Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Agrikk posted:

This. I was the guy who donated the five 2U servers to the cause. Tellingly, one died in transit but he managed to keep the others up and running.

In hindsight, though, goonfleet would have been better off if I’d simply sold the servers on eBay and donated the funds towards some proper hardware.

It made for a neat pic of a stack of hardware, though.
The limiting factor on any project is almost always having a leader willing to put in the work to accomplish the project.

There's always a peanut gallery full of assholes telling everyone how they would have done the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

andromache posted:

Educating pilots on how pyfa can inject fits into their pilot, and multibuy... listing ships on contract is wasteful.
As someone who recently returned to the game, can you please :justpost:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm really impressed with how CCP's done with the servers. We had a 2000 person HAC brawl in T5Z this evening and it was perfectly playable even in 10% TIDI. I last played in 2015 and I've been in 4 2000+ person fights since I rejoined a week ago and all have been pretty decent. Having both sides separated by a single stargate makes for quick and easy content 24/7. I'm having a blast. Fleet fights have never been better imho.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ynglaur posted:

I believe you mean 2021-01-12. :colbert:

ISO 8601 is the only correct way to write dates if anyone else needs to read them and if you ever want to sort them. XKCD agrees.

I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but tone is hard to convey in text. In all seriousness, though, you will be doing yourself and everybody a favor if you do your small part to make this the way you write dates in any public discourse.
Also XKCD

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rocketrobot posted:

The main problem is that EVE is primarily a vertically oriented hardware & software stack. I'm sure some stuff for request routing is distributed now. But, as far as I know, they're still using MS SQL Server as their primary database and systems/nodes are reinforced by moving them to a larger VM. That poo poo will only scale so much.

What I'm saying is, it's time for EVE 2.
I love that people have very strong opinions about this, when Eve already can have more concurrent players on a node by two orders of magnitude than any other MMO even attempts. Add in the greater complexity of interactions for Eve players than most MMOs and I'm honestly impressed at what CCP has done. Also, we're not anywhere close to the cap of people that want to be in a big fight. If you could have a node with no TIDI and infinite capacity, I bet you could easily get 30k people to show up for a fight.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of salt, here's some more salt from the combat leader of BRAVE as he tries to blame CCP rather than his own leadership team's poor decision-making for the situation BRAVE now finds itself in:

http://dunkdinkle.com/ccps-dilemma/
I feel like I have read this article every year for the past 15 years. I guess it's brave's turn to post it?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Boatswain posted:

Get out, how?
Salvage behind a ratter for seed money. Get in an astero and go relic site hunting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jazzzzz posted:

...in Sansha space (Catch, don't gently caress around in Stain)
Anywhere is decent, tbh. Angel relic sites are surprisingly consistent and there is a lot less competition for Angel null sites. Guristas are really good too. Why the moratorium on Stain?

Protip for newbees doing this: Look for unidentified wormhole beacons. Those lead to huge hub wormholes that connect all over nullsec. You can use those to rapidly get to another nullsec region and back again. Just make sure to cloak up because there are hostile rats on k-space side of the gates.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

School Nickname posted:

-A quick thought exercise I posted to jabber but got no traction:
-You can make one change to a ship's attributes. Increasing/decreasing cpu or pg, adding/removing a low, mid or high slot, changing one stat in shield, armor, cap, base speed, agility, etc. Changing one role bonus (to something reasonable). Which change on which hull impacts EVE the most? Can one change save EVE?

I personally vote for the Stabber getting an extra mid slot, but that's clearly bias on my part. I swear I am not CCP Rise who will do the opposite of what Goons say.
All ships get drone bandwidth of 0. There, just reduced lag by 90%.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stereotype posted:

i have not had a good night :-\ but i was thinking about it and while i dumbly lost like 100m in ships today, it's not so bad. if that was instead $10, an amount of money i'd be equally disappointed to lose, our enemies currently have the equivalent of $3,000,000 of titans trapped in M2-. really puts things in perspective.
This is off by an order of magnitude. 100m isk is worth about $1. So the 30T isk titan fleet is worth ~$300,000 if you could RMT the whole lot without crashing the market.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cease to Hope posted:

you two misread stereotype's post
Hmmm, I see that I did. To be fair, "If isk was worth 10x, they'd have $3kk in titans trapped" is a really stupid point.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i see a 422 billion isk battle report in m2- from a few hours ago but the site is broken. i assume that's from the major op papi were talling about?
Nope. That's an opportunistic fort kill that papi got on a fort we were deploying in M2-. We welped most of an eagle fleet and a dread fleet.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eltoasto posted:

They know that we are hesitant to escalate outside of the hellcamp since it could be used to free some titans, and have been taking some advantage of that. It has worked well for them up until it doesn't.
Yeah, Asher thought he could drop dreads on them. They escalated with even more dreads and we chose to not escalate further to avoid diverting resources from the hell camp grid.

