Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've always loved the feudal themes of the setting and how outside of the official regiments of the Successor States, each mech represented the sum total wealth of some obscure noble family. To that end, all of my random rear end mechs are flying their individual family colors, like sci-fi Bretonnians.

So if they lost the mech the family went bankrupt? Battle tech has a weird universe. I read a few of the book when I was young.

If I wanted to get into the game and bought the video game how groggy is it? All tabletop games look from a distance like they have a million subtleties that'll get me chewed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

BT is on the simulator end of things. Until you've done things like memorize the hit table, target move mods and crit chances, it's best played with a single unit per player. Which isn't bad, it makes for a great campaign.

Is that the hit table per weapon? I've watched a bit of an lp and am very very lost. One unit per player sounds like fun though. Looking for a new fairly slow paced strategy game that isn't managing more than a few units

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The battletech mercenary edition is on sale for like 30 euros on gog. Worth it as an entry point into the game? I don't think I'll ever play tabletop

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Well I bought it to give it a go. I look forward to watching my lance repeatedly die because I can't handle the crunch or make a good mech

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

Until you learn enough to get into minutia, have some slightly oversimplified rules of thumb:
- Default builds tend to have a smattering of weapons at a variety of ranges. The tweaked mechanics of the HBS game make this strategy dumb and bad. Keep the weapons that have overlapping optimal ranges, strip out the others for more armor, jump jets, heat sinks, more weapons at the overlapping optimal range, etc.
- Always max out front L/R torso armor, keep front center torso, and limb armor at least at 75%, back armor at ~50%.
- Ammo in the legs. Always. Aim for having enough for ~10-12 volleys.
- Have at least three to four jump jets on everything. They're a great way to get in or out of a tough spot, get a bunch of evasion pips while still being able to shoot, jump from cover to cover, get behind enemy mechs to shoot them in the rear end, etc. etc. Once you get better, they're not as necessary, but as a new player, they're a great get-out-of-oh-poo poo-free card.
- Aim for Heat Efficiency at about halfway. Higher, and you're wasting potential lethality. Lower, and you're risking overheating, especially in hot environments.
- The best weights for mechs are the ones just below the threshold to the next weight class: 35, 55, and 75.
- Medium Lasers are loving amazing, PPCs are awful.

TL;DR: Up-armor everything. Focus on weapons that work well together. Ammo in the legs. Jump jets good, medium lasers good.

Edit: Stick to 1-2 day tweaks at first, and save the big several-day/week-long overhauls for when you're about to travel between planets.

Edit 2: Also, the HBS game has its own thread.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try this when it eventually finishes downloading...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is it supposed to be like a dozen tanks, bunch of infantry and 1 or 2 mechs on each side?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's hard to get a "lives are cheap, mechs are valuable" perspective if there are the same number of lives and mechs on the table. If every game had like 10 groups of infantry and some tanks that got wrecked then it'd be easier to see.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

moths posted:

I wish I'd known about the scale difference with plastic elementals before I bought 60 of the metal ones.

I feel like a blanket "no politics" when ruthlessly applied will eventually frustrate the nazis and drive them to more fertile territory.

It's not ideal, and often requires more moderating than mods are willing to put in, but there's no good playbook here. "No politics" often has an unspoken "... that I disagree with" which shows up when a chud becomes mod, too.

Sometimes they take the mask off and just go with "no politics I disagree with" though I don't know if cpsam or dnd mods are considered chuds

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That looks pretty dang cool

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

House Kurita definitely has all the worst traits of the other factions, minus any redeeming qualities they might have. A lot like the Jags.

It's not their fault, they have to live in jacksonville

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DrPop posted:

Word, I understand where you're coming from. Maybe I've just been on the bad end of :battletech: too many times to consider it viable.

I feel like the only logical outcome of this is a "1v1 me mid" in MegaMek.

Yes please. I know little about this game but that would be interesting to see

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Do mechs ever fight in space or do big capital ships blow each other and all the mechs/dropships in them up?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

My kid and his buddy have been running around my house after school all week shouting, "ER PPC! ER PPC!" while shooting Nerf guns at each other. I think this means I'm parenting correctly?

Lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I've gotten back into the HBS battletech game and am thinking of picking up the beginner's box/ the base set to dip my toes in the tabletop version. for 20 pounds is the beginner's box worth it or is it better to pick up the full one for around 50? It looks like the full one has some alpha strike rules which are simplified as well?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Beginner Box:
Pros:
- The only way to get a Griffin miniature
- Comes with a cardstock sheet of the most used tables

Cons:
- Only one (double-sided) mapsheet, which is just barely big enough for you to do 1v1 or 2v2 mirror matches and not much else
- Price point per physical mini is 10 pounds per mini, making the Griffin and (duplicate) Wolverine the two most expensive minis in the line
- Beginner rules are probably too simplified

Core Box
Pros:
- Much better mini-rulebook
- Comes with a cardstock sheet of the most used tables
- Price point per 'Mech is 5 pounds per 'Mech, which (should be?) standard with the rest of the line.
- TWO double-sided mapsheets is big enough for bigger fights and gives you some variety in your battlefield

Cons:
- I can't think of any? It's a pretty good deal.

Cool, I'll probably pick up the core box then. Messing around with megamek I don't really like the griffin v wolverine, as it seems to come down to closing the distance with the wolverine and hoping the griffin doesn't hit before you get 2 hexes out? How does the griffin open the space up again if the wolverine gets that close?

Also I need to find people to play with lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Disproportionation posted:

I got both recently, one after the other, and going by the pricing I'm guessing you're in the uk?

