the one to pay out. Meanwhile, Homeseeker 3 wanted to live in neighborhood Y, but Landlord 2 had similarly jacked up the prices expecting Homeseeker 1 would trickle down to them! Homeseeker 3 has to find another, even cheaper neighborhood, perpetuating a vicious cycle that ends in Homeseeker X living in their car or on the street. poo poo's hosed!

Landlord 1 can sit pretty for a little while knowing they'll inevitably catch a mark who can pay out for lack of alternatives, so the easiest option available to us is to introduce alternatives into the market through a mixture of public housing and upzoning. The city changes the maximum occupancy and height limit, as well as shuts down the mechanisms landlord-friendly exclusionary groups used to throw a wrench in the works, to enable denser construction at a cheaper price point.

Suddenly, Landlord 1's aging and minimally maintained one-plex doesn't enjoy the exclusivity—the city has constructed a six-story, mixed-use building with a mixture of market-rate and affordable units! Landlord 1 wails and gnashes their teeth as they realize the next few dozen homeseekers are likely to jump on the new building rather than pay bank for their rat trap. The likelihood of a homeseeker coming to them within the time horizon for which they can tolerate losing money becomes vanishingly small, so Landlord 1 is forced to lower their rates and even gasp maintain and improve their property to outcompete the alternatives. Homeseeker 1, 2, 3, and many others can now find homes in the neighborhoods they wanted and at better price points than they might have otherwise.

While I'd prefer the city, state, or even the feds to be the purveyor of these now homes, enabling construction by private developers achieves the same effect, just with the consequence of the new private owner of the homes, Landlord 3, immediately turning around to pull up the ladder behind them so they can achieve the same position as Landlords 1 and 2 were in at the outset. The key is to never let them do that.

That all said, this needn't preclude a vacancy tax, but there's little reason it would do a drat thing to address the root causes of the affordability crisis. Worse, it's typically bandied about as a better alternative to, rather than minor complement of, increasing home supply in place people want to live. A vacancy tax might at best reduce the time horizons landlords before they hit their limit, but would have knockon effects in landlords cheaping out elsewhere to make up the difference. Ultimately, if prices are high because 3 different homeseekers are all chomping at the bit for the same property, then the only durable solution is to construct more homes.

tl;dr: build more homes. Public homes; private homes; gnome homes; more homes.
You're not wrong that we can't solve our housing problem through existing vacancies alone, but some Googling shows that the Seattle vacancy rate is about 5%, and that's with very poor tracking (it only goes to registered rentals); I suspect that it's actually significantly higher than that. You definitely couldn't solve Seattle's homelessness problem by filling all of those units, but that is thousands of units we're talking about, and as it stands now, the rental algorithms will frequently tell landlords to leave units open an extra month or two in order to extract much higher rents. A vacancy tax would strongly disincentivize that, driving up the costs of leaving units unoccupied for long periods of time. Throw a short-term rental tax/vacation home tax on top of that, and I think you could open up a significant amount of housing, and for the available housing, drive rents down a bit. It's not a panacea, but could definitely be a piece of the problem.

The other thing to do is a commercial vacancy tax; the vacancy rates on commercial buildings are way higher, and commercial real estate owners are less worried about losing those buildings to not having rent than they are to losing the on-paper value of those buildings that they claim they "can" rent for way more than people are willing to pay (mostly because when that happens, their investors and lenders are going to start Asking Questions). Dropping the value of commercial real estate would make it way more accessible for local businesses.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

5% isn't a very high vacancy rate, a typical historical level is like 7% IIRC. And you WANT a fair amount of vacancy, both to reduce landlord leverage over renters, and also because of certain amount of market liquidity is necessary for anyone to, y'know, rent or buy a home. A market with all occupied homes is one where you can't move there. Because the homes are occupied.
I think citing historical rates at a time when homelessness is this high, housing costs are such a huge part of the average household's budget, and the demand for housing is so high is a bit disingenuous. A vacancy tax would drive a few more people to rent out places faster, driving down some of those costs, and punishing people who sit on real estate not wanting to lower the rent because a piece of software tells them to hold out for another couple of months.

Cicero posted:

It's just weird to me that people are (higher) framing vacancy rates as bad, when they're actually good, at least to a point.

For longer periods of time, I agree. But some amount of time unoccupied after a current tenant leaves is of course normal and expected.
Vacancy taxes don't kick in until a place has been vacant for longer than a certain period of time, so brief between-tenant vacancies aren't relevant.

