Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alpha strike seems to handle it fine, so I'm not real fussed. Gonna field an urbie lam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Crossover chat but BEX for Steam BattleTech recently added LAMs into their mod, I got a LAM Urbanmech. Sold it immediately (For $3 million).

gently caress, if there was anything that could make me come back to that it's this.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Len posted:

What's the best way to strip primer from a catalyst mini? Google suggests LAs totally awesome but I want to make sure that won't ruin the model

I've repeatedly stripped catalyst minis using LA,'s and it does no damage to them.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thank you. I had been pointed to Strategic Ops earlier and while lots of aerospace stuff was in there, it wasn't focused on LAMs at all and I assumed I was just stupid. This is exactly what I'm looking for. My kid is a loving master negotiator though.

"I really want the book with LAM rules in it for my birthday."

"That doesn't make sense. Why waste your birthday present on a rulebook that I'm going to be the one to read just so we can use one new type of mech? Wouldn't you rather get a present you can use, like a storybook or action figure?"

"Well, Mommy is going to get me a birthday present. My friends are going to get me birthday presents. Grandma and Grandpa too. I don't need an action figure or storybook from you. I want to use my Airmech. I don't even want the plane mode."

So that's where I'm at.

Your kid has really solid wants & needs needs assessment, tho, good job.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm looking at those Capellan mechs again from TRO 3060 and TRO 3067 and Lao Hu is obvious enough as it means "tiger" but Men Shen is just... "door god", like a spirit that protects the family home or a temple entrance. There are a handful of gods that qualify as door gods, but it's more a role than a specific deity. Kind of an odd name for a mech, but sure why not.

Nobody would blink if you called a mech "Gatekeeper" so

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Except when you buy durpy ugly mech. Basically just buy mechs I guess.

The worst mechs are always the ones that just kind of exist, exactly.

edit: Speaking of ugly little mechs...

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 28, 2024

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

biosterous posted:

there was that one group in the SLDF that was full of weebs and when they got deployed to kurita they did this, and the kuritans were like "please, stop, what is wrong with you people"

i can't remember what their unit was called/numbered, somebody help me out thanks

I have no idea but in my head it's my personal faction, the SLDF Wayward Son.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Malthusian posted:

I recently rediscovered the old Wizkids Mechwarrior CMG. What's the scale like on those minis? Would the tanks and infantry work with current Battletech's 1/285 scale?

I bought some off ebay and rebased onto hexes, they work fine.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

also Hiro Protagonist is stealing from Neal Stephenson and what kind of absolute hack would do that?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm so bad at freehand, but it begins anyway.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

blursed battlemech

I think I have official decals in my kit somewhere from Robotech RPG Tactics, too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Slowly progressing on the urbie LAM, two more forms to go, now that I have the mech form finished to use as a reference.

e: microset and microsol are loving magic, these decals are ten years old, give or take a bit. Officially licensed, from the Robotech RPG Tactics kickstarter (May Kevin Simbieda die alone and unloved)

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 2, 2024

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Holybat posted:

It may seem counterintuitive but I do want it to sell a bundle because the money may be used for new plastics I'll actually like.

It just sucks it's fueled by an unfunny meme

Urbie lam owns, haters get wrecked.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I'm gonna get an Urbie LAM and I'm gonna go a different route and paint it based of Maximillian Jenius' Valkyrie.

Oooh, that's a good idea for when I get the official one. I'm half done with my Skull Squadron one.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

With this box I will own nine :negative:

I'm thinking Lugnut, from Transformers Animated.

That means you haven't bought the urbanmech company and painted them all as Spiderman.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'll finish these up this weekend.

I'm accepting thoughts on what the bases should be done up as.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Good spread of suggestions - I had originally considered the Flashman to be the anchor for the cavalry lance, but leaning towards the heavier side on the final member might be the ticket.

A jumping Thunderbolt could back up the Flashman pretty well in that case (with a corresponding jump plume mini, to boot). cheers

You're missing a Phoenix Hawk LAM though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

They're done. Opponent willing, I'll take them into action on Sunday, in alpha strike, though the urbie will count as a phoenix hawk for lack of stats.

I learned and improved a fair bit over this, and the next time I do something like it, I will be better, I swear.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Is that an alternate Cent sculpt or did you repose it yourself?

That's my extra Yen Lo Wang and Legend Killer from the target box.

I haven't gotten around to LK yet, but I did the YLW already

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

biosterous posted:

loving the Bullshark

Thanks. I love the chassis, it's such a good looking design, though for the purposes of potential game, it'll be an Atlas C 3.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

An armless chicken with a dorsal gun? How do I fund this design rtfn

Locust IIC in the house.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Took skull lance out for a spin today with a buddy at the game store. Phoenix Hawk LAMs are pretty great in alpha strike, as far as I can tell, I am very pleased with performance. I've got six more mechs ready to go into the same livery so I have a better selection for making forces, that'll use up the last of my skull & crossbones decals, and I'm going to put Zentraedi decals on the clan mechs.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's the Rim Worlds Republic designed Phoenix, the Phoenix Hawk IIC, the Phoenix Hawk L, and the Phoenix Hawk LAM.

