Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

This isn't an effective way of blocking Jury, if that's your goal.
Nah I just wanted to ride the wave. I like of the characters in the show so I'm glad to see any scene. Juri being a fighting game aficionado actually blew my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Sorry about the lack of updates recently. Had a bit of writer's block. I plan on getting one out tonight...if not, it'll be tomorrow.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter XXI: Who Are You Calling An Unpleasant Girl?

I am sorry for the hiatus. I wish I had a better excuse than "I've had writer's block and I am really enjoying La Mulana 2." Last time, we faced a three part choice as to how to respond to Jury's defeat in the duel with Utena: would we praise Utena's strength, point out Jury's weakness, or shrug and say that all duels are fundamentally luck-based? You all unanimously decided that saying that dueling is all decided by the RNG in the sky would piss off Ms. Miracles Aren't Real, and that it'd just be rude to mock her fighting skill after she handily defeated us earlier today, so we'll go with praising Utena's strength.

Patter Song: To win against a person like that is really something!

Utena: No way, I mean, I didn't really...

Jury: Don't be modest. You won - you're stronger. When it comes to winning and losing, there are no flukes.

Patter Song: (...Jury-san.)

Jury's taking it well.

Spoke too soon. Jury cannot even fathom the idea that luck plays any role in anything, as that'd justify Shiori's faith in miracles. Therefore, if Utena beat her, it must be because Utena was superior in combat to her.No matter how absurd it was that she dominated the fight from the very beginning until a sword absurdly stabbed her rose through the center without slicing her in half, any acceptance that luck might be at play would undermine her entire ideology.

If we'd said Jury was weak, she would agree and the exchange would end with no points gained or lost. If we'd said dueling was luck, however, she would storm off angrily and we would lose one point. Interestingly, Saionji's dinner contains the exact same series of questions, but a different set of answers. If we say Saionji is weak, we lose one point with him as he storms off in anger. If we say Utena is strong, we lose two points with him as he storms off in anger at the very notion that Tenjou is somehow strong. If we say dueling is all about luck, he gets smug, boasts that his two losses to date were just luck, and we gain two points with him. It's a great example of how the different routes require different strategy. (Miki's route doesn't pose that question, but I tend to suspect that for him, he'd really enjoy "Miki is weak," accept it, and thank you for being blunt with him and vowing to do better)

Anyway, scene. We retire for the night back to our room.

Soundtrack: Heart's Dice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WjOy1Bw28

Patter Song: (Well, it's good that I have a bed now...but it's also kind of a shame. Starting today, I'm going to have to sleep by myself. For some reason, I don't feel sleepy...I wonder why? Who is it that I have on my mind?)

Though there was a shocking rally for Saionji, and Chigusa put in a good performance as usual, the winner was, predictably enough, Jury. Sadly, we will not continue our tradition of spending those lonely evenings with Utena. Jury's scene is not the most interesting of the scenes here, nor the most impactful, but it does still move the plot forward, so it's not the worst option. My favorite of them is Touga's scene, but Touga was never going to get any traction here.

After saying we're going to sleep thinking of our special someone, we get up to take a midnight stroll, a device clearly designed to set up a midnight rendezvous.

Soundtrack: Paradise of Reminiscence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEj0E794XQ

Jury's in her model costume from episode 7, at the same fountain Utena saw her at in episode 7.

Patter Song: Oh, Jury-san?

Jury: Hey. It's you.

Patter Song: Your usual uniform is also good, but you look great in that too, Jury-san!

Forward, but accurate.

Jury: Thank you.

Patter Song: What are you doing in a place like this, Jury-san? I couldn't quite get to sleep, so I went out for a night stroll.

Jury: Same here. I couldn't sleep, either.

Don't flatter yourself. That said, Jury does have a thing for purple-haired girls and she did just see you naked today, so...

Oh. It's not Protagonist Us she's thinking about at all.

Patter Song: Chigusa-san...?

Jury: You saw her, didn't you? The girl who challenged me to a duel. On top of which, you may be unaware of this, but she challenged Saionji, too...and won. But even though she's so skilled, I've never heard her name before in regard to fencing.

If we'd picked Kendo Club rather than Fencing Club earlier today, we could've seen Chigusa demolish Saionji, but then we wouldn't have gotten to see Jury naked, so :shrug:.

