Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Seeing this thread pop up inspired me to pull my pretty much untouched 25th Anniversary intro set out and start making an attempt to get into this drat game.

My understanding is that after I've gotten to grips with the QuickStart and then Introductory rules that come in the box, picking up BattleMech Manual and TRO: Succession Wars would set me up to play mechs vs mechs combat in 3025 - 3039. Is that right?

What would I need to pick up to then be able to run loose campaign/scenarios for friends to get them into the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks all.

It looks like Campaign Operations might be where I want to head then. The problem I see with the Total War and Historicals stuff is that it then assumes that I have Total Warfare (and possibly Tactical Operations and Strategic Operations) and want to run combined arms games.

At this stage I’m pretty happy doing a lance a side mechs only so I’ll string some battles together or look at picking up Campaign Operations for a more of an in-depth look at campaign stuff.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’d be up for it. How familiar with the rules will I need to be?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My cousin and his fiancée have been getting into miniatures games recently and I’ve been thinking about getting them into Battletech.

What does Alpha Strike play like at a lance v lance level? I’ve seen a lot of talk about how it makes larger games much faster/feasible - does it turn smaller ones into rocket tag?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Torn on going in on some of the Wave 2 kickstarter stuff. Both Comstar lances, desert mappacks, and physical copies of the Battlemech Manual and TRO Succession Wars would be great but it feels hard to justify the money when I've got so drat much Battletech stuff in my games shelves that I've barely gotten to the table yet.

Being in Australia though the prices on the books with shipping are pretty good, and I feel like if I don't go for the new stuff now I'm not going to get a chance to get any of them for ages if at all. Battletech stuff seems pretty scarce where I live so my FOMO is running rampant.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My hot take is that the more Battletech lore I read the more I'm of the opinion that very little of value would be lost my burning it all to the ground and starting again with a reboot, though the time to do that was before the Clan Invasion kickstarter and now that's out there it gets significantly harder.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Battletech Universe book as a way of catching up and getting a broader overview of the history of the setting in a friendly format than trying to piece together stuff off Sarna or reading various splatbooks and very lovely tie-in novels.

Gotta say that between the box sets and stuff like the Battlemech Manual, the Succession Wars and Clan Invasion TROs, and with things on the cards like the new Faction books and Universe book, Catalyst are doing a good of putting together entry pathways for new players. It's still a pain in the rear end getting my hands on any of this stuff from Australia but I also acknowledge that the last few years have been mildly disruptive to thinks like shipping, manufacturing and supply lines.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played my first game of Megamek vs. the Princess bot last night. It's cool to see how quick a lance v. lance game can go when the computer is handling all the dice rolls for you.

Also I got utterly curbstomped! Still had fun though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Battletech Universe sourcebook explicitly because I would like a coherent overview of what happens in the timeline but absolutely cannot stomach the idea of reading that many lovely novels.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Am I crazy for thinking that the upcoming unified Battlefield Support rules combined with the Battlemech Manual kind of sets up a 'middle path' between "Alpha Strike" on one end and "Total Warfare + as many additional sourcebooks as you want to throw into the blender" on the other? It seems like a smart move - CGL get to present a much clearer to understand set of 'core' rules to new players in the BMM with the battlefield support rules and easy expansion when/if they want it, but also doesn't risk alienating long time players who want to keep using the full Total Warfare stuff.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

In for the Mercenaries box via the Veteran level and then will likely build my own pledge out with add-ons from there to grab all the Battlefield Support forcepacks and the new map packs.
That solo/co-op mode for Alpha Strike definitely might get me to play some AS as I have friends who 100% wouldn't engage in Battletech as a competitive game who would love to play it co-op against an enemy.

edit:
gently caress... maybe I won't be picking all that up. :whitewater:

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 23, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It's worth seeing if the Company level is better for you than the Veteran level, just because you'll get salvage packs with the IS force packs then, but you don't if you buy them separately and there's no real difference in price.

Ah, it is, I'd thought the Battlefield Support packs weren't included in the choices for the Forcepacks: Mercenaries choices but Catalyst have clarified that they are so that'll drop it a bit.
Still a sizeable chunk of change so having to weigh dropping all this upfront or just waiting for retail with the wrinkle being that finding retail stock in Australia for Battletech stuff locally has been hit and miss and if I have to start adding on piecemeal shipping fees from around the country or the US I might rapidly wish I'd just backed the drat kickstarter in the first place :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It should at least have the Poor Sealing design quirk.

loose seal :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Not really experienced with vehicles in BT as I've only played with the BMM and haven't dipped my toes into AS or TW rulesets yet - thoughts on which Battlefield Support packs I should prioritise grabbing to have some most common / most generic vehicle options?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, the UCC people are both bad at reading and prone to simply making poo poo up.

Maybe I'm missing something but given a huge number of entries all over CamoSpecs that are basically "scheme was canonised by <rando user name> on <date>" aren't CamoSpecs just making poo poo up too?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

By virtue of being included on the website, that paint job becomes canon, just like getting your writing published in official material does for prose.

Ah okay, I didn't realise there was a 1:1 relationship between Catalyst and CamoSpecs, I thought it was a fan initiative. That's awesome.

Strobe posted:

Yeah and all the novels that say "BattleTech" on them are basically just fan fiction.

Seems like an insult to the good name of fan fiction.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 14, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought that my Fortress-class, the Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support, needed a bit of a glow-up. So I gave her one.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

I also just bought this, but have never read BattleTech fiction before.

Any good advice on where to start?

Seconding Gray Death Legion trilogy. It's a good introduction to the setting/lore as a whole and while it's not amazing literature or anything it's enjoyable enough and a pretty easy read.