Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've only read the first couple updates, but it got me to start watching the show, and I just wanted to express my gratitude because this queer-rear end show is fuckin amazing what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

This is exactly what I want to hear. I am so glad that other people get to experience this fantastic show.

How far in are you?
I've just started episode 7! At first I thought the show's severe 90s aesthetics and seeming budget would be a a little bit of a barrier of entry, the show's bold rear end framing/cinematography make it very visually appealing and effective. It actually reminds me a lot of Serial Experiments Lain in that way.

Also, Miki's little mini arc where he wanted to procure Anthy to "free" her was--to me--a surprisingly nuanced examination of how patriarchal societal standards are enforced by older members of the community on the youth, and how said youth may start internalizing these gender roles and begin to deceive themselves to justify doing so. This show's easily convinced me its straight up hella smart, and I'm definitely binging it

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I wouldn't want to sleep in Anthy's bed anyway. I bet it's full of snails! What a weirdo!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Miki and Jury deserve tender lovin for being the two people in all of Ohtori who are something resembling pleasant and can maybe even function in society. Plus, for people who haven't seen the series, it would be criminal not to have us interact with Kozue or Shiori in any way

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I also agree with you trusting the audience's general vibe with decisions. Micro updates are how good LPs die.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Songs? Girls can sing songs, as long as they're not fencing! Clearly, this name was rightfully chosen by our father

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

"Anthy is 'The Rose Buddy'. Whoever wins her in a duel gets to be her best friend. Platonic love as strong as this this deserves to be fought over"

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Akio would 100% have a Magnum Revolver. It fits his teenaged AXE-sprayed braggadocio perfectly

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I think part of the problem is that Utena's male character designs are...not particularly attractive (Akio possibly excepted). Touga is clearly supposed to be the eye candy of the show but even he is strangely...angular. Also, they're all colossal douchebags excepting Miki, and Miki is dull and uninteresting.
I agree that Miki isn't really sexually attractive in his own right, but I don't think he's dull and uninteresting. He's actually one of my favorite characters on the show simply because he gets along with everyone. I guess that's not purely "on him" so to speak, but I think a lot is added to the other characters and the show as a whole in how he brings out a lot of positive character traits you don't normally see from the others simply by being one of the few non-hostile relationships they have with another person.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I thought Ruka looked good but being a totally irredeemable rear end in a top hat even by "man in Utena" standards is very unattractive.

Ruka is unarguably hyper-sexy.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haha you know since he owns that shirt he's like hella into really obscure 70s Prog Rock or, like, pinball.

Patter Song posted:

Holy poo poo, I never thought about this before, but that shirt could totally be foreshadowing for Akio...except manga Akio's not exactly a Wizard of Oz figure.
I really do think you're on to something, The Wizard of Oz is the biggest American fairy tale there is, and considering all the fairy tale motifs in the franchise that's clearly intentional. I haven't read the manga so I don't fully know how he plays out in that adaptation, but wouldn't make more sense for that to foreshadow Touga's role in the plot and not Akio's? Touga's the one who's a paper tiger after all, so he's kind of an empty threat a la the Wizard himself.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

What's up with that Locket?

Let's throw the hail mary, trial by fire baby

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm always down for throwing ourselves into the familial tour-de-force that is Miki's route, but tbh I'm down to go for a taste of that sweet sweet Saionji rear end. I'm curious to see where it goes with a romantic spotlight on him

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

We've seen boob with our wandering eyes, and I think Chigusa would appreciate the honesty.

Also let's go to the Arcade because I wanna know who hangs out there

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

We gotta invite Saionji, it's simply in character for Patter-san to make the most awkward choice possible in blissful ignorance

Also not gonna lie the Chigusa Culling is actually loving creepy in concept alone. What kind of power does she have over Ohtori that she can weaken our social ties to people just like that?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

The image isn't the problem, really. He's shot from the waist up. It's the Protagonist's very creepy commentary that I'm not comfortable with.

Ah, at the end of the day, Patter Song is a goon after all.

And let's try to run into Chigusa tonight. I'm down with hooking up with Juri too, but if Utena taught me anything, it's probably not healthy for us to eat, sleep, and breathe our romantic interest. Let's allow her some space now and then.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Changing my vote form Chigusa to help continue The Saionji Pity Vote Initiative

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

This isn't an effective way of blocking Jury, if that's your goal.
Nah I just wanted to ride the wave. I like of the characters in the show so I'm glad to see any scene. Juri being a fighting game aficionado actually blew my mind

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Talk poo poo get hit Chigusa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My friend hadn't seen the show so we just finished watching it yesterday. I can't believe I like Saionji now, like

Leraika posted:

I actually like Saionji unironically, even though he's a terrible person.

This is not mutually exclusive with my desire to see him get clowned on at every opportunity.
I'm 100% on this wavelength now.

Also we watched the movie for the first time and while it was gorgeous, my heart goes out for anyone who watched that without context of the television series