Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Kinda glad I did not read any of that op or do any actual research before I went to law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

I dunno if it's only an American thing but yea a lot of people do that here. its supposed to be so they can tell if you're a "good fit" for the "culture" of that job or if you're a weirdo, or if they need cover for the real reason they won't hire you

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

How do y'all find assets like bank accounts to garnish if the judgment debtor has just been radio silent through the whole proceeding?

I dunno what state your in, but in Texas you can get court orders directed at “any accounts” the person has and then just mail the order to all the banks and poo poo around town and they’ll tell you if they have an account that fits the court order. I think it’s called a turn over order

Also maybe wave garnishment sent to the employer? Again dunno where you’re at. Or a PI?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 10, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

quote:

availability of affordable domestic help are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a.

Hmmmmmm

Post the emails

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

It’s too bad you can’t do colored text. But can you increase/decrease font size?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you considered become a dissident and then seeking asylum

I assume this is a valid thing to do in Russia

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

“Are you Jewish? How Jewish is the firm?”

Two questions right there.

which Tribe of Israel do you most identify with?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought our career services were pretty good and helpful, to the extent that I could be helped by anyone. Gave me good advice on resumes and interviews, even hooked me up with a phone interview in 1L.

I've been asked to hold a talk and share my experiences when I return to class. :unsmith:

You had a good run but you jumped the shark with the slavery comments and now we are in that last season where no one gives a poo poo any more and the story lines are stupid

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Whitlam posted:

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Cross post from the Auspol thread but a dipshit former politician just had his defamation defence colourfully dismissed. He's been told he has to file a new one by Sept 28.

“ethnic Negro people” has so many layers

Calling the peoples that had their land taken away by white people “ethnic”

Using the word negro in 2018

Using the word Negro is refer to a variety of different African people

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 30, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Valentin posted:

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

Take whatever easy classes that give you a schedule with the most free time available so you can do all the fun poo poo you’re gonna miss when you go graduation to studying the bar to being a first year associate

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

15 was exactly when I started (the normal age in Russia is 18 - 19, right out of high school). I learned Swedish while getting ready for my year in Sweden and also during that year in Sweden. Russia does not, to my knowledge, have the time machine techology

Yea you're gonna have to elaborate more on this.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

I started and finished school early, then I went to law school. Law school doesn't work in Russia like it works in the US because there is no college in its US meaning.

After high school, a teenager goes either to college to learn a trade (these people, with the exception of hairdressers, are almost considered second-sort, due to educational inflation), or to university for a bachelor's degree.

Law degree is a bachelor's degree like a million other bachelor's degrees. I finished mine at 19, but then I was fart-loving around for a few years getting more degrees (the jury's still out whether said fart-loving was for better or for worse for me in the long run)

I just use "law school" as a shorthand because this thread is 99% US and otherwise it's even harder to explain away than not having to pass the bar nor have any kind of licensing before starting to practise.

That’s pretty cool. There’s no reason you should need a bachelors before going to law school in America other than schools wanting more money

So you finished highschool at 14/15? How old were you when you started and how many years is that? Finishing high school at 15 in America is some of that “genius level child that has been deprived of a social life” poo poo

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The long term investing thread can probably help, there’s a fair amount of high earners in there.

A tradition IRA is still taxed advantaged, and I think a lot of associates making big law rate will end up making less than big law rates later in life, so I think it’s still important to consider.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Passed MPRE. Calling the bar tomorrow morning to find out when I can swear in.

In Texas you can get sworn in in front of a notary

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm finishing up a sentence appeal for production; 884 weed plants. Out of curiosity, what's the tariff for that like down in the states? My dude got 3 years (mandatory minimum) but the Court of Appeal struck it down as unconstitutional so now I can ask for whatevs.

In texas they weigh the plant and then charge you based on that. So a 1 pound plant counts as 1 pound of weed/bud. how much did his plants weigh
5 - 50 lbs Felony 2* - 10 years
50 - 2000 lbs Felony 2* - 20 years
More than 2000 lbs Felony 5* - 99 years

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 6, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

They shouldn't be charging based on the total weight on the plant. They should be excluding {sterilized} seeds and stems.

