Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
As we say over in the football subforum, good op op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'd do an effortpost about Russian law market but honestly all you need to know is that Russia is a loving lie and there is only Moscow (I don't work in Moscow because I couldn't afford rent if I were to move to Moscow) and the best salary you can expect for the first couple of years out of law school is maybe 60k rubles/month, which would translate roughly to about 30k$/year in NYC, making "okay work expects me to wear a suit what the gently caress do I buy a suit with" an actual problem that exists among junior lawyers. That's the best case scenario, too

Also, all contracts and disputes involving any significant amounts of Russian money are subject to English law and the jurisdiction of English courts anyway

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 8, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

I was doing a screener interview the other day and someone had the following in the interests section of their resume:

"maintaining my dog's instagram page"

Is that a thing that is acceptable to put in your interests now?

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

crying myself to sleep on a pallet stuffed with money

Where can I get that pallet

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I've had the court issue an order releasing an arrested ship, then removing it a day later from the big public database (imagine a single docket for all commercial courts in the country, but one that doesn't serve a purpose other than publishing orders and decisions/judgments/whatever you call them there's like 15 different names for different judicial acts none of which translate into English). The court first pretended it never happened, and later claimed that it was a "malfunction in the upload software which resulted in a draft order being uploaded instead of the real one" (it is as dumb as it sounds)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tipps posted:

Are allayall Americans saying that you guys don't have a US equivalent of Canlii?

Bless your hearts.

Holy poo poo this is amazing

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

For your collective bemusement. "Pace" is a drug being marketed as a dietary supplement that increases the enjoyment of, and reduces the harmful effects of, alcohol (its active ingredient is theorized to work by triggering a satiety receptor, but just lol if you think it's passed even the most basic of safety testing). Check out the insane liability waiver language on its website as well as the parts where the manufacturer is actively seeking investors- and where the labeling is conveniently blurred in all the photos. All courtesy of the "Diet Alcohol Corporation of the Americas."

I need to find a way to fast-track report this to FDA.

Requiescat in Pace

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

I mentioned this in the last thread, I'm still kind of interested in Singapore or Dubai. I recently spoke with an alumni who did international commercial arbitration in SG and HK and it sounds pretty good, the lack of tax for non-Americans and availability of affordable domestic help are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a. I like Dubai but education isn't one of its strong points and by the time I get there I will have school age children. Not so big on HK now for that reason, and TLS and friends who have been there say that the kind of work they do in HK is lovely and life-draining and there's no opportunity for personal development.

- Are there big opportunities for US-trained lawyers as opposed to UK?
- Do they pay $190 +CoL? That would go pretty far in Dubai at least although maybe not SG.
- What practice area should I start off with in the US? My firm has a pretty big and well-established PE/alternative entities/fund formation practice and that's what I'm thinking of, but corporate litigation is big too. I assumed that litigation wasn't really what they wanted outside the US but with the arbitration stuff, maybe?

Of course you're fine with Sharia

Post the emails

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's actually fascinating how despite the prominence of US business, it's English law that reigns supreme worldwide (of course, a lot of it is former UK colonies and the fact that US is 50 legal systems).

Unrelated: I quit my litigation job two weeks ago for a phantom chance at a PhD in Europe (PhD is normally a mistake in Europe almost to the same extent as in the US, but "leaving Russia" is a goal that quashes such minute considerations). A week after my announcement on LinkedIn, the biggest Russian firm shoots me up for a position in their international arbitration practice

great now what

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 14, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

take it and then get a transfer to anywhere in the world you actually want to live in

Oh how I wish it worked like that
But I'm Russian-qualified, I wouldn't be able to get a transfer even if I were to work in a Moscow office of a magic circle/biglaw firm

Had that been an option, I would've jumped the chance without a single doubt

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe try to work for a US/UK firm in Russia anyway? I can only imagine that this would help your chances of eventually getting out, even if they have no interest in letting you transfer internally.

I tried. The problem with these is the market.

Virtually all business for lawyers in Russia currently comes from litigation (especially bankruptcy, because no one who isn't a Putin crony has any money). With the singular exceptions of Clifford Chance and Dentons, UK/US firms do not have substantial litigation practices in Russia. Their bread and butter are contractual and M&A work for London offices, and, for some of them (Norton Rose, Freshfields, and Baker McKenzie, most importantly), international arbitration (which is often lumped with litigation into "dispute resolution"). Litigation clients can't afford US/UK firm rates, and, if we're being real, Russian firms are much better at litigation. There are no contracts or M&A work because Russia is Russia. As a result, none of these practice areas have enough work for these firms to warrant any hires other than an occasional paralegal (which isn't the same thing as it is in US/UK, in Russia paralegal is like a junior junior associate/legal secretary/translator) straight out of a top three Moscow (remember, there is no Russia, there is only Moscow -- and I'm not from Moscow) law school once every year or two. It can be more or less egregious (Skadden for more, Dentons for less), but the general pattern is the same in every one of them

The only way I'd even be considered for one of these firms would be if I were to qualify under English law

E: Getting qualified under English law would require me to go to England and spend 3 years studying for a GDL. The "go to England" part is still problematic. And no one will give me a loan, which I would inevitably need to be able to afford it

E2: dammit I thought I was too lazy to do an effortpost but apparently I can do effort just fine as long as it's me complaining

E3: I forgot about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, they also have a litigation practice from when they were Goltsblat BLP (yes they had a Russian partner's name in the firm name, it was officially "Goltsblat BLP, the Russian practice of Berwin Leighton Paisner". The dude, by his own admission, lucked out with helping Mars establish presence in Russia in the early 90s and therefore became an eminent practitioner)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I already have a Swedish LLM and no, Swedish firms don't care. European firms that aren't Beiten Burkhardt are in the same position, just scaled down a bit. Or a lot.