Stooping Black Jade Phoenix War Tomahawk

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Doing more IP crimes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hahaha gently caress, I'm in the US, near shipping hubs, and shipping is $112. That's over 20%

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Talked with a dude on mastodon whose shipping is $600, which is more than his goddamn pledge.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Expanded the skull lance out to skull company. Most of the 12 mechs have something usable in both star league and comstar/wob/republic, including like eight mechs that can go into a C3I l2, so it's nice being able to make a bunch of things that will match.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Endman posted:

These look rad btw

Thanks. I get all my best paint schemes from anime, like the lance I did of Gundam SEED protags.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

where do y'all get those tiny cars and scenery bits?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the trashcans came from outland models who print a variety of different scale scenery for model trains. print quality is okay but not great.

if you want cars in space that you can print yourself, i suggest iliada games for an old school look: https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/12750/IliadaGameStudio, or death ray designs for a more conventional sci fi look

Hah, I've actually already got a bunch of Iliada's stuff, presumably from someone posting in the general painting thread. I just... haven't got around to printing any.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Elblanco posted:

Im in kansas city, it looks like there may be a few griups around here, though. Also, a local place is doing a big battletech night event, but im not sure i can make it. I'll try megamek though!

There will definitely be players at Midwest game fest in two weeks. I'll be busy with heroes of rokugan, sadly.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yesterday was battletech day, had an impromptu 3 way game, and got a chance to pose the whole of Skull Company together on a map. One person defending a base, two more assaulting both it and each other, and the defender won by default since nobody was able to keep fighting effectively and he had the most mechs survive intact.

If you open at full resolution in another window, you can see the decals better, along with all the flaws in my painting.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So, goons. I'm moving either next month or in october, depending on whether I can find a decent apartment this weekend, and as a direct consequence of that and wizbro being trash, I am selling my magic collection, long dormant, to my FLGS, and I'm going to blow a lot of the proceeds on battletech.

Like, starting with probably one of every extant force pack, since the collection's heights are an unlimited dual land and a lion's eye diamond.

I really wish Catalyst had an easy way for me to find out what physical books they have in print that I can have the game store order in addition.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hey dude can you loan me like 11k so I can get away with all my bad decisions in life too

Sadly, it's not going to be anywhere near 11k. I'll probably clear a grand, though. I may not do _every_ force pack, but definitely the ones I don't have yet. Most of the value comes from the rise of commander being very good to me since past me was a genius who hoarded cheap rares.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GD_American posted:

You're better off in Ebay.

Ebay is way too much loving effort, I do not have the goddamn patience to deal with selling them myself

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GD_American posted:

I meant for buying game books.

Oh, fair. I've considered doing that already. If I've got a nice fat wallet from selling this stuff, it can become reality. Might pick up some good side items that way too.

My basic shopping list is "one of every force pack I don't have, plus two of every premium mech" and then "a bunch of extra hex foam for my carriers". Sadly, moving to Saint Louis means I can't do preorders, but I'll have to deal.

Speaking of which, does anybody know the state of battletech in Saint Louis?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

haddedam posted:

Had my first BT game after oeming AGOAC for 2 years now.
It was a quick 120 point Alpha Strike game and the first AS for both of us. We thought AS was the kiddie game but after a few turns we realized the fun we were having was not fake.
We had a really good time and it felt like BT.

If you want to play a giant game with a company per side and don't have all weekend or more, alpha strike is very much the way to do it. I am a big fan, and generally prefer it to classic.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Went to midwest game fest this weekend, and while I was there, I got an email that my massive battletech order (1 of every force pack and two alpha strike boxes to gift) had come in, so I said gently caress it and stopped in today on the way back from the con.

Literally today, somebody sold him a bunch of minis they got from an opened up storage shed, and among them were 49 original ral partha pre-retreat battlemechs, plus a few plastics he threw in for free. $6 a pop. They're slathered in lovely white primer, but that's between the mechs and LA's Totally Awesome.

edit: Have some photos. OPen in a new tab for full full size. I cannot identify some of these mechs.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2024

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Left to right, top to bottom:
Hermes II, Wasp, Wolverine, Ostscout
Jenner, Ostscout, Centurion, Jenner, Jenner, Hermes II, Panther

All of the Jenners are broken.

Ostscout (half off-screen), Trebuchet, Commando, Assassin, Guillotine, Quickdraw
Panther (partly off-screen), Stinger, Wasp, Ostroc, Grasshopper, unable to ID

Rotated 90 degrees:
Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon
Zeus, Zeus, Dragon, Dragon
Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops

Rotated 90 degrees:
Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Dervish, Dervish
Griffin, BattleMaster, Wolverine, Wolverine
Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Crusader, Crusader
Awesome, Awesome, Charger, Archer

Goddamn, that's impressive through my crappy photos. The jenners are going to get some kitbashing, and I May have to replace guns/missiles on some stuff, but I'm gonna have some fun with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

All the metal mechs are now in... THE DIP.

Five of them have already come out clean, but some of them are being extremely stubborn, I'm pretty sure there are multiple layers of primer on them. Under all that loving goop, though, they are as beautiful as they day they came out of the mold.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 24, 2024