Maybe under the statute, but do you trust the police and does it matter how they weighed it if you plea out to something lower because they said you had 50 pounds and are facing 2-20?

I do stand corrected though, I just looked at norml.org instead of digging up the statute

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

But what about my whataboutism

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Things like this is why you have a country-wide official language

The only thing an official language would do in America would be making it easier for republicans to deprive minorities of their rights

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

I have unfortunate news - I have spent some time in D&D and it has come to my attention that all lawyers are responsible for the actions of all of their clients and also for every single other person at your firm, regardless of size.

Going to suck for the Crim Law and Big Law folks.

Yet they love Evilweasel

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I'm having a slow week, maybe I'll hop over to DND and try to swipe a proby for fun

you can go argue with the idiot that keeps talking about murder 2 under Texas law

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

See this is what we need more of. Bugfuck crazy US legal shenanigans. Did you know that you guys practice something called a "deposition". It's the weirdest thing, it's where you don't allow a judge to watch a witness lie in real time but instead have lawyers there to badger the hell out of witnesses and then write down that witness's fuckups. It's amazing.

You also have "jury selection" which is just... :psyduck:

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Jurist-who-admitted-to-sexting-and-popping-pills-11273782.php

JP Court judge was sexting her bailiff and using bailiff to get her drugs, which she used while presiding over drug cases

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

These title sequences are weird
Can it just be three seniorities of associate followed by three seniorities of partner + managing for either to define the managing function?

it usually is just (maybe junior) associate, senior associate, partner (maybe junior and regular partner), kind of like you describe

The other titles, like staff attorney, as to shame people into quitting or leaving, or calling them Of Counsel so everyone is aware they didn't make partner. Gotta make sure everyone knows where you stand in the pecking order

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Loving the parenthetical in paragraph 120

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Do I not understand something or does that complaint contain exactly zero references to legal authority?

It cites a few statutes for diversity jurisdiction. In US federal court, you don’t necessarily have to cite a bunch of case law or statutes in your complaint. You just have to plead a plausible cause of action for which relief could be granted (this is the basic version of the text).
The elements of defamation are pretty basic, and it lays out the elements required, ie false statement, reckless disregard for the truth of the matter, damages.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Adar posted:

Is there a lot of caselaw on what qualifies someone as a public figure?

I would have assumed he isn’t and also have been smug for the completely opposite reason, but I really have no idea.

Yes, there's a bunch out there, depending on what state and/or federal. He probably isn't a general public figure, like the president would be, but he maybe/probably is a limited purpose public figure due to his involvement in the cave rescue, being on the news a bunch, getting into it with Elon Musk, etc. Limited purpose public figures still have to show actual malice, but I would guess that a very well know, vocal billionaire tweeting that a (heroic cave rescue) dude is a pedo and then doubling down on it repeatedly would qualify as actual malice, unless Elon has some very very very convincing reason to assume the guy was diddling kids

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I mean sure, but I was referring to like, I can put a few in an apartment in the city, probably ten or so in the summerhouse, eight at the most up at the cabin, so you're gonna have to be willing to have a rotation I think. Who likes crab fishing and northern lights? I posted about the summer house in my DIY thread:

So you're gonna have to learn to share.

So you have an apartment, a cabin, and a summerhouse? Is land just free over there or something

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Serious question that I know would never happen for a heap of reasons, BUT: what if the other SC Justices just straight up refused to work with him? What would happen if they just boycotted/went on strike and said "we refuse to hear or judge cases while he's sitting here with us"? Would there be any recourse to that, or anything Congress could do? Can they even be fired for any reason?

In Australia we have age limits (70), which has pros and cons, and they can be removed for "proved misbehaviour" and "incapacity".