Patter Song: But up until three years ago, she was here at Ohtori, right? So...

Jury: At the very least, she wasn't in the Fencing Club while was in middle school.

Patter Song: That can't...

Maybe she's just a fast learner?

Jury: About last night's incident. Saionji seems to suspect you, but I'm of a different opinion.

Patter Song: Then...

So you don't think that we just decided to tape a duel threat to Utena onto our backs despite not being able to fence? How generous of you.

Patter Song: So you think it's Chigusa-san?

Jury: I can't confirm it, but I'm certain she's involved.

Yes, there is. She's a 17 year old who walks around in fetish gear threatening to kill us.

Jury: She has the scent of a Duelist, unlike Utena Tenjou...

:staredog: Or...or that?

Hearing Jury out only gets us one Jury point. Stingy. We did, however, get valuable information about Chigusa: she wasn't actually a fencer at Ohtori three years ago. :thinking:

Thus ends Day 2.

Wait, I just said "Thus ends Day 2," you can't-

Chigusa, you just did this.

The thread went through the effort of having two romantic scenes with Jury and you're just negating one.

Pretty soon, nobody will like us at all.

And how are you even doing this, anyway?

This Chigusa cull can go as high as 4 roses(!). If it hit full force, not only would our relations with Miki and Saionji be zero, but Touga would be at 7% and even Utena would be in the upper 20s. As is, Utena and Touga are still friendly to us, if increasingly distant, while Miki and Saionji are barely above zero. Jury is pretty much madly in love with our dear Patter Song, though, so there's that.

Eyecatch plays as we end Day 2 and emerge into Day 3.

Cutscene as students go to class. Patter Song goes to class alongside Anthy and Utena. (Hey, everyone always says Utena and Anthy, let's mix up the order a bit!)

Soundtrack: School Lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270vPdVVJ74

Wakaba!

Patter Song: Yeah, I'm enjoying myself.

As a matter of fact, I have.

Utena: What's that?

But Utena hasn't.

Wakaba: Yesterday, Sanjouin-san went to the kendo hall, and challenged Saionji-san to a duel.

Utena: Huh. So who won?

Wakaba: They say Sanjouin-san won by a narrow margin! Ah, I wish I'd seen it! It would have been a chance to cheer for someone other than Utena.

Wakaba rooting for Saionji while Chigusa owns him would be something.

Utena: Oh, what a shame.

Wakaba: Kidding! I'm all yours, Utena. Hey, speaking of these rumors, check it out!

All the girls in the background start murmuring excitedly.

Well, they were hanging out yesterday...

Wakaba: You're right! She's hanging off her arm. Ah, here they come!

:staredog:

Anthy: Good morning, Chigusa-san, Kozue-san.

Kozue: Oh? I recognize your face from yesterday.

Patter Song: 'morning.

Kozue: I don't want to hear such an informal greeting from you.

I think we just said ohayo rather than ohayo gozaimasu like Anthy.

Kozue: Let's go, Sanjouin-san. Just like you said, she's a really unpleasant girl.

Patter Song: Wait a minute, what do you mean by that?

Yeah, what do you mean by that? What did Patter Song ever do to you, Kozue? Or to Chigusa, for that matter?

Patter Song: (What was that all about? What did Chigusa-san say about me?)

Utena: Man, what was up with Kozue-chan?

Wakaba: I kiiiiinda got a feeling like they were radiating hate waves. Did you do something?

Patter Song: Nothing in particular comes to mind, but...

Anthy: Especially the person in question.

The very brief glimmers of Anthy letting the mask down you occasionally get are always the best.

Wakaba: Woah, you said something!

Wakaba is so shocked that Anthy spoke up that she forgot to be shocked by what Anthy actually said.

Patter Song: (Does Chigusa-san hate me...? But I don't have the slightest idea why! Why is it?)

Why, indeed?

Soundtrack: Jab up Beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BB8ZXD-AVI

Gym class! Glad we got those gym clothes yesterday from the weird pyramid-shaped clothing store.

Coach: Alright! Today, split into teams according to whether your seat number is even or odd, and we'll have a soccer match!

