Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spivak
May 19, 2010

Kunster posted:

Globo has also cancelled releasing popularity polls since they would give Lula and PT a way larger margin of success, so yeah they're kind of freaking out and the Haddad corruption accusations seem to be bullshit.

The strategy seems to be they hope to stall enough the PT vote so they can slam Haddad with said charges, and hope Bolsenaro can get the share.

At least the comments on that piece are telling them to gently caress off, and Publico doesn't usually have a readership that leans that way. Maybe we'll get another piece on how its illogical to support Haddad by some hosed up monster again!

Bolsonaro and Globo hate one another. Globo promotes liberal social values and neoliberal economic policies. Bolsonaro and his minions fault Globo for promoting "gender ideology".

Hopefully this knife attack doesn't help him in the ballot.

We are hosed, who am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spivak
May 19, 2010
The stabber was apprehended by the federal police. Really don't think it was a false flag, just a dumb guy that sucks at assassination

spivak
May 19, 2010
Bolsonaro's running mate just compliment the good looks of his grandson by praising the whitening of the population. Like, those were his actual words.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Jesus what a bunch of shitbag loving fascists in my country. Has been sad, but really eye opening.

spivak
May 19, 2010
No. Right now Bolsonaro is essentially confirmed as the next president. If the electors of the other right wing candidate simply don't vote next time he already wins.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Yes, I usually watch The Last Week Tonight and find it ok, but this time I realized just how incredibly self-centered it is to entertain US liberals with jokes about really terrible stuff, in this case the threat of violence against my friends and family.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Please don't kill yourself because of the existence of fascists.

spivak
May 19, 2010
We were essentially feudal until 90 years ago maybe? We only abolished slavery in 1888? We were an honest to God "empire" under a Portuguese prince for most of the 19th century? We are still ruled by a conservative land based aristocracy? Who knows man

spivak
May 19, 2010
Never wanted to leave Brazil, but hey, working in Germany now and have no intention to ever go back. Unless AfD gets in power and starts rounding up immigrants, then who knows, I'm hosed wherever.

spivak
May 19, 2010
I really loved Portugal. Thought of trying to pursue a career there, even though the salary is considerably less than most of Western Europe in my field.

I don't know. In the end I really love Brazil so much. Not in a dumb jingoistic way. I just love to play our music and dance our dances and speak our Portuguese. Why is everyone so loving dumb?

spivak
May 19, 2010
Thoughts and prayers

spivak
May 19, 2010
I agree with the sentiment that there will be no major political discontinuities for the amusement of gleeful rubbernecking gringos. There will be a lot of suffering, legitimization of death squads, marginalization of minorities, even greater influence of the worse breed of neopentecostais on politics. But no great spectacle, probably. Hopefully.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Militias formed by military policemen and firefighters control access to goods and services in periferic neighborhoods of Brazil's major cities, notacibly in Rio. They charge for gas (the one used for cooking), ilegal public transportation, illegal cable TV (called gatos), and extort money from businesses and private citizens alike in protection rackets.

spivak
May 19, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

How do you survive?

You pay them if you live in their turf. I didn't because I am bourgeois as gently caress for Brazilian standards, which I would guess also applies to the vast majority of brazilgoons posting here.

spivak
May 19, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

i still don't understand how brazilians define race

That guy for example could be "moreno" or "tanned" if he's wearing upper middle class clothes, or our equivalent to the n-word if he looks poor.

In any case people would still make racists jokes to his face because lol edgy humor

spivak has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Oct 30, 2018

spivak
May 19, 2010
Just lol at the idea of the general population buying multi-thousand reais guns to protect themselves from military police backed death squads

spivak
May 19, 2010

Kurnugia posted:

if you have any ideas for overthrowing a literal fascist junta, id be glad to hear them. im fully aware how previous attempts at that have gone so...

Sorry man, didn't mean to be rude. I just feel that the whole situation is so godamn hopeless, and people that I love will suffer a lot even in the best case scenario.

spivak
May 19, 2010
My family is full of teachers and professors, as are most of my friends (LGBT, also). This is the dumbest education policy conceivable, Jesus Christ.

My dream was to be a professor in my home city of Belo Horizonte. I am never going back now.