A US/UK LLM won't be quite that useless, but it won't be of much help either. As I said, these firms simply never have openings, and that won't change until the inevitable paradigm shift that will happen when Putin dies or gets too old to have control over anything. Assuming that the shift will be for the better, which isn't a given

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

That's weird. We have a municipal arbitration council which is a non-law first tier (often mandatory) step before you can file a case with the courts. Like a pro se bonanza. It fucks up everything, all the time. The best part is that it is immune to procedural objections (because they are all idiot lay people and don't know and can't follow civil procedure) and they serve people by simple mail. Yeah, they send you a letter and if you don't get it, sucks to be you because then they have an unlimited ability to render summary judgement against you. Whupsy! And every mail fuckup is considered a procedural issue. Which you can't do anything about except file a full lawsuit within a month of judgement. Which you might not know about.

I hate them so much.

Russian courts serve by mail only and the burden to receive the letter is upon the recipient. It's literally just a special category of mail

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Well, it's not so strange swedish firms don't care much as an LLM wouldn't normally be enough to practice law as a jurist. As far as I know, the swedes have all kinds of silly ideas. I didn't even know they offered LLMs.

How did you come to study law in Sweden anyway? Regardless, there has to be some opportunity for you to aquire rights to practice in the EU at least. Have you considered Finland? I believe they have LLMs, speak swedish, have vodka, are part of the EU and are nearby to you.

I went to study investment law and commercial arbitration in hopes of getting into the SCC Arbitration Institute legal department or, failing that, a different, probably Russian, arbitration institution (that was slightly before the massive arbitration reform that left only a few of them intact). My plans A - D didn't work, practicing at a law firm was my plan E back when :v:

To practice in the EU I'd have to first learn a language enough to read the law of the country of choice and then read the law of the country of choice, education requirements for their respective bar associations notwithstanding. That PhD that I talked about is actually an excuse to finally bring my French to fluent level and get admitted to practice in that country, whose law conveniently happens to be somewhat popular

What holds me back the most is the strength of my passport

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is getting dangerously close to D&D

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

Pittsburgh has a ridiculously low cost of living, my live-in ex-wife makes good money, I sold my house, and even with one week off out of every 4 I’m making more than my PD colleagues with 5-6 years experience. My company is $26 unlicensed, $32 licensed with no OT limit.

And I thought my situation was bad

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s all good. It’s a common case used at the beginning of property classes because it illustrates some aspects of property law very well while being a little bit fun. I mean, what 1L doesn’t get a little excited at legally haunted house?

I wasn't [at similar things]

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. Ford preemptively pardoned Nixon for “any crimes he may have committed” without charges ever being filed.

Ford also believed he secured himself a place in hell for doing so.

lmao how the gently caress does this even work

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This breaks laws or legal physics or whatever

drat

How do I word this better

It violates my sense of judicial propriety

There

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

a surprising amount of the american legal system, and the constitution in particular, derives from english law that assumed of course you have a monarch

the pardon power is copied from the king's absolute power over the judiciary, the american concept of sovereign immunity is copied from the idea that it would be absurd for the king to need to stand trial in his own courts

Please don't tell me that American sovereign immunity is absolute

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Oh good, it's GDPR Compliance day. I certainly have time for this poo poo. Oh I need to draft a 200 page instruction manual for our plumber's use of personal data, that seems sensible. Ah, this newborn has to sign this consent form well that shouldn't be too much trouble at all.

I'm leaving the EU. gently caress this poo poo.

GDPR sucks and one of the tertiary reasons I left work was that I knew that I'd be the one to have to draft data protection documents for whenever we advise someone from the EU, which was like 3/4 of our work

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be able to do criminal anything and thank gently caress you're not allowed to practice criminal law unless you've passed the bar. This is a legit reason to not pass bar and have a valid reason to run the gently caress away from criminal cases.

Well, that, and the peculiarities of criminal investigation and trial procedures and processes in the former USSR

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

No, jeez. Give me some credit. It's a circumcision joke.

That's a hell of a pagesnype though...ugh.

I have no idea how one would make a connection to circumcision from these posts

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

Actually, law, and biglaw is no different, is a fulfilling and interesting career regardless of the area of law. Every field will have you do important work on interesting and valuable projects that can and will contribute to your professional development and make you grow as a person. All this talk about not going to law school is just memeing and sometimes trolling, disregard that and go for it. You will rarely be bored, I promise

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

hooray I'm not the only one unemployed.

