Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just got the new version of Total Warfare with the classic Atlas on the cover and it's great.

Also, 3D-printed Mechs own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

There are a couple of people who make 3D-printed minis and models of the MWO "sculpts," which are quite excellent. WarHansa is a Russia-based retailer and there are a few others. WarHansa is pretty solid, but their material seems a bit brittle at times.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Pretty happy with the minis in the GOAC set.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

So, for those of you who don't follow Battletech fiction, I STRONGLY recommend reading Forever Faithful, Blaine Pardoe's latest novel which just released this week, which revisits some characters long thought dead, and the ending kinda says that the Wolves will find them surprised if/when they take Terra about them NOT being ilClan.

BIG SPOILERS BELOW

It revisits Trent, the "traitor" who gave the Inner Sphere the Exodus Road, the path that was taken in Task Force Serpent, and his nemesis Paul Moon, and how they together turned the remnants of the Smoke Jaguar into the Fidelis. The ending has the Fidelis landing on Terra, with Moon scattering Trent's ashes on Terra, and stating that they are the first clan to set foot on Terra, therefore when the Fidelis reemerge as Smoke Jaguar, they are ilClan.

Man if that's true then lmao, I actually kind of like it. I just assumed that Wolf would be the ilClan because of course, but if this sets up some weird tension/conflict with a Nu Com Guard fully reconstituted Clan Smoke Jaguar then that kinda rules.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here's my poorly-painted Awesome from the new box set. Was going for a kinda beaten-up merc look.

Notwithstanding my shiity paint, this mini was such a joy to work with compared to previous BT stuff. Really looking forward to the next one.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Those models look fantastic. I really hope the Vulture/Mad Dog is in this Kickstarter, too. I will definitely back it regardless.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

On the one hand the turnout rules, on the other I can't wait to see what Catalyst screws up

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I voted Howler. I really, really hope that the Black Lanner doesn't get voted off.

Actually I hope none of them get voted off

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mechs good who cares

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Spherecucks be like

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Thank you for your rousing defense of the caste-based, poverty-stricken, genocide-legalizing fascist regime.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

No really it takes some cojones to talk about ethnic cleansing when the Clans are doing it at the point we're at in the timeline now. It's all cool because they're genetically unclean, right?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have to say I really like the concept art for the elemental. It manages to look like something that could conceivably be worn while at the same time looking actually toad-like, unlike the original which always looked more like weird samurai armor. Narrowing the torso and moving the backpack missile pod forward (so the missiles resemble big bug-eyes) helps immensely.

Yeah, it looks great. I hope they rework and release some other updated Battle Armor designs for the IS and Clans (though I know the focus is on Clan Invasion stuff so maybe not IS BA just yet). Salamander BA rules and the design doesn't even need that much updating.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Salamanders made such fun enemies to throw the players against in the RPG. They can walk on ceilings.

I didn't even think of that. That does sound fun as hell.

Some of later BA designs are just so weird. Chassis like the Sylph is pretty drat handy, but I have never ever found a good use for Ironhold Assault Armor, for example. If you can't rip out a mech's hips with your tiny claws, what's the point?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're also complete monsters in Alpha Strike. Because yes, a Battle Armor did need to have more damage potential than the Summoner.

Hahaha, that looks wild. How is the Summoner Prime so bad? I know it's not a min-maxed monster in CBT, but having its damage capped at 4 at all ranges doesn't seem too impressive. Surely a CERPPC should hit a bit harder, right?

CAVEAT: The above may read stupidly because I've never played Alpha Strike and am not very familiar with how it works

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Damage in Alpha Strike is 1 point for every 10 (or fraction thereof) damage a unit does in tabletop. The Summoner actually gets a little leeway here since its LRM-15 averages 9 damage (10+15+9 = 34, which is 3.4 damage that gets rounded up to 4).

4 is actually respectable, most IS heavies get 3-4. Clan heavies average 4-5.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How does my son, the Linebacker D, stack up in game terms? http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/1889?skill=4

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hell yes that's my jam. My favorite Lanner config

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I picked up a PDF copy of TRO: Clan Invasion and the introduction is written by a "Star League Loremaster Stephan Roshak", addressed to an ilKhan, and dated to October 24, 3250. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke or what

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Someone donate $80000 so we can get to $1.5 mil thanks

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

CJF is fun to play as because most all of their regular frontline Omnis have pretty glaring weaknesses, while their secondline mechs are insane (though this is true for a lot of Clan designs, to be fair).