Patter Song: (I'm in an odd-numbered seat, so I'm on Utena's team! And Chigusa's on the other one. Alright, I'll do my best!)

Soccer! And we're on Utena's team, so we'll win for sure.

Um, Chigusa-san? We did go shopping for gym clothes together yesterday. You do remember, right?

Patter Song: (They're both so great! I kind of feel like they're on a different level...Utena vs Chigusa-san...who's going to win?)

Chigusa is so skilled that she doesn't even need to take off her corset/ankle-length dress to play soccer.

Chigusa: You'll have to stop here, "Prince."

Utena: I'm coming through!

Chigusa: Can you, I wonder...?

Utena: drat!

Patter Song: (Utena...lost? She's coming this way!)

I love that carnivorous grin on Chigusa.

OK, we have a girl a full three years older than us, with more than a foot height and probably considerable extra weight, who is considerably more athletic than us besides, bearing down on us at full speed. Said girl is sabotaging all our relationships in school, apparently says we're an unpleasant girl, and seems to want us dead. Do we Slide into her or do we Get Out of the Way?

I promise it'll be less time between the next update and this one than this one took to get out. Have a great winter festival season, and until next time, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Patter Song posted:

OK, we have a girl a full three years older than us, with more than a foot height and probably considerable extra weight, who is considerably more athletic than us besides, bearing down on us at full speed. Said girl is sabotaging all our relationships in school, apparently says we're an unpleasant girl, and seems to want us dead.
Ok ok, no need to make your hints so obvious.

We'll get out of the way.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

She opposed us in every step of the way, We can't just let it slide

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Let's show her what we're made of and slide.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love the Chigusa and Kozue together sprite. Also, Kozue calling us unpleasant is a great pot calling the kettle black moment.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Saionji Pity Vote Initiative conti- oh, right, let's slide baby slide

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Slide to the left, slide to the right.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If FIFA has taught me anything, it's slide into anyone who comes within 10 feet of you. That's how soccer works, I'm pretty sure.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

slide into her DMs if you know what I mean

(d cup mammories)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slide because she's liable to maim us if we try to avoid her. I can see her deliberately kicking the ball into us, or "accidentally" kicking us instead of the ball, or plowing into us, or suddenly pulling a knife and shaking us, or...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slide, it's going to hurt regardless I suppose so might as well.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Slide!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Slide because we're not taking this lying down.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Slide tackle the smug crazy lady.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Talk poo poo get hit Chigusa

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
God I wish I knew what Chigusa had against us other than "existing." Anyway another for the slide bandwagon.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Double Plus Undead posted:

God I wish I knew what Chigusa had against us other than "existing."

My guess is something to do with "Women don't have to be strong" former(?) teacher-dad or former fencing club member-mom.

Double Plus Undead posted:

Anyway another for the slide bandwagon.
:yeah:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Slide!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I also wanted to say how much I love that, with Saionji, picking "Saionji is weak" lowers your relations by 1, but picking "Utena is strong" lowers your relations by 2 and leads to Saionji indignantly shouting "Tenjou is not strong!" It's the most Saionji thing ever.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, you all! My thread's gold! I really appreciate that.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Slide into those d...

T-man posted:

slide into her DMs if you know what I mean

goddamnit

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bonus Update: An Evening With Touga

What if, rather than following common sense and past practice and picking Jury for everything, Patter Song was feeling a little horny tonight and couldn't stop thinking about that amazing redheaded triangle man everyone loves?

Patter Song: (Ah, that feels so good! I wonder why the air feels so clean...? Maybe because there are so many plants up on this hill?)

Ah, clean evening air.

Patter Song: Touga-san...

Touga: It's dangerous for a lady to walk alone at this time of night. What on Earth are you up to?

I just can't help but think of Touga as Dennis Reynolds talking about "the implication" now.

Patter Song: Well...I just couldn't get to sleep.

Touga: I couldn't sleep because I was thinking of you.

Patter Song: You're...lying...

Man moves quickly.

A true artist.

Oh, look who's interrupting.

Patter Song: Ch-Chigusa-san...

Chigusa: As I'd expect from the Student Council President. News reaches your ears fast. By the way, is that girl next to you your lover?

I love that Chigusa thinks its impressive that Saionji and Touga talk when they're inseparable and Touga can manipulate Saionji into doing whatever he wants him to do. Also, wow, Chigusa.