It was high risk/reward play that didn't pay out hence the welp. Kinda like the HAC brawl on the T5Z ihub a couple weeks ago.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Aertuun posted:

I'd go out to try to make some ISK via exploration or somesuch, but I'm also dirt poor and so if I lose an Astero (which weren't around the last time I played) in a wormhole that's pretty much all my ISK gone :ohdear:
Guide to exploration:

Buy a bunch of "Noise" signaljack filament for ~100k isk each. Make a safe spot that's in the middle of nowhere (the filaments only work if you're 100k from anything). Form a fleet with yourself by right clicking your name in chat. Use the filament and you'll wind up in a mostly empty nullsec system. Explore in peace in a non-goonrushed area. If you land somewhere lovely, just use another filament. Keep an eye out for wormholes back to lowsec or highsec. When you're done exploring, wormhole back to lowsec/highsec and pilot to the nearest highsec system. Dock at a player structure with a cloning bay and install a jump clone. Take all your loot and create a shipping contract to Jita 4-4. Pubbies will ship your stuff for an insulting low fee. Like 1M isk on a 400M isk collateral. Deathclone back to 1dq. When the loot arrives in Jita, contract it over to your Jita market alt and sell the loot. When you want to explore gain, just jump to your clone and repeat the process.

You can expect 100M+ isk/hr doing this if you're good at scanning and really grinding it. Outside of Sansha space (Stain/Catch/Esoteria/Period Basis) and Delve, exploration is much, much safer.

Advanced guide:

Use drifter wormholes to rapidly find juicy nullsec pockets.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Aertuun posted:

Wow, that's incredibly useful info! Thank you!

Do I fit out an Astero to do this or another ship? I've gone down mainly Gallente/Caldari/Covert-ops route in ship terms.

I had no idea about filaments, and assumed courier contracts were a huge scam.
Helios is the gold standard. Aim for that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jazzzzz posted:

Here's my mediocre Helios exploration fit, which should cost you less than an Astero hull.
Data sites that aren't sparking transmitters are worth running. Easy 7-10M per with some jackpots hitting 75M. Also, if you're following my method, the signaljack filaments drop like candy from data sites and you'll need to replenish them as you go because you're not dipping into market systems.

I also don't fit warp core stabs because you're pretty much dead if something locks you anyway. I'd fit:

Cloak
probe launcher/Sisters Core Probes

data analyzer
relic analyzer
cargo scanner
5MN MWD
scan pinpointing array

fitting mods in the lows until it fits
rest nanofibers

2x grav cap I rigs

If you're serious about it, the relic analyzer II is a game-changer. You'll never blow a can again.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Can't log in right now. What's going on?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I wrote a guide on exploration a couple pages ago, but if you're not using filaments and drifter holes to do exploration, you're doing it wrong. There aren't any gatecamps in 99% of nullsec.

If you are somewhere with gatecamps: Scan the gate before you warp to it. Look up all hostiles in the system on zkillboard and see if they are known gatecampers. If their kill log is all covops and haulers, you know they're gatecamping. Gatecampers cannot resist jumping through their scout and whoring on the killmail. If they were savvy enough to keep their scout's killboard clean, I'd probably lose a lot more CovOps.

Also, gatecamps are almost always set up on constellation/region stargates. They're not by celestials, so lazy people don't scan them before warping to them. They're also natural chokepoints. If a gatecamper is in system, don't warp to the constellation/regional stargate. Go back the other way, find a wormhole to relocate, or pop a needlejack filament.

OK, so you hosed up and you're now in a gatecamp. Here's how to survive. First thing: stop and take a deep breath. You have 30s to figure out what to do. That's an eternity. Take stock of the gatecamp. There's likely a sabre at 0km on the gate waiting to burn at you and drop a second bubble. There's a probably an insta-locking interceptor waiting to point you. There's likely a handful of frigates orbiting the gate at 15km looking to decloak you.

You want to pick a direction that's not inline with anyone trying to tackle you. Don't just burn away from the gate. Pick a trajectory that is at a high angle from anything sitting on the gate. Going up/down out of the plane helps also. You're probably at a regional gate 20+ AU from the star. So all the celestials will be in line with each other and the gate. Don't burn towards them. The sabre is probably burning that line.

Double click in space to start your burn, hotkey your cloak and mwd at the same time. You should scoot out of range under cloak. Then you can freely warp off.