Cicero posted:

A very large percentage of homeless people have serious mental illness or substance abuse issues, such that putting them in random homes will likely end poorly. So many are not in a good place mentally to take care of a regular home, either as a cause or effect of homelessness, this is something that shelters are equipped to deal with that standard apartments or houses are not. We need to build a lot more emergency/temporary housing that's explicitly designed to help people who are currently homeless and may need heavy support.
I did say that this wouldn't be a panacea. And a large percentage of people who are homeless are homeless because of housing costs, because they had one bad event that knocked them into homelessness because housing is so expensive. A lot of people also have substance abuse and untreated mental illness problems because they're homeless, and even if homelessness isn't the root cause, getting someone into housing sure as poo poo makes it a lot easier for them to get treatment for mental illness or substance abuse.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

It seems relevant to me considering the historically low vacancy rate is a big part of why housing costs and homelessness are so high

We definitely, without question need to build more homes, however arguing that the vacancy rate should be higher in a vacuum is literally saying "it would be better for this house to be empty than for an otherwise unhoused person to live here."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

pointing to a vacancies while saying "the housing supply isn't the problem, see?" in a vacuum is what dogshit nimbys in powerful positions have done for a decade because they actually believe that, if you don't build a new building, new people won't move to the city, and nothing will ever change, and they can be 24 years old forever.

Baronash posted:

"If you strip a situation of context to the point of meaninglessness, then I'm totally right" is not the slam dunk argument you seem to think it is. Somehow, despite correctly identifying housing costs as a major driver of homelessness, you've repeatedly ignored anyone pointing out that low vacancy rates are a major cause of rising housing costs. That's why shelters and other supportive housing projects generally aim to increase the supply of available housing, rather than worsen housing markets already in crisis.
I think we're talking past each other here.

Housing supply is absolutely a huge problem. But in a place like Seattle or the Bay Area or NYC, even if there aren't a ton of them, homes sitting vacant beyond the normal vacancy between tenants means that there are unhoused people who could be living there that aren't. I get that a decently high vacancy rate is a good thing, but I see it as just an indicator, not a goal in and of itself; encouraging otherwise-vacant units to be rented via a vacancy tax is a good thing. It would also force the gathering of data regarding housing and housing costs that we don't currently have. I don't think we actually know what the vacancy rate is; most of the sites I'm looking at Googling for it cite it at 5ish percent, but they don't cite their sources. At one point, the City Council tried to gather that sort of data (as well as data on rent costs), but the mayor vetoed it at the behest of landlords.

I guess what I'm saying is that we should have a relatively high vacancy rate as a side effect of good housing policy, not as a goal in and of itself.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Requiring EV charging stations as an overall rule is probably a win overall. Going through a 12-month process of arguing over it for every single place, however ...

EVs are going to loving murder us. It's just more car infrastructure: more parking that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more roads, stroads, and freeways that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more tires that require more oil that spew out more rubber and microplastics, more brake pads doing the same, more minerals needing to be mined out of the earth that requires yet more fossil fuels, and more chemicals being used in the manufacturing that get dumped back into the ecosystem.

It's not an improvement, it's just a thing that extends the lifetime of the habits we can't afford to have, and lets lovely people greenwash building more parking.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

EVs are going to loving murder us. It's just more car infrastructure: more parking that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more roads, stroads, and freeways that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more tires that require more oil that spew out more rubber and microplastics, more brake pads doing the same, more minerals needing to be mined out of the earth that requires yet more fossil fuels, and more chemicals being used in the manufacturing that get dumped back into the ecosystem.

It's not an improvement, it's just a thing that extends the lifetime of the habits we can't afford to have, and lets lovely people greenwash building more parking.
Just to really drive this home: in 2011, the Chevy Volt was released, and the Tesla Model S was released in 2010. In 2010, the three best-selling vehicles were the Ford F-150, the Toyota Camry, and the Chevy Silverado. In 2022, after over a decade of manufacturing consumer-accessible electric cars, the three best-selling vehicles were the Ford F-Series, the Chevy Silverado, and the Dodge Ram.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I'm a regular user of the light rail here in Seattle, but what about the majority of the US with no good public transportation options? If I leave the city I'll need a car to do it any kind of reasonable time frame. Not to mention the western parts of Seattle like Ballard and West Seattle aren't even supposed to have light rail stations until like 2039 at the earliest.

Unless we invest an insane amount of money to build out the country's public transportation network, I'd rather people be using EVs than gas powered cars.

I would rather people be using EVs instead of gas-powered cars, but that's not what's happening; instead, what's happening is we're investing an insane amount of money to build out EVs and infrastructure for them instead of public transit, and people are still buying mostly enormous gas-powered vehicles.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Are people going to give up their lawns and McMansiosn to live closer to civilization though? These are mutually incompatible and while everyone hates driving (for commuting), I kind of doubt many would make that trade voluntarily.

We subsidize the poo poo out of these people, and tax the poo poo out of the people who want to live in more densely-populated areas relative to them (in both the literal tax sense, and in the sense of driving up costs for dense developments via all sorts of policies).

I know it's been posted in here before, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

We would make a huger dent in the carbon we put in the atmosphere if we just

stop spending money on cars

not one more new lane-mile

Taking climate change seriously on really any level requires this.

And that's why EVs are going to loving murder us. It's the out the people in power want for saying they're doing something without actually doing something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Setting unreasonable goals is not the way to take something seriously.

Society is based on cars and roads. Much of the world is less developed, and building more roads would significantly help the people living there.