How are universities in Portugal, Portuguese goons (portugoons?)? I loved Portugal and speaking portuguese instead of this weird rear end language, I would happily live in a small town with an ok university anywhere in Portugal actually.

spivak has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Oct 30, 2018

spivak
May 19, 2010

Thanks a lot. I am an European resident for the next two years, so I will apply for some positions there for sure in the near future.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Yes, I have an Italian grandmother and my aunt's family used this in order to become italian-brazilian citizens. I thought about trying it too but nowadays it is much harder. And I would rather become Portuguese after some years of residency, since both processes take years or more and I don't really want to be Italian. But I might have no choice in the matter. I will see what I can do. Thanks!

spivak
May 19, 2010
About armed insurgencies: it is a catastrophically bad idea. It is all mostly a matter of momentum. Right now 56% of Brazilians voted for the fascist. So you have the police, the plutocrats, the army, the evangelicals, the new political establishment and most of the population in favor of Bolsonaro. You should just find ways to protect yourselves, your loved ones and the disenfranchised.

spivak
May 19, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The israel worship is really weird to me

We imported that weird Israel-worshiping brand of evangelicals from the US that believe that in order to bring forth the Armageddon the nation of Israel must be whole again or some other bullshit. I talked to a born-again Brazilian Christian here in Germany who was super antimuslim and kept saying that the Israelis are God's chosen people. Go figure.

spivak
May 19, 2010
I think most middle class LGBT people did not vote for Bolsonaro at all. There are some dumb fucks trying to show that they are not "like the other ones", but mostly what you see is terrified people afraid of being beaten on the streets by vindicated fanatics.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Yeah, I just said I have OCD and was dismissed on the spot.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Right? Even if the US intervenes I doubt very much that we will provide anything more than logistics support. The last time we invaded anything in south america was mid 1800s if I remember my history lessons correctly.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Moro supporters I know are completely unfazed. They either do not comprehend what he did wrong, or think he is some kind of badboy vigilante breaking some laws to put corrupt politicians in jail.

spivak
May 19, 2010
This guy is going to get sacked, I would guess. But Jesus Christ, literal Nazis in this government. Like, unironic sieg heil type Nazis. In loving Brazil. In the government.

spivak
May 19, 2010

Kunster posted:

Something I find really weird is how like, the lusophone mainstream press isn't picking up on it.

I think that brazilian media is afraid of reporting it and destroying this very unstable equilibrium, given Bolsonaro's giant stupidity and ego.

spivak
May 19, 2010
He might still be reelected because people are THAT dumb

spivak
May 19, 2010
gently caress, what the gently caress just happened??

spivak
May 19, 2010
The thing is: there is nothing that Bolsonaro can possibly say that would make him look better, but his dumbass is way too blind to see this.

This would be a nightmare even for a skilled politician, and we are talking about probably the dumbest world leader we have ever seen.

spivak
May 19, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

bolsonaro still thinks he can trump this out, but he is no trump

This still amazes me. Trump is always painted as the retarded brain-worms president, but he managed to make the republican establishment into his bitch. Why is Bolsonaro so ineffectual? He had a supermajority on congress AND a majority on senate, and managed to squander it all following crazy people like Olavo de Carvalho. It really amazes me comparing the two dumb presidents, and maybe it's just my vira-lata complex, but our seems to be orders of magnitude dumber

spivak
May 19, 2010
He is claiming that he turned off the heating of his pool to lead by example.

Jesus, this is dumb as gently caress

spivak
May 19, 2010
He is talking about Inmetro, what a dumbass

spivak
May 19, 2010

nerdz posted:

just laughing at the minions on my FB that usually spam forwards all asking for people to stay calm and take some time to analyze the situation

ie wait for the narrative push from whatsapp

This seems unspinable though, as the poster above was saying. Like, there is no way to turn on Moro now without heavy losses, I would say

spivak
May 19, 2010

Halser posted:

loving wild that I'm getting whatsapp chain messages saying that Moro is in league with George Soros now and that this is all a part of their plan for some reason

Post them, please!

spivak
May 19, 2010

Halser posted:

Reading through them again it's a lot less inflammatory, the name George Soros just caught my attention since it's so loving weird that he'd be mentioned at all.

Just boring rhetoric and in the end George Soros is there for some reason.

Thanks! That honestly kind of amazes me, even though it shouldn't. I think the completely unhinged fanaticals were going to turn on Moro, sooner or later, but I was naive thinking it would take a little longer.

I do think Bolsonaros base has split considerably though. The light fascists reading Antagonista abandoned ship, mostly

spivak
May 19, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

surely the PT must be in a killer position to make a comeback now that the replacement governments have been either comically corrupt or outright murderous to the point of making organised crime groups look responsible

please

they must

If PT wins again, I would say there is no way we don't experience a coup.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Is this fucker really going to attempt a coup or is he testing the waters with his bullshit? Jesus gently caress what a dumb loving country, everything that happened since 2016 has been such a terrible eye-opening disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spivak
May 19, 2010
Porra, sério? Ficava de lurker aqui desde... 2007 talvez. Frequentei com um povo bacana o forum do bosta do izzy nobre, que tambem acabou mesmo depois de migrar. Não consigo usar tweeter ou reddit, vou ter que tentar aprender então?