Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Our Prime Minister brutally owned a heckler and his power grew exponentially. I am unaware of any food related faux pas but am confident there's something involving seal meat or whale blubber out there.

I guess the closest we come is Mayor Rob "Chris Farley" Ford denying he wanted to eat out another politician because "I get plenty to eat at home."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I'm finishing up a sentence appeal for production; 884 weed plants. Out of curiosity, what's the tariff for that like down in the states? My dude got 3 years (mandatory minimum) but the Court of Appeal struck it down as unconstitutional so now I can ask for whatevs.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
UN is currently hiring law-talking-guy jobs in Baghdad and Mosul and such to prosecute ISIL. How retarded would one have to be to apply?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

joat mon posted:

Prosecutors gotta prosecute, and with Daesh, your chances of prosecuting an actually evil person are far higher - maybe even approaching double digit percentages.

On a less snarky note, what jurisdiction does the UN have to prosecute crimes in Iraq?

Valid question, and it's because they're putting together a mechanism for prosecuting them for crimes against humanity.

"This position is located within the United Nations Investigative Team for Accountability of Da'esh / ISIL (UNITAD) and will be based in Baghdad, Dohuk, or Mosul, Iraq.

UNITAD was established by the Secretary-General pursuant to Security Council resolution 2379 (2017), according to which it is mandated to support domestic efforts to hold ISIL (Da'esh) accountable by collecting, preserving and storing evidence in Iraq of acts that may amount to war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide committed by the terrorist group ISIL (Da'esh) in Iraq."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Link please.

Seriously though. Disinclined to leave my kid. But. The work I did in Iraq was some of the most rewarding stuff I’ve ever done. If I were still single, would absolutely apply.

P3: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=123086&Lang=en-US

P4: ...gone. It must've just closed.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

joat mon posted:

The current culmination of all of UNITAD's work:

OTOH,
They're doing really good investigation/documentation/preservation work and trying to push for international due process/punishment norms in Iraqi courts, but they're not prosecuting.

I think it would be very frustrating work going there thinking you'd be prosecuting.

Oh yeah, there won't be any courtroom work for years, if ever. But still!

There's also a posting up for actually prosecuting some war criminal shitbags out of the Hague in a retrial if that's more your bag.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=122310&Lang=en-US

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

tau posted:

Been a couple years since I checked in on the thread. Is 2011 still the worst graduation year in terms of employment and prospects at the time of graduation? How are my fellow 2011ers doing?

Still doing the same thing at the same place, basically self-employed crim defence. Have a very cool opportunity for something else non-legal but it would require regular moving around and a pay cut and with a family and mortgage that's unlikely to happen. Objectively what I have is better work with better conditions than most but after a decade it's old and I'm really wishing I had an out so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck here til I die like everyone else in the defence bar.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

Well I guess this is growing up

* lol no it fuckin won't be

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

nm posted:

Please tell me you're gonna work with Terrorist ambulance

I don't know!! I've kept a really strict separation between on and offline poo poo. I know exactly one guy from the old lawstudents.ca forums and that's it.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

Well I guess this is growing up

* lol no it fuckin won't be

This post aged like fine milk. It turns out that filing a complaint against someone almost a decade ago who has clout is enough to blackball you forever :dukedoge:

Back to the grind.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

lol sucks to be the person who tried to hire you before knowing you were blackballed, as their career is now over too

He's old and established enough that I really doubt anything's gonna happen to him.

There's barely more to say. I had a beef a while ago that led to me filing a complaint because of shady poo poo that was done against my client. It's very much in the past, and I've even worked with this person in the years since with no problem (on opposing sides, of course). But someone up there really didn't like it. The wagons circled and after like six weeks of them arguing about it, the Powers That Be decided I am out.

I'd be really pissed if I needed a job but I have an established client base and more than enough work, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Nichol posted:

Oh no Sorry Cmdr. We need more real lawyers at Crown offices. At least around here it is dire.

There's a fun recent post-postscript because I gave two months' notice this week. I'm giving up all my files and taking the rest of the year off come summer while I figure out what to do next.