If you're proposing to halt road and car production, then you need to offer an alternative to be taken seriously.

Jesus loving Christ, the problem is not building a two-lane road to a village outside of Nairobi; it's another thousand square miles of parking lots, garages, and ten-lane freeways in major cities in the U.S. We keep dumping tons of government money into EVs, while continuing to exempt light trucks from CAFE standards, and refusing to have any sort of regulation on the size of vehicles. It's like we're in the midst of a forest fire, and deciding whether the fire fighters should use wine glasses or beer steins (EVs in this case are beer steins).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

People complain about the wires for trolley buses and the noise and emissions of diesel buses.

At least in America, this is the stupidest bullshit I've ever heard. Plenty of other cars are louder and have worse emissions than diesel buses.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

poo poo's complicated. Any solution to any of these problems is going to require multiple components, each of which individually might accomplish nothing or even make things worse without the other components. Also the solution as a whole will have to be resilient to compromises necessitated by accommodating people trying to live through it while in progress. "X won't save us" is kind of a facile objection.
EVs not only won't save us, they will actively make things worse without a bunch of other changes that basically nobody with any power is talking about making.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

I don't think this is really fair either.

Biden's infrastructure bill puts truly vast amounts of money towards things like offshore wind. I think it includes money for upgrading electrical power infrastructure to handle the increased use of electricity.

I don't know if that bill will come out as planned, nor am I saying this bill will defeat climate change or anything.

But there is quite a lot being done, not just talked about, but legislated and funded.

It also puts a bunch of money towards building more roads. And Biden has been pushing out a shitload of fossil fuel infrastructure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

"Realistic" in this context inherently means patting yourself on the back for being smarter than everyone else who demands better things. You don't demand better things. You demand change in snall increments because it's what serious people do.
At this point, "change in small increments" is societal suicide.

Like, don't even bother, may as well go full hedonism if all we're going to do is seek a .2% reduction in greenhouse gases by 2030.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fill Baptismal posted:

The biggest benefit of EVs isn’t actual their emissions imo: it’s that widespread EV adoption gives politicians and political parties less need to keep the car sauce flowing cheaply. Even if they didn’t have any benefits in other aspects and that was all they did, people not getting pissed when number go up at the pump is pretty massive in terms of the possibility space it opens up.
When does this start? Because as of now, it's the most gas-guzzling vehicles that continue to be the best-selling.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

From the energy thread:

so hopefully within a few years

Am I somehow misreading this, or are they saying that China used more gas this year than it is ever has before, and that somehow that's a good thing? Please, explain it to me like I'm five.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

I work in environmental compliance (archaeology/NHPA Section 106 specifically). One of the most common misconceptions is that the law prevents environmental (or, in my specific case, historical property) damage, but in fact the law generally only requires that the government consider the effects of its actions on the environment. Ultimately, the NHPA, NEPA, and their state equivalents don't typically care if you actually harm the human environment at the end of the process as long as you've put the work in to figure out what impact you're going to have. The problem arises because often project proponents try to avoid considering particular impacts using things like creative crafting of project alternatives or insufficient scoping. A well-planned, properly-executed process is mostly immune to NEPA/NHPA legislation, but ironically the more a project proponents tries to avoid environmental review, the more vulnerable they become to costly litigation.

There may well be process reforms that could improve the system -- you won't find many environmental compliance specialists who think the process is perfect -- but many of the horror stories are because project proponents tried to circumvent the process, rather than because of the process itself.

I dunno, this really seems like a case of "what a system does is what it's designed to do." And this system really seems designed to shut down any sort of positive movement in favor of freeways, parking lots, and single-family bullshit.

tl;dr:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

There are more factors at play as well (developer-funded suburban subdivision projects often don't trigger environmental review because they don't involve federal or state money, for example, unlike something along the lines of installing a high speed rail system), but I think you're right to identify one of the core flaws of American environmental review laws: they ultimately rely on expensive private legal action to enforce them, which disproportionately tilts the manner of their enforcement towards entities with the resources to bring them. That's why some procedurally-rotten projects might sail through with nary a peep while others (and maybe ones with fewer flaws) might get bogged down. That's also, I'd argue, why agencies and proponents persist in trying to cut corners and avoid doing higher level reviews in the first place: there's a good chance they won't get called out on it, and the projected cost savings up front is a very compelling political incentive.

Ham Equity posted:

I dunno, this really seems like a case of "what a system does is what it's designed to do." And this system really seems designed to shut down any sort of positive movement in favor of freeways, parking lots, and single-family bullshit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is a good point. Also, have the people talking about how bad the fashion industry is thought about the fact that people need to wear clothes? Have the people objecting to the war in Israel considered that people need to have jobs somewhere, and if they don't have jobs genociding, they'll be unemployed?

And the investigators going after serial killers, have they considered the effects they're having in the true crime industry? Like, really makes you think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

No, I think he is saying that urban areas can't have food without privately owned muscle cars somehow.

Without twelve-lane stroads, everyone would starve to death.