Also, I fit nanofibers on my exploration CovOps for this reason. Speed is your friend when running gatecamps. The faster you're moving, the narrower range decloakers have to guess right.

All that being said, there's no 100% foolproof way to run gatecamps. You will lose ships to lag, insta-lockers, or the lucky/talented decloaker. If you're using drifter holes to do exploration, you should be dropping into highsec frequently to set up shipping contracts so send your loot to your Jita alt.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

orange juche posted:

loving poo poo, schaden's gone? gently caress. God damnit. gently caress. :negative:

He's the dude who taught me most of what I knew about eve, and also that Minot ND is a shithole

gently caress.
Why not Minot?

But seriously, Minot makes Fargo look nice.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

RFC2324 posted:

It drives me nuts that almost every 'make isk' guide starts with 'have 30 million sp and/or several billion isk'

I wish one of the people who knows all the money making inside and out would roll a new character, and do the money making bit with no outside support (like being bankrolled by their main) and figure out an isk making for idiot newbies guide.

I can't ask for people to subsidize my attempts to figure poo poo out, the only thing I ever made isk at in this game was ratting in delve with a carrier or an isktar, and it took 5 years of grinding to get to having those. I'm too old for 5 years of grinding
The number one problem with this is that there are two components: SP and player knowledge. The things that are low SP are high in player knowledge requirements and vice versa.

Exploration is pretty low in SP requirements, but understanding drag bubble mechanics and how to travel safely with a CovOps in null sec are complicated and made obscure by CCP's abysmal documentation. Acquiring that knowledge is measured in the billions of isk through hilarious lossmails.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

RFC2324 posted:

Gonna say also conflicting reports, because when I was looking to get into exploration a month or so ago, I was told not to bother without being able to fly covops ships, as well as high levels in exploration skills. Like, you need 5s in the basic skills to be able to reliably pinpoint profitable sites, which is several months of training for a newbie.

Being a newbie apparently involves several months of uselessness and money loss no matter what you do.
Nah, you can find anything with low SP (IV in astrometrics, III in rangefinding/pinpointing, double grav-cap rig, in an astero), it just takes longer. Even when you're at 0.25 AU resolution, you can get another order of magnitude on scanning by holding control and dragging the probes in pinpoint formation in closer together. Total sp time: ~3 days omega.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ASAPI posted:

Ok, clone question time. I haven't found this anywhere so asking:

Currently I have a death clone set to 1DQ
I have some implants in my "current" clone.

If I want to "save" my implants can I...

Create then activate jump clone in current station, thus "saving" my implants? Would that make implant clone the "jump clone" for that station? If "jump clone-no implants" dies, do I go to death clone or "implant clone"?
Yes, you install a jump clone in a station you're currently in. This will save your implants in that clone and place you in a fresh pod. When you die, you'll awake in a fresh pod in your death clone system. To get back into those implants, you'd have to jumpclone into the clone with implants. If you do it from the same station it doesn't start the jumpclone timer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MaxPowers posted:

No mining rigs? smdh

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rocketrobot posted:

If you're going to run an abyssal in highsec, find a VERY quiet deadend system. Don't buy expensive ships in jita with your main. Build a hauler alt and get them in a Transport Ship so you can haul expensive poo poo and not get caught unless you afk or something equally stupid.
Don't make a high sec hauler alt. Use courier contracts. Pubbies will haul your poo poo for like 5M isk/hr.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rocketrobot posted:

Yeah up to a certain isk amount. They're not going to be picking up your 2B collateral 30 jump hauling job any time soon.
They're still going to value their time less than you do yours, or should.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MrTargetPractice posted:

Is there a way to see what systems have certain sov upgrades? I'm looking for Survey Networks

go to the ihub and look. The areas in goon space with survey networks are goonrushed to gently caress.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WorkerThread posted:

I've always wanted to try exploration in a covops + Blackglass implant + Zeugma analyzer. Is this a big waste?
Yes. That's 300M worth of stuff to do what should be trivial anyway.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It looks like papa extracted 176 titans, lost 5 and 137 remain trapped. So they got out just over half their trapped fleet.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

It sounds like they are going to triple down in delve. They have subcap superiority and have been winning subcap fights.
I wouldn't go that far. Subcap HAC battles have been pretty even, despite PAPI bringing 30% more dudes every fight.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lorem ipsum posted:

I tried both of those with minimal luck. A lot of the traffic is covops that just pass through and scan down other wormholes. The sabre thing was a lot of effort to minorly inconvenience a few covops pilots.