Touga: Yes, more or less.

:staredog: More or less? But I...but we...but you might be Patter Song's long-lost half-brother!

Patter Song: (Eh...!?)

Touga being Touga, always cutting straight to the chase.

:aaaaa:

Patter Song: (Chigusa-san...why did you say those things...? I wonder if I did something bad to her...I don't get it...I just don't get it.)

Thus concludes the bonus update. I'll be honest, I did this entire thing to get that blushing Chigusa image in. This, of course, has no effect on the game we're currently playing and is completely non thread canon.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 21, 2018

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

That blush looks like someone went over Chigusa's face in Paint. Did everyone in the game and/or anime blush like this?

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

quote:

I love that Chigusa thinks its impressive that Saionji and Touga talk when they're inseparable and Touga can manipulate Saionji into doing whatever he wants him to do. Also, wow, Chigusa.

Touga: Yes, more or less.

More or less? But I...but we...but you might be Patter Song's long-lost step-brother!

I think you mean half-brother. Step siblings have no biological connection, while half siblings share a single parent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Even Chigusa who feels like she's just got everyone all figured out can't resist Touga's charms. :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'll be honest - half (?) the LP is over and I still have no idea what the rose-affection metrics actually convey and how.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

TracerK posted:

That blush looks like someone went over Chigusa's face in Paint. Did everyone in the game and/or anime blush like this?

She didn't actually blush, she just grimly painted red spots on her cheeks while staring Touga dead in the eyes the whole time.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

local trans woman is horny and dislikes clueless cis people, news at 11.

(Still love this LP and you, PatterSong The Poster.)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vauron posted:

I think you mean half-brother. Step siblings have no biological connection, while half siblings share a single parent.

You are right, of course. Fixed.

Xander77 posted:

I'll be honest - half (?) the LP is over and I still have no idea what the rose-affection metrics actually convey and how.

If your affection is going up, it starts at zero and adds flowers for the number its going up. If down, it starts at five and removes roses.

Every rose is worth ~10% affection (can vary, but between 8-12%).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Patter Song posted:

Interestingly, Saionji's dinner contains the exact same series of questions, but a different set of answers. If we say Saionji is weak, we lose one point with him as he storms off in anger. If we say Utena is strong, we lose two points with him as he storms off in anger at the very notion that Tenjou is somehow strong. If we say dueling is all about luck, he gets smug, boasts that his two losses to date were just luck, and we gain two points with him. It's a great example of how the different routes require different strategy.

God, he's such a little poo poo.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

You are right, of course. Fixed.

If your affection is going up, it starts at zero and adds flowers for the number its going up. If down, it starts at five and removes roses.

Every rose is worth ~10% affection (can vary, but between 8-12%).

I知 still confused about this too. For example, the last two images in the last update. Touga has one red rose in the middle of his portrait, the rest white. Does that mean he gets +1 rose worth of affection because there is one red rose? Or plus 3 because the rose is in the third space? Chigusa has one purple rose, does she get +1 because her color is purple? Or minus 1 because that痴 actually the absense of a rose not a purple one?

At the end of some updates when Chigusa takes away roses im confused too, because usually there is a portrait with four red roses and one white, which would make me think each person is getting +4 affection, but the commentary notes that it actually means the person looses one rose? How do you tell the difference between gaining and loosing roses? If a person gains two roses, where do they show up? In the middle or at the left side?

I feel like I知 missing something super obvious here lol. Great LP btw, I知 really enjoying it!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SchrodingersFish posted:

I知 still confused about this too. For example, the last two images in the last update. Touga has one red rose in the middle of his portrait, the rest white. Does that mean he gets +1 rose worth of affection because there is one red rose? Or plus 3 because the rose is in the third space? Chigusa has one purple rose, does she get +1 because her color is purple? Or minus 1 because that痴 actually the absense of a rose not a purple one?

That's them getting +1 point each.

quote:

At the end of some updates when Chigusa takes away roses im confused too, because usually there is a portrait with four red roses and one white, which would make me think each person is getting +4 affection, but the commentary notes that it actually means the person looses one rose? How do you tell the difference between gaining and loosing roses? If a person gains two roses, where do they show up? In the middle or at the left side?