Night Gyr Prime at 3,900 BV with a 3/4 pilot, what up!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Man I hate how they arranged the boxes, almost every one of them has a mech I really like, 1-2 are ok, and the remainders I dont care for. I am sort of thinking about just getting the first 2-4 boxes on the thought that they will be the first out and just get the others as they come. My biggest concern with that being I have no idea how well I trust them to have the stock for the others and what shipping will be on the piecemeal releases.

Embrace the designs you don't like. Play them as throwaways in your Stars/Lances and come to love them when they somehow headcap or triple-engine TAC a machine twice their size.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Those look great, dude! Nice job. Nice to see a lance all painted up. I really like the (amber-ish?) cockpits in particular. What colors did you use for that?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Cool, thanks for the recipe. Will try it out.

For easy reference, here are all the mechs in the various packs.

Clan:

Inner Sphere:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Please do not speak of the cursed LAMs

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The old sculpts for some Clan OmniVehicles (and non-omni) really aren't that bad. Check out https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/ for a good online store.

Example: https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/product/1094-epona-pursuit-tank-prime-2.html

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yep! I just generally prefer to buy from Aries because they're quicker to ship in my experience and I find their store to be (honestly just slightly) easier to use than the IWM one.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Battletech is most memorable (maybe, maybe not "best") when it's swingy. Regular CBT is swingy as hell and I love it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That's a great poster. Hope you get a good crew

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer89 posted:

Two of the mechs I've been working on the last two days as Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment:

Mad Dog

Thunderbolt

You're really doing the minis justice. Nice job man

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer let me know that a sculptor with an IG presence (https://www.instagram.com/ablackwe/) has been posting some pics of his work for the new KS, here are his Nova, Stormcrow, and Executioner

I think they look pretty good. Interesting that they seem to have opted for the MWO version of the Nova with an actual (somewhat) twistable torso.

Wonder when they're gonna preview these on the KS proper, come onnnn Catalyst. I know there have been a few other sculpts on the gram too

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The "legendary" mechs look good. The slight differences in loadouts really make me wish they could handle multipart sculpts right now though so we could do some easier converting

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

Is any of the Kickstarter stuff going to make it to retail or anything?

Most KS's I've backed have required you to jump on during the initial funding phase to get access to the pledge manager - is this different?

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I wouldn't count on Catalyst getting any of this KS stuff (minis, boxes, and so on) to retail any time soon--if at all. They have historically been awful at doing that. I bought into the Clan KS because I figured it would be my most-reasonable shot at actually getting good, official minis of the stuff I like.

I would love for them to improve, but I really recommend "staking out your ground" for em now just to be safe.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That sounds like a lot of fun. Nice job.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Given that coronavirus will likely be delaying the release of the boxed set until IRL 3049, I've just gotten some extremely good MWO 3D prints recommended to me by Stanyer89:

Here's the shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HesperusIIMinis

Honestly some of the best 3D-printed mechs I've ever seen. Scaled very well with the current minis. Really good poses too.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 19, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why would you do that

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Cause Catalyst has totally dropped the ball on their Kickstarter?

I don't think that's a fair read on what's gone down at all. Like others have said immediately above, so far the only "official" delay is about a month (and that will probably get longer due to coronavirus). And, as many others have said in the thread during the kickstarter, you should probably have been expecting some delays from the beginning.

Even with several months of delays on Catalyst's end, I wouldn't cancel what I've got pledged. I expected a slow roll-out from the beginning, the third-party minis are just nice extras to tide me over.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 20, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The HesperusII Etsy shop you got those from also has good bases for sale

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Redesign sketches for the Support Star

Linebacker

BATTLE COBRA

Arctic Cheetah

Black Lanner

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: NIGHT GYR :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

All look solid. I think I prefer the MWO Lanner and Gyr but theyre still dope

I love that the Cobra still looks Dumb. But cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mulva posted:

.....there was a time Battletech had White Hats?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Federated_Suns