I did the math on the smartbomb thing and it looks like 8 smartbombs will instapop a covops so i'm going to try that.
You could try setting a drag bubble in line with the highsec entrance on a wormhole outside of dscan range.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lorem ipsum posted:

Drag bubbles are a bit tricky because there are so many possible warpin vectors in a wormhole. I think ideally I get them jumping in from highsec instead of when they are going back to highsec.
No, I meant on the other wormhole. CovOps generally scan down a WH and warp to it to see where it goes. You might catch lazy CovOps with a drag bubble on another WH in the system in line with the highsec wormhole.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

When is 1v1v1v1 T1 industrial weekend?

Bonus: Make the cache drop something ridiculously bulky so you have to haul 10k m3 out to get your winnings.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

yoloer420 posted:

Wait gently caress. Did they get their titans out? :(

They got out 175, lost 6 and 2 trillion worth of dreads. 130ish remain trapped.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

zegermans posted:

Looks like the war is going bad again
Seems fine to me

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lorem ipsum posted:

Goonswarm of old lost its first carrier because it had battleship reps
The first ever goon Eve corp got scammed out of existence by pubbies.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Their logistics director quitting is pretty typical. Hostiles tend to treat their logistics folks as second-class citizens (or worse.) One of the few things that we do that's actually novel is to, occasionally, treat them as human beings.
This has always blown my mind. Some people enjoy logistics and setting up infrastructure. And all I have to do is pay taxes and be nice to them, and I get to enjoy that infrastructure. Why would you ever poo poo on those people?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rocket_Magnet posted:

Nope, entirely intentional. It was part of their plans when they first announced doomsdays. They were told this was hilariously bad idea but the senior designer who first cooked up player owned titans and superweapons was an idiot, Oveur is a name that rings a bell?.

Then Sir Molle got his on his alt Shrike (avatar) and picked a fight with goonswarm and the old NC (no dot). I remember many a time travelling through fountain in a battleship fleet only to see a lone BoB cruiser come through a stargate and drop a cyno. Then the screen would go white (or black) and you'd wake back up in your clone station. After a few full bs fleet welps to the tactic the old NC cooked up a battleship fit that could take a doomsday, but then OrangeSpecies got a Rag. So then it became two DDs through a cyno. Even if you knew where either of the titans were you couldn't do poo poo as they only needed to stick their nose out of a pos shield to fire.

Dumber times.
They used noobie ships, not cruisers, iirc. It was ridiculously dumb.

And then there was POS bowling, where you warped a titan into a POS that you didn't have the password for and it's knock ships out of the POS where you could shoot them. BoB did this for years. The very first time a goon titan did this, it was declared an exploit. Literally within an hour of it happening. :ccp:

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 14, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tai posted:

A lot of Goons thought the VFK war was some kind of grudge by PL but it wasn't. They were mercs and were getting paid just like PL has always been. The Sky marshal for PL though at the time was an ex goon and he 100% was doing it based on a grudge. Fintrol/Bmerc
Nominally, PL was getting paid. But saying PL of that era were mercs is a gross overstatement. Grrrgoons and third-partying for green killboards were their primary motivation and the paltry isk they got was a distant second.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tai posted:

Ehh I dunno honestly. The killboard part is true for sure. They also did get into a lovely habit of deploying to farm some low-mid level alliance and just dunk of them with supers. They'd get a bit salty when I used to troll them about who's sand castle you are kicking over this month heh. They 100% knew they were picking fights they'd win to keep their KB stats up but still did it anyway.

I used to play other games with a lot of PL members and during the VFK 1.0, they were pretty honest about just being their for some brawls. Even the likes of Shadoo would freely admit that the Grrrgoon crowd in PL had been growing and he and a lot of others didn't like it. About once a week a newish PL member would come onto comms to join a BF3 game or something, ask who I was and make some comment like 'I hate goons' and would promptly get dunked on and kicked out the channel.

I'll add too that they also didn't like the GrrrPL crowd in GSF either due to our friendly past and didn't know why.

Don't worry. This isn't me cheer leading PL. I just get a little sad I guess that we were once buddy buddy and both sides slipped into some dumb narrative and ill will towards each other.
Shadoo was always pretty cool and did a lot to support the game in general. The biggest issue with PL, from my perspective, was that they went all-in on the elitist stuff while recruiting and wound up bloated with the insufferable types.

Also, PL always seemed a lot less effective working with GSF than they did when they were working against GSF. After awhile, you start to figure that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Raged posted:

Our FCs & Strategic leaders are loving switched on legends and the rank and file actually trust them and follow orders.

That's how we win.
When our FCs welp a fleet, everybody laughs, the FC learns from it, people file for SRP and reship.

Apparently most other corps it goes: FC welps a fleet, people berate him, everyone bickers on comms.