I feel like I知 missing something super obvious here lol. Great LP btw, I知 really enjoying it!

This image is Miki +2.

This image is Miki -3.

See the difference? :v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the number of roses that are a color before any change doesn't mean anything, just how many change.

theres a very obvious noise for adding/removing that you're not hearing too.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
In case it wasn't obvious, we're sliding. Update tomorrow, probably.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

See the difference? :v:

I知 not sure if this is sarcasm but I see no difference here lol. I guess the background with what痴 her face makes it clear when we are losing points though! The noise 100 HOGS AGREE mentioned probably helps too!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Um....when I said "update tomorrow," I meant "update eight days from now." My bad, all. I should be back on a regular update schedule after this.

Update XXII: That's A Red Card

Soundtrack: Jab Up Beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BB8ZXD-AVI

Last time, we decided that it's about time we stopped letting Chigusa push us around and decided to slide into her rather than get out of her way in a soccer match.

Patter Song: (Alright, I'm in a good position.) (Huh...I got it?)

You took the ball from someone three years older than us and, like, a foot taller than us! Way to go, Patter-chan!

Music: Bluebeard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4Fr3gsYBw

Those of you who have seen the show probably associate this music with the phrase "If your soul has truly not yet given up, then you can hear the sound that races through the End of the World," albeit there are no car sound effects here. Instead, there's a very, very creepy sound of footsteps racing towards you, followed by a loud crash.

And the screen fades to black. Chigusa is upping the ante in Day 3.

Utena likes that we stood our ground, even if no one else does. Utena +1.

We wake up here.

Soundtrack: Invisible Roses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr3t2wEE7M

Patter Song: This is...the infirmary?

Nurse: Oh, you're awake.

We never see the nurse.

Patter Song: What happened...?

Nurse: You blacked out during gym class. Sanjouin-san carried you here. Be sure to thank her.

Oh, we'll thank her, all right...

Patter Song: (Chigusa-san did...?)

Nurse: It seems that, due to contact with her elbow, the air burst out of your lungs for a moment. I understand it happens a lot in martial arts, but...it was probably an accident; in soccer, it's rare for people to go that far for the sake of victory.

Rare? For people to intentionally injure others in soccer?

Even Protagonist-Us is skeptical that this was a mistake, although I doubt Chigusa did this to win the game...

Nurse: You aren't really wounded, so it's fine if you want to go back to class.

Patter Song: Yes. Thank you very much.

Oh, hey, wasn't that the...

Patter Song: Huh? That's the fencing hall! That's the chalk-white fencing hall!

But it was a ruined dump the last time we saw it...but two days ago...

She was the one we saw here on Day 1...but every time we've come here since, there's been nothing here...so why now?

Patter Song: Chigusa-san, please open the door! You ARE the one who I met here two days ago, right? Open the door!

Door opening noise happens

And the door slams back shut. That's not ominous at all.

Silly game, I'm using save states. Thanks for the prompt that this is a good place to save, though.

Soundtrack: Passionate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HqnFK6mZcY

Patter Song: (The chalk-white fencing hall is here after all! If I show it to someone immediately...)

Then...what? What are you hoping to accomplish. Also, you know what happens to every character ever who is the only person who sees something who tries to show it to someone...

Guess we're doing this.

Your options for busting into the phantom fencing hall and confronting Chigusa:

Jury, the elegant fencer-cum-gamer-cum-model whom we are already established to be wildly in love with.
Utena, the current reigning dueling champion and our one true friend since we've arrived at Ohtori. Oh, sorry, Wakaba is also our true friend.
Touga, the Student Council President who both has authority and is most likely to know what's going on, and who is a fine duelist himself.
Saionji, the Student Council Vice-President who already lost his duel to Chigusa, as well as having his rear end handed to him by Utena twice, who is arrogant and whom we don't like much anyway.
Miki, the child prodigy who is allegedly good at fencing whose sister Chigusa is dating.

Current relations

Get those votes in, and, for the first time in 2019, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
ABC: Always Be voting for Captain of the fencing team Juri.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Saionji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Juri is literally the most competent person we could ask for in a situation like this (come on, fair's fair!). Also she's our bae, but that's mostly another matter entirely. Mostly.