In that case there's a couple extra things worth noting based on what I got, shouldn't really affect your decision, just a couple of heads ups - despite what the box/listings for the box say the record sheets are not laminated, or at least the ones i got weren't, and they were stapled in a booklet rather than individual. I also got a $20 voucher for CGL's store included - which is useful for getting a couple extra rulebook pdfs/TROs (nothing physical because the overseas shipping is like 100 bucks).

It'll be for the UK yeah. Been looking for groups to try and join to get a few games in with people as well.

I'll probably get the core box, as a way to get into it and then see if a friend can let me mess around with his warhammer paints

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

You generally don't want to 1v1 things with a Griffin. It's a battlefield sniper after all, not a frontline machine. Ideally you want a second unit to run interference so the Griffin can hang back and punch holes in things

That's kind of what I noticed messing around in megamek, though I guess in the beginner box heat isn't a issue

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A question on resolving crits

If something gets hit with 2 SRM missiles and the first one TAC crits the CT damaging a gyro does the mech do the PSR and fall over if it fails before the second missile hits? If so, does the second missile now hit relative to the now prone mech?

like if the first one was a shot to the back but the mech falls on its back, is it now a front shot for the second missile?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok, so to make sure I've got it shooting phase is
Declare shots

Resolve attack x, along with its associated crits/ammo explosions/part destruction/pilot injury
Resolve attack y, along with its associated crits/ammo explosions/part destruction/pilot inury
etc.

Any mechs that are destroyed or have dead pilots from the above are removed

psrs/falling down triggers created during resolving attacks are put on the stack and resolved

Any mechs that are destroyed or have dead pilots from the above are removed

Go to physical attacks phase and do it the same way?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Isn't that what makes one of the light mechs in the agoac box really difficult? I want to say it's the Jenner but it's an 8/12 that really needs initiative to be effective

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DrPop posted:

Yes, both the Jenner and the Jenner IIC had No Torso Twist. They also have No/Minimal Arms, which is a penalty to PSRs when attempting to stand up.

Ah yeah. Messing around with the box on my own it's deadly to a Jenner that gets knocked down.

One day I'll find some people to play 3025 rules with :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cut the head off that and it looks like that Megaman enemy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One round is 10 seconds right? Is 3 minutes to go from 2 lances getting each other on sensors to 6 smouldering wrecks and 2 half functioning mechs normal in the universe?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Muir posted:

Rough paint scheme test for my merc company (Contrast paint and regular paint).

Sweet paint scheme. If I ever paint my minis I was thinking of a similar scheme!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

1st amendment. Y'all would be doing backflips if it was left-wing masturbatory fantasy.

I just want to have giant robots punch each other.

I would not being doing backflips if cspam got deleted, actually

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What the gently caress is a left-wing masturbatory fantasy?

C-spam lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhotoKirk posted:

From what I saw posted of Pardoe's book it looks just as absurd as Harrison Bergeron. Stupid as hell, but the odds of me reading it are zero.

Harrison Bergeron is a fun but ridiculous short story though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like the 3025 tech in the agoac box, but that's probably because it's all I've messed around with and also is the setting for the PC game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chainclaw posted:

wtf why would anyone ever think a clan mech is better than an inner sphere mech. This is finally proof that inner sphere design is better:

I didn't think there would be enough space in the cockpit for a pilot to shuffle around like that. How big is a cockpit relative to a person? Mw5 makes it look like the pilot is surrounded by their controls

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There's a battle tech event late this month using the agoac rules at 5000 BV, nothing past 3049. I'm thinking of going because it'd be fun to play some games at a newbie friendly ruleset but 3 2-hour games in a day sounds like a long intro to the game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think I'll back the ks at the veteran level. Am I reading right that there are now salvage boxes tossed in at that level? I'm having trouble following exactly what's in each tier after unlocks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Trying to pick out force packs. I don't know that much about mechs, but I do want the battle&fire or assault&cavalry tank pack. Other than that I only know 1 or 2 of the mechs in each pack.

The clan stars seem cool, even if the cavalry one has 3 variants in the agoac box, and the legendary pack 3 has marauders and a timber wolf which seems like a really cool mech too. The inner sphere security Lance has some real fun mechs in it.

If I've got the agoac box now and want to expand which packs would be good to get? I'm sort of basing my choices off poptarts' posts and what mechs I thought were neat in the HBS game.

I will probably never paint these.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the big post poptarts. I ended up going in at battalion level because I wanted extra minis and have poor impulse control :doh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Might drop back to company if it crosses 7m. 4 force packs + buying one seems alright, don't think I need 11! packs

All these packs and not one hunchback though :(

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 20, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It is, I was hoping I could get it as a pick in the kickstarter though. Maybe I can trade someone after the fact

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

11 packs is so many options.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That kind of makes sense though. The higher ups are pushing pieces around a table, the mercs are the ones actually doing stuff with the big stompy robots we're all here to see

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The only part of a battle tech book I remember from my childhood is one bit where I think a gladiator ends up a riot on the planet.

I'm guessing it would've been on Solaris VII, but I mostly remember it specifying how many tons of armor were destroyed on each part of a mech by each shot and lmao.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

As many JRF-7s as you can. Sprint like a motherfucker and get them in the back and outnumber the hell out of them as your force gets oneshotted if they hit

Something with like 7 jump jets is probably even better for TMM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

How to fight clans post

Edit: You could also laugh at the idea of trying to engage the Clans and bring 7 Blitzkriegs (8911 BV) and a Hollander. I call that the Defiance Industries method.

This was really interesting to read. As someone who doesn't know much beyond the most basic of introtech and HBS battletech what do you mean by this bit?