I'm also technically unemployed, but I have described the story quite thoroughly and I also have freelance research and litigation projects, so

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
But what if the plea was procured by liberal application of torture? :confused:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ahem enhanced interrogation.

Where I come from it's just called an interrogation

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That's not even the half of it

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think I might be the youngest here at 24

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, me three.

At least my girlfriend is young.

Yeah, almost no women will ever be interested in a lower status guy, that's like the major unspoken rule of dating adjusted for general hotness. He had every reason to be dejected.

From whence comes crippling insecurity and self-loathing, and the circle of life continues. Nature truly is magical.

What the gently caress? I hadn't started law school at 24 even. Did you start at like 15? When did you have time to learn swedish? Did russia invent a time machine?

15 was exactly when I started (the normal age in Russia is 18 - 19, right out of high school). I learned Swedish while getting ready for my year in Sweden and also during that year in Sweden. Russia does not, to my knowledge, have the time machine techology

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea you're gonna have to elaborate more on this.

I started and finished school early, then I went to law school. Law school doesn't work in Russia like it works in the US because there is no college in its US meaning.

After high school, a teenager goes either to college to learn a trade (these people, with the exception of hairdressers, are almost considered second-sort, due to educational inflation), or to university for a bachelor's degree.

Law degree is a bachelor's degree like a million other bachelor's degrees. I finished mine at 19, but then I was fart-loving around for a few years getting more degrees (the jury's still out whether said fart-loving was for better or for worse for me in the long run)

I just use "law school" as a shorthand because this thread is 99% US and otherwise it's even harder to explain away than not having to pass the bar nor have any kind of licensing before starting to practise.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is also one of the two major reasons why you shouldn't be taken aback if you ever work with a Russian law firm and see that half+ their partners are in their early 30s
That's exactly how it should be, do not be alarmed

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

That’s pretty cool. There’s no reason you should need a bachelors before going to law school in America other than schools wanting more money

So you finished highschool at 14/15? How old were you when you started and how many years is that? Finishing high school at 15 in America is some of that “genius level child that has been deprived of a social life” poo poo

I finished high school a couple of weeks after turning 15. The normal age is 17 - 18. Genius - no, deprived of social life - yes. It sucked

Did you find swedish education simpler or harder or just merely different to what you get in russia?

It was easier for me in Sweden, but I'm not sure how much of it is that I had only learned to properly study by then

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Here we have police randomly stopping people on the street, putting some drugs (in the precise amount that is necessary for it to become a criminal offense) into the person's pocket, and then go on with the conviction. Jail time guaranteed.
No, no one is safe

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Sounds like way more work than just shooting them

A policeman that uses a firearm is extremely likely to end up in jail himself. It makes no loving sense, but gun-wise Russian law enforcement is basically the polar opposite of Americans, i.e. they're terrified to ever shoot a gun.
The point of the entire operations isn't to put people away, the point is for individual policemen and prosecutors to be able to report that they have fulfilled the plan for the number of discovered crimes for a time period. If they don't have a certain number of convictions, they basically get hosed up by the higher-ups on the bureaucratic chain because "what do you mean you didn't meet the numbers, are you telling me there are no crimes?"

People randomly put away is just a minor side effect to them

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Having something resembling money would be nice

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah no a lot of crimes are also immoral. Like, don't do them? Like I said, I don't know what you do with the rapists and murderers and violent people. I guess ideally we'd have tons of money spent on rehab? And tons spent to prevent thepoor material conditions that cause some of the crime.

But like, some people are loving evil and they have to be dealt with. I don't have a solution but my brain is dying so shrug.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...man-rights.html

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

There are people who deserve death, but the state shouldn't be doing it.

Videos can today be forged with perfect accuracy, as can pictures, audio and any evidence you can think of more cheaply and more easily than ever before in human history.

There is no defence for the death penalty and it serves no legitimate or reasonable purpose that life imprisonment does not also accomplish.

For instance enemy combatants, active terrorists, ninja assassins that can't be captured? Sure, though that's more in the area of intelligence/counter-intelligence work and warfare. Actively hostile motherfuckers like that, criminal or not, operate in a shadow territory of lawlessness where the rules of polite society don't really exist. I mean, they do. We have rules of warfare and human rights and whatnot. But there is an entirely practical pragmatic side to warfare mostly completely hidden to the public where in practice no law applies, and I'm not sure for reasons of combat effectiveness and general effectiveness they should. Yes, I realize I'm basically devil's advocating Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. But this is at a level where I wouldn't expect laws to have a place or matter. There's no point in legislating the behaviour of hippopotamuses either, they are pretty much going to ignore you and go about their business and if you arrest one it's probably going to be pointless, frustrating and totally ineffective from a criminally preventative standpoint.

I'm fairly certain that this little debacle is caused by little more than an imperfect choice of words

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Things like this is why you have a country-wide official language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I got what I wanted and I'm practicing a real actual public international law thing
It's an individual project that I was called upon to do in an ad hoc-assembled team, meaning that it's not a full-time job... I'm still approaching 40 hours straight without any sleep. gently caress this