Congress could impeach them, that’s about it. Supreme Court justices can’t be fired, they largely self regulate, and impeachment is the only thing that can be done to them, but it requires a 50%+1 vote in the house to impeach and 2/3rds vote in the senate to remove, so it’ll probably never happen (no one will vote to remove a justice that aligns with their political beliefs)

Rumor is everyone already hates Gorusch, but it keeps functioning

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Midland really sucks, because with oil prices booming, hotels are like 300 per night. I have cases there and the state refuses to pay for me to stay. They recommended I "fiigure it out."

Big spring sucks even more though.

Now that is some bullshit

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I’m excited for six more months of Toona

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: that might not be too bad of a plan. Reminds me of HankCo.

In employment news, I interviewed via gotomeeting today with the COO/HR head of a firm that spans four states and has more than half a dozen offices in state. They don't have an opening in my town, and the spot I really wanted is getting offered today to someone else, but there are still other statewide openings where they think I'll be a good fit. They're going to schedule a second interview down in Orlando with the equity partner that runs that branch. It's 100% workers comp defense for insurance companies, but if there willing to pay alright it doesn't sound bad.

They had me take a behavior and cognitive assessment prior to the interview. I asked about my score on the cognitive test because I was curious. The test itself advertised a strict 12 minute time limit and said most people do not finish all questions. She seemed shocked when I said I finished all 60 questions with 5 minutes left. She told me scores are strictly confidential, but that I scored beyond exceptionally well. I figure that translates to only one or two incorrect. Regardless this is only my second time to get an interview callback, so I'm a little elated even if it means I have to move.

Good luck but that just Sounds like a sweat shop firm. How are there 12 cities in Florida worth having an office in, are the meth accidents that numerous

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 19, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

it'd be like imagining a nuclear power mafia smuggling uranium and poo poo.

So Russia?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Wait, so the yakuza have an earthquake machine???

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not one of those goons who is super into Japan, but my rudimentary understanding is that their government and economy is more corrupt, and parasitic organized crime plays a larger, more accepted role in society, than basically any other nominally democratic country.

Worse than the Republican Party???

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Having spent the last week in France I can confirm that everyone I talked to who brought up Macron disliked him, running the gamut from country farmers to wealthy retirees to May 68 leftists.

However everyone also thought Le Pen was a shithead.

Hollande left office with like a 4% approval rating, and his predecessor is under investigation for corruption, so pretty sure France just elects than hates idiots

Macron fits the bill perfectly

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

None of the space fighting makes any sense when you could just hyper drive asteroids thru star destroys or death stars or into planets

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Fury Road came out while I was in law school. Sat in the front row with a few friends, open bottle of wine in hand. There are probably better experiences in life but I doubt they're for me.

Only action movie I took my (now) wife to where she suggested going to see it again

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

75 new posts and none about me.

Not everyone can be a trial wiz. However, opposing counsel on a case I got recently is a Cooley grad so I might have some fun stories

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

She offered $50k but I wanted to see if I could get $55k. I told her I’m worth a tax credit and asked for $60k. She said $55k with a bump to $60k on April 1st next year. Looks like I have a job. :grovertoot:

Congrats dude

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

homullus posted:

How long ago was the previous one?

Toona successfully avoiding being a lawyer (momentarily)? Does it count if it doesn't last?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

Goddammit. What am I looking for?

https://www.gq.com/story/the-lasts-tweets-of-jacob-wohl

Imagine trying to scam mueller. Now imagine doing that as a loving idiot

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Yea I wouldn’t ever hire a mediator that didn’t have at least a decade of practice or being judge, and I think even if I wanted to either the other side or my clients wouldn’t agree

quote:

zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and impulse control issues
JP court is kinda fun tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I bill 180-200 pretty regularly at a fairly small firm and it doesn’t even seem like that much. Like I would be billing 220 a month if I wanted to feel like I wasn’t always behind the work I need to do

I’d rather just be behind tho so. I’d also rather be being 200 a month than working 80 hours a week at $11/hr or whatever the other 80% of my generation does